Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Ross 2010
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Re: Sponsorship, what do you think? [#permalink]
kwam wrote:
Last Friday the company I work for offered me a full sponsorship of my MBA (tuition + living expenses + other helps). Nevertheless, I will have to stay 2 years after graduation with them, or I will have to re-pay with a certain amortization schedule that decreases with the term I stay with them.

I know that at first you’d say: THAT’S GREAT!
However; at the time I graduate (when my hire potential is at its highest) I’ll have to return. Of course they will adjust current salary and stuff, but still I won’t have flexibility.

I talked to Ad Com from GSB and Sloan, and they said that this wouldn’t affect my experience in terms of Career Service, and that actually the only difference is who pay my bills.

I decided to accept this offer, as either way, I have to pay my MBA, and with that I have a “hedge” job.

What do you guys think about it? I mean regarding sponsorships?

This is more or less what I'm hoping to do (still waiting to hear back on the "package" that is offered). But I'm not looking to change industries or job functions, so it makes sense for me. Not sure if this is the case for you. Plus, I wouldn't necessarily expect a significant, if any, pay increase post-MBA if I didn't stick at my current place.

Best of luck!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
With the economy doing what it is, I say you made a great move.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
seems win-win to me
VP
VP
 Q49  V44
Send PM
I understand your thoughts west, but I can assure you that I won't change my mind-set, and I fell that I won't have that big trouble if I want to go elsewhere, what will be hard is that the package is so good, that I will have to pay much more than the budget schools usually show.

Another point, is that with this sponsorship I can pay for my wife's course, and I think that's important.

As I'm not changing industry, just the focus. I could also try to the tricky industries such as HF/PE/VC.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
kwam, do you need to commit now?

There are lots of Deloitters at Fuqua, and they all get reimbursed IF they go back. If they don't go back, they're not reimbursed. Sorta the best of both worlds -- they can go back with a free education, or they're free to change roles. Some will definitely go back, some definitely won't, some are waiting to see how the cookie crumbles.

I take it, though, that you have to decide now-ish, huh?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
kwam, first, CONGRATS on the offer.

I think as long as what you need to pay back isn't a lot more than what your B-school budget and spending will be, and you can "break" out of contract at any time without burning any bridges (make sure you set the right expectations to your employers that you may be leaving), then I'd say GO for it. :)
VP
VP
 Q49  V44
Send PM
aaudetat wrote:
kwam, do you need to commit now?
There are lots of Deloitters at Fuqua, and they all get reimbursed IF they go back. If they don't go back, they're not reimbursed. Sorta the best of both worlds -- they can go back with a free education, or they're free to change roles. Some will definitely go back, some definitely won't, some are waiting to see how the cookie crumbles.

I take it, though, that you have to decide now-ish, huh?

Yes I need to decide (actually they already payed my first GSB deposit. I know that at Mckinsey they also offer this same kind of sponsorship, but for me things are a little bit different. Actually, I'm kind of an guinea pig, because the group has a formal MBA program sponsorship, but I work for the international branch which doesn't have, so I'd be the first sponsored for a FT MBA by the international division.

I agree with you that the other way is better; however, I can't choose everything. Well legally speaking, the biding contract worths zip in the country I'm now and also at my original country, but as I believe in gentleman's shaking hands contract, I'd do the way I'd sleep at night :wink: .

kryzak wrote:
kwam, first, CONGRATS on the offer.

I think as long as what you need to pay back isn't a lot more than what your B-school budget and spending will be, and you can "break" out of contract at any time without burning any bridges (make sure you set the right expectations to your employers that you may be leaving), then I'd say GO for it. :)

The thing is that the person who encouraged me to go for the FT MBA was the first to say: although we're offering this sponsorship, I think you should think of having some flexibility... Of course there's much more behind it, and I can't just throw the facts here, but is pretty much that.

I think I won't burn any bridges as I have always played fairly with everybody. I also know that when they need to lay off, they do in seconds, so sometimes I need (though that's not my personality) to be a little "Machiavellic" (do you guys use this word in English?????). I told them more than 1 year ago that I'd go for a FT MBA, so they knew what was coming (well perhaps they thought that it was a bluff).

Thanks everybody for the inputs, I still think that it's the right thing to accept, in the "worst case" I'd stays with them for at least 2 more years, I'd use the money I saved for my MBA to give my wife education at the incredible School of the Art Institute of Chicago and if she becomes famous, it will worth much more than my MBA :lol:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
well said kwam, good luck with everything! :)

Let me know when you're back in the States again. This time I'll be careful where we go to eat. :P
GMAT Club Bot