GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2019, 04:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Spurred by a miserable defeat on the court last weekend, John is now d

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2015
Posts: 826
Location: Switzerland
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Spurred by a miserable defeat on the court last weekend, John is now d  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2015, 04:39
1
13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

34% (01:21) correct 66% (01:27) wrong based on 352 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Spurred by a miserable defeat on the court last weekend, John is now determined to train so hard that he may play tennis as well as Jane.

A. John is now determined to train so hard that he may play tennis as well as Jane
B. John is now determined to train hard to such a large degree that he may play tennis as well as Jane
C. John and Jane are determined now to train so hard that they may play tennis well
D. John has now determined to train hard enough to match Jane's skill
E. John is now determined to train so hard as to be able to play tennis as well as Jane

_________________
Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 May 2015
Posts: 29
Re: Spurred by a miserable defeat on the court last weekend, John is now d  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2015, 18:53
A? Think there is no ambiguity here..as Tom only can play tennis?
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Jul 2014
Posts: 161
Location: United States
Schools: Duke '20 (D)
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.2
Reviews Badge
Re: Spurred by a miserable defeat on the court last weekend, John is now d  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2015, 21:34
got down to A vs E - Why not E? why A?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 21 Jun 2015
Posts: 103
Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 2.61
Re: Spurred by a miserable defeat on the court last weekend, John is now d  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2015, 04:10
Confused between A and E. Why E is incorrect ?
Director
Director
avatar
S
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 754
Re: Spurred by a miserable defeat on the court last weekend, John is now d  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2015, 19:14
reto wrote:
Spurred by a miserable defeat on the court last weekend, John is now determined to train so hard that he may play tennis as well as Jane.

A. John is now determined to train so hard that he may play tennis as well as Jane
B. John is now determined to train hard to such a large degree that he may play tennis as well as Jane
C. John and Jane are determined now to train so hard that they may play tennis well
D. John has now determined to train hard enough to match Jane's skill
E. John is now determined to train so hard as to be able to play tennis as well as Jane


a similar question in old og 11, "so that he could marry..."

B is wordy
C change the intended meaing. there is no reason to change meaning of choice A
D, has "enough" which is not idiomatic.
E, to be able shows a certainty. not logic here, . the possibility presented by "may" in A is better.
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Status: GMAT Expert
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 272
Location: India
Re: Spurred by a miserable defeat on the court last weekend, John is now d  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2015, 05:08
Not much difference between "So X that Y" vs " So X as to Y" idiom usage.

As a rule - (GMAT preferred) - So X that Y is preferred to So x as to Y.
_________________
Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 167
Location: India
GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Spurred by a miserable defeat on the court last weekend, John is now d  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2015, 06:52
In A) we have "he may play tennis as well as Jane". How can John play Jane? We have ambiguity over here. Can someone please guide.
_________________
Middle of nowhere!
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Status: GMAT Expert
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 272
Location: India
Spurred by a miserable defeat on the court last weekend, John is now d  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2015, 21:06
In the sentence, "as well as " is used. This shows comparison. Comparison is between John's play and Jane's play. There is concept of ellipsis in this bit.

John is not playing jane. The sentence is "John is now determined to train so hard that he may play tennis as well as Jane (Jane plays tennis)" The part plays tennis is removed - Ellipsis concept.
_________________
Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Apr 2015
Posts: 38
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: UFlorida '18, UFL '17
Re: Spurred by a miserable defeat on the court last weekend, John is now d  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2015, 07:55
1
Can anyone explain why cannot it be D as it removes the ambiguity cited in A.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Jul 2011
Posts: 167
Location: India
GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Spurred by a miserable defeat on the court last weekend, John is now d  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2015, 08:44
vinnisatija wrote:
Can anyone explain why cannot it be D as it removes the ambiguity cited in A.


In D, usage of "has" is incorrect. It should be "is".

In original sentence author intend to say at this point of time for which usage of "is" is more apt.

Please correct me if I am wrong.


thangvietnam can you please point to some article/explain more why usage of "enough" is unidiomatic in D.
_________________
Middle of nowhere!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Status: GMAT Coach
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 141
Location: Peru
GPA: 3.98
Re: Spurred by a miserable defeat on the court last weekend, John is now d  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2016, 07:24
rohitmanglik wrote:
In A) we have "he may play tennis as well as Jane". How can John play Jane? We have ambiguity over here. Can someone please guide.



A. John is now determined to train so hard that he may play tennis as well as Jane [does]

With the verb plays or the auxiliary does, the sentence would be clearer, but we can omit the verb to make the sentencs more concise.
_________________
Clipper Ledgard
GMAT Coach
Retired Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jun 2016
Posts: 501
Location: India
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Spurred by a miserable defeat on the court last weekend, John is now d  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 22:45
Hi mikemcgarry,

Can you please explain to me why E is NOT correct in this sentence ?

Thank you in advance for your support.
_________________
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
G
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 4484
Re: Spurred by a miserable defeat on the court last weekend, John is now d  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 14:51
2
mihir0710 wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry,

Can you please explain to me why E is NOT correct in this sentence ?

Thank you in advance for your support.

Dear mihir0710

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, this is an atrociously bad question. It is an embarrassment. First of all, the conversational topic is not at all like the academic topics of the official SC questions. Also, a high quality SC question has one clearly right answer and four incorrect choices that are incorrect for unambiguous reasons. This SC question is simply a mess.

Spurred by a miserable defeat on the court last weekend, John is now determined to train so hard that he may play tennis as well as Jane.
A. John is now determined to train so hard that he may play tennis as well as Jane

This is the question writer's OA. Was the question writer a native English speaker? This is strangely off--it's 100% grammatically correct, but somewhat awkward. The use of "may" is particularly awkward.

B. John is now determined to train hard to such a large degree that he may play tennis as well as Jane
Grammatically correct, but awkward. Not necessarily much more awkward than (A).

C. John and Jane are determined now to train so hard that they may play tennis well
Obviously, this changes the meaning. This is a horrible wrong answer, only because it's entirely self-evident that it's wrong!

D. John has now determined to train hard enough to match Jane's skill
I actually think this is the strongest answer--it conveys the meaning in a far more elegant way. The present perfect is unusual, admittedly. This is certainly not wrong in any discernible way.

E. John is now determined to train so hard as to be able to play tennis as well as Jane
This is a little wordy. It's always a bit awkward to combine the "so [adjective] as to" with "to be able to do X." It's too many words to convey that idea. For example, we could say:
John is now determined to train so hard that he can play tennis as well as Jane
John is now determined to train so hard in tennis that he can match Jane
That last version is a particularly compact way to convey the meaning.

As someone who write questions for a living, I would give this question a grade of an F. It's a complete failure. The topic & tone don't match official questions. The logic is sloppy. It's unclear exactly what GMAT SC principle this question is even trying to test. It is as if the question were written by someone with almost no idea of how official questions are structured.

Here's a high quality SC practice question:
What the eye sees

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________
Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep


Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)
Retired Moderator
avatar
P
Joined: 17 Jun 2016
Posts: 501
Location: India
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Spurred by a miserable defeat on the court last weekend, John is now d  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2017, 22:57
mikemcgarry wrote:
mihir0710 wrote:
Hi mikemcgarry,

Can you please explain to me why E is NOT correct in this sentence ?

Thank you in advance for your support.

Dear mihir0710

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, this is an atrociously bad question. It is an embarrassment. First of all, the conversational topic is not at all like the academic topics of the official SC questions. Also, a high quality SC question has one clearly right answer and four incorrect choices that are incorrect for unambiguous reasons. This SC question is simply a mess.

Spurred by a miserable defeat on the court last weekend, John is now determined to train so hard that he may play tennis as well as Jane.
A. John is now determined to train so hard that he may play tennis as well as Jane

This is the question writer's OA. Was the question writer a native English speaker? This is strangely off--it's 100% grammatically correct, but somewhat awkward. The use of "may" is particularly awkward.

B. John is now determined to train hard to such a large degree that he may play tennis as well as Jane
Grammatically correct, but awkward. Not necessarily much more awkward than (A).

C. John and Jane are determined now to train so hard that they may play tennis well
Obviously, this changes the meaning. This is a horrible wrong answer, only because it's entirely self-evident that it's wrong!

D. John has now determined to train hard enough to match Jane's skill
I actually think this is the strongest answer--it conveys the meaning in a far more elegant way. The present perfect is unusual, admittedly. This is certainly not wrong in any discernible way.

E. John is now determined to train so hard as to be able to play tennis as well as Jane
This is a little wordy. It's always a bit awkward to combine the "so [adjective] as to" with "to be able to do X." It's too many words to convey that idea. For example, we could say:
John is now determined to train so hard that he can play tennis as well as Jane
John is now determined to train so hard in tennis that he can match Jane
That last version is a particularly compact way to convey the meaning.

As someone who write questions for a living, I would give this question a grade of an F. It's a complete failure. The topic & tone don't match official questions. The logic is sloppy. It's unclear exactly what GMAT SC principle this question is even trying to test. It is as if the question were written by someone with almost no idea of how official questions are structured.

Here's a high quality SC practice question:
What the eye sees

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)


Thank you so much sir ...really appreciate the response.
_________________
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 31 Oct 2016
Posts: 106
Re: Spurred by a miserable defeat on the court last weekend, John is now d  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2017, 01:36
A for me is correct one. I think, E is too wordy
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 5201
Re: Spurred by a miserable defeat on the court last weekend, John is now d  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2019, 20:06
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Spurred by a miserable defeat on the court last weekend, John is now d   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2019, 20:06
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Spurred by a miserable defeat on the court last weekend, John is now d

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





cron

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne