Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [2]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 368
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Re: Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a strong regener [#permalink]
Kudos
Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a strong regenerative ability, and if one arm is lost it quickly replaces it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating and growing an extra one or two.

Attacking point:
1. if ACTIVE, then ACTIVE
OR if pASSIVE then pASSIVE

2. position of adverb frequency "sometimes"
if you find attacking this question on the error "with or by" is rather ambivalance, then attack adverb "sometimes".
*An adverb is a word or phrase that modifies a verb, adjective, another adverb, determiner, noun phrase, clause, preposition, or sentence

if you read the entire sentence, you can gauge the meaning of...

1. ..."sometimes by the animal" overcompensating and growing an extra one or two...
-> "sometimes by the animal" ... and "sometimes by something else" ...

2. ...with the animal "sometimes overcompensating" and "growing" an extra one or two...
sometimes is place next to the verb overcompensating and growing, clearly, it modifies the verb.

-adverbs of frequency-
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/Adver ... quency.htm

(A) one arm is lost it quickly replaces it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating and
one arm is lost (passive) ...it quickly replaces it(active) -OUT-
sometimes by the animal (so sometimes by the animal, sometimes by other animals) -OUT-

(B) one arm is lost it is quickly replaced, with the animal sometimes overcompensating and
one arm is lost (passive) ... it is replaced (passive) -OK-
the animal "sometimes overcompensating" and "sometimes growing an extra" -OK-
1. adverb frequency is place next to overcompensating, clearly modifies overcompensating
2. parallelism growing and overcompensating

(C) they lose one arm they quickly replace it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating,
they lose one arm (active) ... they replace it(active)-OK-
sometimes by the animal (so sometimes by the animal, sometimes by other animals)-OUT-

(D) they lose one arm they are quickly replaced, with the animal sometimes overcompensating,
they lose one arm (active)...they are quickly replaced(passive) -OUT-
with the animal sometimes overcompensating, (Leave this if you find it is "too hot" for you to handle, afterall, you have found major flaw of this question)
"...the animal sometimes overcompensating, growing an extra.."
(it seems growing is modifying the preceding verb"overcompensate" and the subject is the doer. However, overcompensating is not the correct tense. It should not be in simple present continous, rather, simple present tense "compensate".

when to use simple present tense:
To express habits, general truths, repeated actions or unchanging situations, emotions and wishes: ...
1. water boils at 100degree.
2. In the 1983, the sun rise from east to west
3. I eat a bowl of cereal every morning since the day I learn how to eat solid food (my habit)
4. Starfish grow extra arm. (Generally, this is true, not unless some mutations change the habit of starfish.)

To give instructions or directions: ...
To express fixed arrangements, present or future: ...
To express future time, after some conjunctions: after, when, before, as soon as, until:

when to use simple continous tense :
For actions happening now. When we want to talk about an action that is happening now or at this time (and is unfinished), we use the present continuous tense. We also use this tense when we want to make clear that the action is temporary. Sorry, she can't come to the phone right now; she is having a bath.
1. The starfish was attacked by a crab when it was growing an extra arm.
if tense is used wrongly, it is a MAJOR error. So OUT!

(E) they lose one arm it is quickly replaced, sometimes with the animal overcompensating,
they lose one arm(active), it is quickly replaced (passive, you can check with adding "BY" at the end of the sentence "it is quickly replaced "by"...)
-out-
sometimes with the animal overcompensating, growing
if tense is used wrongly, it is a MAJOR error. So OUT!

Ans: B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
Re: Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a strong regener [#permalink]
Hi E-GMAT

I have a doubt with regards to Choice B - the list marked by and in the modifier 'with the animal sometimes......two' - doesn't seem parallel. 'With the animal...' is a prepositional phrase whereas the phrase followed by and is a noun phrase ( growing an extra one or two). Is this a right ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
ankitprad wrote:
Hi E-GMAT

I have a doubt with regards to Choice B - the list marked by and in the modifier 'with the animal sometimes......two' - doesn't seem parallel. 'With the animal...' is a prepositional phrase whereas the phrase followed by and is a noun phrase ( growing an extra one or two). Is this a right ?
Hi ankitprad,

Those are participles. The structure is with + noun + participle (the noun is the animal).

... with the animal sometimes overcompensating and growing an extra one or two.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
In first part of the sentence we have an active voice, stating starfish have an ability , and by choosing option b as the answer the second part becomes passive

This is confusing me, can someone pleaee help

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
shauryahanda wrote:
In first part of the sentence we have an active voice, stating starfish have an ability , and by choosing option b as the answer the second part becomes passive

This is confusing me, can someone pleaee help

Posted from my mobile device

Here we have two complete thoughts (independent clauses) connected by a ", and". There is no problem with connecting an active independent clause and a passive independent clause with a comma+conjunction. For example:

"Deer are common in New Jersey, and they are often hunted during the fall and winter." - The first part is active, and the second part is passive.

Choice (B) does something similar, and this is not a problem at all!

For more on this question, check out this post.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 195
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
Hi GMATGuruNY

While browsing through other forums, I encountered your explanation: You said that

Generally, COMMA + VERBing serves to modify the preceding clause -- more specifically, the SUBJECT and VERB of the preceding clause.
C and E: the animal overcompensating, growing an extra one or two.
Here, overcompensating is an ADJECTIVE serving to modify animal.
What KIND Of animal?
The animal OVERCOMPENSATING.
As a result, the animal overcompensating is not a clause but a PHRASE.
The COMMA + VERBing modifier in red cannot serve to modify a phrase.

Could you please check my understanding and reasoning below?

"comma + V_ing" generally modifies the nearest action and the agent of the action. Here is my example

1) I can encounter a group of monkeys sleeping on the branches, hanging their legs and arms like socks on a clothesline

here, "sleeping" is an adjective and also kind of action that modifies monkeys, but for me, "hanging" seems to correctly modify "sleeping" and "monkeys"

If my reasoning is correct, why cannot "GROWING" modify "OVERCOMPENSATING" and its agent "ANIMAL"?

Thank you very much beforehand!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Ilhomjon98 wrote:
"comma + V_ing" generally modifies the nearest action and the agent of the action. Here is my example

1) I can encounter a group of monkeys sleeping on the branches, hanging their legs and arms like socks on a clothesline

here, "sleeping" is an adjective and also kind of action that modifies monkeys, but for me, "hanging" seems to correctly modify "sleeping" and "monkeys"

It is my practice to limit my comments to actual SCs.
If you can cite an OA from GMAC that employs the structure in red, I will be happy to comment.

Quote:
why cannot "GROWING" modify "OVERCOMPENSATING" and its agent "ANIMAL"?

Thank you very much beforehand!

E: they lose one arm it is quickly replaced, with the animal overcompensating, growing an extra one or two
Here, the portion in red is a NONESSENTIAL MODIFIER.
Generally, COMMA + VERBing does not serve to modify a nonessential modifier.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Schools: Bocconi (WA)
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.42
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
So there’s an interesting thing in this question: “starfish” could, in theory, be either singular or plural. (Much like the word “media” or “data” or “deer” or diabetes.) The GMAT has a very consistent habit in these cases: the sentence will always give you some other indication of whether the word is singular or plural.

And in this case? In the non-underlined portion, we have the phrase “Starfish… have a strong regenerative capacity…” So “starfish” is definitely plural, at least in the beginning of the sentence. (And yes, this explanation has been edited to correct my original error. File under: even ninjas write dumb things in the wee hours of the morning.)

Quote:
(A) one arm is lost it quickly replaces it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating and

Hopefully, the word “it” leaps off the page at you immediately – both of them. Logically, we know that the first “it” needs to refer back to “starfish”, and the second “it” refers back to “arm.” But in its current form, it’s awfully confusing: “it” appears twice in close succession, but the two pronouns refer back to different things? That’s not cool.

And more importantly, “it” can’t refer back to “starfish” anyway, since the beginning of the sentence indicates that “starfish” is plural.

Plus, the meaning of the last part of the underlined portion is funky: the phrase “by the animal overcompensating” suggests that the overcompensation is how the starfish replaces its arm. And that doesn’t actually make sense.

Either way, we can do better than (A).

Quote:
(B) one arm is lost it is quickly replaced, with the animal sometimes overcompensating and

OK, this “it” looks much better. The word “arm” is the closest potential referent to “it”, so we’re OK here: “… if one arm is lost [the arm] is quickly replaced…” Cool.

I don’t love the use of “with” here, but I can’t see why it’s wrong, exactly. And the meaning makes sense: sometimes, the animal overcompensates and grows an extra arm. That’s kind of creepy from a biological standpoint, but perfectly OK grammatically. “Overcompensating” and “growing” are two parallel actions that are sometimes taken by the animal – and I see no reason why the two actions can’t be parallel.

Let’s keep (B).

Quote:
(C) they lose one arm they quickly replace it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating,

The pronouns aren’t horrible here: “it” clearly refers to the arm and “they” presumably refers to starfish. But I think you could make a case that there MIGHT be a pronoun ambiguity issue with “they”, since “arms” is actually the singular noun that’s closest to the pronoun “they.” This isn’t an automatic elimination, since pronoun ambiguity isn’t an absolute rule on the GMAT, but it’s something you should always notice. (More on pronoun ambiguity in this YouTube video.)

But here’s the really important part: the use of “by the animal overcompensating” still doesn’t make any sense (see answer choice A above). The starfish doesn’t replace the arm by overcompensating; it just happens to overcompensate sometimes and grow an extra arm.

Because of the meaning issue, (C) can be eliminated.

Quote:
(D) they lose one arm they are quickly replaced, with the animal sometimes overcompensating,

Again, we could argue that the first “they” isn’t automatically wrong, even though it’s potentially ambiguous – “they” could again refer to “arms” or “starfish.” But the second “they” is absolute nonsense, since “arm” is a singular noun in this particular chunk of the sentence. So (D) is gone, too.

Quote:
(E) they lose one arm it is quickly replaced, sometimes with the animal overcompensating,

This is awf
ully tempting, and I don’t think that there are any DEFINITE reasons to prefer (E) over (B). But there are a bunch of things that make (B) very, very slightly better.
Let’s line this one up with (B) to make it easier to compare them:

So we have three meaningful differences here, and none of them are smoking guns, but all of them seem to point in the same direction.

In that first chunk of the sentence, the big difference is that (E) uses the pronoun “they”, which is potentially ambiguous, since it could refer back to “starfish” or “arms” – and since “arms” is the most recent plural, you could argue that “they” is a legit problem here. Honestly, I’m not completely convinced by this – there are plenty of official SC questions with similar ambiguities in the correct answers. But in this case, the pronoun issue gives me a very slight preference for (B).

Second, we have some funny business with the placement of the word “sometimes.” The thing that “sometimes” happens is “overcompensating”, so it makes sense to have “sometimes” right next to that word. Is it totally wrong to say “sometimes with the animal overcompensating”? Nope. But again, I’d have a very slight preference for (B) based on the placement of “sometimes.”

And the third thing? In (B), “overcompensating” and “growing” are two parallel actions. In other words, the animal sometimes does two things: it overcompensates and grows an extra arm or two. That makes enough sense. In (E), “growing” has been turned into a modifier (“sometimes with the animal overcompensating, growing an extra arm or two”), and I’m not sure that it’s wrong, but it seems a little bit odd to me: when do you ever see an "-ing" participle modifying another "-ing" participle? Meaning-wise, I suppose you could argue that “growing” tells us extra information about when happens when the animal is “overcompensating”, but I think it makes more sense to keep the two actions (“growing” and “overcompensating”) parallel.

Honestly, I don’t think that any of these three issues are crystal-clear, slam-dunk reasons to eliminate (E). If I were seeing this question on an actual exam for the very first time, I’d say a quick prayer to the GMAT gods before picking (B) and moving on -- but at least I'd be comforted by the notion that all three of those little issues point in half-assed unison toward (B).

Hello GMATNinja

With regard to the confusion between choice B and E, I have a small query. I ended up choosing E for the following reasons:
1) they is not ambiguous as 'arms' is in the modifier section.
2) I saw overcompensating as a gerund and the ',' as 'by'.

Am I completely off the mark in my conceptual understanding here?

Of course, I see how B is a great choice- and a grammatically correct choice- as well, but I was looking for better clarity in my understanding of B vs E here.

Thanks in advance
NikhilST
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Hi experts, GMATNinja MartyTargetTestPrep AjiteshArun egmat

I have a quick question on an explanation provided by an external source (and written above). Within my analysis for answer choice E, I have the following:

(2) in an if X (then) Y structure, if X and Y are clauses, the 2nd subject pronoun in Y should refer to the subject in X (e.g., ”if they (starfish) lose one arm, [then] it (one arm) is quickly replaced” – the “it” should refer back to starfish in some way, not the arm)

Is this always the case? I feel as though I came across an official problem in which this was NOT the case, but I could just be going crazy haha
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
samgyupsal wrote:
Is this always the case? I feel as though I came across an official problem in which this was NOT the case, but I could just be going crazy haha

Hi samgyupsal,

Not as far as I know, so I think you're right to be somewhat circumspect. I'm sure we can come up with sentences in which ambiguity becomes a real problem in this kind of structure, but I wouldn't say that it is always the case.

It'd be great to see more opinions on this though.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
samgyupsal wrote:
Hi experts, GMATNinja MartyTargetTestPrep AjiteshArun egmat

I have a quick question on an explanation provided by an external source (and written above). Within my analysis for answer choice E, I have the following:

(2) in an if X (then) Y structure, if X and Y are clauses, the 2nd subject pronoun in Y should refer to the subject in X (e.g., ”if they (starfish) lose one arm, [then] it (one arm) is quickly replaced” – the “it” should refer back to starfish in some way, not the arm)

That's just a made up rule. There is no such rule.

Think about it? We can come up with plenty of examples that make complete sense that don't follow that "rule."

If you run on the surface of the moon, then it will be marked with your footprints for a long time.

Man, people come up with the nuttiest stuff.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Quote:
Hello GMATNinja

With regard to the confusion between choice B and E, I have a small query. I ended up choosing E for the following reasons:
1) they is not ambiguous as 'arms' is in the modifier section.
2) I saw overcompensating as a gerund and the ',' as 'by'.

Am I completely off the mark in my conceptual understanding here?

Of course, I see how B is a great choice- and a grammatically correct choice- as well, but I was looking for better clarity in my understanding of B vs E here.

Thanks in advance
NikhilST

The biggest problem with (E) is the logic. The phrase, "if they [the starfish] lose one arm, it is quickly replaced," makes it sound as though multiple starfish (they) are lugging around a single arm, which they somehow lose and then replace.

I can easily imagine a bunch of kids losing a ball and then finding a replacement. But a bunch of starfish losing an arm and replacing it? Tricky situation. Which starfish would get the arm? Would they pass it back and forth like those sisters in Greek Mythology who share an eye?

Because the meaning is incoherent, we can kill (E). (B) avoids the issue altogether by removing the "they."

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja

In your post on answer C
The pronouns aren’t horrible here: “it” clearly refers to the arm and “they” presumably refers to starfish. But I think you could make a case that there MIGHT be a pronoun ambiguity issue with “they”, since “arms” is actually the singular noun that’s closest to the pronoun “they.” This isn’t an automatic elimination, since pronoun ambiguity isn’t an absolute rule on the GMAT, but it’s something you should always notice. (More on pronoun ambiguity in this YouTube video.)

The singular noun is a typo, is it not. are you referring to the arms* that are not in the underlined part of the sentence ( ...five to eight arms". Just as a general concept, is the pronoun always modifying an ante"cedent, as in the modified noun always come before the pronoun in a sentence structure order?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
M838TE wrote:
GMATNinja

In your post on answer C

The singular noun is a typo, is it not. are you referring to the arms* that are not in the underlined part of the sentence ( ...five to eight arms". Just as a general concept, is the pronoun always modifying an ante"cedent, as in the modified noun always come before the pronoun in a sentence structure order?

Yes, you're right about the typo -- it should be "the plural noun that's closest..." Thank you for catching that! I edited the original post to correct the error.

And while pronouns very often come after the nouns they refer to, this is by no means a rule. For example:

"Although he was nervous about the recital at Carnegie Hall, Tim was confident that all the Rock Band he'd played in 2007 would more than compensate for his failure to practice in the interim."

Here, "he" comes before the referent "Tim," and that's okay -- there's no one else that "he" could possibly refer to. So, while the term "antecedent" certainly creates the impression that we should be looking for the referent before the pronoun, this doesn't have to be the case, and we shouldn't automatically treat it as an error if pronoun and antecedent happen to appear in a different order, as long as the sentence is still clear and logical.

I hope that clears things up!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Hello Expert

In the stated question, can you please explain the role of 'with' in option B? I eliminated the option, based on the theory that 'with' refers to 'replaced' and hence the structure would follow, 'Starfish replace the arm with the animal', which didn't make sense.

Can you please explain the role of 'with' and what does it refer to?
Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
macjas wrote:
Starfish, with anywhere from five to eight arms, have a strong regenerative ability, and if one arm is lost it quickly replaces it, sometimes by the animal overcompensating and growing an extra one or two.

JusTLucK04 wrote:
Can you please give your expert opinion on B vs E..
Thank You

Dear JusTLucK04,
I am happy to respond to your p.m.

I realize this is an official question, but I would call this problem one of GMAC's clunkers. It has a clear answer, but it falls short of the standards that the GMAT normally has on SC. In particular, the "with" + [noun] + [participial phrase] structure, as a substitute for a clause, is often something GMAC has considered wrong in other, better written questions, but here it is simply unavoidable. To umeshpatil, I would say: in the active voice, neither "with" nor "by" is ideal; for a new action, ideally we should have a whole new clause.

First of all, the first part is more elegant in (B):
(B) one arm is lost it is quickly replaced = concise and elegant
(E) they lose one arm it is quickly replaced = awkward
The former focuses exclusively on one subject, "one arm;" it has rhetorical focus. The latter jumps back and forth between two subjects --- the "starfish" and the "one arm." If (E) were entirely active, "if they lose one arm, they replace it," then there would be a consistent subject and consistent active voice. As it stands, (E) juxtaposes two subjects and also juxtaposes active vs. passive voice, all in a tiny clause. It's very awkward.

One crucial split in this sentence is the placement of the word "sometimes" --- exactly what should this word modify? We are already talking about the event in which the starfish loses an arm. Obviously, if the arm is replace, the animal is always the one who replaces it. The "sometimes" refers to the events in which multiple arms replace a single arm --- that sometimes happens. The placement in (E),
(E) ... sometimes with the animal overcompensating ...
suggests that sometimes the animal's action replaces the arm, and sometimes is something other than the animal replacing the arm. That's nonsensical. By contrast, (B) has:
(B) ... with the animal sometimes overcompensating and ...
Yes. It's the overcompensating that happens only sometimes, but it is always the action of the animal.

Finally, for the split at the end: this is one respect in which (B) is not ideal. I think it is awkward to put those two participles in parallel, "overcompensating and growing ..." Really, those are not two separate actions. Instead, the latter is an explanation of the former: what do we mean that starfish "overcompensates"? We mean that the starfish sometimes grows extra arms. It is an explanation of the same action, not a new action. Therefore, I think putting the two participles in parallel is less than ideal. It would be much better to give them the relationship that (E) has: "overcompensating, [that is to say] growing ..."

So (B) is the best answer, but it is not ideal. In fact, the entire question is not ideal, and it's no surprise that the GMAT got rid of it in its current material.

Let me know if anyone has any further questions.
Mike :-)

Dear Mike, is there a reason why the subordinate IF clause does not have a comma? If... , then... I find this, perplexing.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
"and " can be used to show the same thing

she is a good gmat winner and a havard student.

in choice B, the case is the same. "overcompensating and growing extra" are the same thing. correct use of "and".

the serious problem with choice E is there is no "and" before "growing". "comma+growing" show a second event which is context of the main action, "overcompensating" . this is wrong. the two actions are the same action but not two actions.

second error in choice E is "they lose ". this is hard to analyse. we want to focus on the arm not "they", the starfish. adding "they" make the sentence not in the focus.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts