Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Finance
Schools: Cambridge
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.9
WE:Accounting (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: SSE Finance [#permalink]
liftoff wrote:
waltiebikkiebal wrote:
Can someone shed a light on the program?

Im thinking about applying for the 2013 intake. Im particulary wondering about the placement in London, and the admission requirements.
I've heard that the admission office, only reviews your GMAT score.

Thanks.

By SSE do you mean the Stockholm School of Economics?

Yes, I do. Any insight would be highly appreciated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Finance
Schools: Cambridge
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.9
WE:Accounting (Education)
Send PM
I heard the same thing. But I did more research and it turns out the GMAT score overwhelming contributes to you get accepted. Looks like the current GMAT average of accepted students is around 680. Also read the London placement is right up there with the best schools. If you do your homework and put in the work you can land the London jobs. I am also applying in December. So we can share our experience and everything related.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Hi all,

are there any SSE MSc Econ/Fin applicants here? I sent my documents yesterday.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Quote:
Hi all,

are there any SSE MSc Econ/Fin applicants here? I sent my documents yesterday.

Hi, l0nging
I also applied to SSE. what is your profile?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have 740 on my gmat (q 50 v 40). gpa approximately 3.6, good extra-curricular activities but i do not think they play an important role. plus several internships in banks and 1 year in family business. Did anyone else here applied to SSE here?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi kad,

22/ f / Eastern European / EU

710 GMAT (48 Q 39 V)
I study in Germany, so no idea how my grades are converted, however nothing spectacular / Business with Risk Management and Law
WE: 2 years 4 months - Management, PR, Marketing, Finance + 1 year Photography ( professionally, but I listed it as EC)
CFA Level I candidate (not that anyone cares) + some EC

However, MSc Economics is my first preference and not Finance.

But I don't think you should worry, I bet you're in ;)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hei, l0nging
you have solid background. i contacted admission office and the average gmat scores for last years were Accounting & Financial Management (score was 653) and Corporate Finance or Investment Management (score 680). I do not know about Economics , but i think smth in between. did you applied to other schools?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Not yet, but I will also apply to RSM, St. Gallen (that will be a long shot, but I'll try anyway), Bocconi, EM Lyon and ESADE. SSE would be my first choice if I get admitted. What about you?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I will apply to several German unis, but sse is my also top choice. by the way do you plan to get PhD after masters in economics?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Kad, I want to do Finance later, but I applied to that program because of the Double Degree option. The other programs to which I will apply are all finance related.

If you're not from Germany I may be able to share my two cents about the universities. PM me if I can help.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hei, l0nging, thanks for help. If i do not get admission sse with scholarship. I will probably apply to Mannheim business school. From my research it is respectable uni with cool double degree programs. What do you think?did you heard about it?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I heard about Frankfurt Business School ,but i think it is too expansive 15k euros . I will not afford it. so Mannheim is a back up option for me. By the way what is the reputation of sse in germany? i could go for exchange to some German unis or to St. gallen. I heard that st gallen enjoys Harvard reputation in german speaking countries. Why did you decided not to continue your education in Germany ? large economy and better job opportunities than in France, Spain or Italy. you could reply in PM, in case it is personal.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kad wrote:
I heard about Frankfurt Business School ,but i think it is too expansive 15k euros . I will not afford it. so Mannheim is a back up option for me. By the way what is the reputation of sse in germany? i could go for exchange to some German unis or to St. gallen. I heard that st gallen enjoys Harvard reputation in german speaking countries. Why did you decided not to continue your education in Germany ? large economy and better job opportunities than in France, Spain or Italy. you could reply in PM, in case it is personal.

Oh, it's fine, I'll just answer here in case someone is interested :-)

First, I must admit SSE is for some reason not at all that well known in Germany, but it does not really mean anything. There are of course a lot of people that would attest it's a great school. Germans are simply more familiar with the UK universities, some of the French ones enjoy a great reputation as well (HEC Paris, EDHEC and so on... so I mean the ones, that are well known in Europe generally), ESADE is, I get the impression, also quite popular. WHU is another German university that is very reputable (here). St. Gallen is probably the best known university for business/finance in the German speaking region, that is absolutely true.

I will (hopefully) graduate soon, I have worked for more than 2 years in Germany, and I am fluent in German, so in case I want to go back and work here after I get my masters it won't be any problem for me. I do not see the point in doing a masters degree here, when I can do it in another country, get to know another culture and learn a new language :-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
l0nging wrote:
I will (hopefully) graduate soon, I have worked for more than 2 years in Germany, and I am fluent in German, so in case I want to go back and work here after I get my masters it won't be any problem for me. I do not see the point in doing a masters degree here, when I can do it in another country, get to know another culture and learn a new language :-)

I see your point . receive bachelor degree from one country and master from another looks really cool) I am not from European Union so in my case SSE is ideal option , where i could get full funding and get good education. why did you decided sse as the first priority ?you have good profile why not smth more prestigious HEC or LSE?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
by the way here several threads about application to sse from last year
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2189930&highlight=sse

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2189930&highlight=sse
in case you have not seen them :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
haha, thanks, I have read all of the posts. I believe I have read every thread concerning SSE actually. I am sure I won't get admitted to LSE because of my grades - there are a lot of people with similar profiles and waaaay better GPA. I have thought about applying to HEC but I will be genuinely surprised if I get in as well :D Plus, these schools are also expensive. And that's the one thing, living costs in Paris/London are also high. So I cross fingers to get admitted to SSE. I always wanted to go to the Nordic countries.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Well then your are very informed person about application to SSE :-D

Regarding HEC, I also wanted to apply to this uni but one of my friend who was top student in his uni and had gmat 760 was not even invited on the interview. From my impression and talks with current students, Hec seriously discriminates people from unknown unis( hope we could get to sse!

l0nging wrote:
I always wanted to go to the Nordic countries.
Same as you , I always was attracted by Nordic countries.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts