It is currently 24 Sep 2017, 17:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Source: MGMAT CR Adam will spend $4,000 to rent a booth at

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 256 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Source: MGMAT CR Adam will spend $4,000 to rent a booth at [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2016, 03:30
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 256 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 16

GMAT 1: 580 Q37 V33
GMAT 2: 580 Q39 V31
GMAT 3: 660 Q44 V36
GMAT 4: 560 Q40 V28
GMAT 5: 580 Q37 V32
GMAT 6: 680 Q45 V37
GMAT 7: 690 Q47 V37

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2016, 10:11
I agree with nitin 6305..I actually thought of the weakener on the exact same lines and so was not sure why C is wrong and B is correct.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 16

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 40

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 19:46
nitin6305 wrote:
Pretty much agree with the explanation given for Option B, but do not understand why is Option C ruled out. This Selling Price, which ADAM has decided is based on his poor understanding of the concept of average. He came to the number 400 because he feels he ll be able to garner 400 customers as that is the average and thus chose a price of 10 USD for each sandwich. But what if he is able to garner only 300 customers, or even less? He will be not be able to cover his costs then. Answer choice C exposes this gap of his understanding. Doesn't it weaken (not destry, just casts a doubt) the conclusion?

Exactly my thoughts.

Does Weaken correct answer needs to just "weaken" -- which is a lower bar -- or it needs to destroy (without doubt) the argument? i thought that in weaken questions, only one of the options would be weakening the argument but here both B or C can potentially weaken.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 40

Math Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 872 [0], given: 71

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 11:07
Adam will spend $4,000 to rent a booth at the town’s annual county fair to promote his new Sandwich Shoppe. In previous years, the average food booth at the fair served 400 customers. Thus, in order to cover his costs, Adam has calculated that he must sell 400 sandwiches for $10 each.

Which of the following statements casts the most doubt on Adam’s chances of breaking even at the county fair?

A. Adam should not limit himself to 400 sandwiches; he should be prepared to sell more. - Irrelevant
B. Adam has not factored in the costs of raw materials or labor in calculating the amount of revenue he needs to generate to break even. - Correct - Adam only factors in rental cost but does not considers any other cost
C. If booths in previous years averaged 400 customers, that means some booths served more than 400 and some served fewer than 400. - Irrelevant
D. Many people prefer other types of food to sandwiches. - Irrelevant
E. If Adam shares his booth, and the cost of the rental, with a complementary business, he will not have to sell as many sandwiches to break even. Irrelevant -

Answer B

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 872 [0], given: 71

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 43

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2017, 20:08
BREAK EVEN means recovering the amount spent.
This includes: raw materials+labor+electricity+rent etc
Adam has taken into account only the rent, but he should factor in the other factors as well.
Answer is clearly B.

-Please give me KUDOS, if my posts help you in anyway.
-Please PM me any doubts which you might have, and I will do my level best to help. :)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 43

Re: Source: MGMAT CR Adam will spend $4,000 to rent a booth at   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2017, 20:08

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

Source: MGMAT CR Adam will spend $4,000 to rent a booth at

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap