Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:46 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [2]
Given Kudos: 562
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [1]
Given Kudos: 562
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Strategies on retaking GMAT (3rd attempt) [#permalink]
Kudos
distressedDamsel wrote:
Hi Sachin,

I used MGMAT books for Quant.

For Verbal, I referred to Powerscore for CR and MGMAT for a few concepts on SC and RC.

As is evident, the preparations were nothing to gloat about and it reflected in my scores :oops:

I had scored a 670 and 650 on the two GMAT preps I had taken.

I took both my attempts about less than a month and half apart from each other.

It's been more than three months since I've given my 2nd attempt.

Hi Soumya,
What were your scaled scores (quant and verbal)in your mocks and on the real tests?

MGMAT books are the best as far as Quant is concerned.
If you are around a 44 in Quant, then its pretty much sure that you know all the fundamentals of quant that is tested on GMAT.
To go from 44 to 49+, you would need to understand the nuances of tricks and traps set on GMAT.
Maintaining an error log will help you know the areas that you are weak and strong in and then you can systematically focus on your weak areas.

What is your target score? How much time do you have before you take your next attempt?

I would suggest you refrain from booking the slot until you see your target score on mocks.

For Verbal, how good are you in SC? This is an area which can be improved but needs a lot of practise.
I am not so strong in RC and CR but strength in SC helped me get a 34 on Verbal in my previous attempt.

Please Press kudos to encourage me. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

Although I'm pretty embarrassed to disclose my scores, I'll do it anyway :oops:

Verbal - 36
Quant - 31

I'm planning to give myself at least three months and see my mock test scores before I book a slot. I'm targeting somewhere near May end or June 1st week.

I'm also planning on enrolling for the Magoosh GMAT Premium course. Does that make sense?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Your Verbal score is not bad. You should emphasize on your Quant preparation. I would suggest you do MGMAT Quant thoroughly.
Try to concentrate on understanding the nuances/traps that GMAT questions contain.

You are confident about your Verbal and it is reflecting in your score. I scored less than you in Verbal and scored 700.
To improve in Quant should be your focus. If you haven't scheduled your next GMAT test, I would suggest you work hard on Quant for about 15 days to a month and once you gain some confidence, you can go ahead and schedule your GMAT test.

The most important thing is self-belief. Never lose that. Yes, you need to estimate your strengths and weaknesses in a realistic manner and you know your area of weakness is Quant. Try to practise with MGMAT Quant thoroughly and am sure you will improve in Quant. Once your Quant score improves, your overall score will definitely improve. Try to improve in Verbal as well so that you can see a great increase in your overall score.

I hope you will become an inspiration for others in improving score from 500+ to 700+.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks a lot for all the encouragement. I'm gonna start my prep again. Let's see how it goes.
GMAT Club Bot