GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jan 2019, 11:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Stern ($$$) Vs. Tuck (Sticker)???

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which offer is more attractive?

• 54% [12]
  • 45% [10]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Stern ($$$) Vs. Tuck (Sticker)???  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 13:53
Hey everyone,

I'm currently faced with one of those "great problems to have" that doesn't feel so great at the moment, so I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I've been admitted to both NYU Stern and Dartmouth Tuck. Stern comes with a full scholarship, and Tuck is sticker at the moment with potential to negotiate, although I don't think it's very likely that I'll get that much (if anything).

I've gotten into a few other schools, like Johnson, but have narrowed it to Stern/Tuck. I didn't expect to get into both, so now I'm faced with a tough choice.

My goal is to go into management/strategy consulting, but I'm not dead set on M/B/B. I'd be happy to work for either Accenture or Deloitte, but I'm sure that the allure of M/B/B will be hard to overlook if it presents itself at either program.

Stern seems to be slipping in its ranking as of recently, so I was wondering if it's worth paying full price to Tuck over a full ride at Stern? I love NYC, and would be stoked to live there, but it's hard to ignore the Ivy prestige and lower cost of living at Dartmouth.

I've yet to have a "gut feeling", since I haven't visited Tuck and was honestly too nervous at my Stern interview to really look around too much. I'll be visiting both next week to check out what life would be like out there.

What do you all think?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Stern ($$$) Vs. Tuck (Sticker)???  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 15:29
As much as I treasure Tuck's experience, pedigree, and lots of other things (it is really hard not to be in love with Tuck), it is hard to beat a full ride from Stern. I can't see how you could justify paying $100-150K more for the Tuck experience. If money were out of question, I would definitely pick Tuck - it is a tight group and tight alum network but it is hard to justify that difference.

P.S. See if you can network and perhaps fall in love with Stern. It is only only a difference of 2 points in rankings. Perhaps this would be helpful too: https://gmatclub.com/reviews/business_s ... u-stern-11

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager
B
GRE 1: Q170 V164
GPA: 3.75
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 15:55
Stern! Can’t beat a full ride compared to ticket price. It is what you make of the opportunity at the school you go to

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 18:39
I have the same charm to Tuck as bb does. However, I would take the full ride and start my life without burden. In some circles, Tuck is not generous in negotiating any scholarship. So you are right not to expect anything from them. In NY, you will have power of access and networking to all offices to MBB and 2nt tier firms, although Tuck is not far to do that. Also you can jump from a airport hub to other cities for interviews. Finally do to stuck to rankings. All of them are just indicators.

Good luck
MBA Section Director
V
Affiliations: GMATClub
Concentration: Nonprofit
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2019, 21:15
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2019, 14:27
bb wrote:
As much as I treasure Tuck's experience, pedigree, and lots of other things (it is really hard not to be in love with Tuck), it is hard to beat a full ride from Stern. I can't see how you could justify paying $100-150K more for the Tuck experience. If money were out of question, I would definitely pick Tuck - it is a tight group and tight alum network but it is hard to justify that difference.

P.S. See if you can network and perhaps fall in love with Stern. It is only only a difference of 2 points in rankings. Perhaps this would be helpful too: https://gmatclub.com/reviews/business_s ... u-stern-11

Thanks for the reply, bb!

How do you think the schools would differ in terms of recruiting?

Also, what do you mean by points with rankings?
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2019, 15:31
Tuck is way stronger in consulting but full ride vs nothing is a big difference. I would definitely visit Tuck as people tend to love it or hate it and NYC and Hanover couldn't be more different. Would also see if Tuck is willing to offer any scholarship.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2019, 15:48
jessepinkman wrote:
Tuck is way stronger in consulting but full ride vs nothing is a big difference. I would definitely visit Tuck as people tend to love it or hate it and NYC and Hanover couldn't be more different. Would also see if Tuck is willing to offer any scholarship.

Thank you! Visiting Tuck within the next few weeks, and I'm pretty sure that the visit is going to change how I approach this decision.

Since being admitted, I can definitely say that I'm feeling more love from Tuck than Stern. Tuck people have been reaching out to talk, and I haven't heard much from Stern. It's a busy time though, so I understand.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 3.96
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2019, 18:18
Congratulations!! What was your gmat score?

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
B
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Tuck '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2019, 09:13
Congrats on Tuck and Stern! I can't imagine passing up a full ride, but hopefully visiting both schools will help make the choice easier.

True that Tuck is more of a consulting school, but that also means you're competing with a larger percentage of the class over the same jobs. Stern, on the other hand, is more split between finance, so that's also something to consider. And, I would say recruiting for consulting is really all about your individual performance.

At both of these schools, you'll get an interview at all the firms you're targetting, so it's really about how you perform in the actual case interview and how strong your background is—the small step in rankings won't make a difference in terms of landing the interview spot.

I'd be happy to chat about Tuck if you'd like. If you're looking for some perspective on Stern, I can also connect you with a friend who's a first-year there.
GMAT Club Bot
Stern ($$$) Vs. Tuck (Sticker)??? &nbs [#permalink] 13 Jan 2019, 09:13

Stern ($$$) Vs. Tuck (Sticker)???

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap