Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Send PM
Re: Strategies for research? [#permalink]
Spreadsheet + Dropbox here too. It was very helpful when writing essays... Keep track of the common themes you see that pop up for each school. Of course, I got a bit lost in the numbers from time to time... but I'm always a bit too analytical.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Marketing, Sustainability
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
I have a stack of brochures that I got in the mail and from visits from schools, but what I did just to figure out where I wanted to apply was a keep a running draft in gmail. I started by copying the list of the top 25 schools. I would then add some info as I researched each one down the list. I deleted ones I knew for sure I wasn't interested in applying to (ie, MIT is very analytically focused, or so I was convinced and I knew I wanted to do marketing, so I took it off). I added info about how much it cost to apply and what living expenses were in that area, whether the school discloses grades, and whether you could major in something or got a general management degree, how well ranked the school was for marketing, etc. I also started listing classes and extracurriculars I was interested in for each school. By the time I got to this level of detail, I was down to about 10 schools, so then it was a matter of making final decisions about which I identified the most with personally. For example, one of my top choices now is a school that had remained on my list but I only decided to apply to after I didn't get into either of my round 1 schools.

Clearly this is a way less analytical way of looking at it, but the whole process is so overwhelming that I don't see any need to mire yourself in spreadsheets unless it really makes you more comfortable (I spent way too much time making a very detailed deck for each of my reccomenders on each school I was applying to. Huge waste of time. They didn't even find it useful.) I kept track of deadlines by immediately putting everything on my Outlook calendar.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Send PM
suecone8 wrote:
I don't see any need to mire yourself in spreadsheets unless it really makes you more comfortable.

Agreed. I'm a bit of an Excel junkie, and actually enjoy life inside of a spreadsheet. It isnt needed, do what works for you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
suecone8 wrote:
I don't see any need to mire yourself in spreadsheets unless it really makes you more comfortable.

Agreed. I'm a bit of an Excel junkie, and actually enjoy life inside of a spreadsheet. It isnt needed, do what works for you.

I was updating some things in my master MBA spreadsheet when I saw this thread. Nice to know I'm not crazy! Or only as crazy as everyone else here ;)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
I was not nearly as systematic as the other posters here. But also, I already had a good idea of where I wanted to apply, but just needed to narrow down my list. And the way I narrowed it down was by talking to alums and current students. And I kept all my notes in a notebook that I flipped through, throughout my application process.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
wown wrote:
Hi,

I am going to apply to MBA next year and I am starting to research the schools I am interested in. This includes reading related blogs (HBR, Wharton Magazine, etc.), following the schools on social media, meeting with my personal contacts who are associated with schools i am interested in, etc. etc.

but this is a lot of information to process and keep track off. What are some research strategies/organizational frameworks you have used to keep track of all the info you gather.

here is what i attempted to do. per my consultant quantitative mindset, i created a relational spreadsheet in excel, linking schools to faculties, focuses, classes, etc etc. in principle it was a great idea and i can share my spreadsheet with you, but i think i overthought the whole thing. i just got lost in the minutae and pretty soon gave up that approach.

thanks.

Are you referring to research for your essays? Or research to decide which schools to apply to in the first place? In either case, definitely talk to club members - stalk them out on the websites and refer to who you spoke with in your essays... Worked for me!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.53
WE:Marketing (Real Estate)
Send PM
I created a spreadsheet as well but my focus was on simplifying the information available so I could refer back to it later. I found the strategy helped me narrow my search and gave me a decent impression of the various schools I was considering.

After doing research on a school (reading their website, going through course catalogue, speaking with someone, etc.) I would write one or two sentences in a notes section on the school. It might say something like "poor marketing department" or "I spoke with XYZ and got a great impression of the program." I found that to be really helpful because your memory of how you feel about a school can fade over time, and recording your gut reaction is helpful.

I also crunched some numbers and created a couple of indexes for each school, things like "Difficulty in getting in" index and "Average student earnings" index. My aim was to simplify the flurry of statistics you're given for each program, and it helped me compare schools across just a few factors rather than the 10 you're typically supplied with.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Send PM
Ward2012 wrote:
I was not nearly as systematic as the other posters here. But also, I already had a good idea of where I wanted to apply, but just needed to narrow down my list. And the way I narrowed it down was by talking to alums and current students. And I kept all my notes in a notebook that I flipped through, throughout my application process.

Dude. Did you really get Waitlisted for 4 schools?! I've never heard of that...especially for top programs. Any luck getting off the waitlist yet?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
@Chupacabra--Yes, I did indeed get waitlisted at those four schools. So far, nothing has come to fruition, but all my schools told me that I shouldn't expect to hear before March.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ward2012 wrote:
@Chupacabra--Yes, I did indeed get waitlisted at those four schools. So far, nothing has come to fruition, but all my schools told me that I shouldn't expect to hear before March.

Oh man! That is a lot of waiting. Are you doing anything in the meanwhile?
GMAT Club Bot