Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9241 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 388 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
Schools: HEC CBS '23 EDHEC
GPA: 2.95
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: Starting GMAT Prep with First Practice Test at 680 [#permalink]
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi tanimis,

Many GMATers have busy jobs and lives in addition to their studies - so you're not alone. A 680 is a fantastic initial CAT Score. Just to clarify, have you ever done ANY studying for the GMAT before (worked on practice questions, taken a practice CAT/mock test, etc.)? Assuming that this was the first time you've ever taken a practice CAT - and that you did not do anything unrealistic when you took it (re: pause the Test, 'Google' answers to questions, etc.), then you are likely a strong overall critical-thinker - which is great.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) What - if any - GMAT study materials do you currently have access to?
2) What is your overall goal score?
3) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi, I did not google or did anything. This is my first exposure to GMAT. But, I have been studying GRE for the last two months. It somewhat helped in Quant and RC problems. I did not google anything but I did not finish the test in one sitting. I completed quant in one sitting and an hour later completed verbal and IR in another. Had some personal work in between. No pause except that. I also did not complete AWA. I believe my good quant score is due to my experience of teaching high school maths when I was in undergrad.

1) I currently have access to none. But will collect official guide, powerscore cr and some manhattan guides from friend tomorrow.
2) This is something I am unsure of since I need my profile to be evaluated first to determine which should be my target schools.
3) I would love M7 but coming from a poor family of a third world country (Bangladesh), I don't think I have a chance there because I have had limited opportunities to add great stuff to my resume. I utilized whatever oppotunities I had access to, to the fullest though. So, need to evaluate my reume first to see where I stand.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi tanimis,

When you take the Official GMAT, you will have to do so under specific, "strict" conditions - meaning that you cannot take an hour-long break between sections. Your prior studies for the GRE likely did help you a great deal with certain aspects of the GMAT - and your overall Quant and Verbal knowledge is likely quite strong - but your performance in the Verbal section is likely a bit 'inflated' because you had that break before taking it. As such, we cannot assume that this 680 is an accurate assessment of how you might score if you took the GMAT tomorrow.

The process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT/mock requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically shouldn't take more than 1 CAT per week - and your last CAT should be taken about 1 week before Test Day. As such, you should not take another CAT too soon. I suggest that you study as you see fit for the next 1-2 weeks, then take a NEW CAT. Make sure to take it in a realistic fashion that matches-up with what you will face when you take the Official GMAT (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, if you will be at a Test Facility, then wear a face mask, etc.). Once you have that Score, you should post back here and we can discuss the results and how you might best proceed with your studies.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi tanimis,

When you take the Official GMAT, you will have to do so under specific, "strict" conditions - meaning that you cannot take an hour-long break between sections. Your prior studies for the GRE likely did help you a great deal with certain aspects of the GMAT - and your overall Quant and Verbal knowledge is likely quite strong - but your performance in the Verbal section is likely a bit 'inflated' because you had that break before taking it. As such, we cannot assume that this 680 is an accurate assessment of how you might score if you took the GMAT tomorrow.

The process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT/mock requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically shouldn't take more than 1 CAT per week - and your last CAT should be taken about 1 week before Test Day. As such, you should not take another CAT too soon. I suggest that you study as you see fit for the next 1-2 weeks, then take a NEW CAT. Make sure to take it in a realistic fashion that matches-up with what you will face when you take the Official GMAT (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, if you will be at a Test Facility, then wear a face mask, etc.). Once you have that Score, you should post back here and we can discuss the results and how you might best proceed with your studies.

Rich

Hi,

I have completed practice exam 2 in on sitting in a realistic fashion as you described, The score is 670 (Q48, V35, IR6). I studied some critical reasoning but seems like not much has changed from the last week.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Might be helpful to know which parts of Verbal you are finding the most slippery for specific advice.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi tanimis,

This recent CAT result is a good sign - and it shows that your overall knowledge and Test-taking skills are still strong when taking the Exam under more-realistic testing conditions.

If you are interested in an evaluation of your profile, then you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert. Those Experts should be able to answer your Admissions questions and help define the specific areas of your profile that could use some improvement. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

The process of applying to (and ultimately attending) Business School will require a big investment of time, money and energy on your part, so you really should make sure that the Programs that you apply to match your career goals/needs. There are a variety of factors that go into selecting the Schools that you'll apply to. Instead of just applying to Programs in which you might have a good chance to 'get in', here are some other things to think about:

1) Is there a particular company that you want to work for or industry that you want to work in? Certain degrees are more appropriate than others if you have a specific career goal.
2) What do you want your MBA to do for you?
3) Do you want to go to School full-time or part-time?
4) Are you willing to relocate? Are you comfortable with working through a program that is primarily online?
5) Are you going to be applying for scholarships?
Etc.

It's okay if you don't have answers to any of these questions just yet, but you really should try to define all of the important variables in terms of your goals, so that you can tailor your entire approach to getting into the best School that matches what you're looking for. Once you have that list, you will also have a much better idea of the type of GMAT Score that you would 'need' to apply.

Rich
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16593 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello tanimatt,

Welcome to the GMAT Club. It is one of the great platforms to get information about the GMAT official test, Study plan, Section wise instructions, etc.

Your current GMAT mock score is decent!

You can schedule a free counseling session for 20 mins with one of our experts: https://calendly.com/mathrevolution/1-on-1-session for detailed advice on your study plans.

We appreciate your time and patience in reading this reply.

Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us at info@mathrevolution.com

Success is within your reach.
Good luck!

Math Revolution Team
GMAT Club Bot