GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Jun 2019, 19:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a strong regener

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G
GPA: 3.87
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a strong regener  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2018, 01:56
BukrsGmat wrote:
Darmody wrote:
thangvietnam wrote:
I fail this question

"overcompensating" and " growing" are not independent actions and the use of "and" is not suitable. A and B are out
the 2 actions are of the same event. comma+doing is used not "and"

I am confused. pls, help

same I crossed B because I thought growing had to modify overcompensate otherwise it does not make sense to have the verb "overcompensate" alone like that. Can somebody explain? And also would it be possible to explain what is exactly is wrong with E? Thx !

Let's Focus on B and E
Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a strong regenerative ability, and if one arm is lost it quickly replaces it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating and growing an extra one or two.

B one arm is lost it is quickly replaced, with the animal sometimes overcompensating and
E they lose one arm it is quickly replaced, sometimes with the animal overcompensating,

1 Usage of sometimes : meaning in E is changed, as if sometimes with the animal
Sometimes should come near what it is modifying...they replace it that results something

2. and should separate two different v-ing modifiers...
when we say IC1 , and IC2 then only it means IC1 and IC2 are independent
but when there is a list with common subject we can simply write sub X and Y
when there is a list with 3 or more in the list we need comma + and => x,y, and Z else X and Y

Thank you for proper explanation, I have one question about 2 different modifires.
in case of "overcompensating and growing" it is clear, but I have faced one question where two ajectives modifing the moun should be saparated by "comma" "," because they modify noun equally. ex: separate, required course.
so I am little confused when we can use "comma" and when "and" between modifiers?

(no one is ideal, please correct if you see any mistakes or gaps in my explanation, it will be helpful for both of us, thank you)

It is pointless to try to study if it is not fun, then it becomes a chore. At that point, you will either hate your studies or became afraid of them.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: IIMA PGPX"20
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
GPA: 2.36
CAT Tests
Re: Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a strong regener  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2019, 01:16
In D and E, can't we say they is wrong as there is no antecedent of they. Starfish is singular and thus can't be the antecedent.

daagh wrote:
The tagging may include SV number agreement, and conjunction, which are also important things tested here. Starfish is treated as plural here as can be seen from the plural verb have in the non-underlined part

A one arm is lost it quickly replaces it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating and--- [color=#0000FF]it seems as if the plural starfish is pronouned by the first, singular it; in addition in an active voice sentence, the use of by is improper
[/color]
B one arm is lost it is quickly replaced, with the animal sometimes overcompensating and ------- seems ok with the SV problem avoided altogether. Here the it should logically refer to the arm. correct choice

C they lose one arm they quickly replace it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating, -----use of by is improper in an active voice setting. It should be with the animal rather than by the animal; overcompensating, growing is improper co-ordination. There should be an and in between

D they lose one arm they are quickly replaced, with the animal sometimes overcompensating,’---use of they means that the starfish themselves are replaced; over compensating should be followed by and

E they lose one arm it is quickly replaced, sometimes with the animal overcompensating, --- in a passive voice we need to use by rather than with ; in addition overcompensating should be followed by and
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2019, 17:11
(A) one arm is lost it quickly replaces it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating and
The pronoun it needs to refer to the same thing. It refers to both starfish and arm in this situation.

(B) one arm is lost it is quickly replaced, with the animal sometimes overcompensating and
Correct - there are no pronoun issues. Compensating is parallel with growing.

(C) they lose one arm they quickly replace it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating,
Sometimes by the animal is awkward

(D) they lose one arm they are quickly replaced, with the animal sometimes overcompensating,
Pronoun issues with they and they

(E) they lose one arm it is quickly replaced, sometimes with the animal overcompensating,
Adverbial modifier issues here with , growing - eliminate
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2019, 08:44
Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a strong regenerative ability, and if one arm is lost it quickly replaces it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating and growing an extra one or two.

(A) one arm is lost it quickly replaces it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating and
(B) one arm is lost it is quickly replaced, with the animal sometimes overcompensating and
(C) they lose one arm they quickly replace it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating,
(D) they lose one arm they are quickly replaced, with the animal sometimes overcompensating,
(E) they lose one arm it is quickly replaced, sometimes with the animal overcompensating

I have a question:
Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, 'have' a strong

Does the prepositional phrase have anything to do with the 'have' here... Starfish have a strong... May mean that strfish is being treated plural here

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a strong regener   [#permalink] 07 May 2019, 08:44

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 44 posts ] 

Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a strong regener

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics