It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 09:13

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Standard & Poor's, publisher of the greatly followed S&P 500 Index

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Senior CR Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1099 [1], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Standard & Poor's, publisher of the greatly followed S&P 500 Index [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 07:33
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

28% (01:26) correct 72% (00:52) wrong based on 213 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Standard & Poor's, publisher of the greatly followed S&P 500 Index for US stock market, has changed the composition of the index by adding companies from upcoming industries like healthcare and ecommerce; this makes the index more balanced than before.

A. upcoming industries like healthcare and ecommerce; this makes the index more balanced than
B. upcoming industries like healthcare and ecommerce, making the new index more balanced than the index
C. upcoming industries such as healthcare and ecommerce to make the index more balanced than
D. such upcoming industries as healthcare and ecommerce; this makes the index more balanced than it was
E. upcoming industries such as healthcare and ecommerce and makes the index more balanced than it was

Source: ExpertGlobal
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Kudos [?]: 1099 [1], given: 62

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 317

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Standard & Poor's, publisher of the greatly followed S&P 500 Index [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 15:27
My take on this question is "C"
may i ask what is OA ?

I'm just a hiker who is trying to conquer "GMAT Everest" and asking stupid questions!!!

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 317

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 64

Re: Standard & Poor's, publisher of the greatly followed S&P 500 Index [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 10:28
I also thought it was C. Can someone explain why it is D?

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 64

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 35

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 12:13
Please why is C wrong?

"it was"and "Before" isn't it redundant

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 35

Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 16

GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.73

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 16:49
I think the official answer may be wrong.

It has to be C
In D, "this" must refer to a noun....but "changing the composition of the index" is what makes the index more balances than before. Therefore, D has no clear antecedent.

If I'm wrong, can someone help and tell me why

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 16

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [2], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 17:06
This post received
KUDOS
A and B have "like" error.
C has comparison error as "index" is getting compared with "before". Also, C shows intention - a different meaning than the meaning of the original sentence.
E has parallelism error - S&P's...has changed the composition....and makes the index.
Therefore, the answer is D.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 4 [2], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 12

Concentration: Finance, General Management

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2017, 23:20
This post was
BOOKMARKED
chisichei wrote:
Please why is C wrong?

"it was"and "Before" isn't it redundant

I don't think any of the option is perfectly correct. Below is my take on this question

Options A & B could be eliminated easily because of incorrect use of LIKE.
Option E could be eliminated because use of AND leads to a RUN-ON sentence.
Option D is incorrect because of lack of antecedent of THIS. Option D would have been correct, if we would have used THIS ACT.
Option C looks best, but it also has a logical error since this option compares INDEX with TIME, an illogical comparison. Option C would have been correct, if we would have added IT WAS in the end.

If you like the post, show appreciation by pressing Kudos button

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 12

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 190

Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 18:45
nguyendinhtuong wrote:
Standard & Poor's, publisher of the greatly followed S&P 500 Index for US stock market, has changed the composition of the index by adding companies from upcoming industries like healthcare and ecommerce; this makes the index more balanced than before.

A. upcoming industries like healthcare and ecommerce; this makes the index more balanced than
B. upcoming industries like healthcare and ecommerce, making the new index more balanced than the index
C. upcoming industries such as healthcare and ecommerce to make the index more balanced than
D. such upcoming industries as healthcare and ecommerce; this makes the index more balanced than it was
E. upcoming industries such as healthcare and ecommerce and makes the index more balanced than it was

Source: ExpertGlobal

A and B are wrong because like is ungrammatically used to introduce examples. "Such as" can be used to correct this mistake. C, D and E correct this mistake.
C is wrong because it changes the sentence's meaning. The 1st sentence says "this makes..." so it is an observation about S&P change rather than an indication of the purpose of S&P's action.
E is wrong because "has changed" and "makes" are not parallel to each other in terms of verb tense.
D is thus the correct answer.

--
Please give a kudos if you find this post useful.

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 18:59
If we look at the idiom, only C is the best but C has wrong comparison. Non underlined portion is 'from' and correct idiom should be 'from' X to Y'.

Sent from my XT1663 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 23

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 19:07
goalMBA1990 wrote:
If we look at the idiom, only C is the best but C has wrong comparison. Non underlined portion is 'from' and correct idiom should be 'from' X to Y'.

Sent from my XT1663 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

"From" is not used as in "from A to B" idiom. This "from" is used more like in "As you requested, I am going to bring with me a friend from my class."

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 44

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2017, 17:37
@E-gmat/ Shraddha
Could you help me clarify the VERB + ING modifier rule here?

In Option B, if we ignore the obvious error of "like" usage, could you help me understand if the use of VERB + ING modifier is correct?

Standard & Poor's, publisher of the greatly followed S&P 500 Index for US stock market, has changed the composition of the index by adding companies from upcoming industries like healthcare and ecommerce, making the new index more balanced than the index before.

I went through e-gmat videos on this and not sure what action and noun the following modifier modifies:
making the new index more balanced than the index before

From the concept videos I saw that it usually modifies immediate previous action is there are more than one actions/verb in the sentence.
From my analysis, the blue are noun and green are verb/action-verbs. In this case, does this VERB-ING clause modifies noun "the composition of the index"? Does it make sense?

On a related note, it was not clear to me, from the concept videos, if the VERB_ING modifier can modify the "first" noun or first verb depending on the context? In the examples where there were two action-verbs/verb, it always referred the immediately previous one.

Thanks in advance.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 44

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 166 [1], given: 138

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2017, 05:59
This post received
KUDOS

A. upcoming industries like healthcare and ecommerce; this makes the index more balanced than -We quote examples with such as
B. upcoming industries like healthcare and ecommerce, making the new index more balanced than the index -We quote examples with such as
C. upcoming industries such as healthcare and ecommerce to make the index more balanced than -this changes the meaning. the intent for changing the index isn't demonstrated in the original sentence
D. such upcoming industries as healthcare and ecommerce; this makes the index more balanced than it was -Correct
E. upcoming industries such as healthcare and ecommerce and makes the index more balanced than it was -incorrect parallelism

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
2. LSAT RC compilation
3. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
4. QOTD RC (Carcass)
5. Challange OG RC

Kudos [?]: 166 [1], given: 138

Re: Standard & Poor's, publisher of the greatly followed S&P 500 Index   [#permalink] 11 Dec 2017, 05:59

Standard & Poor's, publisher of the greatly followed S&P 500 Index

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap