Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [95]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [9]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2261 [2]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [3]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Re: Stimulants, such as caffeine, can eliminate pain and fatigue and enhan [#permalink]
Kudos
The answer will be "A".

Option "B" and "C" are eliminated because of the same reason:-
They used "pain, fatigue, and enhance alertness" which means "Stimulants can-eliminate pain, eliminate fatigue and eliminate enhance alertness" which is obviously wrong.

Option "D" is eliminated because it uses "pain and fatigue while enhancing alertness" which means "elimination and enhancement" are always simultaneous effects.

Option "E" is eliminated because it uses "and also enhancing alertness" which produces redundancy.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31932 [2]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: Stimulants, such as caffeine, can eliminate pain and fatigue and enhan [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
[quote="satansanti"]This is from MGCAT.

Stimulants, such as caffeine, can eliminate pain and fatigue and enhance alertness, but, if used continuously for long periods, can cause users to develop tolerance and even addiction.

A pain and fatigue and enhance alertness, but, if used continuously for long periods, can cause users to develop tolerance and even addiction
B pain, fatigue, and enhanced alertness; if used continuously for long periods, though, users can develop tolerance and even addiction to them
C pain, fatigue, and enhance alertness; people having used them continuously for long periods, though, can develop tolerance and even addiction to them
D pain and fatigue while enhancing alertness, but, if used continuously for long periods, users can develop tolerance and even addiction to them
E pain and fatigue, and also enhancing alertness; however, people using them continuously for long periods can develop tolerance and even addiction

A is correct answer

hi,
firstly, the choices leave with no option but to mark A as the answer..
now onto your question.. If you look into the question stem, you realize the modifying clause refers directly to stimulants.
there is nothing between the clause and stimulants, to which clause can refer back..
so Yes it can refer to something slightly away if it unambigiously refers to that noun...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [2]
Given Kudos: 115
Send PM
Bookmarks
chetan2u wrote:
satansanti wrote:
This is from MGCAT.

Stimulants, such as caffeine, can eliminate pain and fatigue and enhance alertness, but, if used continuously for long periods, can cause users to develop tolerance and even addiction.

A pain and fatigue and enhance alertness, but, if used continuously for long periods, can cause users to develop tolerance and even addiction
B pain, fatigue, and enhanced alertness; if used continuously for long periods, though, users can develop tolerance and even addiction to them
C pain, fatigue, and enhance alertness; people having used them continuously for long periods, though, can develop tolerance and even addiction to them
D pain and fatigue while enhancing alertness, but, if used continuously for long periods, users can develop tolerance and even addiction to them
E pain and fatigue, and also enhancing alertness; however, people using them continuously for long periods can develop tolerance and even addiction

A is correct answer

hi,
now onto your question.. If you look into the question stem, you realize the modifying clause refers directly to stimulants.
there is nothing between the clause and stimulants, to which clause can refer back..
so Yes it can refer to something slightly away if it unambigiously refers to that noun...

In option A, we have this
Stimulants can eliminate ...., but, if used continuously for long periods, (stimulants) can cause
hence 'if used continuously for long periods' is modifying (stimulants).

However in option D,
Stimulants can eliminate ..., but, if used continuously for long periods, users can
here stimulants is not repeating and thus 'if used continuously for long periods' is modifying users.

Hope this understanding is correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Hi Experts / chetan2u / daagh,

First, I would like to share explanation given by MGMAT
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The sentence juxtaposes certain positive and negative effects of stimulants. There are two positive effects cited—(a) the elimination of pain and fatigue, and (b) the enhancement of alertness. On the other hand, negative effects—the development of tolerance and/or addiction—are also cited.

The two positive effects should appear in a parallel structure. The sentence should also use a proper transition to express the contrast between the positive and negative effects. Finally, the sentence must use modifiers accurately; specifically, “if used continuously…” must properly refer to the stimulants themselves, not to their users.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) how could the "development of tolerance" be the negative effect. IMO its positive effect
If a person has good tolerance power than I think it a good thing..... Please correct my reasoning if wrong.

I would like to discuss between A and D
I opted for wrong option D

A. pain and fatigue and enhance alertness, but, if used continuously for long periods, can cause users to develop tolerance and even addiction.
D. pain and fatigue while enhancing alertness, but, if used continuously for long periods, users can develop tolerance and even addiction to them.

After opted for wrong option D, I realized that word eliminate and enhance must be parallel. So we are only left with option A and C.

Apart from this I want to discuss the usage of can develop VS to develop
I eliminated A because of usage to develop

to develop---> shows INTENTION. It means users are drinking coffee for long periods as they WANT to develop tolerance and even addiction.
IMO, this should not be the intended meaning of sentence, that's why I eliminated A.

Please assist, why to develop is correct.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [4]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Prakhar
Hi

To develop tolerance is not a positive factor. Tolerance here does not mean patience or forgiveness. In medical terms, tolerance means immunity or resistance. Therefore developing tolerance is a negative factor.
Secondly, causing something to develop does not mean intention. It is simply a cause and effect. So we should not disconnect to develop from the causal agent. Further, development of a negative trait cannot logically be by an intention. It is a side effect that occurs in tandem, whether one wants it or not. For example, consider this: If people consume high-fat food, it may lead them to suffer a heart attack. – This does not mean that people consume high-fat food in order to undergo a heart attack.

Therefore, I feel ‘to develop’ is correct in this context.

As regards D, in addition to parallelism, a fatal flaw is that the modifier - if used continuously for long periods,- modifies the users, meaning as though the users are used long periods.

HTH
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Hi daagh,

Thank for quick reply. However I still want to discuss one more thing. If in medical terms, tolerance means immunity or resistance than also it should be a good thing.
Eg- Eating basil leaves improves immunity.

If a person's immunity = tolerance is getting developed than it should be good.

Please assist.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Perceptions will differ, but we should take MGMAT's thinking as the final.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
PrakharGMAT wrote:
Hi daagh,

Thank for quick reply. However I still want to discuss one more thing. If in medical terms, tolerance means immunity or resistance than also it should be a good thing.
Eg- Eating basil leaves improves immunity.

If a person's immunity = tolerance is getting developed than it should be good.

Please assist.

Hi Prakhar,

i) Immunity to/from a good thing - Bad news (For example, immunity to antibiotics - Bad news)
ii) Immunity to/from a bad thing - Good news (For example, immunity to disease - Good news)

Here, the sentence is talking about Immunity to a good thing (caffeine: good because it eliminates pain and fatigue and enhances alertness). Hence here, immunity is bad news and not good.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
PrakharGMAT wrote:
After opted for wrong option D, I realized that word eliminate and enhance must be parallel.

Not really. There is no enhance in D. It uses enhancing and that's fine.

However, as daagh has already mentioned, the big issue with D is that the Participial phrase if used continuously for long periods modifies users, erroneously implying that users are used continuously for long periods!
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8810 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
blueseas wrote:

(A) pain and fatigue and enhance alertness, but, if used continuously for long periods, can cause users to develop tolerance and even addiction

(B) pain, fatigue, and enhanced alertness; if used continuously for long periods, though, users can develop tolerance and even addiction to them

(C) pain, fatigue, and enhance alertness; people having used them continuously for long periods, though, can develop tolerance and even addiction to them

(D) pain and fatigue while enhancing alertness, but, if used continuously for long periods, users can develop tolerance and even addiction to them

(E) pain and fatigue, and also enhancing alertness; however, people using them continuously for long periods can develop tolerance and even addiction

Isn't the usage of 'comma+ but' in option A incorrect?

Comma+ FANBOYS is used to separate two independent clauses.

1. I went home, and then I slept- Correct
2. I went home, then I slept - Run-on
3. I went home and slept - Correct; here 2 verbs are added, not two clauses
4. I went home, and slept - Incorrect

OA- A seems analogous to case 4 above.

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyMurray , DmitryFarber , daagh , generis , other experts - please enlighten
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
Skywalker18 wrote:

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyMurray , DmitryFarber , daagh , generis , other experts - please enlighten
Some people would consider the use of a comma in I went home, and slept incorrect. This is not a strict rule and such commas are used frequently by even the best writers.

Because the GMAT does not test it, we should avoid applying this "rule".
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63668 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Skywalker18 wrote:
blueseas wrote:

As AjiteshArun correctly notes, almost every comma "rule" can be violated.

In general, the more stuff we cram into a sentence, the more useful it might be to include some commas to make things clearer to a reader. Consider a simple example:

"Zoe loves her pet poodle but would rather not clean up after him."

This is conventional usage, since I'm not introducing a list or a new clause. But ultimately, the question of whether to include a comma after "poodle" is up to the writer's discretion. To me, this sentence seems clear enough as it is.

But now take a more complicated version of the same sentence:

"Zoe loves her pet poodle and pet cockatiel and enjoys pitting them against each other in games of Twister, but hates cleaning up after them."

There's no rule dictating that I absolutely NEED that comma after "Twister," but because I've included another object (the cockatiel) and another verb (enjoys), the sentence is just harder to read without the comma, which allows the reader to take a much-needed pause.

The takeaway: there are very few ironclad rules involving commas, and the GMAT rarely uses punctuation as a decision point, so try to find more definitive reasons for eliminating answer choices.

I hope that helps!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1038 [0]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
daagh AjiteshArun

Should there not be an "it" before "can cause":

Stimulants, such as caffeine, can eliminate pain and fatigue and enhance alertness, but, if used continuously for long periods, it can cause users to develop tolerance and even addiction.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Kritisood wrote:
daagh AjiteshArun

Should there not be an "it" before "can cause":

Stimulants, such as caffeine, can eliminate pain and fatigue and enhance alertness, but, if used continuously for long periods, it can cause users to develop tolerance and even addiction.
Hi Kritisood,

Good question. There are a couple of issues we should look at:

1. Let's take all the extra stuff out.
Stimulants, such as caffeine, can eliminate pain and fatigue... but, if used continuously for long periods, can cause users to develop tolerance....

Stimulants (1) can eliminate A and B... but (2) can cause Y.

The enhance complicates things a bit, but doesn't lead to any major changes in our analysis.

2. The subject is stimulants (plural), so we would not really want to use an it (singular).
Stimulants, such as caffeine, can eliminate pain and fatigue, but it can cause users to develop tolerance.

To summarize: adding a they would not hurt, but is not necessary. The sentence is clear enough in its current form (a they may in fact confuse the reader: does the they refer to stimulants or to pain and fatigue?).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM
Success2015 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
satansanti wrote:
This is from MGCAT.

A is correct answer

hi,

In option A, we have this
Stimulants can eliminate ...., but, if used continuously for long periods, (stimulants) can cause
hence 'if used continuously for long periods' is modifying (stimulants).

However in option D,
Stimulants can eliminate ..., but, if used continuously for long periods, users can
here stimulants is not repeating and thus 'if used continuously for long periods' is modifying users.

Hope this understanding is correct

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , @MartyMurray , DmitryFarber , daagh , generis VeritasKarishma egmat

Hi, I just want to ask why in option D 'used' cant refer back to stimulants? How should one decide what is 'used' modifying (users or stimulants)? Please guide me. Thanks in advance.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [3]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos