Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: St.Gallen SIM 2017 [#permalink]
HWese7 wrote:
Thank you. I have HEC and Rotterdam now!

Congrats man. Really well done! :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
Hi,

I was just wondering whether there is a FB group (or similar) for those starting the SIM later this year? And whether people are already looking for a flat(share) etc.?

All the best,

Li
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dadali wrote:
Hi,

I was just wondering whether there is a FB group (or similar) for those starting the SIM later this year? And whether people are already looking for a flat(share) etc.?

All the best,

Li

Hey Li,

if you got accepted to the programme (which I assume), then you'll get invited to the closed FB group. There you also find some info about flats. :) Congrats on your offer and see you in 3 months.

Best,
Daniel
Intern
Intern
Schools: Ivey '21 (I)
Send PM
Hi. I'm planning to apply to St. Gallen in Q1 2019. I have not taken the GMAT yet. However, can anyone kindly evaluate the profile that I have right now?

24 y/o. BS Business Administration graduate. Top University in the Philippines. So-so grades.
Executive member of a Finance Organization. We basically picked up this organization from the ground, and made it the breakthrough organization of the year. I won the best business event, as well.
2-mo Auditing internship experience with Johnson and Johnson Philippines.
Right after grad, I came to Qatar to work in one of the country's largest corporations. This exp is very international. I'm working with close to 10 different nationalities everyday.
I'm part of the CFO team - business partner (working closely with 2 businesses plus maybe 3 others adhoc, figures out what the GM needs and delivers those, basically creating reports so the GMs will know what to focus on, budgeting, forecasting, m&a, etc..). I've been at it for close to 3 years now.
IELTS - i haven't taken it yet but i'm confident i can score 8+.
GMAT - I haven't taken it yet. I'm not a very strong test taker. I'm assuming average score.
Passed the CFA Level 1.

Hobbies:
I'm a solo female traveler. I also dab on the couchsurfing community (interacting with strangers and fellow travelers while out and about in a foreign country). I like the budget traveling. I prefer the backpacking type vs the luxurious journey.
I read TONS of different genre (young adult, non-fiction, classic, you name it).
I play chess for fun.
I like makeup.

What do you think? :(
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey Gela,

You have good chances of getting in St. Gallen. You have got international experience which is a good sign. The fact that you’ve worked with a known brand like Johnson and Johnson also works in your favour. Also, CFA level 1 is a good addition and improves your application. For GMAT, you should aim for 690+.
Lastly, having hobbies & interests is great, but it won't be considered valuable by schools until you can show that you created some positive impact via it, on yourself or on your surroundings.
If you want help in this direction, you can avail our services. Check out this link for the same: https://www.mim-essay.com/consulting-services/
We had over 6 admits in St Gallen the last year alone and can surely help you out.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Ivey '21 (I)
Send PM
Abhyank wrote:
Hey Gela,

You have good chances of getting in St. Gallen. You have got international experience which is a good sign. The fact that you’ve worked with a known brand like Johnson and Johnson also works in your favour. Also, CFA level 1 is a good addition and improves your application. For GMAT, you should aim for 690+.
Lastly, having hobbies & interests is great, but it won't be considered valuable by schools until you can show that you created some positive impact via it, on yourself or on your surroundings.
If you want help in this direction, you can avail our services. Check out this link for the same:
We had over 6 admits in St Gallen the last year alone and can surely help you out.

Your reply helps! Thank you so much! i'll consider your offer after I'm done with my GMAT. I believe I should focus on that for now. Your comments on my hobbies surely are helpful. I was just thinking along the lines of "not being seen as a one-dimensional academic". Your angle is indeed relevant.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hey everyone! So I just barely graduated from college in Vietnam and I've decided to pursue my master degree at USg. So here are some of my info:
- My overall GPA was 2.79/4.0 from the National Academy of Finance (which is a top-tier school in my country but internationally speaking it isn't really significant)
- Interned 3 months at BIDV (one of the Big4 in Vietnam)
- Ielts: I took it 7 yrs ago n got 6.5 but now I'm sure I can get above 7.0
- During my 1st + 2nd year in college, I worked part time as a TA for an English center and also organized flea markets, pretty successful for half year/
Then I became a private tutor for this kid who's a sole heiress to VN first-ever budget airline
Also during the mean time, I took some works as an event executive and personal assistant, working at concerts with famous DJs like Alan Walker, Tiesto, Hardwell and a Haute Couture designer when he came to Vietnam for a fashion week

I just took a mock-GMAT-test with 2 sections (1hr) and I got 81%, which is like 640~ and I'm definitely working on that.
So please, if anyone can be so kind to look at my profile and give me some assessments, I'll be very grateful
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
Hey Guys,

I heard from many sources, that it is easier to get into the masters of the top ranked universities (ESADE, HEC, etc.) if you are applying for the first round. Is that also something you can recommend for St. Gallen?
And it would be great if someone can give me an estimation on weather the number of points is enough to get me admitted.

Profile:

24/y
Bachelor Business Administration Student at University the University of St. Gallen (Coming home :D)
Grades: 5.0 (which sucks because I am loosing 5 Points here) = 10P

GMAT: I will take the exam next week (690-710 is my range) = 10P

Extracurricular = 17-18P:
- 6mo Audit internship at KPMG
- President of marketing club at university
- Build a successful start-up company
- Visiting lecturer for entrepreneurship at the executive mba at the University of St Gallen
- I start now at Oliver Wyman as a consultant
- Only Problem is that I have no exchange semester

Essay Will be good but not great = 8P

Video Interview = I am very good in presentation and personal communication so it should be good = 25P

Makes in total: 70 - 71 P

Because I think this might be too low I plan on directly applying for the first round. Does that make sense?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
@
SianeLuuna wrote:
Nipson wrote:
Hi guys,
I'm also preparing my application for the SIM 2017: hopefully I'll take the gmat before March 10th, so that I'll be able to submit everything before the final round. Would you mind sharing your personal background and work experience? I heard several people saying that St. Gallen usually prioritize such experiences!

Hi Nipson !

The University of St. Gallen has different admissions conditions and processes for each of their masters. If you're interested in the SIM, then you must already know that they rank the candidates by giving them points for the different parts of their application. Here are the four parts and their respective weight (you can find the grading system for the GPA and GMAT explained in a file available on their site) :

GPA : 20 pts
GMAT score : 20 pts
CV : 20 pts
Essay : 10 pts
Video ITW : 30 pts

As you can see, only the CV really allows you to briefly present your personal background and work experience (I personnaly used the "social and other skills" part of the CV to develop in more details how each item of my personal background, work experience and extra-curricular activities helped me grow and what competencies/lessons I learned from them). Moreover, you might get one or at most two questions during the interview which could enable you to quickly mention those, but even that is quite limited, as 1 to 2 minutes questions don't give you much time to elaborate.

All in all, even if they are important, I think you don't need to have a lot of work experience or other personal background to get admitted, as it doesn't seem to me to be the major focus of the application process. Just make the most of what you have by emphasing what they taught you and you should be fine. On the other hand, a weak academic record paired with a GMAT below 700 might make it more difficult to get in in my view.

Finally to answer your question, here is my profile :

22 y.o, with three nationalities (French, Swiss and Tunisian), currently finishing a Bachelor in Business Administration and Finance in a well - but not top - ranked business school in France. I moved from France to Switzerland and back several times during my life, so I have quite a "bi-national" profile.
GPA : 5.4/6 (from 5.4 to 5.7, depending on how they made their calculations)
GMAT : 750
1 semester exchange in Cass Business School, in London.
2 internships : - 2 months in an event management company in Paris
- 6 months in a luxury retail start up in another french city
A few extracurricular activities (dance, lyrical singing), and one voluntary project for a NGO. Nothing remarkable otherwise, I didn't win any medal or other competitions during my hobbies.
Languages : French, English and a bit of German (B1/B2 level).

I hope this helps you ! If you, or anyone reading, are in the middle of your preparation for the application and reading this was a pain, please don't let it bum you out !

I too, before passing the GMAT (and even afterwards !), thought I had zero chance of being admitted. No fancy internship, no top-ranked school, no major achievement in whatever hobbies I had... So I just worked hard to get the best GMAT I could, and tried to present the little value my profile had in the best light possible.
So give it your all !

Good luck for your GMAT and application,
and don't hesitate to ask if you have other questions ;)

Hii
I am a final year student pursuing B.Pharm from one of the top colleges in India. I don't have enough internships and extracurricular awards. Being a fresher I plan to take GMAT by 30th March 2019. Do I have a chance to get selected in ST.GALLENS if I get 740+ in gmat without any good personal background and if not hw can I build it up?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 273 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Shikhar26 wrote:
@
SianeLuuna wrote:
Nipson wrote:
Hi guys,
I'm also preparing my application for the SIM 2017: hopefully I'll take the gmat before March 10th, so that I'll be able to submit everything before the final round. Would you mind sharing your personal background and work experience? I heard several people saying that St. Gallen usually prioritize such experiences!

Hi Nipson !

The University of St. Gallen has different admissions conditions and processes for each of their masters. If you're interested in the SIM, then you must already know that they rank the candidates by giving them points for the different parts of their application. Here are the four parts and their respective weight (you can find the grading system for the GPA and GMAT explained in a file available on their site) :

GPA : 20 pts
GMAT score : 20 pts
CV : 20 pts
Essay : 10 pts
Video ITW : 30 pts

As you can see, only the CV really allows you to briefly present your personal background and work experience (I personnaly used the "social and other skills" part of the CV to develop in more details how each item of my personal background, work experience and extra-curricular activities helped me grow and what competencies/lessons I learned from them). Moreover, you might get one or at most two questions during the interview which could enable you to quickly mention those, but even that is quite limited, as 1 to 2 minutes questions don't give you much time to elaborate.

All in all, even if they are important, I think you don't need to have a lot of work experience or other personal background to get admitted, as it doesn't seem to me to be the major focus of the application process. Just make the most of what you have by emphasing what they taught you and you should be fine. On the other hand, a weak academic record paired with a GMAT below 700 might make it more difficult to get in in my view.

Finally to answer your question, here is my profile :

22 y.o, with three nationalities (French, Swiss and Tunisian), currently finishing a Bachelor in Business Administration and Finance in a well - but not top - ranked business school in France. I moved from France to Switzerland and back several times during my life, so I have quite a "bi-national" profile.
GPA : 5.4/6 (from 5.4 to 5.7, depending on how they made their calculations)
GMAT : 750
1 semester exchange in Cass Business School, in London.
2 internships : - 2 months in an event management company in Paris
- 6 months in a luxury retail start up in another french city
A few extracurricular activities (dance, lyrical singing), and one voluntary project for a NGO. Nothing remarkable otherwise, I didn't win any medal or other competitions during my hobbies.
Languages : French, English and a bit of German (B1/B2 level).

I hope this helps you ! If you, or anyone reading, are in the middle of your preparation for the application and reading this was a pain, please don't let it bum you out !

I too, before passing the GMAT (and even afterwards !), thought I had zero chance of being admitted. No fancy internship, no top-ranked school, no major achievement in whatever hobbies I had... So I just worked hard to get the best GMAT I could, and tried to present the little value my profile had in the best light possible.
So give it your all !

Good luck for your GMAT and application,
and don't hesitate to ask if you have other questions ;)

Hii
I am a final year student pursuing B.Pharm from one of the top colleges in India. I don't have enough internships and extracurricular awards. Being a fresher I plan to take GMAT by 30th March 2019. Do I have a chance to get selected in ST.GALLENS if I get 740+ in gmat without any good personal background and if not hw can I build it up?

Sorry to break this to you, but you aren't eligible for St. Gallen. You need to have graduation in a business related field.
However you should try for HEC Paris and the likes.
Good Luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am planning to apply for the fall 2020 intake for SIM program... How is my profile in that regard??
I am pursuing Bachelor of Commerce from Hindu College( one of the best colleges in the country). Cgpa is 8/10 ( will improve in my next semester.
10th-10 cgpa
12th-96.6%

Certifications- Cleared FRM( Financial risk Manager level1)
Will attempt CFA level 1 in December. Knowledge of German till A2.

Experience- Done a 4 month finance internship based on technical analysis( options, futures amd strategies)
Planning to do another two month internship in june/july.

GMAT- preparation in full flow. Will take the attempt in july. Targetting 720+

Extracurriculars- Founder/Manager of Traders for tomorrow club in college, conducted debates on trending topics- Bitcoin bubble, US-CHINA trade wars, organised cultural events.

Working on my social impact towards the society..

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Hi everyone,

as your answers have been really helpful for me when I was preparing for the interview, I just wanted to quickly state what my questions were (Intake September 2019):

Please note, that the concrete question might have been different, this is just what I remember:
1. SIM students are shaping the world and the culture of the future. Are you ready for this Challenge?
2. The essay question mentioned Human well-being. How would you define that and why?
3. How do you prepare for something that you cannot be prepared for?
4. How did you deal with a person who is resistant to change? Tell us an example
5. Tell us 2 or 3 perspectives on the refugee crisis in Europe and why they are important
6. Is positive thinking always beneficial? Tell us a situation where it is not beneficial
(7. I had another question, because the system broke down in the middle of the session: Tell us something about you that we will remember)

I hope these questions can give you guys an idea of how the interview is done. Good luck to everyone!

All the best,

Jenny
Intern
Intern
Send PM
HWese7 wrote:
Rejected.

:( :( :( :( :(

Did you receive a feedback on your application?

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi guys,
Anyone applying to St.Gallen for the 2020 Intake?
I have a couple of Resources that you might find interesting:
SIM comprehensive program review (Contains Program details, class profile, placement stats): https://www.mim-essay.com/st-gallen-mim ... ?gmat-club

SIM Application Material (Has Essay questions, Essay Tips, Resume and LOR formats): https://www.mim-essay.com/university-of ... ?gmat-club

Hope this helped, ping me in case you have any questions !
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4 
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts