Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:12 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 540 [87]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618585 [48]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618585 [6]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: Speed and Race Problem [#permalink]
Kudos
which is not possible as sum of two must be more than or equal the twice the least time: 2*2.5=5. So Brian could not have won the race. - I still don't get this line , please explain
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Stephanie, Regine, and Brian ran a 20 mile race. Stephanie [#permalink]
Kudos
Ans is D
since s=d/t or t=d/s so lower the speed more the time
since combined time of Stephanie and Regine exceeds that of Brian so Brian was the slowest.
Thus someone between Stephanie and Regine might have won the race
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Stephanie, Regine, and Brian ran a 20 mile race. Stephanie [#permalink]
Kudos
We don’t know who has won the race and who has come last. All we know is the fastest time is 2.5 hrs and the fastest speed is 8mi/hr.
Let’s us assume that Brain won the race. He took 2.5 hrs to complete the race. In this case
S + R = 4.5
Now the minimum possible time S and R could have taken would be 2.25 hrs to complete the race, since if they took any time less than 2.25 hrs (which is already less than 2.5hrs), then it would mean that Brian wasn’t the first to win the race.

Note that if S (or R) took more than 2.5 hrs, it means R (or S) took less than 2.5 hrs, and hence Brian wouldn’t be winner in that case.
Now even if they took 2.25 hrs, still the case is not possible, because Brian needs to take the lowest time in order to be winner. So we come to conclusion that Brian cannot be a winner in any case.

Let’s assume that Stephanie won the race in record time of 2.5 hrs. In that case
B = R + 0.5
Note that even if R took the minimum possible time of (2.6 hrs), then Brian would be 3.1 hrs and Stephanie would be 2.5 hrs. This case is very much possible. So S came first, then R and B came last.
The same is true with
B = S + 0.5
R came first, S and then B.
So we see that B is a loser in any case, however R or S have equal chances to win.
So (D) is the answer.

Thanks
Prashant
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1821 [12]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
Re: Speed and Race Problem [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A person with a speed of 8 miles per hour will finish the 20 mile race in:
\(t=20/8=5/2=2.5hrs\)

There is no person faster than that so the time of S, R and B must be at least 2.5 hours.

Let S, R and B be the time it took each person to finish the race.
S + R = B + 2

So the minimum possible value for S+R = 2.5 + 2.5 = 5 hrs
Therefore, the minimum possible value for B = 5-2 = 3 hrs.

Let us test:
B=3, S=2.5,R=2.5 ==> S and R could win.
B=4, S=3,R=3 ==> B still could not win. Even if we force either S or R to exceed B, the balance will still make B lose.

Answer: I and II only
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Can someone clarify this.

1. Stephanie, Regine, and Brian ran a 20 mile race - [D = 20miles]
2. Stephanie and Regine's combined times exceeded Brian's time by exactly 2 hours - [S + R = B + 2]
3. nobody ran faster than 8 miles per hour - [Max Speed = 20/8 = 2.5m/h]

What if
A. S = 2, R = 1.8 then B = 1.8 so S would win the race.
B. S = 1.8, R = 2 then B = 1.8 so B would win the race.
C. S = 2.1, R = 2.1 then B = 2.2 so B would win the race.

Why not option E? Where am i going wrong?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618585 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
maddyboiler wrote:
Can someone clarify this.

1. Stephanie, Regine, and Brian ran a 20 mile race - [D = 20miles]
2. Stephanie and Regine's combined times exceeded Brian's time by exactly 2 hours - [S + R = B + 2]
3. nobody ran faster than 8 miles per hour - [Max Speed = 20/8 = 2.5m/h]

What if
A. S = 2, R = 1.8 then B = 1.8 so S would win the race.
B. S = 1.8, R = 2 then B = 1.8 so B would win the race.
C. S = 2.1, R = 2.1 then B = 2.2 so B would win the race.

Why not option E? Where am i going wrong?

We are told that nobody ran faster than 8 miles per hour, thus the maximum speed is 8 miles per hour not 2.5 miles per hour. Also, it would mean that minimum time one could complete the race is 20/8=2.5 hours, thus your examples are not valid.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 416 [3]
Given Kudos: 282
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
I did it this way-

Let ts=time of steph
tr=time of reg
tb=time of brian

ts+tr=tb+2

From the problem its clear that Brian takes more time.
Since brian takes more time he could not have won the race. (speed and time are inverse proportional)
We have no info about the other 2.So, anyone could have won the race.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: General Management, Finance
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
arps wrote:
Stephanie, Regine, and Brian ran a 20 mile race. Stephanie and Regine's combined times exceeded Brian's time by exactly 2 hours. If nobody ran faster than 8 miles per hour, who could have won the race?

I. Stephanie
II. Regine
III. Brian

A. I only
B. II only
C. III
D. only I or II only
E. I, II, or III

Given that S + R = B + 2, where S, R, and B are the times in which Stephanie, Regine, and Brian completed the race.

The minimum time to complete the race is 20/8 = 2.5 hours. Let's consider if Brian could have won: If he ran at the fastest rate, he would finish in 2.5 hours, making S + R = B + 2 = 2.5 + 2 = 4.5 hours. However, this is impossible since the sum of two times (S and R) must be at least twice the minimum time: 2*2.5 = 5. Therefore, Brian couldn't have won.

There's no reason to differentiate between Stephanie and Regine. If one could win, so could the other. Hence, both could have won the race.

Answer: D.

To elaborate more: The least time one could complete the race is 20/8 = 2.5 hours, hence \(S+R≥5\). Let's see if Brian could have won the race: The best chance for him to win would be if he ran at the fastest rate, so he would complete the race in 2.5 hours. In this case, the combined time needed for Stephanie and Regine would be S + R = B + 2 = 2.5 + 2 = 4.5 hours. However, we know that \(S+R≥5\). Therefore, even if Brian ran at his fastest rate to win the race, the equation S + R = B + 2 cannot hold true. Hence, Brian could not have won the race.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunuel

Why so S+R>=5 ?????

Rgds
Prasannajeet
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618585 [2]
Send PM
Kudos