It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 15:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Starting the prep!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Starting the prep! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2015, 04:53
Planning on starting the preparation for GMAT. I know this is the most common question. But could anyone suggest some preparation books to aim for a 700+ score?
The Official guide for GMAT 2015 is the only book that I know about right now.

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3410 [0], given: 172

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Starting the prep! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2015, 00:24
Hi nik1489,

There are a variety of ways that you can prepare for the GMAT. While its tempting to try a "book-heavy" approach, most Test Takers get 'stuck' at a particular scoring level when working in this way, so you might consider enrolling in a Course of some kind (either Guided Self-Study or Instructor-Led).

Since you've defined your score goal, I'd like to know some of the other details in your plan:

1) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
2) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

To help you establish your expectations for this process, you should know that most Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) studying for the GMAT; during that time, it's common to spend 10-15 hours per week (or more) on the process. Your individual strengths and weaknesses will dictate how much extra work you might have to do to hit your goals.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2015, 08:45
Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC ,

First of all thank you for your quick and detailed reply. Much appreciated. :)
Frankly speaking I haven't started my full fledged preparation yet (who am I kidding , I haven't started at all :p) , gathering the info.regarding what to buy and what not to at present. If everything goes well , by Feb. 1st week I should be able to kick off the prep.
That being said , I am planning to give GMAT somewhere around july/august (please correct me if am wrong about the dates). And I would be trying for a 2016 admission. Spring / fall , either would be fine with me depending on the intakes.

Please suggest a few important dates if possible , like what would be apt time to give GMAT(for a 2016 admission aspirant) with having enough time in hand to apply to business schools and panning out a proper plan.

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2015, 12:25
Hi nik1489,

Once you have an idea of which Schools you're going to apply to, you can do a bit of research (visit the School's websites) and find out when the application deadlines are for each application Round. With that information, you can reverse-engineer your schedule so that you can give yourself enough time to work on your applications and enough time to study for (and take) the GMAT. You might even want to give yourself the necessary "buffer" to take the GMAT more than once.

It's important to establish a baseline score early on in the process, so you can get a sense of your strengths and weaknesses and any other potential problems that you'll need to work on (pacing, endurance, etc.). You can download 2 free practice CAT tests (and some additional practice materials) from www.mba.com. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take the entire CAT in one sitting. You'll likely find it challenging, but that's okay. If you want to do a little bit of studying before you take that CAT, then that's fine, but don't overdo it. All of that work will come later. Once you have those scores, you should post back here.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Re: Starting the prep!   [#permalink] 23 Jan 2015, 12:25

Starting the prep!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap