GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Apr 2019, 09:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Spending enormous amounts out of the French treasury, Catherine de Med

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
Spending enormous amounts out of the French treasury, Catherine de Med  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Jul 2017, 07:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

60% (02:05) correct 40% (02:09) wrong based on 133 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Spending enormous amounts out of the French treasury, Catherine de Medici sponsored the construction of numerous edifices and statues during her reign, influenced by the historic buildings of her native Italy and by her admiration for the architectural patronage of her father-in-law, and propelled by a need to commemorate her deceased husband, Henry II.

A. the historic buildings of her native Italy and by her admiration for the architectural patronage of her father-in-law, and propelled by a need to commemorate her deceased husband, Henry II
B. the historic buildings of her native Italy and admiring the architectural patronage of her father-in-law, and propelling the need to commemorate her deceased husband, Henry II
C. the historic buildings of her native Italy, her admiration for the architectural patronage of her father-in-law, and propelled by a need to commemorate her deceased husband, Henry II
D. the building of her historic native Italy and her admiration for the architectural patronage of her father-in-law, and propelled by a need to commemorate her deceased husband, Henry II
E. the building of her historic native Italy and admiring the architectural patronage of her father-in-law, and propelling need to commemorate her deceased husband, Henry II

Originally posted by ruchi857 on 18 Jul 2017, 06:18.
Last edited by abhimahna on 18 Jul 2017, 07:08, edited 1 time in total.
Formatted the question.
Manager
Manager
B
Re: Spending enormous amounts out of the French treasury, Catherine de Med  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 06:21
I had selected C. I don't understand why the admiration part of the sentence need to be seperated by a "and". It can very well be part of the sublist
Manager
Manager
B
Re: Spending enormous amounts out of the French treasury, Catherine de Med  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 06:27
A. the historic buildings of her native Italy and by her admiration for the architectural patronage of her father-in-law, and propelled by a need to commemorate her deceased husband, Henry II CORRECT
B. the historic buildings of her native Italy and admiring the architectural patronage of her father-in-law, and propelling the need to commemorate her deceased husband, Henry II
C. the historic buildings of her native Italy, her admiration for the architectural patronage of her father-in-law, and propelled by a need to commemorate her deceased husband, Henry II
D. the building of her historic native Italy and her admiration for the architectural patronage of her father-in-law, and propelled by a need to commemorate her deceased husband, Henry II
E. the building of her historic native Italy and admiring the architectural patronage of her father-in-law, and propelling need to commemorate her deceased husband, Henry II
Retired Moderator
D
GPA: 3.82
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 06:31
ruchi857 wrote:
Spending enormous amounts out of the French treasury, Catherine de Medici sponsored the construction of numerous edifices and statues during her reign, influenced by the historic buildings of her native Italy and by her admiration for the architectural patronage of her father-in-law, and propelled by a need to commemorate her deceased husband, Henry II.

A. the historic buildings of her native Italy and by her admiration for the architectural patronage of her father-in-law, and propelled by a need to commemorate her deceased husband, Henry II

A. the historic buildings of her native Italy and by her admiration[/color] for the architectural patronage of her father-in-law, and propelled by a need to commemorate her deceased husband, Henry II ------- The two elements "influenced by...." and "propelled by...." are parallel hence Correct
B. the historic buildings of her native Italy and admiring the architectural patronage of her father-in-law, and propelling the need to commemorate her deceased husband, Henry II ------breaks the parallelism
C. the historic buildings of her native Italy, her admiration for the architectural patronage of her father-in-law, and propelled by a need to commemorate her deceased husband, Henry II ------creates illogical lists, breaks the parallelism
D. the building of her historic native Italy and her admiration for the architectural patronage of her father-in-law, and propelled by a need to commemorate her deceased husband, Henry II ------illogical construction
E. the building of her historic native Italy and admiring the architectural patronage of her father-in-law, and propelling need to commemorate her deceased husband, Henry II ------illogical construction, breaks the parallelism
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Spending enormous amounts out of the French treasury, Catherine de Med  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 21:45
Spending enormous amounts out of the French treasury, Catherine de Medici sponsored the construction of numerous edifices and statues during her reign, influenced by the historic buildings of her native Italy and by her admiration for the architectural patronage of her father-in-law, and propelled by a need to commemorate her deceased husband, Henry II

A nice question of Parallelism. Sentence could be read as below

Catherine sponsored X, Influenced by A and by B, and Propelled by C
Points to Note -
1) Influenced by A and by B, and Propelled by C is modifying act that Catherine sponsored the construction
2) A, B & C should be Grammatically and Logically Parallel.

Coming back to options
Correct

Incorrect since B (Admiring) is not grammatically parallel to A (A Noun). Moreover, PROPELLING is not parallel to INFLUENCED. Hence Incorrect.

Incorrect since B (Her Admiration) is not grammatically parallel to "BY A" (A Noun). Hence Incorrect.

Incorrect since B (Her Admiration) is not grammatically parallel to "BY A" (A Noun). Moreover, placement of HISTORIC changes the original intent since the option now means that ITALY was Historic rather than Historic Buildings. Hence Incorrect.

Incorrect since B (Admiring) is not grammatically parallel to "BY A" (A Noun). PROPELLING is not parallel to INFLUENCED. Moreover, placement of HISTORIC changes the original intent since the option now means that ITALY was Historic rather than Historic Buildings. Hence Incorrect.
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 02:50
Thanks for reply elegantm
However I have a discrepancy to mention which surfaced up as I went through the verbed and verbing modifiers by e-gmat.

The concept is this that verbed modifiers modify the closest noun. Even if they are preceded with a comma. However your point that influenced and propelled are modifying the "sponsored", which is a verb is incorrect. Clearly these verbed modifiers past the litmus test but they are modifying the respective noun clauses: historical buildings, admiration and need for....

I do understand now my mistake that I was considering these lists to be parallel to sponsored if I was not taking "and", as per the option C. Because the clause "admiration for the architectural...." needs the modifier in that of "influenced" for the sentence structure to mean what the original sentence conveyed. So the identification as verbed modifiers (influenced, propelled), thus means that 'A' is correct.

Pls let me know if my understanding as per the concept is right.
Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, General Management

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 03:07
ruchi857 wrote:
Thanks for reply elegantm
However I have a discrepancy to mention which surfaced up as I went through the verbed and verbing modifiers by e-gmat.

The concept is this that verbed modifiers modify the closest noun. Even if they are preceded with a comma. However your point that influenced and propelled are modifying the "sponsored", which is a verb is incorrect. Clearly these verbed modifiers past the litmus test but they are modifying the respective noun clauses: historical buildings, admiration and need for....

I do understand now my mistake that I was considering these lists to be parallel to sponsored if I was not taking "and", as per the option C. Because the clause "admiration for the architectural...." needs the modifier in that of "influenced" for the sentence structure to mean what the original sentence conveyed. So the identification as verbed modifiers (influenced, propelled), thus means that 'A' is correct.

Pls let me know if my understanding as per the concept is right.
Thanks

Dear ruchi857,
Firstly,I wrote that INFLUENCED and PROPELLED is modifying an ACT presented in previous sentence.

1) Influenced by A and by B, and Propelled by C is modifying act that Catherine sponsored the construction

Secondly, "Historical buildings", "Her admiration" etc is modifying INFLUENCED
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 04:11
ruchi857 wrote:
I had selected C. I don't understand why the admiration part of the sentence need to be seperated by a "and". It can very well be part of the sublist

"influenced by......and propelled by" should be parallel to each other.

The sentence says, "influence by X and Y, and propelled by Z.
B
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V32
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Jul 2017, 04:37
A .. parallel influenced by x & by y

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2019, 12:35
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Spending enormous amounts out of the French treasury, Catherine de Med   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2019, 12:35

Spending enormous amounts out of the French treasury, Catherine de Med

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap