Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Stacy Blackman Consulting Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Stanford MBA Deadlines for 2020-2021 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Stanford MBA Deadlines for 2020-2021

Is the Stanford Graduate School of Business on your shortlist of target MBA programs? Then get ready to mark your calendar. The Stanford MBA deadlines for the 2020-2021 admissions season have been announced!

Stanford MBA Deadlines
Round 1
Application due: September 15, 2020

Decision released: December 10, 2020

Round 2
Application due: January 6, 2021

Decision released: April 1, 2021

Round 3
Application due: April 6, 2021

Decision released: May 20, 2021

Applications are due by 4 p.m. PST on the day of the deadline. For additional information on applying, please visit the Stanford GSB admissions website.

If you need guidance on your  Stanford MBA application or wish to discuss your MBA plans, reach out for a complimentary analysis of your candidacy. We’re here to help!

The post Stanford MBA Deadlines for 2020-2021 appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Crush the GRE Ranks SBC Top MBA Admissions Firm in 2020 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Crush the GRE Ranks SBC Top MBA Admissions Firm in 2020
Stacy Blackman is pleased to announce that, once again, Crush the GRE has ranked us number one in its latest ranking of the best MBA admissions consultants! Six leading companies appear in this year’s ranking. But, SBC is the only firm that ticks off every box to meet MBA applicants’ wide range of needs.

From “Top Schools Admissions Experience” to “Advanced Application Strategy” to our library of “Admissions Strategy Guides,” no other consulting firm offers the comprehensive resources and expertise that define SBC.

Here is how Crush the GRE describes our services:

Over the course of almost two decades, the Stacy Blackman Consulting team has built a successful track record using time-tested techniques and best practices.
They have deep experience with every top-tier school and a variety of industries, and their team of consultants consist of more high-level MBA admissions administrators than any other consultant service on our list.
Their All-In package is one of the best truly all-inclusive packages available, with access to your consultant day and night. We love their team approach with individual partnerships as well as the meticulous nature of their consultant matching and application review.
Overall, we rank Stacy Blackman Consulting as our number one MBA admissions consulting firm.

To determine the ranking, Crush the GRE evaluated each firm on the following criteria:

• Experience—how many years in the business?
  • Matchmaking process—This should include criteria like target-school expertise, industry alignment, personality, and demographic knowledge.
  • Is unlimited truly unlimited?—Some firms expressly limit the number of hours in their “unlimited” packages.
  • Top-tier admissions experience—Representation across many schools is essential.
  • Limits on consultant load—Consultants that are spread too thin cannot offer the necessary attention.
  • Team vs. individual approach—The best scenario includes a team headed by a personal consultant.
  • Yelp—Consider the quality of reviews over time.
  • Free evaluation—Get a feel for not only the style and experience of a consultant but also their personality.
  • Additional resources—Consultants should also have relationships with current admissions committees and industry elites.
(Click here to read more about each of these aspects in detail.)

We thank Crush the GRE for this important acknowledgment and appreciate the rigorous criteria in place to make the assessment. Crush the GRE has produced the only extensive and evidence-based ranking system of our industry. We admire their diligent efforts to demystify the process for applicants to evaluate MBA admissions consulting firms.

If you’d like to learn more about working with us, get in touch today for a free analysis of your MBA candidacy.

The post Crush the GRE Ranks SBC Top MBA Admissions Firm in 2020 appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Visualize Your Future with an Odyssey Plan [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Visualize Your Future with an Odyssey Plan

“Fresh ideas from the Blacklight”
SBC’s Weekly Newsletter for Professionals
Life is pretty much upside down right now. On top of freaking out about the prospect of getting sick (or that a loved one will come down with coronavirus), many people are in a professional limbo as well. That’s why today, we’re assigning some homework to help you visualize the better days ahead. So, whether you are chugging along with work as usual, suddenly laid off, or a new grad facing a hiring freeze, drafting your Odyssey Plan is the perfect distraction for this moment in time.

If you’ve never heard the term before, an Odyssey Plan is a brainstorm about how you would like your life to look in the future. Flash-forward five years from now and come up with elements that make up the version of you that’s “living your best life.”

Focus on specific areas, such as work, fun, love, and health. When you rate your current satisfaction levels in those areas, how do they stack up? What changes could you make to get closer to that best-life goal?

“If you plan for nothing, you’re going to get nothing.”
Bill Burnett, Executive Director of the Design Program at Stanford University.
(Also, he coined the term Odyssey Plan.)

How to make an Odyssey Plan
We recommend you watch Burnett’s entire Odyssey Plan playlist to really get your design juices flowing for this project. (A complete Odyssey Plan has many different elements.) But here’s a preview of the concept.

Start by creating three different five-year timelines. Each of these versions should include professional and personal milestones, as well as bucket list items. But remember, the timelines must look distinct from each other. If you’re having trouble visualizing three radically different versions of your future self, Burnett suggests you frame the plans this way.

In one version, you blow out a plan based on what you think you’re going to do. In the second timeline, ask yourself what might happen if Plan 1 disappeared, and you needed to pivot. Finally, version three is what your life would look like in five years if money or image were no object.

As you consider each plan, ask yourself questions such as: What will I learn if I do this? Will this fulfill me? What will I enjoy about this path?

Come Up with a Prototype
When you’re ready to explore one of these plans further, it’s time for the prototype phase. Here, you find out whether you’re on the right track with something that’s a good fit for you. While getting started seems daunting, Burnett breaks it down into three simple steps.

• Get curious.
  • Talk to people.
  • Try stuff.
Find someone who’s already doing what you’re interested in, who has your preferred life, he suggests. These people are already living your future. See if something in those conversations resonates and confirms that you’re moving in the right direction.

Then, find ways to try on that life for size. You need both conversations and “lived experiences” to help you decide, Burnett explains. “An experience will tell you something that a conversation can’t,” he says. “But both are important mechanisms for coming up with ways to prototype your way into the future to see if it’s going to fit for you.”

How often should you make an Odyssey Plan?
There’s no prescribed time to make an Odyssey Plan, but many people find it a useful exercise to do every few years. Make one when you are:

• facing a lot of change
  • graduating from college
  • want to change your job
  • want to change your career
Transitional moments like these lend themselves to Odyssey Plan-making because they force you to figure out what you need to do to move forward. More ideas create more choices, so brainstorming like a designer can help you get “unstuck” in your thinking.

Burnett believes having an Odyssey Plan helps us invent the future we want because we get charged up with ideas and ready for action. “When you have a plan, and you put your intention out in the world,” says Burnett, “you give the world an opportunity to step up and give you what you want.”

Did you enjoy this post about visualizing your future self?  It originally appeared on the Blacklight, our weekly newsletter for professionals. At the Blacklight, we aim to illuminate with every dispatch that lands in your inbox. If you’re thirsty for guidance to help you slay it at work or as a student and move your goalposts closer, sign up today!

The post Visualize Your Future with an Odyssey Plan appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

Send PM
Michigan Ross MBA Essays for 2020-2021 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Michigan Ross MBA Essays for 2020-2021

The University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business has announced the Ross MBA essays for the 2020-2021 admissions season. This year, the Ross School has streamlined the short-answer questions and trimmed the word count for its Career Goal essay.

Michigan Ross MBA Essays
Part 1: Short-answer questions
Select one prompt from each group of the two groups below. Respond to each selected prompt in 100 words or less (<100 words each; 200 words total). Every word counts here — the tight word count is intentional to force you to focus.

Group 1

I want people to know that I:

I made a difference when I:

I was aware that I was different when:

Group 2

I am out of my comfort zone when:

I was humbled when:

I was challenged when:

Part 2: Career Goal Essay
Michigan Ross is a place where people from all backgrounds with different career goals can thrive. What is your short-term career goal and why? (200 words)

For more information on applying, please visit the Michigan Ross admissions site.  If you need guidance on your Ross MBA essays or wish to discuss your MBA plans, reach out for a complimentary analysis of your candidacy. We’re here to help!

The post Michigan Ross MBA Essays for 2020-2021 appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

Send PM
We Are All in This Together [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: We Are All in This Together

Stacy Blackman Consulting does not often comment on politics or current events outside of the realm of business school. We have stayed quietly cocooned in our b-school-centric world. However, the events of the past few months — let alone weeks — have demonstrated that there is no cocoon.

We are all connected and we are all in this together. Both the peaceful, impassioned protests and the sporadic rioting that has erupted across the nation shine a harsh light on a realization from which we cannot escape. And that is, “White Silence is Violence.”

This quote from American author and historian Ibram X. Kendi could not put it more plainly:

“What’s the problem with being ‘not racist’? It is a claim that signifies neutrality: ‘I am not a racist, but neither am I aggressively against racism.’ But there is no neutrality in the racism struggle.
One either allows racial inequities to persevere, as a racist, or confronts racial inequities, as an antiracist. There is no in-between safe place of ‘not racist.’ The claim of a ‘not racist’ neutrality is a mask for racism.”

I have listed some organizations below that can help us make an immediate impact as we continue this journey toward peace and unity.

Color of Change designs campaigns powerful enough to end practices that unfairly hold Black people back, and champions solutions that move us all forward. Until justice is real.

The NAACP‘s mission is to ensure a society in which all individuals have equal rights without discrimination based on race.

The Black Visions Collective believes in a future where all Black people have autonomy, safety is community-led, and we are in right relationship within our ecosystems.

The Minnesota Freedom Fund works to end cash bail, release those held because of the inability to pay, and release all ICE detainees.

The Brooklyn Community Bail Fund is committed to challenging the racism, inequality, and injustice of a criminal legal system and immigration and deportation regime that disproportionately target and harm low-income communities of color.

I am listening, learning, and growing. I hope that we all are.

To our Black team members at SBC, and past, present and future clients, please know that I see you and I hear you — now much more clearly than ever.

Respectfully yours,

Image credit: Mark Dixon  on Flickr (CC BY 2.0)

The post We Are All in This Together appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

Send PM
B-Schooled Episode #6: Strengthening Your Quantitative Profile [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: B-Schooled Episode #6: Strengthening Your Quantitative Profile
In this week’s episode of the B-Schooled podcast, our host Erika and fellow SBC admissions consultant (and former Kellogg adcom) Caryn have a discussion that covers:

• Several tactics applicants can use to strengthen their quantitative profiles
  • What applicants should do if they have not taken the GMAT yet amidst test-center closures
  • How to use the Additional Info field/essay to address any quantitative weaknesses in your candidacy
Listen to B-Schooled episode #6 here, or on any of the podcast apps listed below.

B-Schooled is available on most major podcast apps, including:

Apple Podcasts

Spotify

Stitcher

TuneIn

Please be sure to subscribe to B-Schooled so that you don’t miss a thing. If there’s something you’d like for us to cover in a future episode, please email podcast@stacyblackman.com. We’d love to hear from you!

The post B-Schooled Episode #6: Strengthening Your Quantitative Profile appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

Send PM
COVID-19 MBA Admissions Forecast [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: COVID-19 MBA Admissions Forecast

About two weeks into the coronavirus pandemic, when the paralysis and shock started to fade,  the volume of inquiries for round one MBA deadlines sharply increased at SBC. Many in the business school consulting field expect to see a COVID-19 MBA admissions spike during the 2020-2021 season.

By every measure since then—including numbers of inquiries, visitors on our website, clients who have signed on for services—the interest in the MBA has increased for us by at least 50% compared to last year at this time. In fact, we’ve had weeks where demand has doubled.

Why the skyrocketing interest?
We often hear the obvious drivers: MBA demand is counter-cyclical to the economy. Opportunity costs are now lower. MBA applicants typically are debt-free in their twenties and can manage the expense. Some young professionals see the MBA as an escape from unemployment or furlough status.

But, at a deeper level, many of the MBA applicants we’ve talked to in recent weeks say they need cutting-edge knowledge from a top MBA program to navigate the dynamic business changes ahead.

MBA applicants look to the MBA to gain the vital tools and frameworks to thrive in the radically-changing business landscape. Technology, supply chain, and other disciplines will become reimagined within the business school environment. That is a huge lure. It’s an exciting time for young, MBA-aspiring professionals. Many view the 2023 MBA class as a symbol of new beginnings and hope.

Our COVID-19 MBA Admissions Prediction
As we recently shared with Poets & Quants, we predict that MBA demand will increase significantly for the top MBA programs. (The number of seats going to deferrals from this cycle may further compound the issue. ) Both quality and quantity are about to be re-defined. Without a doubt, the caliber of the applicant pool with respect to diversity, leadership, industry, and career visions will soar in the application season that is upon us.

The post COVID-19 MBA Admissions Forecast appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

Send PM
Getting an MBA During the Pandemic [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Getting an MBA During the Pandemic

Are you thinking about applying for an MBA during the pandemic? You’ll have plenty of company, as some news outlets predict the largest year-over-year increase in MBA applications in history.

There’s no better time to hedge against the widespread professional volatility than by investing in academic and personal growth. Applicants in 2020-2021 will become the MBA Class of 2023 and will benefit from a refreshed economic landscape.

We’ve seen a steep increase in interest for the MBA since the COVID-19 pandemic began. MBA demand is counter-cyclical to the economy.  As we shared with U.S.News and World Report, during soaring economic times, MBA aspirants feel hesitant to leave their secure, well-paid career paths.  Now, many career paths are tenuous, impacted as they are by the coronavirus. Therefore, the opportunity costs for the MBA investment have become lower and look more favorable for business school applicants.

Job security is at risk for many around the world. Pursuing an MBA will become a necessity for many in the short term. Indeed, numerous career paths for young professionals, such as those in private equity or consulting, have a built-in “up and out” mechanism that drives MBA matriculation.

Many employers will push forward with this “up and out” process in the short term to weather the storm of COVID-19.  MBA applicants in their twenties are typically debt-free and can incur the costs of their education. Some young professionals consider the MBA as an escape from unemployment or furlough status.  We see all these drivers playing out via a recent boost in MBA applicants engaging with us.

Changes Ahead for Those Who Seek an MBA During the Pandemic
Top programs such as the M7 in the U.S. have the technical prowess to adapt in extraordinary ways due to intelligence, deep financial resources, and innovation. The M7 programs in the U.S. will create, through their own connections of recruiters and in-house professors, a profound value advantage and improved educational model for its students. Top MBA graduates in 2023 and beyond will benefit from this transformative education and will become well-equipped to tackle the next series of unknowns ahead.

We have seen MBA applicants become more particular about the brand of the program in which they invest. We encourage our clients to aim high because this is now a new normal. Suddenly, aspects such as test scores may become trivial to even the elite programs. Instead, the character and resilience of applicants will factor in more heavily.

Meanwhile, international MBA applicants may have a different set of tradeoffs and unknowns ahead.  We talk with international candidates about their options and help them decide what’s best for their situation. In some cases, even if they can secure a visa to get here, it might not be their best choice because the job market for internships will be even harder for them.

OPT Foreign Workers Program & Politics
President Donald Trump had been expected to make an announcement on Optional Practical Training (OPT), the foreign worker program. But, a recent push in favor of keeping OPT is underway.  Many business schools in the past year have become STEM certified for their graduates to qualify for this post-graduation employment extension.

A lot can change in the months ahead, especially with the U.S. presidential elections in November. Regardless, we predict that MBA demand will increase significantly for the top MBA programs. As a matter of fact, we believe the caliber of the applicant pool with respect to diversity, leadership, industry, and career visions will soar in the application season that is upon us.

The post Getting an MBA During the Pandemic appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

Send PM
Tuesday Tips: Columbia MBA Essay Tips for 2020-2021 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Tuesday Tips: Columbia MBA Essay Tips for 2020-2021

Columbia Business School has released the application and essay questions for candidates beginning the MBA program in 2021. These Columbia MBA essay questions include a new question about leadership and your fit with Columbia Business School.  Columbia asks you to choose a leader you admire, which could be anyone from Melinda Gates to Columbia professor Bruce Craven’s choice, Sansa Stark from Game of Thrones.

What is the admissions team looking for in Columbia MBA applicants?

One of SBC’s former CBS Admissions Officers shared, “With CBS, it really is a holistic approach, but the fit is VERY important.  They want to know why CBS- that is a big part of their culture. They want to know you’re going to fit in.”

The desire to attend Columbia is an essential part of the Columbia MBA application process. Another aspect is having the academic background to handle the rigor of Columbia.

Columbia is a fast-paced program in a fast-paced city. The kind of MBA student who is a good fit for Columbia and its setting in New York City will be those that plan to take full advantage of the unique opportunities offered by the environment.

It’s up to you to prepare your case for admission with thorough research into the school. To accomplish this, speak to current students, alumni, and research the classes and faculty at the school to understand the full offering at Columbia.

Columbia is looking for students who have big plans for their lives, MBA or not. Therefore, before you get started with this set of essays, it will be helpful to brainstorm your career objectives, strengths, and weaknesses. Also, think about your overall life dreams.

Columbia offers several flexible options for admission, from full-time MBA programs starting in the Fall, to a January entry session. In addition, Columbia has an excellent executive MBA program. Columbia also offers an early decision option for candidates committed to attending the school. Note that Columbia has up-to-date COVID information on the admissions website.

The Columbia admissions cycle is rolling, so the earlier you submit your application, the sooner you will receive feedback. We recommend you try to submit your application as early as possible while maintaining high quality.

Feeling stumped by the Columbia MBA essays? Contact Stacy Blackman Consulting to learn how we can help with MBA admissions consulting.

Short Answer Question:

What is your immediate post-MBA professional goal? (50 characters maximum)

Examples of possible responses:

“Work in business development for a media company.”

“Join a strategy consulting firm.”

“Launch a data-management start-up.”

This is a deceptively simple question that requires you to condense your career goals into one clear career vision statement. As part of the question, Columbia provides a few examples, which are concise and to the point.

If your goal is to work at an investment bank after graduation, you could always just say: “Work in finance.” To try to add a bit more detail, consider adding a little more color. Something like: “Work in real estate finance for a private equity firm” tells the admissions committee far more about your interests and goals than just “work in finance.” It also sets the tone for the first essay.

Essay 1:

Through your resume and recommendations, we have a clear sense of your professional path to date. What are your career goals over the next 3-5 years, and what, in your imagination, would be your long-term dream job? (500 words)

This question addresses your short- and long-term goals and plans. The word “imagination” conjures up your aspirational dreams, not just your practical plans. Those who seek a top-tier MBA at a school like Columbia have Big Ideas. Also, the program will expose you to people and opportunities that will expand your horizons. Think about your true passions, and feel free to explore your biggest dreams.

As you talk about your future, you may need to refer to your past career and personal experiences. Consider what to say while citing only relevant examples from your career. Also, think about the moments you can describe that were genuinely pivotal and can support your future goals. Your goals should have a logical progression, but you can (and should!) show how you plan to change and adapt.

For example, perhaps you want to be a general manager of a company or division, and right now, you have been working primarily in marketing. Subsequently, you might spend your time at Columbia learning about finance and strategy, being part of consulting projects, and interning at a start-up to round out your experience and start on your general management path.

Most importantly, Columbia wants to know who you are and how you are different from other applicants. Don’t try to be an ideal applicant; instead reveal your real personality, motivations, goals, and plans.

Essay 2:

Why do you feel Columbia Business School is a good fit for you? (250 words)

Thorough school research will help you answer the question well. The best way to research a school is to visit, talk to current students, and attend classes. If that’s not possible this year, see if you can network with alumni and research the school online.

The question posed here is, how will you, specifically, benefit from Columbia? Will you take classes from an industry expert you admire? Intern at a target company or within an industry that interests you? What other resources in New York City excite you?

Columbia takes advantage of the location by employing adjunct professors from industry, encouraging internships during the school year for MBA students, and frequent lectures and mentoring from executives in various businesses.

You might mix personal and professional interests in this essay. You could focus on either of those angles, depending on the topics of your other essays. Specifics will help you set yourself apart with this essay.

Know yourself and know the school. As you address this question, make sure to tailor your answer to your individual goals for learning and career. Also, keep in mind Columbia’s academic and professional opportunities.

Essay 3:

Who is a leader you admire, and why? (250 words)

This essay question is new for the class entering in 2020. In prior years Columbia asked for a team failure, while this question focuses specifically on leadership.

The type of leader you admire will reveal what you are working towards in your own leadership development. There are many different types of leaders and endless ideas about which kind of leader is best.

One leadership filter is from the business classic by Jim Collins, “Good to Great.” Collins describes a Level 5 leader, who is motivated by an organization and its cause, not by personal gain. A Level 5 leader exhibits a mix of personal humility and persistence. However, Level 5 leaders are not the only effective type of leader, so consider some leaders you have read about, worked with, or admired, and why.

Once you have chosen your admired leader, describe why you chose this person. Think about: the attributes that you particularly appreciate, leadership skills, persistence, and other qualities. Describe what you admire and why that quality is particularly important to you. Maybe because you are working to develop the trait in yourself, or because you share that quality and have learned to be more effective.

Optional Essay:

Is there any further information that you wish to provide the Admissions Committee? If so, use this space to provide an explanation of any areas of concern in your academic record or your personal history. This does not need to be a formal essay. You may submit bullet points. (Maximum 500 Words)

Note that this question is entirely optional. You do not need to answer if there is nothing more to communicate.

If you do choose to write an optional essay, we recommend keeping this essay brief. Focus only on specific areas of concern. For example, these may be a lack of demonstrated quantitative abilities or the lack of a recommendation from a current supervisor. Or, it could be gaps in work experience or low grades. Finally, It is best to explain the issue factually, then show how you have addressed the issue. Conclude by explaining why it should not concern the admissions committee in terms of your abilities.

The post Tuesday Tips: Columbia MBA Essay Tips for 2020-2021 appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

Send PM
Tuesday Tips: Stanford MBA Essay Tips for 2020-2021 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Tuesday Tips: Stanford MBA Essay Tips for 2020-2021

The Stanford Graduate School of Business has announced the Stanford MBA essay questions for this year’s application. Today, we’re sharing our Stanford MBA essay tips to help you create a positive impression through your application materials. This year’s essays are the same as they were last year. As you prepare your applications for the fall, note that Stanford has published FAQs about COVID and its effect on admissions.

The admissions committee at Stanford has gained significant insight into applicants by asking, “What matters most, and why?” along with “Why Stanford?” These questions are simple, yet the answers are revealing. Also, the optional essay allows you to go beyond your resume and describe a time you had an impact.

What is Stanford Looking For?

One of SBC’s former GSB Admissions Officers shared, “GSB is looking for people who will make a big difference AND have a better shot than most in being able to execute. Stanford GSB students also seem to have this ‘X’ factor associated with them. Almost like an ‘unexpected’ trait, talent, or experience.”

In light of its high ranking and competitive admissions numbers, many students are intimidated to apply to Stanford GSB for their MBA. However, here at Stacy Blackman Consulting, we have worked with hundreds of applicants over the years who have successfully gained admission to Stanford. We shared some of our successful applicants’ essential traits to help everyone working for admission to top-tier schools.

Our successful Stanford MBA applicants demonstrated real character. That means they have helped others and shown they share a sense of community. Also, they showed that they cared about the world beyond their own material wants and needs in their essays.

As Stanford advises, “answer the question. Resist the urge to ‘package’ yourself into what you think Stanford wants to see. Doing so will only prevent us from understanding who you really are and what you hope to accomplish. The most impressive essays are the most authentic.” Therefore, these essays need to be personal and reveal your personality and what drives you.

Understanding Stanford’s culture and academics will help you tailor your application. Before starting these essays, it will be useful to speak to Stanford students and alumni. If you need to start your research online, read stories from current students. You can begin with our former client, Natasha Malpani.

Stanford MBA Essay Tips for 2020-2021
LENGTH

Both essays combined may not exceed 1,150 words. We recommend up to 750 words for Essay A and up to 400 words for Essay B. We often find effective essays written in far fewer words.
ESSAY A: WHAT MATTERS MOST TO YOU, AND WHY?

For this essay, we would like you to reflect deeply and write from the heart. Once you’ve identified what matters most to you, help us understand why. You might consider, for example, what makes this so important to you? What people, insights, or experiences have shaped your perspectives?
This Stanford MBA essay is about diving deep into what motivates you and why. Topics can range from personal history to big picture visions of the future. This essay should not be explicitly career related (and the most persuasive essays are likely not career oriented at all). However, some of your themes will likely continue in the next essay, which may focus more on your career.

For example, you may have a personal passion that also has led you into a related career aspiration. Your character should shine through, and ideally, introspection and honesty carry through the entire set of essays. To generate ideas, try brainstorming for a few days. Ask friends and family what values they see you demonstrating in your life and choices.

What keeps you awake at night?
Keep a notebook by your bed so you can record your first thoughts upon waking up. Review your personal history for ideas. When you look back at your life, what do you admire and regret about your choices? Are there moments in your life that have led to a change in direction? Who has impacted your decisions? These are the kind of questions to ask yourself as you brainstorm topics for this essay.

It is tough to write such an open-ended and challenging essay. To focus, use detailed and specific anecdotes. Clear examples will provide the reader with images and stories to understand your perspective. After reading hundreds of essays, the ones that have vivid stories in them stand out the most.

However, Stanford GSB specifically advises focusing on people and experiences that have influenced you. Accomplishments and achievements are great, but Stanford wants to know you. Don’t be scared of the tough moments in life – often, self-awareness emerges from challenges. Whatever experiences you choose, it’s imperative to talk about why they made an impact on your life and your values.

Along with colorful examples, talk about how you felt, thought, and reacted both at the time and as you reflected later. The “why” will come out of your reactions to your life experience or people who have influenced you, and the resulting introspection.

ESSAY B: WHY STANFORD?

Describe your aspirations and how your Stanford GSB experience will help you realize them. If you are applying to both the MBA and MSx programs, use Essay B to address your interest in both programs.
After you have explained who you are, you will tell why your next step is a Stanford MBA. If you are applying to both the MBA and MSx, make sure you can highlight the advantages of both programs for your specific situation. You might have significant work experience but also see the benefits of attending a two-year program to achieve your goals. Therefore, you could be interested in either option.

The sub-questions for this essay cover both why you are interested in pursuing an MBA, and why you specifically want to attend Stanford GSB for your MBA. Stanford GSB wants to know your aspirations will be uniquely satisfied by their program. Thorough school research will help you determine what aspects of the academic program, community, and students are crucial to your aspirations.

Be as specific as possible in your response to provide evidence that you have done your research. Consider everything about the aspects of the program that most appeal to you. Have you met current students and alumni? Who are the professors you are excited about? What are the unique programs? Is Stanford’s culture appealing to you, and why? Think about using specific examples, like the career path of one particular alum you admire.

If the question seems too vast, take a few minutes to close your eyes and reflect.
Envision your life in twenty years. Where do you live? How do you spend your days? What is your favorite activity? Does this vision fit into your career aspirations? Don’t be shy about your ambitions. Once you have identified your dream career, make sure an MBA is a big part of achieving your plans.

Consider that Stanford likes to see applicants who dream big and also have the credibility to achieve their goals. Be bold with your aspirations. Write about global, big picture issues you would like to solve. Not what your parents or partner want you to do, and not the next job on the corporate ladder. In particular, explain what you—with your unique background and values—want for your life.

Even though you should think big, don’t make the mistake of acting as if you are already perfect with no development needed. After all, you are a work in progress, and that’s appropriate. Remember that MBA programs want to help promising candidates reach their goals and be a step on an ambitious career trajectory.

Optional Short-Answer Question:

Think about times you’ve created a positive impact, whether in professional, extracurricular, academic, or other settings. What was your impact? What made it significant to you or to others? You are welcome to share up to three examples. (Up to 1500 characters, approximately 250 words, for each example)
This essay is optional and should be answered in the space provided in the application. In other words, do not submit this essay with the other two. You can use up to 250 words for each example, for a total of 750 words on this essay.

Many applicants to Stanford write personal stories and describe internal motivations in the “what matters most” essay. This leaves very little space to talk about your impact on organizations or teams. If you are one of those applicants, this is the perfect place to show off some of your leadership stories. Stanford is looking for people who have inner strength and drive. But also, Stanford seeks those who can influence others.

Once again, think about stories from your various roles in life. Work is usually a place to practice leadership skills, but positive leadership impact can happen anywhere. You might have a vital volunteer role where leadership literally impacts lives. Or perhaps you are part of a cultural organization or political activity that is meaningful to you. Think about the stories of your life that can demonstrate the kind of leader you are. This essay is the perfect place to showcase examples of your positive leadership.

If, after reading these Stanford MBA essay tips, you still find the essays challenging, then don’t hesitate to contact Stacy Blackman Consulting for guidance through the process.

The post Tuesday Tips: Stanford MBA Essay Tips for 2020-2021 appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

Send PM
B-Schooled Episode #7: School Selection and Program Strengths [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: B-Schooled Episode #7: School Selection and Program Strengths

In this week’s episode of the B-Schooled podcast, we cover:

• Two big mistakes we see applicants make regarding school selection
  • An exercise to help you think about and narrow down your school list
  • Which business schools have reputations or are otherwise known for being strong in particular areas
Listen to B-Schooled episode #7 here, or on any of the podcast apps listed below.

Apple Podcasts

Spotify

Stitcher

TuneIn

Please be sure to subscribe to B-Schooled so that you don’t miss a thing. If there’s something you’d like for us to cover in a future episode, please email podcast@stacyblackman.com. We’d love to hear from you!

The post B-Schooled Episode #7: School Selection and Program Strengths appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

Send PM
Darden MBA Deadlines for 2020-2021 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Darden MBA Deadlines for 2020-2021

Are you interested in applying to the University of Virginia’s Darden School of Business? Then mark your calendar, because the Darden MBA deadlines for the 2020-2021 season have just been announced!

There’s also something new at Darden for the Class of 2023 admissions cycle. For those who know that Darden is their top choice of MBA program, the school will offer an optional binding Early Action path. Applicants will choose whether to select the binding or nonbinding Early Action option in the application.

Darden MBA Deadlines
Early Action application due:  September 2, 2020

Round 1 application due: October 5, 2020

Round 2 application due: January 4, 2021

Round 3 application due: April 7, 2021

Darden will update decision dates for the 2020-2021 application cycle once available.

Consortium Deadlines
If you plan to apply through The Consortium for Graduate Study in Management, application deadlines are as follows:

• Application reopens: August 15, 2020
  • Round 1 Application Deadline: October 15, 2020
  • Round 2 Application Deadline: January 5, 2021
Note: The Consortium only has 2 application deadlines.

Darden Continues Test Flexibility Pilot
Per an announcement from the school:

As applicants have many different ways to demonstrate academic accomplishment and ability to succeed in the classroom, the school will accept a range of standardized tests (GMAT, GRE, MCAT and LSAT, and the Executive Assessment). Also, as a new offering for the 2020-21 admissions cycle, applicants can request a test waiver.

For more information on applying, please visit the UVA Darden admissions site.  If you need guidance on your Darden MBA application or wish to discuss your MBA plans, reach out for a complimentary analysis of your candidacy. We’re here to help!

The post Darden MBA Deadlines for 2020-2021 appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

Send PM
Darden MBA Essays for 2020-2021 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Darden MBA Essays for 2020-2021

Is the University of Virginia’s Darden School of Business on your shortlist of target MBA programs? Then get ready to hit the ground running, because the full-time MBA application is now live! Here are the Darden MBA essays for the 2020-2021 admissions cycle.

Darden MBA Essays
For the 2020-21 application cycle, Darden will again offer multiple short answer questions. The goal is to get to know all of the various facets of your background and personality. 

1. Darden strives to identify and cultivate responsible leaders who follow their purpose. Please provide an example of a situation in which you have made a meaningful impact. (200 words)

2. Diversity and inclusion are critical to our mission, and they work best when they are an integral and celebrated part of our community. Share a time in which you engaged with a perspective, identity, community, or experience that was different from your own and how it impacted your worldview. (200 words)

3. Tell us what you would want your learning team to know about you – personally, professionally, or both? (100 words)

4. What is your short-term, post-MBA goal and why? (150 words)

5. The Batten Foundation Worldwide Scholarship provides all Darden students in our full-time MBA program with an opportunity to participate in a Darden Worldwide Course. If you could choose any location in the world, where would you want to travel, and why? (50 words)

For more information on applying, please visit the Darden School admissions site.  If you need guidance on your Darden MBA essays or wish to discuss your MBA plans, reach out for a complimentary analysis of your candidacy. We’re here to help!

The post Darden MBA Essays for 2020-2021 appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

Send PM
25 MBA Prep Resources for Aspiring Applicants [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: 25 MBA Prep Resources for Aspiring Applicants
When you’re ready to get serious about pursuing an MBA degree, you’ll want to gather as much information as possible to prepare for the endeavor. With that in mind, we’ve compiled a handy list of 25 MBA prep resources that covers every major facet of the MBA application process.

We believe business school is a substantial investment in yourself and your career. May these comprehensive MBA prep resources help orient you as you take those first steps toward applying to a top MBA program.

1. Why an MBA?
Before you can start targeting business schools or determining your application strategy, you need to make a critical analysis of whether an MBA is the right next step for your life and career. This post can help.

Why Do You Want an MBA?

2. Timing Your MBA
How much work experience do you need before applying? When is the “right” time to go to business school? There is no one-size-fits-all answer. But these posts can clarify the issue.

Work Five First or Dive Right In?

Readiness Check: 3 Questions for Younger Applicants

How Do You Know if You’re Ready for Business School? 

3. School Research and Campus Visits
While there is only one MBA degree, no two MBA programs are the same. From curriculum structures to size and location, each program is unique in its blend of resources across a continuum of options.

How Important is a Campus Visit in MBA Admissions?

B-Schooled Podcast Episode 7: School Selection and Program Strengths

Evaluate MBA Career Services When Selecting Possible B-Schools

4 Fail-Safe Ways to Research MBA Programs

Why Your MBA Short List Should Include Dream, Target and (Maybe) Safety Schools

4. What Does the AdCom Want?
The admissions committee focuses on four specific areas when evaluating your MBA candidacy. The good news is, you can stand out in these aspects no matter where you’ve worked before or what background you have.

What Does the AdCom Focus on When Evaluating Your Candidacy?

Character Prevails for Harvard & Stanford Double Admits

Advice From Former MBA Admissions Officers

5. GMAT and GRE
Although the GMAT has been the Gold Standard in MBA admissions for decades, the GRE is also now widely accepted and a great option for certain candidates. Partner with SBC’s best in class GMAT and GRE experts and increase your score significantly. We’ve got all of the test and MBA prep resources you need.

The GMAT and Your MBA Application Strategy

Why Can’t I Score Above 700 on the GMAT?

Client Case Study: How the GRE Can Complement an Unconventional Applicant

6. Low or No-Quant Applicants
Elite business schools warmly welcome applicants with undergraduate degrees in the humanities. However, these candidates will need to prove to the admissions committee that their relatively minimal academic experience in quantitative subjects won’t be a hindrance once they hit those core courses.

Overcome a Low Quant Background in MBA Admissions

B-Schools Looking for More than Just “Quant Jocks”

7. Retaking the GMAT or GRE

At SBC, we advise all clients to go into the process assuming they will take the test at least two times. If you score well the first time, great! But don’t worry if you don’t. The admissions committee looks favorably upon applicants who retake the test to improve their score.

Know When to Retake the GMAT

The Pros and Cons of Retaking the GMAT or GRE

8. GPA
Your undergraduate GPA is one part of your application you cannot change. Review the class profiles at your target schools to see what is the average GPA. You can see them quickly by clicking on the school links within our Application Cheat Sheet.

3 Ways to Offset a Low GPA When Applying to Business School

Don’t Ignore a Low GPA in B-School Applications

9. Trouble Spots and Red Flags

We’ve worked with many flawed MBA candidates who successfully gained admission to the world’s top business schools. If you were already perfect, you probably wouldn’t need to get an MBA, would you? Mistakes, failures, and problems can lead to valuable personal growth.

Mitigate Red Flags in the MBA Application

MBA Admissions: Learning from Failure

A Lesson for MBA Applicants on Owning Up to Past Mistakes

10. Improving Your Candidacy
If you plan to apply to business school in the upcoming admissions cycle, you may think it impossible to improve your MBA candidacy in such a short amount of time. Not true! You can take action in three important areas right now.

Improve Your MBA Candidacy Now for Fall Applications

Quick Fixes to Improve Your MBA Application

Focus on These 5 Areas for Admissions Success

11. Should You Specialize or Generalize?
Whether you choose to be a generalist at business school or to specialize your MBA degree depends heavily on your career’s end goals.

Should You Specialize Your MBA Degree?

We Need More Specialized Generalist MBAs, Citi’s Bruce Schlein Tells FT

MBA Specialization Vs. General Business Skills: Vault Weighs In

12. MBA Essay Advice
The MBA essays are perhaps the most anxiety-producing part of the business school application.  One of the best MBA prep resources you can find are our Tuesday Tips posts. SBC has specific recommendations for each of the top MBA programs under the “Tuesday Tips” links section of the blog.

MBA Essay Advice for Entrepreneurs

Write a Winning MBA Personal Statement

MBA Essay Advice for IT Candidates

3 Unconventional Steps to Writing Great MBA Essays

13. Thinking and Writing About Career Goals

For most applicants, career exploration is the impetus for considering an MBA, and the majority of programs will spend time evaluating your career goals for realism and passion.

How to Write a Great Career Goals Essay

How Specific Should Post-MBA Career Goals Be?

Think Through Your Post-MBA Career Goals

14. Extracurricular Activities
The admissions committee wants to recruit students who have passions and interests outside of work. Your volunteer efforts and hobbies demonstrate provide insight into what kind of person you are, and show that you care about the wider world.

Do This if You Have No Extracurriculars

B-Schooled Episode #4: How Important are Extracurriculars and Community Service

Coronavirus MBA Volunteering Ideas

15. MBA Resume
It’s unlikely you’ll be able to use the current version of your resume for your business school applications. In fact, you’re probably going to want to spend a significant amount of time on a complete resume overhaul. But, the extra work you put into revising it could be what makes the difference between a ding and an interview offer.

Focus on Career Progression, Results for a Successful MBA Resume

Highlight International Experience on Your Resume

Write a Killer Resume for Business School

16. Choosing and Advising MBA Recommenders
So many people think choosing a well-known or prestigious individual will be the ticket to acceptance at the b-school of their dreams. The key when selecting recommenders is to think about their placement in your life. Help them write the strongest letter possible on your behalf.

Dos and Don’ts for Choosing MBA Recommenders

Avoid Choosing the Wrong Recommenders

What Makes a Great MBA Recommendation Letter

17. MBA Interview Tips
If your application has made it past the first hurdle and you receive an interview invitation, you’re in an enviable position. Ample preparation is the key to success, and these specific tips can help. If you need more guidance, check out one of SBC’s popular MBA prep resources, our MBA interview prep services.

MBA Interview Tips to Help You Knock It Out of the Park

The 5 Hardest MBA Interview Questions and Tips for How to Answer Them

Do You Play Nice with Others? Advice for the Group or Team-Based Interview

How Not to Tank Your MBA Admissions Interview

18. Waitlist Woes

While few candidates celebrate landing on the waitlist, don’t give up hope. First of all, waitlist status by your target school is a good sign. You’re someone they would like to have in the class, but something is holding up a final decision.

Waitlisted MBA Applicants are Still in the Game

SBC Scoop: Waitlist Management

On a B-School Waitlist? Do These 3 Things Right Now

19. Rejection and Reapplying
After pouring your heart and soul into the arduous MBA application process, if your status changes from hoping and waiting to officially denied, it can seem like the end of the world. Here’s what you should do next.

B-School Rejection Recovery Plan

Do This, Not That, if You’re Reapplying to Business School

Should You Reapply to a B-School That Rejected You?

Successful Reapplicant to Harvard Business School, Stanford GSB

MBA Reapplicant Success Story: From 24 Apps, 19 Dings to 1st in Class at Emory

20. Advice for College Seniors
Deferred MBA Admissions programs targeting college seniors are now offered at many of the elite MBA schools. Whether you plan to apply while in college or want to take the right steps now to apply in a few years, these tips are for you.

College Senior MBA Programs

HBS 2+2 Program for College Seniors: How to Get In

Do These 7 Things Now if B-School is in Your Future

21. Targeted Advice for Military Applicants
Military MBA applicants tend to blow other candidates out of the water, figuratively speaking, because they have a wealth of experience to draw from at a very young age. That said, coming from the armed forces rather than a civilian career path prior to business school can give rise to certain difficulties when drafting an application.

Sorry Military MBA Applicants, There’s No Manual for B-School Research

Great New Resource Guide for Veteran MBA Applicants

Push or Pull? The Decision to Leave the Military and Pursue an MBA

22. Social Media Considerations and Background Checks
More and more often, members of the admissions committee will check an applicant’s social media profiles before making a final admit decision. Make the most of this opportunity! But, stay honest about your experiences and interests.

Social Media Tips for MBA Applicants

Use LinkedIn to Bolster Your MBA Profile

Background Checks in MBA Admissions

23. Paying for the MBA
As MBA applicants look to funding their MBA education, finding and applying for scholarships, fellowships, and loans is an important next step.

How to Pay for Your MBA

You Got into B-School…Now How Do You Pay for It?

MBA Scholarship Trends at M7 Schools

24. The ROI of an MBA
An MBA is a long-term financial investment, so here are three questions to ask when trying to decide whether going to business school makes financial sense: Will the degree result in a significant salary bump? Will the degree help me switch careers? Will the degree help me get to a leadership position faster?

Maximize the ROI of Your B-School Decision: Are You Thinking Deep Enough?

What to Consider When Thinking About the ROI of an MBA

Does an MBA Pay Off? Ask Paul Ollinger

25. Why Work with an Admissions Consultant?
Tough competition drives many MBA hopefuls to weigh the benefits of working with a consultant to help them stand out amid a sea of equally amazing applicants. Find out the real Benefits of Working with an MBA Admissions Consultant.

Also, you can read Crush the GRE’s evaluation of SBC’s services and learn why they ranked us the #1 MBA admissions consulting firm in 2020.

We hope you take advantage of all the MBA prep resources SBC has to offer. These links represent just the tip of the iceberg for each of these topics, and we invite you to explore all of the areas that interest you here on our SBC news blog.

If business school is something you’re considering for the future, get in touch today for a free, no-strings assessment of your MBA candidacy. Learn more about how working with SBC can help you make your MBA dreams come true.

The post 25 MBA Prep Resources for Aspiring Applicants appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

Send PM
Tuesday Tips: Michigan Ross MBA Essay Tips 2020-2021 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Tuesday Tips: Michigan Ross MBA Essay Tips 2020-2021

The University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business is a top-ranked MBA program that provides real-world opportunities for students. Ross is about learning both inside and outside the classroom. The Ross MBA program is a close-knit community, and your application should demonstrate you fit in. Review our Ross MBA essay tips and show the admissions committee you are intellectually curious and able to accomplish your goals.

Visiting Ross or learning about the program through current students, alumni or faculty would be helpful before starting this set of essays. Because of challenges due to COVID-19, online research may be best for now.

For example, Admissions Director Soojin Kwon has provided her tips in a recent blog post on the Michigan admissions website. Also, note that Ross is taking the MCAT and LSAT along with the GRE and GMAT to make testing easier at this time.

PART 1: SHORT ANSWER QUESTIONS

Select one prompt from each group. Respond to your selected prompts using 100 words or fewer (<100 words each; 200 words total).
Group 1

• I want people to know that I:

• I made a difference when I:

• I was aware that I was different when:

Group 2

• I am out of my comfort zone when:

• I was humbled when:

• I was challenged when:
Take note that these short answers are about getting to know you personally, not your collection of accomplishments. Ross values community engagement, interpersonal communication, and teamwork skills. The admissions committee says clearly: “The most interesting and insightful responses to these prompts remain when applicants share personal examples.”

When you think about your short answers you may want to write about an important extracurricular moment, a challenge you overcame, or a life event that highlights something unique about your background. The questions are short and purposeful. The experiences you describe should be clear and stand alone.

Looking at each group in turn, Group 1 might be an opportunity to talk about your values and background. It reads as a place to highlight what drives and motivates you on a deeper level than career.

The first open-ended prompt allows you to talk about something you feel proud of—a personal quality, or an experience. For the next prompt, you could describe when you made a difference to an organization, person, or advanced a cause important to you.

Finally, the last prompt is about how you are unique. Consider what sets you apart from others and what unique qualities you will bring to Ross.

Group 2 is more about your reaction to events in your life and your character. In addition, it could be an essay to describe your accomplishments. How do you interpret what happens to you and how do you handle adversity and discomfort? Perhaps you have had unique experiences in life thus far.

For example, living outside your home country, working with diverse groups, or overcoming a challenge at work or in your personal life. In essence, this is an opportunity to shine with your best stories of work, school, and relationships.

PART 2: ESSAY

Michigan Ross is a place where people from all backgrounds with different career goals can thrive. What is your short-term career goal and why? (200 words)
Ross further shortened and streamlined this career goals essay as compared to last year. Admissions Director Kwon said Michigan Ross is looking for straightforward responses to this essay question. Therefore, to answer this essay in a direct way you should state your career goal in a sentence or two. Then, use the remainder of the space to elaborate.

Make sure to answer “why” you chose your short-term career goal in this Ross MBA essay. As you describe your goal make sure you explain what has led you to pursue it. Also, share why it resonates with you. The answer doesn’t need to be elaborate or dramatic, but it should be convincing and real.

Note that the question highlights “all backgrounds and different career goals” that thrive at Ross. If you have a unique background or goal it can be an asset to show how you will contribute to this environment where everyone thrives.

Kwon advised last year that the admissions committee does not expect you to have all the experience needed for your career goals right now. However, “We want to know that you understand the skills that are important for your desired career. Recruiters assess whether you’re able to bring relevant skills/strengths to the table, so we do the same. Some of the skills and knowledge you’ll need will be developed during your time in the MBA program, but students are more successful in their career search if they understand the skills required to succeed in their chosen field.”

OPTIONAL STATEMENT

Optional statement: Is there something in your resume or application that could use some explanation? You might want to discuss the completion of supplemental coursework, employment gaps, academic issues, etc. Feel free to use bullet points where appropriate.
Take it directly from the Ross admissions director: “The optional essay should only be used if there’s something in your background that requires a brief explanation. It’s not the place to submit an essay you wrote for another school, or to tell us how much you love Ross.”

Think about anything that may raise questions while reviewing a resume, transcript, or recommendations. Typically the kinds of gaps that raise questions are significant gaps in employment (more than a few months), anything below a C on your college transcript (particularly in quantitative coursework), and low test scores.

Stacy Blackman Consulting has worked with successful candidates to Michigan Ross for over a decade and can offer comprehensive strategic advice every step of the way. Now that you’ve reviewed our Ross MBA essay tips, contact us to learn more.

The post Tuesday Tips: Michigan Ross MBA Essay Tips 2020-2021 appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

Send PM
Tuesday Tips: Darden MBA Essay Tips for 2020-2021 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Tuesday Tips: Darden MBA Essay Tips for 2020-2021

Are you applying to the University of Virginia’s Darden School of Business this year? Make sure to read our Darden MBA essay tips to learn more about what Darden is looking for.

Leadership, international focus, and a sense of passion and purpose are important to the Darden admissions committee. In all of these essays, you will want to communicate who you are and what motivates you. Also, consider both career and your personal life in your essays. The restrictive word counts can be challenging. Therefore, stay focused and precise in your responses.

How should you highlight personal qualities in this set of essays? Consider that leadership is crucial to future Darden MBAs. Also, teamwork is essential to Darden, a school with a small, tight-knit community.

The case method is the primary teaching method at Darden, similar to Harvard Business School. Engaging with the case method requires the ability to communicate clearly and bring your perspective to the conversation.

Talking to a current student is a great way to learn more about Darden. With this in mind, the Darden admissions committee makes it easy for you to reach out to students directly on the admissions website.

Darden is offering test flexibility this year. Applicants can request a test waiver, or submit a range of tests, including MCAT, LSAT, GRE, and GMAT.

Are you looking for perspective in your approach to your Darden MBA application? Contact us to discuss how Stacy Blackman Consulting can help with your MBA essays.

Darden MBA Essay Tips for 2020-2021

For the 2020-2021 application cycle, Darden will again offer multiple short answer questions. The goal is to get to know all of the various facets of your background and personality.

1. Darden strives to identify and cultivate responsible leaders who follow their purpose. Please provide an example of a situation in which you have made a meaningful impact. (200 words)
This set of MBA essays provides a holistic view of your background, motivations, and goals – and in some ways, this question is a close companion to the career goals question at the end.

When you examine your past leadership opportunities, what is the connecting thread? Are you a consensus builder or a director of projects? Do you keep the project running on time, or do you question the premise? What has been your style when dealing with difficult peers or bosses?

This example could be professional or extracurricular but should describe a significant accomplishment that made an impact. Also, the effect could be big or small as long as it was meaningful to you and those around you. Ideally, this example highlights your broader interests and passions.

For example, if you are devoted to diversity, perhaps you started a mentoring program or funded internships for underrepresented employees. And the impact of that action may have been limited to your department or company. However, it shows your values and allows you to discuss how you would make a more significant impact on the world.

2. Diversity and inclusion are critical to our mission, and they work best when they are an integral and celebrated part of our community. Share a time in which you engaged with a perspective, identity, community, or experience that was different from your own and how it impacted your worldview. (200 words)
This question focuses specifically on diversity and inclusion. Therefore, you should consider your record of engagement with diverse people and communities in your example. Also, think about any travel abroad experiences or a time when you lived or worked in a culture different from your own.

If you have not spent a significant amount of time outside your own country or culture, look at college or work. Many people live and work with diverse groups at university or the workplace, and that can be a good source of examples.

For instance, perhaps you had a teammate who grew up within a different culture. Did you learn more about your teammate’s culture? You may have learned more about holidays and celebrations, or perhaps experienced different attitudes about problem-solving and community. Next, consider what this experience taught you about yourself.

During this time in the United States, racism is top of mind. If you explore diversity with this lens, make sure you are placing your story in historical context and navigating power dynamics effectively. For example, reading resources like the HBR collection on racism in the workplace may be useful.

3. Tell us what you would want your learning team to know about you – personally, professionally, or both. (100 words)
The learning team at Darden is the smallest unit of that community. You will be assigned a team of diverse classmates to meet before class and discuss your case assignments. The purpose of these discussions is to ensure that all of you are prepared to participate in the class discussion. Ideally, the learning team is a supportive environment and allows everyone to learn and express their own point of view.

This essay allows you to introduce yourself to the Darden community while imagining that you are speaking only to a small group of your peers. What should your learning team know about your background? What diverse perspective will you bring to the learning environment? Perhaps you have a unique professional experience that will be new to your teammates.

You may be from an underrepresented region of the world, or you have a compelling personal background. In just a few words, describe what you think will set you apart from your peers and be interesting for the team to know about you. To learn more about your potential classmates, talk to a student ambassador, or review Darden’sMBA Student Stories.

4. What is your short-term, post-MBA goal, and why? (150 words)
This question focuses specifically on your short-term career goal. But since you are likely taking that next step to set the groundwork for your broader career goals, it is entirely appropriate to describe your overall career aspirations. In the previous questions in this set of essays, you have already outlined your personality, motivations, impact, and accomplishments. Your career goals, therefore, should fit seamlessly into that story.

Do not be intimidated by career goals questions if you are still exploring what you want to do with your life. Darden offers intensive career counseling, and you will have an opportunity to explore many career paths in school. Simply put, the essay question seeks to understand why you are pursuing this path and what you hope to get out of it.

The goal is to understand how you think and plan and what motivates your career decisions. If you are inspired by what you have experienced as a leader and as someone who has a positive impact on others, that inspiration should be part of your career aspirations as well. Darden will help you refine your goals and learn the skills you need.

5. The Batten Foundation Worldwide Scholarship provides all Darden students in our full-time MBA program with an opportunity to participate in a Darden Worldwide Course.  Each year, Darden connects with over 80 countries.
If you could choose any location in the world, where would you want to travel? (5 words) And why? (50 words)
Every Darden student now has the opportunity to be part of Darden Worldwide Courses.  While Darden describes the current programs and countries on the website, this MBA essay question asks for your ideal location and why you are interested in it. Your interest in a particular region could be personal or professional and should have an academic basis.

The focus of these international programs is to learn more about the world of business beyond the United States. Therefore, with that context, what would you like to know, and where would you like to learn it? Darden MBA students report that traveling during their MBA experience leads to a greater sense of purpose and an open mind.

6. List up to three hobbies or interests you enjoy in your free time.
This is truly a short answer, and you only need to list your hobbies and/or interests to respond. When you consider what hobbies and interests to highlight, review your responses to the other prompts. And, this is an opportunity to add a new or surprising angle. Finally, this question should be genuinely personal and describe what activities are just for you.

7. What are you excited to explore in Charlottesville? (25 words; see video clip within the application)
Charlottesville is a dynamic small city, and the University of Virginia has a youthful community. While you attend Darden, you can also pursue cultural and recreational activities. To answer this question, watch the video and conduct some of your own research. This is a final opportunity to showcase an interest or a hobby by finding activities that resonate with you in Charlottesville or UVA.

The post Tuesday Tips: Darden MBA Essay Tips for 2020-2021 appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

Send PM
B-Schooled Episode #8: Time and Energy Wasters [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: B-Schooled Episode #8: Time and Energy Wasters

In this episode, Meg — a former University of Chicago Booth admissions committee member and current SBC admissions consultant — joins Erika to discuss some of the biggest things they see MBA candidates wasting their precious time on during the application process.

They address:

• Their most-hated question MBA candidates often ask
  • *Why* it doesn’t make sense to worry about certain things in the admissions process
  • What applicants’ time is better spent on
  • What waitlisted candidates should do (and not do) to strengthen their position
  • The pros and cons of MBA message boards
  • What MBA candidates should do if/when they find themselves filled with doubts
Listen to B-Schooled episode #8 here, or on any of the podcast apps listed below.

Apple Podcasts

Spotify

Stitcher

TuneIn

The post B-Schooled Episode #8: Time and Energy Wasters appeared first on Stacy Blackman Consulting - MBA Admissions Consulting.

GMAT Club Bot
B-Schooled Episode #8: Time and Energy Wasters [#permalink]
   1  ...  88   89   90   91   92  ...  136