It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 08:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Springfi eld Fire Commissioner: The vast majority of false fire alarms

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 26

Re: Springfi eld Fire Commissioner: The vast majority of false fire alarms [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2010, 03:27
I guess it's fine with GMAC to copy n' paste some of their problems online if one has troubles with the explanation, but posting multiple problems as you are doing could be considered as copyright infringement since you don't even mention the source.

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 26

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 21

WE 1: 6 Year, Telecom(GSM)
Re: Springfi eld Fire Commissioner: The vast majority of false fire alarms [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2010, 03:30
PadawanOfTheGMAT wrote:
I guess it's fine with GMAC to copy n' paste some of their problems online if one has troubles with the explanation, but posting multiple problems as you are doing could be considered as copyright infringement since you don't even mention the source.

If i give the source i wont be getting a good explanation by you people.Otherwise i was not having any problem giving the source. and that is why i have not given the OA too.Hope u can understand.

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 21

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 110 [3], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2010, 10:43
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Here you go ...

Answer: A

"virtually everyone has access to a private telephone", which they can use to call in a fire alarm. This would include the people who currently use the fire alarm boxes to make prank calls.
Suppose all the fire alarm boxes are removed. The pranksters can still use their private phones to make phone calls, and so the amount of prank calls will not necessarily be reduced. But if the fire department traces all calls made from private phones and are able to determine where they came from (and potentially the identity of the prank caller), this would discourage the pranksters from calling and would thus probably result in a reduction in the amount of prank calls.

GGG (Gym / GMAT / Girl) -- Be Serious

Its your duty to post OA afterwards; some one must be waiting for that...

Kudos [?]: 110 [3], given: 10

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2010, 13:27
My answer is A.

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 3

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 46

Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2011, 23:26
withme wrote:
Springfield Fire Commissioner: the vast majority of false fire alarms
are prank calls made anonymously from fire alarm boxes on street
corners. Since virtually everyone has access to a private telephone,
these alarm boxes have outlived their usefulness. Therefore, we
propose to remove the boxes. Removing the boxes will reduce the
number of prank calls without hampering people’s ability to report a fire.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the claim that the
proposal, if carried out, will have the announced effect?

A. The fire department traces all alarm calls made from private telephones
and records where they came from.
B. Maintaining the fire alarm boxes costs Springfield approximately
five million dollars annually.
C. A telephone call can provide the fire department with more information
about the nature and size of a fire than can an alarm placed
from an alarm box.
D. Responding to false alarms significantly reduces the fire department’s
capacity for responding to fires.
E. On any given day, a significant percentage of the public telephones
in Springfield are out of service.

Highlight below for the answer.

OA is C. Am not impressed. Am thinking that A answers/supports better than option C, as A negates the Prank calls by tracing back to the person who called, without compromising the ability of the people to report.

Brother OA is A only
you must have seend wrong answer
its 109th question in OG12th edition
go back to the book again
although i got it wrong i marked C :( :( :(

WarLocK

Manager
Manager

Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2011, 23:33
dwivedys wrote:
OK - I wanted to open this up again. Sometime ago this question was disucssed. One source claimed the OA is C with which I agreed. However discussions amidst the august house yielded A as the answer. People did not agree with C.

My reasoning for C is this -

The fact that removing the alarm boxes will eliminate Prank calls has been stated directly in the passage. So, there's no further corroboration required on that front.

C affirms that a Phone call can better describe the size and nature of the fire (thus establishing a direct advantage over a fire alarm call from the sought-to-be-displaced alarm box). Thus C asserts and validates what has been announced in the passage that removing the alarm box will reduce prank calls without hampering people's ability to report fires.

Please provide your opinion(s)

I Agree with your reasoning man
thats why only i chose C as the answer
but unfortunately the OA is A...OG 12th Edition 109th question :roll: :roll:

WarLocK

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2013, 21:31
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2014, 01:36

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

1 KUDOS received
NUS Thread Master
Affiliations: Oracle certified java programmer , adobe certified developer

Kudos [?]: 26 [1], given: 37

GMAT Date: 02-12-2015
GPA: 3.87
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2014, 06:50
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
gmatbull wrote:
Springfield Fire Commissioner: the vast majority of false fire alarms
are prank calls made anonymously from fire alarm boxes on street
corners. Since virtually everyone has access to a private telephone,
these alarm boxes have outlived their usefulness. Therefore, we
propose to remove the boxes. Removing the boxes will reduce the
Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the claim that the
proposal, if carried out, will have the announced effect?

and records where they came from.

B. Maintaining the fire alarm boxes costs Springfield approximately
five million dollars annually.

C. A telephone call can provide the fire department with more information
about the nature and size of a fire than can an alarm placed
from an alarm box.

D. Responding to false alarms significantly reduces the fire department’s
capacity for responding to fires.

E. On any given day, a significant percentage of the public telephones
in Springfield are out of service.

Please, provide explanations for your response. OA to follow later.

got it wrong though , now i understand OA is A

"A. The fire department traces all alarm calls made from private telephones
and records where they came from."

Because conclusion was that they can now receive calls from private phones.. and option A suggest that they are able to receive and process each and every private call.

IF IT IS TO BE , IT IS UP TO ME

Kudos [?]: 26 [1], given: 37

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [1], given: 66

Concentration: Marketing

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2014, 16:42
This post received
KUDOS
Springfield Fire Commissioner: the vast majority of false fire alarms are prank calls made anonymously from fire alarm boxes on street corners. Since virtually everyone has access to a private telephone, these alarm boxes have outlived their usefulness. Therefore, we propose to remove the boxes. Removing the boxes will reduce the number of prank calls without hampering people’s ability to report a fire.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the claim that the proposal, if carried out, will have the announced effect?
The stimulus is a strengthen question. We need to find out what supports the conclusion of the fire commissioner.

His conclusion: Removing the call boxes will reduce the number of prank phone calls without interfering with fire reports.
His premise: Majority of false fire alarms are pranks from anonymous people. Everyone has a private telephone.

So to support the stimulus we need to find an answer choice that will demonstrate why removing the boxes will reduce prank phone calls.

and records where they came from. If the anonymity of the call boxes is what promotes people to make prank phone calls then this is an ideal answer choice. If you remove the anonymity then there will be less prank calls.

B. Maintaining the fire alarm boxes costs Springfield approximately five million dollars annually.
The costs is irrelevant to the prank phone calls made from call boxes.

C. A telephone call can provide the fire department with more information about the nature and size of a fire than can an alarm placed
from an alarm box.
The ability to report more info about a fire is also irrelevant to reducing prank phone calls through the call boxes.

D. Responding to false alarms significantly reduces the fire department’s capacity for responding to fires.
This answer choice involves how to deal with false alarms but it does not discuss how to deal with reducing them.

E. On any given day, a significant percentage of the public telephones in Springfield are out of service.
Still irrelevant to reducing prank phone calls.

Kudos [?]: 57 [1], given: 66

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2015, 11:20

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 154

Concentration: General Management, Economics
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2015, 21:06
Springfield Fire Commissioner: The vast majority of false fire alarms are prank calls made anonymously from fire
alarm boxes on street corners. Since virtually everyone has access to a private telephone, these alarm boxes
have outlived their usefulness. Therefore, we propose to remove the boxes. Removing the boxes will reduce the

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the claim that the proposal, if carried out, will have the
announced effect?

(A) The fire department traces all alarm calls made from private telephones and records where they
came from.
(B) Maintaining the fire alarm boxes costs Springfield approximately $5 million annually.
(C) A telephone call can provide the fire department with more information about the nature and size of a fire
than can an alarm placed from an alarm box.
(D) Responding to false alarms significantly reduces the fire department’s capacity for responding to fires.
(E) On any given day, a significant percentage of the public telephones in Springfield are out of service.

Believe you can and you are halfway there-Theodore Roosevelt

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 154

Math Forum Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 1088 [0], given: 325

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2015, 04:41
This post was
BOOKMARKED
guhabhishek wrote:
Springfield Fire Commissioner: The vast majority of false fire alarms are prank calls made anonymously from fire alarm boxes on street corners. Since virtually everyone has access to a private telephone, these alarm boxes have outlived their usefulness. Therefore, we propose to remove the boxes. Removing the boxes will reduce the number of prank calls without hampering people’s ability to report a fire.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the claim that the proposal, if carried out, will have the announced effect?

Powerscore CR Bible states for Strengthens Questions suing the following steps -

1. Identify the conclusion - Therefore, we propose to remove the boxes.
2. Personalize the argument - Removing the alarm boxes will reduce prank calls , however the fire incidents are reported by private telephones.
3. Look for weakness in the argument - Removing the boxes will reduce the number of prank calls but it will hamper people’s ability to report a fire.

Now check the options -

4. Argument of analogy/surveys - strengthen the analogy
5. Correct argument will strengthen the argument just a Little / Lot

Quote:
(A) The fire department traces all alarm calls made from private telephones and records where they came from
(B) Maintaining the fire alarm boxes costs Springfield approximately $5 million annually.
(C) A telephone call can provide the fire department with more information about the nature and size of a fire than can an alarm placed from an alarm box.
(D) Responding to false alarms significantly reduces the fire department’s capacity for responding to fires.
(E) On any given day, a significant percentage of the public telephones in Springfield are out of service.

The fire department traces all alarm calls made from private telephones and( false alarm calls can be reduced) records where they came from ( Functions as an alarm Box)

Hence correct Answer is (A)

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1088 [0], given: 325

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2015, 01:59
Premise: false fire alarms – prank calls in fire alarm boxes. Everyone access telephone – remove the boxes.
Conclusion: reduce prank call by removing the boxes – not hampering ability to report fire.
Choice B, C, D and E are not relevant. They do not mention about how to reduce the number of prank call.
Choice A, reducing prank call, for fire department know exactly who called. It strengthens the argument.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 18

GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2015, 09:29
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Conclusion : To remove the boxes. Removing the boxes will reduce the

Analysis
(A) The fire department traces all alarm calls made from private telephones and records where they
came from. - Correct Since easily track location of the fire and caller. So prank calls will be reduced.
(B) Maintaining the fire alarm boxes costs Springfield approximately $5 million annually. - Out of scopre :Argument does not talk about operating cost
(C) A telephone call can provide the fire department with more information about the nature and size of a fire
than can an alarm placed from an alarm box. - A telephone call can not be considered as fire alarm call
(D) Responding to false alarms significantly reduces the fire department’s capacity for responding to fires. - Weakens the conclusion
(E) On any given day, a significant percentage of the public telephones in Springfield are out of service.- Irrelevant

Hence A is the best choice !

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 18

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 18

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2017, 17:53
came from.
Correct answer
out of scope since there is no mention of the financial aspect of the plan
than can an alarm placed from an alarm box.
out of scope since calls can still be made with many phones available
does effect the plan and the reasoning but the plan does not solely depend on the point and this does not directly support the argument.
out of scope

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 18

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3324 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2017, 21:52
sleepynut wrote:
Hi expert,
The conclusion is the proposal to removal fire alarm boxes.Removing such boxes will reduce the number of prank calls without hampering people's ability to report a fire.

I could hardly eliminate option C.In my 2 cents,option C ensures that removing such boxes won't cause any difficulties to report a fire;hence it is a good contender.Option A is also another good contender;it states that fire department can trace the call;hence,the department can somehow limit the false alarm,if any, from telephone as it can directly get to the culprit.

Could you please share your thoughts for these 2 options?

The argument is about reporting of genuine fire incidents. How much information about a particular fire is reported is not relevant. The correct option should highlight an advantage of the phones over the alarm boxes in reducing the number of anonymous prank calls, not in any other aspect (such as more information). Hence option A is better than option C.

Kudos [?]: 3324 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2017, 09:15
Hi,
I didn't get the meaning of "there is still possibility that the only person aware that a fire has started near an alarm box but lacks access to a telephone. " in the answer of OG for C. Is there any further explanation?

Thanks a million~

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 8

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 161

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2017, 10:12
Jez0612 wrote:
Hi,
I didn't get the meaning of "there is still possibility that the only person aware that a fire has started near an alarm box but lacks access to a telephone. " in the answer of OG for C. Is there any further explanation?

Thanks a million~

This is an excerpt from official option E , which weakens the claim mentioned in the passage. To weaken the claim, our reasoning should focus on proving that removal of fire alarm boxes must not take place. So, as per the situation given, if there is a fire in an area and public telephones aren't functional, then how would a witnessee inform the fire department if he doesn't have a personal phone? So this option is suggestive of rejecting the proposal of removing fire alarm boxes and rely on private telephones. Hence weakens the claim.

sayantanc2k wrote:
sleepynut wrote:
Hi expert,
The conclusion is the proposal to removal fire alarm boxes.Removing such boxes will reduce the number of prank calls without hampering people's ability to report a fire.

I could hardly eliminate option C.In my 2 cents,option C ensures that removing such boxes won't cause any difficulties to report a fire;hence it is a good contender.Option A is also another good contender;it states that fire department can trace the call;hence,the department can somehow limit the false alarm,if any, from telephone as it can directly get to the culprit.

Could you please share your thoughts for these 2 options?

The argument is about reporting of genuine fire incidents. How much information about a particular fire is reported is not relevant. The correct option should highlight an advantage of the phones over the alarm boxes in reducing the number of anonymous prank calls, not in any other aspect (such as more information). Hence option A is better than option C.

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 161

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2017, 03:20
jerrywu wrote:
Springfield Fire Commissioner: the vast majority of false fire alarms are prank calls made anonymously from fire alarm boxes on street corners. Since virtually everyone has access to a private telephone, these alarm boxes have outlived their usefulness. Therefore, we propose to remove the boxes. Removing the boxes will reduce the number of prank calls without hampering people's ability to report a fire.

A. The fire department traces all alarm calls made from private telephones and records where they came from.

B. Maintaining the fire alarm boxes costs Springfield approximately five million dollars annually.

C. A telephone call can provide the fire department with more information about the nature and size of a fire than can an alarm placed from an alarm box.

D. Responding to false alarms significantly reduces the fire department's capacity for responding to fires.

E. On any given day, a significant percentage of the public telephones in Springfield are out of service.

alway criticize the argument even it is strengthen questions. the opposite of the weakener will be the answer.

conclusion: reducing the box will reduce false call. the private phone will reduce the false call

criticize: what if the private phone dose not reduce false call because we can not trace the private phone numbers
bingo
go to answer choices. A match the opposite to what we prethink.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 916

Re: Springfi eld Fire Commissioner: The vast majority of false fire alarms   [#permalink] 12 Jun 2017, 03:20

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 64 posts ] 

Springfi eld Fire Commissioner: The vast majority of false fire alarms

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap