It is currently 21 Feb 2018, 21:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

standard deviation

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
standard deviation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2009, 22:03
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

This topic is locked. If you want to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum.

If the mean on the exam is 530 and the standard deviation is 110,what percent of the test takers score between 420 and 750?

STUMPED!

http://gmatclub.com/forum/countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UPenn, UMich, HKS, UCB, Chicago
Re: standard deviation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2009, 22:30
What is the distribution type? Normal ? If normal what is the skewness and etc. We can only infer that it want us the distribution of -1 st.dev & + 2 st.dev. If this is a normal distribution with all variables standart, we can say that 0,4772 (z=2) + 0,3413 (z=1) = 0,8185 = %82
Director
Director
Name: Ronak Amin
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2009, 22:54
maliyeci wrote:
What is the distribution type? Normal ? If normal what is the skewness and etc. We can only infer that it want us the distribution of -1 st.dev & + 2 st.dev. If this is a normal distribution with all variables standart, we can say that 0,4772 (z=2) + 0,3413 (z=1) = 0,8185 = %82

can you pls explain further ? how do you come up with these figures?
I am not much into statistics as such :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2009, 23:18
This is one of the main concepts of basic statistics.
420=530-110=530-1.std.dev
So z1=(530-420)/110=1 (z is a term used for showing how many std. devs. far away from mean).
z2=(750-530)/110=2
After that we use normal normal distribution tables. You can find a table by googling. Put z's. z1 shows the left side, z2 shows the right side. Summing them, we find the total percentage.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2009, 23:22
Economist wrote:
maliyeci wrote:

can you pls explain further ? how do you come up with these figures?
I am not much into statistics as such :(

Those are properties of normal distribution Image from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Standard_deviation_diagram.svg
You can also check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_distribution
But, actually, GMAT doesn't check this knowledge.
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2009, 01:24
Exactly guys,I got this question off the new PR 1012 and they have solved it exactly as the curve has been shown.I have'nt come cross such questions before.Do i need to learn it??Will it be tested on the GMAT??

http://gmatclub.com/forum/countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2009, 01:31
But some datas are missing. e.g. What is skewness? What is kurtosis?
Expert Post
GMAT Tutor
S

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2009, 03:15
Normal distributions are *not* tested on the GMAT. The question in the post above can't be answered without more information, and if you need to use details of the normal distribution to answer it, it is not a realistic test question.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2009, 08:35
IanStewart wrote:
Normal distributions are *not* tested on the GMAT. The question in the post above can't be answered without more information, and if you need to use details of the normal distribution to answer it, it is not a realistic test question.

How are we sure that such questions are not tested in GMAT? when the source is from Princeton Review who are into GMAT from decades.
Expert Post
GMAT Tutor
S

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2009, 09:08
gmanjesh wrote:
IanStewart wrote:

How are we sure that such questions are not tested in GMAT? when the source is from Princeton Review who are into GMAT from decades.

Trust whoever you like, but the GMAT only tests statistics of finite sets. Normally distributed sets are by definition infinite, so can't appear on the GMAT (finite sets can be at best 'approximately normal'), and the handful of questions that have been posted here recently about finite "normally distributed" sets are based on a misunderstanding of statistics.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2009, 09:46
Provided the distribution is normal, just memorize the empirical rule, really kind of useful. 1 stdev of mean = 68% 2, = 95% 3 =99.7

so for the problem

100-68= 32 / 2 (its two tailed = 16% score below 530)
100-95=5 / 2 (its two tailed = 2.5% score above 750)

2.5+16 = 18.5 (not scoring within that rage and... 100-18.5 = 81.5 ~~82 which are those encompassed in that range.

SF
Re: standard deviation   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2009, 09:46

standard deviation

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap