GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 25 May 2018, 15:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stanford MSx vs. HBS

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Stanford MSx vs. HBS [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2018, 18:22
Hi!

I've been accepted to both Stanford MSx and HBS and looking for advice/ thoughts. I'm a 32 yo female primarily interested in VC (either corp or traditional) and Corp Dev. Possibly Product Manager roles as well, but my current company will most likely be letting me return with a promotion post program, so those may be longer term goals. I've worked abroad and primarily on east coast. Geographically open long term, including interests in working in Europe. Since i will most likely be returning to same company, looking at it from a brand/ network/ learning rather than a career switch.

MSX:
Pros: 1 year (reduces opp cost and time), really like Stanford culture and living out in west coast for at least a year, flexibility of curriculum, fellow MSxers at similar career level, Stanford network?
Cons: not sure if MSx is valued same as MBA (help here would be great), International / East coast network?, demographic does lean older

HBS MBA:
Pros: Brand, Network, Case Study method
Cons: students are younger (avg 26-27) and less experienced, I've heard culture can be competitive so have concerns about fit (esp given my age/personality), program is 2 years - higher cost & opp cost

Will i get the value, network, and prestige of the Stanford brand if I do MSx? Is HBS a better long term play? Is there a good Stanford network on East Coast/ Intl?

Any experiences from those who've attended MSx or older HBS grads would be great
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Stanford MSx vs. HBS [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 May 2018, 19:07
Wow! Congratulations!

MSx is a much smaller programs than HBS and seems to have an older crowd that is much more committed and connected. I have recently connected one of the GMAT Club users with an MSx VC alum (former Sloan program) and despite the fact that he graduated 15 years ago, they responded right away and clearly good enough impression to drop INSEAD from one's radar. I feel the MSx program is more for successful non-MBA types that consider the program in some ways a finishing touch to their career rather than a start/beginning of their new track. Does that make sense? I don't think anyone has gone to Stanford and felt they missed out on anything - it is not #2, it is rather an alternative to HBS. Kind of like the folks who choose Lexus instead of BMW or Mercedes that are too cliche. However, note that MSx wont' connect you with alums before you are committed and matriculating, unlike many other schools and programs.

I don't think you can go wrong with HBS really. It is #1 for a reason.

The main choices are:
1 year vs. 2 (are you looking for a new career path that needs an internship and 2 years)?
The second choice is the age group - are you looking for peers/older/more accomplished/experienced people with families and kids or the rising stars? There are pros and cons to both, though HBS will have a good number of more mature quieter people too. HBS students are some of the nicest and humble people I have ever met.

I would add the program size matters - one is much smaller than the other and finally the networks. I would guess (I have no hard facts) that MSx is mostly west coast-based alum network but maybe I am off.... I also feel MSx has a fair share of VC presence in its alum ranks.... and while smaller, it is probably pretty tight. You can consider reaching out to karroty here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/insead-vs-st ... 45636.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2018, 14:54
HBS easy call
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2018, 21:30
Thanks for help!
Couple follow up questions - Is MSx perceived in market as same as an MBA (or at least equal)? Do stanford alumni treat “MSx” differently than MBA?

Posted from my mobile device
Re: Stanford MSx vs. HBS   [#permalink] 22 May 2018, 21:30

Stanford MSx vs. HBS

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Wilch, teleste, jessepinkman

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap