GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jul 2018, 17:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

8 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: IU KSB
Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Nov 2009, 10:52
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (00:53) correct 46% (00:56) wrong based on 767 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview witnesses separately rather than together.

(A) Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview witnesses separately rather than together
(B) A requirement, according to standard police procedure, is that an officer interview witness separately rather than interviewing them together
(C) Standard police procedure requires an officer to interview witnesses separately rather than to interview them together
(D) It is required in standard police procedure that an officer interviews witnesses separately, not together
(E) Standard police procedure requires that an officer interviews witnesses separately rather than together

Originally posted by swatirpr on 26 Nov 2009, 12:28.
Last edited by swatirpr on 28 Nov 2009, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.
Most Helpful Community Reply
5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Re: Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2009, 22:27
IMO A

in subjunctive mood the verb is always plural(interview)
General Discussion
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2009, 22:50
Very confused between A and C.
Both A and C are grammatically correct, but I think "Standard police procedure requires to interview" is better than "require that an officer interview".
Because this is a "standard police procedure", a must do, not just a suggestion that officer should do, officers have to do so, so "require to do" is correct.
Hence C.

http://www.online-stopwatch.com/
http://gmatsentencecorrection.blogspot.com/

3 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2009, 23:17
ya very right its A
Command subjunctive for bossy verbs(require,propose etc)
...hence bare form of the verb(interview) without "s" will be used

Example: We Propose that the school band DISBAND

http://gmatclub.com/forum/math-polygons-87336.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: PMP

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Nov 2009, 10:48
for subjunctive mood the verb should be in base form without the to

Thanks, Sri
-------------------------------
keep uppp...ing the tempo...

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip

Originally posted by srini123 on 27 Nov 2009, 21:29.
Last edited by srini123 on 28 Nov 2009, 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: IU KSB

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2009, 21:39
fall2009 wrote:
Very confused between A and C.
Both A and C are grammatically correct, but I think "Standard police procedure requires to interview" is better than "require that an officer interview".
Because this is a "standard police procedure", a must do, not just a suggestion that officer should do, officers have to do so, so "require to do" is correct.
Hence C.

Yes, I also think they both are grammatically correct but A is more concise.

both 'Require that' and 'Require to' are correct

Require takes either command subjunctive or the infinitive

Require + that + subject + Base Verb (Infinitive without To)
Require + (to + Base Verb)

Thanks everyone :-D
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2009, 21:50
Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview witnesses separately rather than together.
(a) Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview witnesses separately rather than together-->IMO correct

(b) A requirement, according to standard police procedure, is that an officer interview witness separately rather than interviewing them together-->not //

(c) Standard police procedure requires an officer to interview witnesses separately rather than to interview them together--> i can think of the grammar wrong here, i can see only that A is more concise

(d) It is required in standard police procedure that an officer interviews witnesses separately, not together
(e) Standard police procedure requires that an officer interviews witnesses separately rather than together
"Require" is subjunctive V. Therefore, the verb after "require to" or "require that" has to be bare form verb (no -s, no -ed)--> eliminate E,D

I am not born to be a GENIUS nor a GMATTER. If you are struggling, we are in the same boat. Fight to the last!!

Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia, Johnson, Tuck, Stern

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2010, 07:46
Can anyone explain why in A, even though the subject " officer" is singular, we can still use a singular verb " interview" rather than " interviews" ?? Thats why i was leaning towards C and E.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.0

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2010, 07:52
Wayxi wrote:
Can anyone explain why in A, even though the subject " officer" is singular, we can still use a singular verb " interview" rather than " interviews" ?? Thats why i was leaning towards C and E.

if you eliminate some details in this sentence, you will see the structure "require + that + S + Verb" . When you see the structure "require + that + S-V" you should immediately think of subjunctive mood which the Verb will be used in bare infinitive verb.
Ex:
A requires that B interview witnesses separately rather than together. correct
A requires that B interviews witnesses separately rather than together incorrect

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 3: 740 Q40 V50
GMAT 4: 700 Q48 V38
GMAT 5: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 6: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 9: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 11: 500 Q47 V33
GMAT 14: 760 Q49 V44
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2010, 14:21
Got the same problem to choose between A and C.
Chose A because it was more concise.

Subjonctive required when using the following verbs:
Propose
Require
Request
Recommend
Insist
Suggest
Mandate
Ask
Demand
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2013, 22:15
I know that i'm replying after ages but couldn't find the explanation i had in mind so putting forth my reason for choosing A between A and C

(A) Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview witnesses separately rather than together
(C) Standard police procedure requires an officer to interview witnesses separately rather than to interview them together

C changes the meaning of the original sentence .. it says the procedure requires an officer to interview which makes it sound more like a vacancy to be filled .. i choose A as its the subjunctive mood and lays out the authority of the procedure clearly ...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2015, 04:29
xcusemeplz2009 wrote:
(a) Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview witnesses separately rather than together
(b) A requirement, according to standard police procedure, is that an officer interview witness separately rather than interviewing them together
(c) Standard police procedure requires an officer to interview witnesses separately rather than to interview them together
(d) It is required in standard police procedure that an officer interviews witnesses separately, not together
(e) Standard police procedure requires that an officer interviews witnesses separately rather than together

Require can be used in two ways-

Require that X + subjunctive verb

Require X + infinitive form of verb

A is correct;.
C is correct as far as the idiomatic usage of require is concerned but goes wrong in the latter half with false parallelsim-separately rather than to interview them together

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2017, 12:07
The OA is correct and explanations provided in the thread appear sufficient. If there are any specific questions, please post them here and then click again on the "Request Expert Reply" button – closing this request.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2017, 12:36
sayantanc2k wrote:
The OA is correct and explanations provided in the thread appear sufficient. If there are any specific questions, please post them here and then click again on the "Request Expert Reply" button – closing this request.

My understanding is that "rather than " is used for comparing clauses or verb,however here noun "together " is used.Please clarify
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2017, 23:29
manchat wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

My understanding is that "rather than " is used for comparing clauses or verb,however here noun "together " is used.Please clarify

"Together" is an adverb, not a noun.

Nonetheless "rather than" can be used to join even nouns. "Rather than" is more general than "instead of" and can be used to join phrases, clauses, nouns, verbs or adverbs, whereas "instead of" can only join nouns or noun phrases.
Current Student
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 3: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 2.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2017, 11:21
sayantanc2k wrote:

Hello sayantanc2k,

Could you please explain why option C is incorrect ?

Thanks
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
G

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2017, 03:55
karant wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

Hello sayantanc2k,

Could you please explain why option C is incorrect ?

Thanks

C is not wrong gramatically, but it could be more concise. Repeating "to interview them" makes this option wordy.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 12:29
mikemcgarry GMATNinjaTwo GMATNinja

Hi, I was wondering could you please explain the difference between option A and C? I was able to get down to these two options but ended up picking the wrong option even though I knew option A was more concise and beautiful. I was wondering if there are any specific grammatical errors in option C? Also, if you could please explain the difference between "require that" and "require to", I would immensely appreciate it as well!

Thank You!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 12:53
csaluja wrote:
Hi, I was wondering could you please explain the difference between option A and C? I was able to get down to these two options but ended up picking the wrong option even though I knew option A was more concise and beautiful. I was wondering if there are any specific grammatical errors in option C? Also, if you could please explain the difference between "require that" and "require to", I would immensely appreciate it as well!

Thank You!

Dear csaluja,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

Choice (C) is 100% grammatically correct, but it's clunky and awkward. By repeating words in the second branch of the parallelism, it creates a repetitive redundant effect that the GMAT abhors. See:
Dropping Common Words in Parallel on the GMAT

In general, many students labor under the misconception that the GMAT SC is primarily a test of grammar, that grammar is the most important element tested. This is patently false. On a well-written sentence on the GMAT SC, grammar and logic and rhetoric all work together to support meaning. The students who pay attention to grammar are missing more than half the story, and the GMAT specifically designs incorrect answer choices that are grammatically correct, such as (C), to ensnare such students.

Both "requires that A do X" and "requires A to do X" are idiomatically correct. For more on idioms, see:
GMAT Idiom Flashcards

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2018, 06:57
why is option C incorrect?

thanks
Re: Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview &nbs [#permalink] 02 Apr 2018, 06:57

Standard police procedure requires that an officer interview

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap