Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Management Consulting (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
Re: Stanford Sloan Fellows admits - Class of 2014 [#permalink]
Kudos
Please find below my timeline

• Application submitted: Oct-31-2012
  • Interview invitation: Nov-08-2012
  • Phone interview: Nov-15-2012
  • Verbal acceptance: Dec-21-2012
  • Letter of acceptance (by email): Jan-04-2013

Cheers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Kudos
seniormba wrote:
cyril94115 wrote:
I just got the call too ! :) Actually Melinda e-mailed me to call her... So, I just 'gave' THE call. She informed me I was in!!! Awesome news. So excited. Now, I need to figure out all about the program! And see if it is better for me than a FT MBA. (that's what I was going for originally)

Yes yes yes! So excited !

Thank you Douglas,

Congrats Cyril!.. Can you please share if you had an interview and if so when. Also, what is your background? Thx.

Thanks. I did go to the program office a couple times and talked to Melinda.
My background is in engineering. I am from France. Worked in Germany and the US. Manager of a team of engineers in a large tech company in the bay area. (Gmat: 710)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
cyril94115 wrote:
Now, I need to figure out all about the program! And see if it is better for me than a FT MBA. (that's what I was going for originally)

Cyril-

Congrats!

From the research I have done, it seems like the Sloan Fellows get one quarter in the summer to get "caught up" - then pretty much join the MBA2s in the fall. There are still some Sloan-specific classes in the remaining 3 quarters, but they assume you have real world experience so have a baseline of knowledge and skill that is different from the FT MBAs...

Hope you join us in July!

-Erik
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
theblueknight wrote:
seniormba wrote:
Hi,
Anyone else heard from the program? I had my interview 2 weeks back and haven't heard back. Wondering what is the timeline for decisions. Are good news faster to come by than the bad ones?

Thanks.

Hi there,

Haven't heard anything on my side yet. Did you apply in the second round?

Also, can you please share what was the general direction of questions in your interview. How was the experience? Was it an alumni interview or with someone from the adcom?

Would really appreciate if people interviewed in first round would also share their experience.

Thanks,

:-)

Hi Everybody,

Congrats to those who got in. I have also gotten my admission letter. My timeline is as follows:

Aug 15th: Submitted my application
Aug 27th : Went down for class observation as well as a face to face interview with Virginia
Dec 6th: Received verbal Confirmation from Virginia
Dec 27th: Received email confirmation from Sally
Feb 12th : Received Packet.

Just to clarify that I was the one who asked for class observation and they took the opportunity to interview me after that.

The general questions that I had during the interview were towards self introduction and for them to get a clearer in depth understanding of myself and my work. They also wanted to understand why I am applying to go back to school. They also asked about some of the challenges I faced in my past experience and in detail what I hope to do when I get back to Singapore. They also asked me to clarify any questions that I may have. In short it was a very warm and friendly chat and they made sure I was really comfortable. According to one of the Alumnus that I am in contact with, the adcom will be the one doing the interviews and they make it an effort to interview every single one before they admit the candidate. I do have the impression that an introduction from an Alumnus would help, but I am not sure about that.

Hope to see you guys in April

EF
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Kudos
claudayst wrote:
Dear all,
I need some advice and I am coming to you with some hope to get answers. I have been thinking of taking an eMBA for a while now, yet I was never conviced by the format of this type of program. I have discovered recentely the Stanford Sloan MS program and was wondering if my profile could fit.
I am 37, have 12 years experience in financial services industry (derivatives brokerage and prime clearing services for one of the world's leading company), 5 years as a global manager (across Asia, Europe and Americas). I have a successful track record with quick progression. I am from Morroco and live in Paris.
I will quit my job in a few months as I need to refocus on the path I want to follow and to be honest, I am very keen to set a venture. Entrepreneurship is really what I want.
Considering these elements, do you guys (i) that my profile could fit, and (ii) that not having a job at the time of subscription is prohibitive?
Many thanks in advance for your feedback.
C.

Hi there,
I think you have the right profile to apply! Right experience, an industry that is well represented in the class. And the fact that you want to start a new venture points to the GSB for sure!
My advise would be to still keep your job until you apply. Or you should have a really good reason why you quit, and explain what you are doing since you left! Giving it a shot at your own venture might be a compelling story! (and you'd learn so much doing it)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
NewCardinal wrote:
cyril94115 wrote:
claudayst wrote:
Dear all,
I need some advice and I am coming to you with some hope to get answers. I have been thinking of taking an eMBA for a while now, yet I was never conviced by the format of this type of program. I have discovered recentely the Stanford Sloan MS program and was wondering if my profile could fit.
I am 37, have 12 years experience in financial services industry (derivatives brokerage and prime clearing services for one of the world's leading company), 5 years as a global manager (across Asia, Europe and Americas). I have a successful track record with quick progression. I am from Morroco and live in Paris.
I will quit my job in a few months as I need to refocus on the path I want to follow and to be honest, I am very keen to set a venture. Entrepreneurship is really what I want.
Considering these elements, do you guys (i) that my profile could fit, and (ii) that not having a job at the time of subscription is prohibitive?
Many thanks in advance for your feedback.
C.

Hi there,
I think you have the right profile to apply! Right experience, an industry that is well represented in the class. And the fact that you want to start a new venture points to the GSB for sure!
My advise would be to still keep your job until you apply. Or you should have a really good reason why you quit, and explain what you are doing since you left! Giving it a shot at your own venture might be a compelling story! (and you'd learn so much doing it)

Totally agree with Cyril... Don't quit your job if you don't need to... Worst case, you could end up with no job and no school admittances... No need to do that to yourself.

I'm going to take a slightly different stance.

First, you certainly sound like a fit for the program, so apply.

Second, know that Stanford applauds risk taking, particularly when the intention is to drive change. So I don't think that quitting your job to work on a new venture will hurt you. That is what I did. In fact, I think that it would be difficult to interview as a candidate that doesn't enjoy their job and has a venture idea, but is unwilling to commit to it. If you are quitting just to take a sabbatical, that could be problematic (unless your going to do something really cool like climb everest).

One piece of advice - which is particularly important if you do decide to leave your job - I believe it is essential to schedule a campus/class visit and a face-to-face interview with the admissions staff. I did so and I feel like it help tremendously as it allowed me to explain my position and discuss my new venture. In fact, I don't believe I would have been admitted without the interview. Cyril is right, your industry experience is well represented. But, I would assume it is also one of the most competitive for admittance.

Good luck
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hello NewCardinal!

I'll be there too :-) I received the verbal notification in early December.

I'm from Brazil... Where are you from?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
Hi Pedro-

I'm from Virginia, USA.

Where in Brazil are you from?

-E
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Erik,

I'm from Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais.

I'll join the Facebook and Linkedin Groups... :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Hi guys,

I got accepted too. I received a call from Melinda last dec-21.

I am from Brazil as well, but from Sao Paulo.

- Douglas
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Douglas-

Congrats!

See you in April.

-Erik

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 3
WE 1: semiconductors
Send PM
Do Stanford / MIT publish the admissions statistics, acceptance rate for the SF (sloan fellows) program over the years? I can't find this information on their websites. Appreciate anyone sharing this information, thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
firsttimer2 wrote:
Do Stanford / MIT publish the admissions statistics, acceptance rate for the SF (sloan fellows) program over the years? I can't find this information on their websites. Appreciate anyone sharing this information, thanks.

Hi Firsttimer-

I have not been able to find admission stats for Sloan Fellows - and I did a lot of searching prior to applying... I don't even know how many people apply. The current cohort (class of 2013) is 81 enrolled students.

The only useful stat I saw was international students make up ~60% of the incoming class.

Hopefully someone else will find something!
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 3
WE 1: semiconductors
Send PM
thanks newcardinal, congrats on the acceptance.

Yes, they have profiles of students on the web but no admissions stats unlike their mba program. Ive been trying to find info regarding SF placements and how it compares to regular ft mba program in terms of integration with the bschool community; doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info out there. Only three admits noted on this forum this year. Is the admissions committee for SF program same as mba program (means DB at stanford and rod garcia at mit)?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
firsttimer2 wrote:
Ive been trying to find info regarding SF placements and how it compares to regular ft mba program in terms of integration with the bschool community; doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info out there.

Hey FT-

Not sure if you're talking about job placement or acceptance / matriculation into the program...

As for job placement, I've seen a few articles out there that basically says that job placement for Sloanies (and many other EMBA programs) is virtually non-existent. And this actually makes sense - the students are not uniform enough (in terms of experience and career progression) to draw a large number of recruiters / positions to campus. So, unlike newly minted MBAs, a competitive shotgun interviewing approach doesn't work. So, hiring for more experienced EMBAs (and Sloanies) tends to be more hand-picked and drawn from the students own connections. Also, Stanford, in particular, breeds a lot of entrepreneurs - so the Sloanies are particularly likely to be launching startups, not looking for jobs...

As for placement into the GSB as a whole, what I've been able to find indicates that Sloan students get a summer term to get to know each other and wipe out some core curriculum courses. Then, in the fall, join with the rest of the MBA students in many electives and b-school life. Sloanies are up to speed by this time and are almost as seasoned as the second year students - definitely senior to the first year students. No idea how this compares to Sloan programs elsewhere.

I've got links to other Sloan student blogs in my new blog... Might help...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
NewCardinal wrote:
firsttimer2 wrote:

Hi Firsttimer-

I have not been able to find admission stats for Sloan Fellows - and I did a lot of searching prior to applying... I don't even know how many people apply. The current cohort (class of 2013) is 81 enrolled students.

The only useful stat I saw was international students make up ~60% of the incoming class.

Hopefully someone else will find something!

Hi NewCardinal,

Did you also look at MIT Sloan Fellows which awards an MBA too? If so, I would be interested to know why you chose Stanford over MIT? Doesn't MBA have better brand value?

Thx and Congrats on admission.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ratnapukiran wrote:
Did you also look at MIT Sloan Fellows which awards an MBA too? If so, I would be interested to know why you chose Stanford over MIT? Doesn't MBA have better brand value?

Nope - didn't even look at MIT...

I'm huge on Stanford's strong legacy in Entrepreneurship. I'm less concerned about what other people think about my degree - more interested in what I will learn and who I will meet. So MSMgmt -vs- MBA was totally not an issue for me. For people who get hung up about that, I will still be able to say that I went to Stanford GSB...

I really think that people with my level of work experience (18 years) will mostly agree with me...
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts