Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:40 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [18]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Steve and JoAnne are both members of a certain club, though they are [#permalink]
Kudos
This question seems a bit slightly convoluted.

When Steve tells Cecily "I wont join until I know whether JoAnne is to be a member of it", there's an obvious next question here: "Well if she IS a member of it, will you join it?".

Similarly when Cecily asks Joanne.

One can assume, based on the context, that the answer is no; but it's possible that both Steve and JoAnne will join regardless, and just want to know ahead of time whether the other will be there, to prepare themselves.

If this is the case, then Cecily can use some basic logic to determine that both of them will join the committee, and can thus answer the question of 'is Joanne going to be on the committee?' and 'is Steve going to be on the committee?'.

Is this an LSAT question?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2215 [3]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Re: Steve and JoAnne are both members of a certain club, though they are [#permalink]
Kudos
gmat1220 wrote:
Only 2 cases-
Steve says to cecily : I don't want it
Joanne sys to cecily: ok I consent to the appointment

Joanne says to cecily : I don't want it
Steve says to cecily : ok I consent to the appointment

So their appointment is mutually exclusive.

Posted from my mobile device

Why would Steve say "I dont want the job". As per stimulus, wouldn't he want to know whether Joanne has consented her appointment?

And the same should apply to Joanne also right?

So IMO they will never be able to conclusively decide whether they want to give their consent for their selection. I picked B.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Aidha
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [2]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
harsh08 wrote:
Can some one help with solving this CR

Steve and JoAnne are both members of a certain club, though they are not speaking to each other. Cecily, the club president, is appointing members to the fundraising committee, but she has resolved that she will not appoint anyone without his or her explicit consent. Steve tells Cecily, 'I will not consent to appointment on that committee unless I know whether JoAnne is to be a member of it.' And JoAnne says, 'I will not consent to be a member of that committee unless I know whether Steve will be appointed to it.' If all three of these people stick by these resolutions, then:

A) Neither of them can be appointed to the committee.
B) The situation described in the scenario cannot arise, because it is inherently incoherent.
C) They must either both be appointed or both be left out.
D) The committee may finally have one of them, both of them, or neither of them as members.
E) Either one of them can be appointed, but not both.

I picked D as the correct option because the stimulus does not mention whether S and C will work together of they are not talking to each other. They still may work together. Am I thinking too much?? Can experts throw some light in this?

thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
I'm going for E.

Why? Cecily will only appoint them AFTER they have given consent. So the first thing that needs to happen is for them to say yes or no to a possible appointment.

Steve and JoAnne do NOT sey they won't give consent if they other one does, too. They're just saying they want to know what's happening first. Due to the constellation, none of them will say yes without external influence.

So the only option for at least one of them is if Cecily (!) decides NOT to appoint Steve OR Joanne OR both. If, for example, she's saying "Hey Steve. I'm not going to appoint Joanne" then Steve will know whether Joanne will be a member and so he can make his decision and possibly say yes.

But that obviously requires that at most one of them can become part of the team because Cecily musn't appoint one of them. Hence, E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 498 [2]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
The way I read the question, it says
Cecily will not appoint anyone without explicit consent. But note that she can reject anyone without any consent.
Now Steve and Joanne don't speak with each other, so they can't provide consent together.
And either will not provide consent unless he knows whether the other person is admitted. So there is no chance that both can provide consent and be appointed.

But Cecily can reject either one of them and then the other can provide consent and be admitted.

Lets take the case if Cecily 1st goes to Steve to get his consent and Steve wants to know will Joanne be admitted. Since Cecily doesn't have a consent from Joanne, she can't admit Joanne, but she can reject Joanne and then Steve will have no problem in providing a consent and joining the committee.

Similarly Cecily can reject Steve, get consent from Joanne and admit him. But she will never be able to admit both Steve and Joanne as it is a deadlock situation.

Hence E is the correct option. E) Either one of them can be appointed, but not both.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 943 [0]
Given Kudos: 410
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
prasun9 wrote:
Cecily will not appoint anyone without explicit consent. But note that she can reject anyone without any consent.
Now Steve and Joanne don't speak with each other, so they can't provide consent together.
And either will not provide consent unless he knows whether the other person is admitted. So there is no chance that both can provide consent and be appointed.

But Cecily can reject either one of them and then the other can provide consent and be admitted.

Lets take the case if Cecily 1st goes to Steve to get his consent and Steve wants to know will Joanne be admitted. Since Cecily doesn't have a consent from Joanne, she can't admit Joanne, but she can reject Joanne and then Steve will have no problem in providing a consent and joining the committee.

Similarly Cecily can reject Steve, get consent from Joanne and admit him. But she will never be able to admit both Steve and Joanne as it is a deadlock situation.

Hence E is the correct option. E) Either one of them can be appointed, but not both.

How can we assume that she will ask one at a time?
What if she asks both at the same time?
If she asks both of these guys at the same time, then neither of them of will get selected.

Please explain.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 498 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 580 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
samichange wrote:
prasun9 wrote:

If she asks both of these guys at the same time, then neither of them of will get selected.

Please explain.

Your observation is right but there isn't any option that says "Either or none of the them can be appointed."
If this were an option then it would have been correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
prasun9 wrote:
samichange wrote:
prasun9 wrote:

Please explain.

Your observation is right but there isn't any option that says "Either or none of the them can be appointed."
If this were an option then it would have been correct.

The key word is can. That includes the possibility that none of them is appointed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [1]
Given Kudos: 65
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Kudos
gmat1220 wrote:
Only 2 cases-
Steve says to cecily : I don't want it
Joanne sys to cecily: ok I consent to the appointment

Joanne says to cecily : I don't want it
Steve says to cecily : ok I consent to the appointment

So their appointment is mutually exclusive.

In order to give his or her consent, one of them needs to know whether the other is appointed. This situation does not prevent any of them TO REFUSE the appointment.

4 cases:

Possibility A: each keeps waiting indefinitely. Neither can be appointed.
Possibility B: Steve says no, or Cecily decides on her own not to appoint him. JoAnne gives her consent and she can be appointed.
Possibility C: JoAnne says no, or Cecily decides on her own not to appoint her. Steve gives his consent and he can be appointed.
Possibility D: Both of them refuse the appointment. Neither can be appointed.

Answer is E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I still cannot understand how E is correct. What if both of them refuse to accept the offer. What is they actually want to work together?

And why can't Do be correct? It covers all the possible scenarios. So how can we eliminate it?
please help

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 395
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
harsh08 wrote:
Steve and JoAnne are both members of a certain club, though they are not speaking to each other. Cecily, the club president, is appointing members to the fundraising committee, but she has resolved that she will not appoint anyone without his or her explicit consent. Steve tells Cecily, 'I will not consent to appointment on that committee unless I know whether JoAnne is to be a member of it.' And JoAnne says, 'I will not consent to be a member of that committee unless I know whether Steve will be appointed to it.'

If all three of these people stick by these resolutions, then:

A) Neither of them can be appointed to the committee.
B) The situation described in the scenario cannot arise, because it is inherently incoherent.
C) They must either both be appointed or both be left out.
D) The committee may finally have one of them, both of them, or neither of them as members.

Does not speaking to each other mean that they won't work together?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
Send PM
Dear Experts,

Please shed light on the correct answer.
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Expert Reply
A) Neither of them can be appointed to the committee. Incorrect. There is a way for one of them to be appointed. Details in option (E). Eliminate.

B) The situation described in the scenario cannot arise, because it is inherently incoherent. The situation is perfectly clear - not incoherent. Eliminate.

C) They must either both be appointed or both be left out. Since neither will consent without knowing the other's status, and Cecily will not appoint anyone without their consent, it is not possible to appoint both to the committee. Eliminate.

D) The committee may finally have one of them, both of them, or neither of them as members. Same problem as in (C). Eliminate.

E) Either one of them can be appointed, but not both. Correct answer. Since Cecily's resolution is only about the decision to appoint, she can very well take the decision to not appoint either one of Steve and JoAnne. Once that decision is taken, it can be communicated to the other, who may choose to then be part of the committee. In this way, one of them can be a part of the committee but there is no way for both of them to be a part of the committee.

Hope this helps.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts