GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2019, 00:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2861
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2017, 10:32
AR15J wrote:
RMD007 wrote:
AR15J wrote:
however, I selected the right choice, but I did not found the solid reason to reject choice E other than the usage of first name(Friedrich) of Muller. If first name were not there, this choice would be incorrect because present perfect tense is not correct here; however, I don't know why present perfect tense is incorrect. Please explain


Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his career in an unpromising apprenticeship as a Sanskrit scholar and culminated in virtually every honor that European governments and learned societies could bestow.
(E) the career of Muller has begun with an unpromising apprenticeship of

I could think of two reasons why present perfect tense is not correct here.
1. We are talking about two events.
event1: F's career BEGAN as a sanskrit scholar.
event2. It culminated in every honor.
As you can mark, the event 1 has occurred first, so use of present perfect is not correct here. Use of past perfect tense could be allowed.

2. The given sentence is in simple past tense. Unless its meaning is not clear, we should stick to the original sentence. Use of simple past tense does not create any ambiguity here.

Hope this clears your doubt.




Hi Ruchi,

Second point is understood, but this does not give me the solid ground to reject a choice. On the first point, you interpreted event2 : It culminated in every honor
however, I interpreted event2 : It has culminated in every honor.(has was not repeated after and)

so, I considered both events in present perfect


Present perfect is used to depict an event that has begun at a point in past and continues till the present moment.

The movie has begun.
The above sentence implies: the movie still continues - if the movie has already ended, then the present perfect tense "has begun" is wrong - it should be simple past "began".

For the same reason the present perfect in option E is wrong.

Moreover, "apprenticeship of scholar" is wrong.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Status: It's near - I can see.
Joined: 13 Apr 2013
Posts: 1685
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 04:05
souvik101990 wrote:
Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his career in an unpromising apprenticeship as a Sanskrit scholar and culminated in virtually every honor that European governments and learned societies could bestow.


(A) Muller began his career in an unpromising apprenticeship as

(B) Muller’s career began in an unpromising apprenticeship as

(C) Muller’s career began with the unpromising apprenticeship of being

(D) Muller had begun his career with the unpromising apprenticeship of being

(E) the career of Muller has begun with an unpromising apprenticeship of

A. "Muller" is wrong after comma

B. Correct

C. "of being"

D. "Muller had" is worng

E. wrong tense " has begun"
_________________
"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 26 Dec 2016
Posts: 23
Re: Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Apr 2019, 21:31
@souvik101990@mikemcgarry@GMATPill

Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his career in an unpromising apprenticeship as a Sanskrit scholar and culminated in virtually every honor that European governments and learned societies could bestow.

(A) Muller began his career in an unpromising apprenticeship as
(B) Muller’s career began in an unpromising apprenticeship as
(C) Muller’s career began with the unpromising apprenticeship of being
(D) Muller had begun his career with the unpromising apprenticeship of being
(E) the career of Muller has begun with an unpromising apprenticeship of


In option B) both began and culminated are in past tense, but career began first .

Had should be used right?...had begun and culminated.

Please help in clearing my doubt
SVP
SVP
User avatar
V
Status: It's near - I can see.
Joined: 13 Apr 2013
Posts: 1685
Location: India
Concentration: International Business, Operations
Schools: INSEAD Jan '19
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2019, 04:39
1
mahi816 wrote:
@souvik101990@mikemcgarry@GMATPill

Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his career in an unpromising apprenticeship as a Sanskrit scholar and culminated in virtually every honor that European governments and learned societies could bestow.

(A) Muller began his career in an unpromising apprenticeship as
(B) Muller’s career began in an unpromising apprenticeship as
(C) Muller’s career began with the unpromising apprenticeship of being
(D) Muller had begun his career with the unpromising apprenticeship of being
(E) the career of Muller has begun with an unpromising apprenticeship of


In option B) both began and culminated are in past tense, but career began first .

Had should be used right?...had begun and culminated.

Please help in clearing my doubt


There is no need for "had begun" in this sentence as beginning of career can be first year, or may be first two years or more.

For example, If I say : At the beginning of my career I won many awards. This timeline can be extended to 1 year, 2 year or may be 5 years. I may have won all the awards in first 5 years. Therefore, it is not necessary to use "had begun", because in this case I am winning awards at the same time when my career is beginning. In such cases you need to find some other errors.

Use "had" when one action of the past finished before another action of the past.
_________________
"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Dec 2015
Posts: 146
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)
Re: Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2019, 00:14
option b is a clear winner as the rest of the options clearly have more errors, but i have a question.

the phrase *as a sanskrit scholar" has to have a doer right? how can a career be a sanskrit scholar? i understand that we cannot use muller as he cannot span for 50 years. Option B is just the best bet.

could any of the experts help me understand this ?
CEO
CEO
User avatar
V
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 3048
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Re: Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2019, 19:58
aditliverpoolfc wrote:
option b is a clear winner as the rest of the options clearly have more errors, but i have a question.

the phrase *as a sanskrit scholar" has to have a doer right? how can a career be a sanskrit scholar? i understand that we cannot use muller as he cannot span for 50 years. Option B is just the best bet.

could any of the experts help me understand this ?
Hi aditliverpoolfc,

If you are asking about the word career, career as X is a very common way to talk about someone's job/role. For example:

His career as a midfielder came to an end.

Here we are assuming that the his has something to point to, but the more important point is that this sentence is not telling us that his career was a midfielder. It just means that particular ~phase or role is over. That is, he may be a coach now, or a commentator (we don't know, but the point is that he is no longer a midfielder).
_________________
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Dec 2015
Posts: 146
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)
Re: Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2019, 21:11
1
AjiteshArun wrote:
aditliverpoolfc wrote:
option b is a clear winner as the rest of the options clearly have more errors, but i have a question.

the phrase *as a sanskrit scholar" has to have a doer right? how can a career be a sanskrit scholar? i understand that we cannot use muller as he cannot span for 50 years. Option B is just the best bet.

could any of the experts help me understand this ?
Hi aditliverpoolfc,

If you are asking about the word career, career as X is a very common way to talk about someone's job/role. For example:

His career as a midfielder came to an end.

Here we are assuming that the his has something to point to, but the more important point is that this sentence is not telling us that his career was a midfielder. It just means that particular ~phase or role is over. That is, he may be a coach now, or a commentator (we don't know, but the point is that he is no longer a midfielder).


AjiteshArun thank you! I have understood the point

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2019, 21:11

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

Spanning more than fifty years, Friedrich Muller began his

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne