GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 29 May 2020, 06:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Stern ($$$) vs. Anderson ($$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which Program Should I choose?

• 8% [2]
  • 91% [22]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Stern ($$$) vs. Anderson ($$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2019, 11:18
Hello,

I am struggling so hard with this decision that I decided to reach out to the internet for advice. I have been admitted to NYU Stern with a Full Ride and also received an $80K fellowship from Anderson and unsure where to accept. Currently, I live in Chicago where I have 5.5 years experience in public accounting but hoping to switch to a more corporate finance/strategic role. My goal after an MBA is to work in the entertainment/media technology industry (i.e. Spotify, HBO, Hulu, etc.) -- both of which are great schools for this industry (about half of companies in NYC and half in LA...from what I can tell). I got the sense at Anderson that many more people come FROM an entertainment background (being in LA) and students who came from entertainment felt that those who are new to the industry are outsiders. As someone who is entering this industry new, plus not as interested in the production side, -- New York may create less barriers for me (as it is less of an "exclusive club" out there). I could be wrong, but this is the sense I got in LA. However, there is no denying LA is the center of entertainment and would continue to have many many options for me to pursue.

Additionally, from what I can tell, the programs are similarly ranked. While NYU is giving me more money -- the differential between $0 out of pocket and $50K out of pocket is not enough to sway my decision, although it is a bonus point for Stern.

I have always had a dream of living in NYC but recently found myself wanting to ultimately settle on the out west in the long-term. I have personal reasons for liking both cities -- but my heart has always loved NYC more than LA. I many things UCLA has to offer (Parker, the campus feel, a more "technology" focused group of folks, the WEATHER, the cheaper housing) but, I can't seem to get past the awesome idea of living in New York. I am worried, however, that Stern will be much more high -finance type (hedge funds, I-banking, etc.) which is not as close to the field I would like to enter. While Stern has a good niche for entertainment, entertainment is certainly is not its bread and butter.

Essentially, I have spent the last 4 days struggling with this decision. I have visited both campuses and met with many current students and like both of them (although, as we all know, it comes down to who you meet). Do you have any other factors I should be thinking of or have any thoughts of where I should go?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Stern ($$$) vs. Anderson ($$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2019, 11:40
Congratulations on your admits!

It’s fantastic that you have a pretty good idea where you want to be after the MBA. That will help with recruiting a lot!!! Having researched the companies and recruiting patterns, can allow you to speak to current students and get an idea about recruiting opportunities on campus.

I know that entertainment industry in LA is big but highly competitive which means a lot of the internships under pay and you’re expected to network like crazy for the best jobs. It is not uncommon to have unpaid internships to for the best of the positions.

My understanding is that a lot of the business side is still in New York and pretty much all of the production is in LA. I have no clue how that works but somehow it does :-) all the Warner media folks are on east coast. I think even Amazon video is based in New York (you may know better).

In general, I Have a feeling with recruiting for these kinds of positions is fairly niche and you won’t find a large focus at any MBA program for entertainment.... I feel New York would be a better location for the job you would be looking for. At the same time we’re kind of reading tea leaves here with a lot of variables.

I would also be inclined to take stern on their full tuition scholarship especially if you have to take a lower paid internship for some reason

PS. New York and LA have some similarities but ultimately very different. You’ll spend a lot of time in the car in LA and there’s hardly walking options for anything. Things tend to be spread out and it’s hard to get together without driving for 45 minutes. That’s my take away from living in LA for eight years.I enjoyed it and still have a number of friends but as we got families people moved away. Can’t beat the weather and laid back culture Though if you are always on time and hate when people are late, it will be an adjustment. Not sure if this is a consideration so ignore of irrelevant :)

Congrats!!!

Posted from my mobile device
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Stern ($$$) vs. Anderson ($$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2019, 12:03
I voted on Anderson and it is because I am biased towards LA, I know you wanna go in Hollywood from the post term goal, I think LA is wayyyyyy better at that than NYC, besides you will need a good network that LA can provide both in terms of students and also in terms of industry.

If $50k is not a big issue for you, then LA is definitely and unequivocally my choice. However, a free ride in NYC, whoof.... you might have demonstrated some talent bro. You will also need money on events, transportation, etc, I'm sure you got that all covered. Good luck and hopefully see you in LA
Free Admissions and GMAT consulting "GMAT Club special"
No spams No bullshit; Purely FACT BASED SOCIAL SERVICE
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2019, 12:21
PS. Anderson has improved their rank and standing Over the last few years. In the past someone would’ve only considered Anderson when they would’ve received 50% more scholarship versus Stern. Times change I guess but you can see from past years - that was the most common question comparison.

Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2019, 12:33
bb wrote:
PS. Anderson has improved their rank and standing Over the last few years. In the past someone would’ve only considered Anderson when they would’ve received 50% more scholarship versus Stern. Times change I guess but you can see from past years - that was the most common question comparison.

TRYING TO MAKE ME JEALOUS ;p

It is actually just me, I would definitely still consider anderson for a 50% scholarship but UCLA is my one true love, if the finances were in my hands and of course the admission, there is no way I would choose any school over UCLA
Free Admissions and GMAT consulting "GMAT Club special"
No spams No bullshit; Purely FACT BASED SOCIAL SERVICE
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2019, 17:16
I also was considering Stern and Anderson for media and entertainment! I was accepted to Stern during Round 1 and decided not to apply to Anderson after all. However, I have to say that having attended Anderson's diversity conference, Anderson is by far and away the best school for media/entertainment. Yes, there's a bunch of students who are in entertainment and trying to pivot out of it, but that just means you have experienced people to talk to! Even at Anderson, it's an incredibly difficult field to break into.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2019, 10:47
Stern’s employment report definitely qualifies it over Anderson, even without the $.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Stern ($$$) vs. Anderson ($$)   [#permalink] 17 Dec 2019, 10:47

Stern ($$$) vs. Anderson ($$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate