GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 28 May 2020, 00:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Stern $$$ vs Sloan

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Stern $$$ vs Sloan  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2016, 01:52
Hi Guys,

I have been lurking on this forum for a while and thought that some advice would be really useful. I am in a great situation in choosing between two amazing programs. I have got into Stern with a full ride and a name faculty scholarship and MIT with no dollars. Post-MBA I am looking to move into Investment management/ Banking.

I think NYC advantage and dollars are really tempting but MIT brand is attractive as well. I would like to work for a while in US and then move to Asia to start something on my own later. I visited both the schools and I am not picky about the fit as long as I am able to achieve my career goals.

Any suggestions/ comments would be very useful.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.35
WE: Engineering (Consumer Products)
Re: Stern $$$ vs Sloan  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2016, 05:00
For your situation, I would absolutely go to Stern as you'll have easy/convenient access to bank recruiting. With the scholarship money you will actually be able to enjoy what NYC has to offer.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2016, 20:01
I agree. I would leverage the scholarship and let that be the determining factor.

Are you from the US? I am not sure about the name awareness outside of the US of either school but I would guess MIT is better (not Sloan though). But even taking that into account I doubt that justifies leaving the money on the table.

Congratulations on your hard work and a great result!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk App

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2016, 20:06
Thanks for the responses.

I am an Indian candidate. I agree MIT is a bigger brand not Sloan. I am trying to figure out Is it150 K better?
What do you think in terms of recruiting for IM? Stern compared to Sloan? I spoke to people from both schools and it seems that it all depends on networking.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2016, 20:09
mohnishzaveri wrote:

I am an Indian candidate. I agree MIT is a bigger brand not Sloan. I am trying to figure out Is it150 K better?
What do you think in terms of recruiting for IM? Stern compared to Sloan? I spoke to people from both schools and it seems that it all depends on networking.

Mohnish-congrats on the admit-would you mind sharing your profile?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2016, 20:30
IIT grad, 4 years work ex in financial services, 3 years in Singapore, GMAT 760

Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2016, 20:34
mohnishzaveri wrote:

IM = Investment Management? I guess anything that starts with "I" will be highly competitive and neither school will guarantee anything to you (or anyone else per se), so I would bet on the more certain things such as the scholarship money.

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2016, 21:45
being debt free puts you miles ahead of your peers!

go with the full ride NYU
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 21:52
After the latest US news rankings, I am getting even more skeptical.. :(
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 21:55
The rankings punishing Stern is a joke. A very bad one but still a joke. I would not use that as a guiding principle for anything.

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 22:19
Trying not to get biased by this blip...I hope it is one-off and the rankings improve next year...
Founder
Founder
V

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 22:26
mohnishzaveri wrote:
Trying not to get biased by this blip...I hope it is one-off and the rankings improve next year...

I think this unfortunate event has a chance to bring the entire program (faculty, staff, and students) together more than ever and unite them against a common enemy, roaring it back into even a better spot it had. Sometimes a negative event sets of a series of positive ones. It is very early obviously and I just hope they don't do any witch hunts meanwhile to find the scapegoat.
S
Schools: Yale '18 (M)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2016, 22:32
Go with Stern.

Ignore the USN Ranking nonsense that happened lately. Recruiters don't stop showing up because "USN dropped Stern's rankings".

If you're set on doing investment banking and can do 2-3 years of solid work in a US BB or top boutique, you won't need the MIT Sloan halo when you're back in Asia.

You'll get to save instead of spend your earnings in the first 2-3 years of working. Those savings can go a long way for you if you look to start your own business because you'll need all the capital you can get and some savings to buffer the risks of entrepreneurship.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2016, 12:36
I would go with Stern, MIT has an overall reputation, but Stern's is also very strong especially in finance and given your interest in being in NYC this is another advantage. The scholarship seals the deal for me, that is a lot of money for a program that fits your needs so well.

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2016, 14:26
Hey Mohnish a few other points, I would ignore the rankings blip, a schools reputation is not built on a few good years in the rankings. For example Booth was #1 in BW for the last few years but nobody would consider Booth the #1 MBA program given how reputations work. To another point if you are looking to move back to asia I would say MIT has a more global reputation and has one of the best in the world that can stack up with any program. Sloan is also similarly strong in finance recruiting with NYU and with it's Boston location is fairly close to America's US hub in NYC. So I would not say recruiting would be a clear win for NYU although I would maybe give it the slight nod. The decision will ultimately come down to the money versus the reputational advantages MIT has in Asia. Congrats on having such great options

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2016, 23:55
Hi guys,

Thanks for your opinions. Any other perspectives?

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2016, 13:57
I have to agree with the people above. i think if you got into H/S/W your decision would be different. I believe the difference between MIT and Stern in terms of what you are trying to do post-mba does not outweigh the scholarship money you have been offered. Also, you are very close to all the major financial institutions being in NYC. However, if you wanted to work on startups or something else, the decision would be different.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2016, 09:23
mohnishzaveri wrote:
Hi guys,

Thanks for your opinions. Any other perspectives?

How's the Stern experience been? I've been accepted into Stern for the class of 2019.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Stern $$$ vs Sloan   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2016, 09:23

Stern $$$ vs Sloan

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate