Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Stacy Blackman Consulting Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Stanford GSB Fall 2017 MBA Essay Questions [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Stanford GSB Fall 2017 MBA Essay Questions

The Stanford Graduate School of Business has posted the MBA application essays for the 2016-2017 admissions cycle. They remain unchanged from last year, and are as follows:

Essay A: What matters most to you, and why? (Suggested word count: 750)

For this essay Stanford GSB would like you to:

• Do some deep self-examination, so you can genuinely illustrate who you are and how you came to be the person you are.
  • Share the insights, experiences, and lessons that shaped your perspectives, rather than focusing merely on what you’ve done or accomplished.
  • Write from the heart, and illustrate how a person, situation, or event has influenced you.
  • Focus on the “why” rather than the “what.”
Essay B: Why Stanford? (Suggested word count: 400; 450 for applicants to both the MBA and MBx programs)

• Enlighten us on how earning your MBA at Stanford will enable you to realize your ambitions.
  • Explain your decision to pursue graduate education in management.
  • Explain the distinctive opportunities you will pursue at Stanford.
  • If you are applying to both the MBA and MSx programs, use Essay B to address your interest in both programs.
For more information about applying to the Stanford Graduate School of Business, please visit the GSB MBA admissions website.

You may also be interested in:
Stanford GSB Fall 2017 MBA Application Deadlines

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Push or Pull? The Decision to Leave the Military and Pursue an MBA [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Push or Pull? The Decision to Leave the Military and Pursue an MBA
In the first of our new series of guest posts directed at military applicants, army veteran and Cornell MBA Peter Sukits shares candid, actionable advice for military veterans considering a transition to a full-time MBA program.
Pete is an aspiring career coach, author and finance professional living in Cincinnati, Ohio. He served for five years as a commissioned officer in the United States Army, and deployed to Afghanistan in 2009. After separating from active duty, he earned an MBA from the Johnson Graduate School of Management at Cornell University.
Through the process of transitioning, he learned many valuable lessons in the areas of expectations, mindset and preparation when undertaking the shift from military to academic and civilian life. We look forward to sharing his advice with you here.

There comes a time in many military lives, where those that wear the uniform wonder what it’s like on the other side – the civilian side to be exact. For some, it’s just a temporary, fleeting thought provoked by the latest shenanigans in training, policy or personnel. But for others, it’s a deliberate choice punctuated by reason and motivation. One of the most common routes for the latter is the pursuit of an MBA at a top-ranked graduate school of business.

This seems like a logical decision. You’ve led soldiers, marines, sailors or airmen – most likely in combat. You can make hard decisions and maintain a clear head in complex situations. All of these experiences are highly valued in MBA programs and in business. Unfortunately, there are a few other cold, hard facts at play here.

• The above connection alone is not enough to convince an admissions committee that you are right for their program. Unlike the military, performance and credentials alone will not accomplish the mission.

[*]There are literally thousands of potential MBA students in the exact same shoes – MBA candidates that have already been in the business world and have a sense of the culture. You must stand out from the rest.[/list]

[*]The MBA program is also investing time, money and resources on you, and needs to have a sense of security that you were the right choice and that, most importantly, you will succeed once you exit its hallowed halls.[/list]
This leads to addressing one of the single most important questions you must answer for yourself prior to even applying:

Why an MBA?

Sukits in Afghanistan

Remember, business school is not a destination in of itself, but a stepping stone on a greater journey. If all you have envisioned of your post-military life is attending the degree program or university, then you need to do some serious soul-searching for your motivators.

In general, are you “pushing” yourself away from the military because it just doesn’t align with who you are anymore or is there some new career opportunity “pulling” you towards it? Which should it be? Is there a right answer?

Allow me to introduce you to the business school equivalent of “Hooah” – and that is… “It depends!”

Rarely is the answer so easily conjured. There are certainly going to be elements of both dynamics going through your mind. However, the need to define goals – that career “pull” post-business school, is essential for you to get your new mission off the ground.

I remember when the importance of career pull first hit me.  I was at a prospective student weekend at one of my target b-schools. There I sat at a large round table with about a dozen other candidates, and a senior faculty member who was a former partner at a prestigious consulting firm. We all went around the circle, speaking a bit about our background and our post-MBA goals.

I was utterly shocked at the specificity of some of the statements. “…and I’m very interested in consulting, more on the M&A transaction side, with an emphasis on the consumer and retail industries, with a possible long-term career path in corporate investor relations…” Whether or not it all turned out this way is irrelevant. The point is that they had thought about it, and were prepared with that answer. It shows direction, the ability to plan, clear decision-making – all the things upon which military candidates pride themselves.

Presumably, these other candidates have been in the business world and know a thing or two about it, right? Maybe they even have first-hand exposure.

This is where your civilian counterparts may have a slight edge over you. They’ve been there. They’ve lived the business culture. Does that excuse you from developing your goals to that same level? Negative. Does the admissions committee expect you to have clear goals and tangible passion for your next career? Absolutely.

One the most beneficial tools in our collective military kit bag, is the backwards planning process. Start with the objective in mind, and work backwards from there. Is the objective in this case the MBA program? No. Your objective is the career “pull” that is motivating you towards the MBA. Business school is a stepping stone on a journey, remember? If all you’re doing is pushing yourself out of the service without a real pull towards something, you will be setting yourself up for failure.

What do you see yourself doing in five years, or even two years? What kind of work interests you and what industries would be the best fit given your unique skillset? This is where hard work and doing your homework will come into play (we will get into that in more detail in a future post). Outlining your short and long-term goals will not only be prominently featured in the essay section of the application, but will also show up in your interview.

Tasks to Prospective Students:

• Learn as much as you can about the types of careers that MBA graduates go into post-graduation. You can easily find this data on any business school website. Each business school has resources like the example below:
      • Research these industries/companies online and familiarize yourself with their basic business models. Get a sense of what interests you.
      • Contact the veteran’s associations at the schools in which you’re interested, and speak with as many transitioned veterans as you can. Get their perspective on the big picture of careers and using business school as a path to their career.
      • Participate in military veterans workshops hosted by companies who are looking to hire military talent. Some of these are competitive, so you will need to apply and be familiar with the industry and the work that they do. Some examples include:
      • After completing the research and identifying your post-military goals, decide if the MBA is the right step for you. If so, center your list on schools that will best help you meet that objective.
      • Be flexible in your choices. No plan A survives first contact, and you must be able to pivot one way or the other if things change.
Last but not least: this list is not all-inclusive. This is not a formula, nor an exact science. There is a method, but also an “art” to transitioning as well. Use your instincts, be open-minded and stay positive.

We’ll have more military-to-MBA advice posts from Sukits coming soon, so stay tuned!
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
SBC’s 2016 MBA Applicant Survey [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: SBC’s 2016 MBA Applicant Survey

2016 could be a life-changing year for you: You may already know that you’ll be headed to business school in the fall, or you might be planning to start your MBA journey now. Either way, exciting things lie ahead.

With Round One deadlines just a few months out, we at Stacy Blackman Consulting want to check the pulse of this year’s crop of b-school applicants by polling them about their MBA plans.

So, here’s the deal: we’re asking for a favor. Please fill out our one-minute survey. We know how precious your time is—you’ll only have to “check the box” in response to a few simple MBA-related questions.

Then, keep an eye out for the survey results here on the blog, which will give you insight into how other prospective students are thinking about the application process.

Every participant has the opportunity to enter a sweepstakes to win a $100 Amazon gift card. The survey is live now and will close at 5 p.m. EST on Wednesday, May 25, 2016. So please, take a moment to share with us your thoughts and experiences related to the MBA application process.

Enter survey here.

Thanks so much for your participation!

Send PM
HBS 2+2 Program Now Has Single Application Deadline [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: HBS 2+2 Program Now Has Single Application Deadline

Earlier this month, Harvard Business School announced a significant change to the application process for its 2+2 program. This deferred admissions program is designed for college seniors, who, if accepted, work for two years (or more) after their college graduations before entering the b-school.

Going forward, there will be a single deadline for these applicants—April 3, 2017—and one decision notification in mid-May.

In an update to the Director’s Blog, outgoing head of MBA admissions Dee Leopold notes that the change now offers the admissions team the opportunity to see applicants’ fall term grades and activities, and allows the team to review the entire pool at once.

While applicants can submit their materials earlier, Leopold stresses that this is not a rolling admissions process and no application will be considered prior to the April deadline.

“Many participants elect to work for three years and some for four,” adds Leopold. “You’ve heard us say this before and we’ll say it again: 2+2 probably should be re-named ‘Flex+2’…Your plans for employment need to be approved by us but we encourage a wide range of career exploration.”

Interview dates have not yet been set, though successful applicants can anticipate interviewing in late April-early May.

Image credit: Michael A. Herzog (CC BY-ND 2.0)
Send PM
What One MBA Applicant Would Have Done Differently [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: What One MBA Applicant Would Have Done Differently
Something unique and completely unexpected arrived in my inbox this week. With the author’s permission and encouragement, I share this letter in the hopes that some of my blog readers might benefit from it…especially anyone on the fence about the value of working with an MBA admissions consultant.

“Dear Stacy Blackman,

I didn’t use your services, but after going through the entire application process on my own over this last year, I wish I would have.

As a point of context I am from the West Coast but I live in New York where I work as an economist at a large government agency. It has been a really interesting job where I have been able to work on large scale and high profile projects that have helped to shape the New York region.

It has been an ideal first job after I did my masters in economics at a top ranked policy school but I am ready to go back to school and try to switch careers into consulting. I am in my mid-late twenties and I have lots of volunteer experience here in New York – I am even the youngest deacon at my Manhattan based church.

The reason I wish I would have used your services is because I don’t think I completely capitalized on my profile. I didn’t end up with a terrible outcome – I will be attending a top 25 MBA program in the fall on a 90% fellowship and I am currently on the wait list at another top 25 program.

Many people would be envious of my position and I am excited about this new chapter in my life. I have a very generous offer from a very good school, but it is not the school I started out this process dreaming about. After going through the process completely alone, I am convinced that there must be a better way that would allow me to display my full potential and get my closer to my dream schools.

About a month ago I reached out through the website for a free consultation and was paired with Bill Chionis. At the time I had been admitted to the MBA program with a large fellowship, but I was thinking about turning it down and applying to schools again this coming fall with the hope that I could get into my dream schools. I wanted to know what he thought the possibilities were if I used your help the next year. Right after I hung up the phone I realized I had made a mistake by not reaching out to you at the very beginning.

The phone call made me realize how alone I had been throughout the process. I am not someone who came from an Ivy league background where everyone seems to know the ins and outs of the highly competitive MBA admissions process – or at least can talk to their networks about what they should do. I was completely alone and in the dark – reading up on every blog to figure out what I should do.

What I lacked was a person who could honestly and objectively look at my profile and help me communicate the whole of my profile. I needed someone who could look at my application materials, identify the holes and help me overcome them. I needed someone who could push me to take my application from good to great. I needed someone who could tell me what the programs were really like beyond all of the recruiting nonsense and sales pitches. After hanging up the phone I realized that these people exist and that they certainly exist at Stacey Blackman Consulting.

Would I have gotten into my dream school? Maybe. There are so many highly qualified people applying it is hard to tell. Do I think I would have had a much better shot at getting into my dream schools? Absolutely. Using your services would definitely have been worth the investment. The amount of time and guesswork they would have saved me would have undoubtedly made my applications significantly stronger and made my life through the process much less stressful.

This is likely not the typical email you receive – I am writing to tell you that I wished I would have gone to you last year. It’s a little strange. That said, I have a motive. I hope this email helps you convince someone else like me to take advantage of what you offer. It is an investment that really is worth it. From someone that did it on their own – it would have been worth every penny to get help.

Thanks! Even though I didn’t take advantage of it, I appreciate what you do!

Sincerely,

-B”

Send PM
Michigan Ross School Fall 2017 MBA Application Deadlines [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Michigan Ross School Fall 2017 MBA Application Deadlines

The University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business has announced the application deadlines for the 2016-2017 MBA admissions season. They are as follows:

Round 1
Application due: October 3, 2016

Decision released: December 16, 2016

Round 2
Application due: January 2, 2017

Decision released: March 17, 2017

Round 3
Application due: March 20, 2017

Decision released: May 12, 2017

All applications are due by 11:59 EST on the day of the deadline in order to be considered within that round. International applicants are encouraged to apply in rounds one or two to provide enough time for visa processing.

For more information, please visit the Michigan Ross MBA admissions website.

Image credit: Ross School of Business (CC BY-NC 2.0)
Send PM
Michigan Ross School Names Scott DeRue as New Dean [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Michigan Ross School Names Scott DeRue as New Dean

The Michigan Ross School of Business has appointed Scott DeRue as its next dean, effective July 1. DeRue will succeed Alison Davis-Blake, who one year ago today announced she would resign when her five-year term ends in June 2016.

Many in the Ross community are well familiar with DeRue, who is currently associate dean for Executive Education, director of the Sanger Leadership Center, professor of management, and faculty director of the Emerging Leaders Program.

According to the announcement made by the school, DeRue brings a blend of both academic and business success to Michigan Ross. His research focuses on how leaders and teams learn, adapt, and perform in complex and dynamic environments.

Prior to academia, he had a successful career spanning private equity investments, management consulting, and luxury yachts. As a professor at Michigan Ross, he has authored award-winning research, won teaching awards, and advised executives around the world on matters such as leadership and change management, culture, and team development.

“Since 2007 when I joined the Michigan Ross faculty, I have come to cherish the commitment to excellence and collaborative culture that define this school,” says DeRue. “We are already among the best business schools in the world, ranking top 5 in areas as diverse as leadership and management, entrepreneurship, accounting, operations, and supply chain management. Looking forward, I am thrilled to be working with our world-class faculty, staff, students, and alumni to build on that success and propel Michigan Ross into the future.”

Michigan Ross Dean to Step Down in 2016

Image credit: Michigan Ross School of Business
Send PM
Michigan Ross Fall 2017 MBA Application Essays [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Michigan Ross Fall 2017 MBA Application Essays

The University of Michigan Ross School of Business poses these two required essay questions and one optional statement in the Fall 2017 MBA application:

• What are you most proud of outside of your professional life? How does it shape who you are today? (up to 400 words)
  • What is your desired career path and why? (up to 400 words)
Optional Statement:

This section should only be used to convey information not addressed elsewhere in your application, for example, completion of supplemental coursework, employment gaps, academic issues, etc. Feel free to use bullet points where appropriate.

This season’s MBA applicants may be interested in revisiting the advice Soojin Kwon, director of MBA admissions at the Ross School, offered last year when addressing a similar iteration of these questions.

For the first question, Kwon said, “The context … is less important than your reason for being proud of something. We want to understand what makes something important to you. It gives us a glimpse into how you think about and process things, and what your priorities and values are. This is how we assess fit – through alignment of your values with the values of our community.“

For the second question, the admissions director explained that, “The main purpose of the career path question is so we can evaluate whether business school makes sense. A ‘good’ answer isn’t about saying you want to go into a traditional business field. In fact, many of our students pursue a wide range of careers outside of traditional business fields (e.g., education, nonprofit, emerging markets). A good answer will describe your rationale for being interested in a particular path.”

Finally, the Ross School admissions team wants to see essays that are clear and succinct. “It’s not a word count test, nor is it a creative writing test. Don’t write two paragraphs of introduction before stating what you’re most proud of,” Kwon advised last season, adding, “You can even start with, ‘I am most proud of….’ Write as you would speak. To a real person. We, who read the essays, are real people.”

For more information about applying, please visit the Ross School admissions website.

Michigan Ross School Fall 2017 MBA Application Deadlines

Image credit: Michigan Ross (CC BY-SA 3.0)

Send PM
Jonathan Levin Named Dean of Stanford GSB [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Jonathan Levin Named Dean of Stanford GSB

The Stanford Graduate School of Business has named economist  Jonathan Levin, former chair of the Stanford Department of Economics and a renowned expert in the field of industrial organization, as the next dean of the GSB, President John Hennessy and Provost John Etchemendy announced today.

Levin will succeed Garth Saloner, who is stepping down after seven years as dean. Levin’s appointment is effective September 1, 2016.

Levin joined the Stanford faculty in 2000 and is the Holbrook Working Professor in Price Theory at Stanford University. He was chair of the Department of Economics from 2011 to 2014. He is also a professor, by courtesy, at Stanford GSB, a senior fellow at the Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research and director of the Industrial Organization Program at the National Bureau for Economic Research.

The new dean is known for his scholarship in industrial organization. Levin’s research has spanned a range of topics including auctions and marketplace design, the economics of organizations, consumer finance and econometric methods for analyzing imperfect competition. His current interests include Internet platforms, the health care system and ways to incorporate new datasets into economic research.

“Jonathan is an outstanding teacher, a skilled and innovative administrator and a brilliant scholar who has deep understanding of both the academic enterprise and the workings of industry and government,” Etchemendy said. “Importantly, he brings a vision for the future of management education that is rooted in his extensive scholarship on the evolving needs of a global business community. I have every confidence he will continue the school’s strong trajectory.”

For more information about Levin, please see Stanford’s news release announcing his appointment as the tenth dean at the Graduate School of Business.

Stanford GSB Dean Saloner to Step Down

image credit: Stanford Graduate School of Business
Send PM
Before You Post That Selfie… [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Before You Post That Selfie…
Do you have a profile on any of the major social media platforms? Do you frequently tweet, upload pictures to Instagram or Flickr, or post updates on Facebook? If so, you might want to make sure your online presence won’t derail your MBA application efforts.

If an admissions team is leaning toward admitting you to their program, it’s possible that they could do a quick Google search on your name before making their final decision. If you’ve demonstrated bad judgment by posting pictures of yourself doing not-so-upstanding things or making offensive or otherwise politically incorrect comments, you’ve given them a reason to move your application to the ding pile.

You may remember when The New York Times reported on a high school senior who caused a stir at Bowdoin College after posting disparaging tweets about other attendees at the school’s information session. If some undergraduate admissions committees are using teenagers’ social media behavior against them, it’s possible that business schools won’t be any more forgiving with adults who should know better.

It doesn’t end with the admissions committee, either. Let’s say you are invited to interview with a local alum; that person might try to find out as much information about you as possible before your chat. Once you’re at school, potential internship and full-time employers could perform an even more extensive online background check. Your fellow classmates might do some digging, too!

So while you may believe it’s funny and harmless to post that selfie after you’ve tipped back one too many, think again. There’s a chance you could compromise your MBA candidacy because of a fleeting moment of indiscretion. If an admissions committee member comes across something that raises a red flag, they’ll likely move on to the next candidate.

Remember:

*** Do you want to stay on top of the application process with timely tips like these? Please subscribe to our weekly newsletter and you’ll receive our expert advice straight in your mailbox before it appears on the blog, plus special offers, promotions, discounts, invitations to events, and more.

Concerned about your online brand? Work with Stacy Blackman Consulting on your social media strategy.

Send PM
Final Days of SBC’s 2016 B-School Application Survey [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Final Days of SBC’s 2016 B-School Application Survey

Hey everyone! Have you answered our survey yet? We at Stacy Blackman Consulting want to check the pulse of this year’s crop of b-school applicants by polling them about their MBA plans. The survey poses 13 super simple questions, such as “How many schools are you applying to?”, and the whole questionnaire should take less than a minute to complete.

Every participant has the opportunity to enter a sweepstakes to win a $100 Amazon gift card. What are you waiting for? The survey closes at 5 p.m. EST on May 25. That’s right, it ends tomorrow! So please, take a moment to share with us your thoughts and experiences related to the MBA application process.

Enter survey here.

Thanks so much for your participation!

Send PM
Emory MBA Program Fall 2017 Application Deadlines [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Emory MBA Program Fall 2017 Application Deadlines

The Goitzueta Business School at Emory University has announced the MBA application deadlines for the 2016-2017 admissions season. They are as follows:

Round 1
Application due: October 14, 2016

Decision released: December 1, 2016

Round 2
Application due: November 11, 2016

Decision released: January 26, 2017

Round 3
Application due: January 4, 2017

Decision released: March 3, 2017 (Domestic) / March 10, 2017 (International)

Round 4
Application due: March 10, 2017

Decision released: April 28, 2017

For more information, please visit the Goitzueta MBA admissions website.

Send PM
Cornell Receives $25M Donation To Expand MBA Program [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Cornell Receives $25M Donation To Expand MBA Program

The Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management has received a $25 million gift from alumnus David Breazzano, one of the largest donations ever made to business education at Cornell.

Breazzano’s gift will help fund the state-of-the-art, six-story classroom and office complex currently under construction in Ithaca’s Collegetown.

In recognition of the historic gift, Dean Soumitra Dutta said the Cornell University leadership will recommend the Cornell Board of Trustees name the MBA program’s new Collegetown building the Breazzano Family Center for Business Education.

“Johnson helped me discover my passion and aptitude… That solid foundation has helped me throughout my career… I always knew I wanted to give back when I was in a position to do so.” David Breazzano

The 76,000-square-foot building, a modern design of glass and wood, is set to open in summer 2017 and will serve Johnson MBA and executive education students.

While conceived primarily to support Johnson’s growth in programs, the school says the Breazzano Family Center will also serve a broader cross-section of business students on the Ithaca campus via its lecture halls, breakout rooms and event space.

“This is the first major gift since the creation of the Cornell College of Business,” said Breazzano, who believes the gift will underscore “the value of combining the synergies of the schools.”

“Dave is an extraordinary leader of the Johnson alumni community,” said Dutta, who will assume his new role as dean of the Cornell College of Business later this year. “He has supported greater collaboration among schools at Cornell and believes the synergies that will result from the Cornell College of Business will benefit all. We are deeply grateful for his willingness to provide such a generous investment in support of Johnson’s continued excellence in business education.”

image credit: The Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management
Cornell to Establish Integrated College of Business

Send PM
Targeted Advice for MIT Sloan Applicants [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Targeted Advice for MIT Sloan Applicants

Is MIT Sloan School of Management on your short list of target schools for this fall’s MBA application season? It’s a phenomenal, highly academic program that draws on the MIT culture at large to offer cutting-edge classes and services, recruit acclaimed faculty, and foster collaborative and educational efforts that involve students, alumni and business partners.

Even among world-class MBA programs, MIT Sloan is in an elite group, with extremely high GMAT scores and GPAs higher than many other top programs. So how can applicants stand out with such a competitive applicant pool?

I recently shared my take with Business Insider readers on the three qualities MIT Sloan looks for in MBA candidates—innovation, global awareness, and analytical abilities—and offer the inside scoop on how you can concretely demonstrate you possess those stellar qualities. Take a look at the original article for my tips.

If you can show that you’d thrive in a program that is international in perspective, highly quantitative, and grounded in innovative approaches, you’ll have a good chance of demonstrating to the admissions team that you’d be an ideal candidate for MIT Sloan’s rigorous — and rewarding — program.

Send PM
IU Kelley MBA Program Fall 2017 Essays [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: IU Kelley MBA Program Fall 2017 Essays

The Kelley MBA program at Indiana University has posted the MBA essay questions for the 2016-2017 admissions cycle. They remain unchanged from last season, and are as follows:

1. Please discuss your immediate post-MBA professional goals. How will your professional experience, when combined with a Kelley MBA degree, allow you to achieve these goals? Should the short-term goals you have identified not materialize, what alternate career paths might you consider? (500 words)

2. Please respond to one of the following short essay prompts. (300 words)

a. My greatest memory is…

b. I’m most afraid of…

c. My greatest challenge has been…

d. I’m most proud of…

3. Please share with the admissions committee an interesting or surprising fact about you. (25 words)

Optional Essay:

Is there anything else that you think we should know as we evaluate your application? If you believe your credentials and essays represent you fairly, you shouldn’t feel obligated to answer this question. (300 words)

For more information, please visit the Kelley MBA program admissions website.

IU Kelley School Fall 2017 MBA Application Deadlines

Send PM
What to Do if You’re Light on Extracurriculars [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: What to Do if You’re Light on Extracurriculars
If you’re applying to business schools in Round 1, the process of pulling your materials together will consume much of your life in the coming months. Of particular focus will be planning how to best position yourself. If you’ve taken on leadership roles in volunteer organizations or have actively engaged with a nonprofit you’re passionate about, you’ll want to be sure you play up that angle in your materials.

But what if you’ve done nothing on that front? No volunteering, no extracurricular involvement—nada. Is your candidacy doomed?

No. Admissions committees understand that it’s extremely hard for some people to have meaningful involvement in an organization outside of work. This is often the case for those whose jobs constantly keep them on the road, or whose typical workday doesn’t even afford them the opportunity for a full night’s sleep.

The good news is that we have certainly seen compelling candidates be accepted to top programs even though they lack post-college extracurriculars.

However, if you weren’t involved in anything outside of class when you were an undergraduate, either, that might be a red flag. The MBA experience is about leveraging all facets of your life—not just what you’ve achieved on the job—to help your classmates learn.

So if you have no volunteer work or extracurricular activities to talk about, brainstorm what other relevant things you could share with fellow students in class. Think along the lines of travel or cultural experiences, or even a family situation. What else are you passionate about besides your job, and how has that passion manifested itself?

While it could look disingenuous to join a bunch of volunteer organizations in the months leading up to Round 1 deadlines, you could always see if your employer has any community-focused committees or sponsors any local events that you could get involved with in the near future.

Admissions committees are looking for well-rounded people. Remember:

*** Do you want to stay on top of the application process with timely tips like these? Please subscribe to our weekly newsletter and you’ll receive our expert advice straight in your mailbox before it appears on the blog, plus special offers, promotions, discounts, invitations to events, and more.

Send PM
Tuesday Tips: Stanford GSB Fall 2017 MBA Essay Tips [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Stacy Blackman Consulting Blog: Tuesday Tips: Stanford GSB Fall 2017 MBA Essay Tips

Stanford Graduate School of Business continues to ask applicants to delve deep into their personality, values and motivations for this set of MBA essays. The classic “what matters most” essay should be your primary focus, and secondly you will answer why Stanford is the next step in your journey.

Total word count for the essays must not exceed 1,150 words, so be judicious in deciding how much or little to write for each prompt. As a general guideline, Stanford GSB suggests 750 words for essay one and 400 words for essay two. Check your deadlines before you get started to make sure you are maximizing the time on your essays.

Essay A: What matters most to you, and why? (suggested 750 word limit)

– Focus on the “why” rather than the “what.”

– Do some deep self-examination, so you can genuinely illustrate who you are and how you came to be the person you are.

– Share the insights, experiences, and lessons that shaped your perspectives, rather than focusing merely on what you’ve done or accomplished.

– Write from the heart, and illustrate how a person, situation, or event has influenced you.

This classic Stanford GSB MBA essay is your opportunity to demonstrate who you are, what motivates you, and why. Topics can range from personal history to grand visions of the future. While this topic should not be explicitly career related (and the strongest essays are likely not career oriented at all) it is possible that some of your themes will continue in your career essay.

Your accomplishments and achievements are part of why you have developed into the person you are today, however it’s far more important to explain your influences, lessons learned and motivations. Introspection and honesty should persist through the entire set of essays.

To generate ideas, try brainstorming over a period of a few days. Ask friends and family what values they see you demonstrating in your life and choices. Keep a notebook by your bed so you can record your first thoughts upon waking up, and mine your personal history for ideas. What keeps you awake at night? When you look back at your life what will you admire and regret about your choices? These are the kind of questions to ask yourself as you approach topics for this essay.

Though the essay question may seem open-ended, answering the question with vivid and specific examples will provide solid evidence that you have demonstrated or experienced “what matters most” throughout your life. Keep in mind as you select examples that Stanford GSB specifically advises focusing on people and experiences that have influenced you, rather than accomplishments or achievements.

Essay B: Why Stanford?

Enlighten us on how earning your MBA at Stanford will enable you to realize your ambitions. (suggested 400 word limit, 450 for applicants to both the MBA and MBx programs)

– Explain your decision to pursue graduate education in management.

– Explain the distinctive opportunities you will pursue at Stanford.

-If you are applying to both the MBA and MSx programs, use Essay B to address your interest in both programs.

After you have explained what is most important to you in life you need to explain why your next step is a Stanford MBA. The sub questions for this essay cover both why you are interested in pursuing an MBA at all, and why you specifically want to attend Stanford GSB. Stanford GSB wants to know your aspirations will be uniquely satisfied by the program at Stanford GSB, and research will help you determine what aspects of the academic program, community and students are crucial to your aspirations.

Be as specific as possible in your response to provide evidence that you have done your research. You should know everything about the aspects of the program that most appeal to you. Have you met current students and alumni? Who are the professors you are excited about? What are the unique programs?

When you discuss how Stanford will help you achieve your ambitions consider that Stanford likes to see applicants who dream big, and have the credibility to achieve their goals. Be bold with your aspirations. Don’t focus on what your parents or partner want you to do. Don’t think about the next job on the corporate ladder. What do you, with your own unique background and values, want for your life?

If the question seems too vast, take a few minutes to close your eyes and reflect. Envision your life in twenty years. Where do you live? How do you spend your days? What is your favorite activity? How does this vision fit into your career aspirations? Don’t be shy about your ambitions. Once you have identified your dream career, you also need to make sure an MBA is an important part of achieving your plans and explain that part in your essay.

Though you should think big, don’t make the mistake of acting as if you are already perfect with no development needed. Remember that MBA programs want to help promising candidates reach their goals and be a step on an ambitious career trajectory.

Finding the Stanford essays challenging? Contact Stacy Blackman Consulting for personalized guidance through the application process.

GMAT Club Bot
Tuesday Tips: Stanford GSB Fall 2017 MBA Essay Tips [#permalink]
   1  ...  34   35   36   37   38  ...  136