Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:12 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 2: 620 Q46 V29
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V36
Send PM
Senior PS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5205 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 4558 [0]
Given Kudos: 128
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1601 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: Strategy for GMAT [#permalink]
lybeaver wrote:
Hi guys,

I have about 6 months to prepare for my GMAT and I need an advice for my study plan.

I first took my GMAT Prep 1 a week ago to know my level. I scored 390 in which Q35 and V12. I only did Quant part and I skipped most of my Verbal since I haven’t prepared anything for Verbal yet.

For Quant, before I took the Prep Test, I reviewed Math’s concept for 2 weeks. The only book I used was GMAT Club Mathbook and I did some daily questions of the forum. The point turned out a little bit disappointing and I want to improve it to > Q47. My materials I have on hand for Quant are GMAT Club Mathbook and OG 2019. Which other materials should I use? My weakness is DS, what strategy should I take to improve DS?

For Verbal, my material are Manhattan SC and Powerscore Bible CR. I’m a non-native speaker and my IELTS level is 7.0, should I take the e-GMAT verbal course?

My aim score is >680. Do you think it’s better to study Quant first then Verbal or I should study both at the same time?

Thank you!

Posted from GMAT ToolKit

First of, Welcome to the GMAT world and sit tight for some jolts. I would always suggest to go for Q and V side by side as it seems a more balanced approach than first Q and then V. You can alternate Q and V on week days and a combine study of both Quant and Verbal on weekend. Do RC daily without missing a day otherwise it will frustrate you all the time. IELTS and GMAT verbal are different though you may find some parts easier. e-gmat is a good course along with MGMAT guides. Earn kudos on GMAT club and access GMAT club tests and questions for each set of 25 kudos.

Some useful links are as follows :

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-self-pr ... tml?f=menu

https://gmatclub.com/tests-beta/?fl=menu

https://gmatclub.com/marketplace/free-stuff?fl=menu

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-flashca ... ml?fl=menu

https://gmatclub.com/forum/free-trials- ... ml?fl=menu

Be a regular user of GMATclub and get the dividends.

QZ
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi lybeaver,

Many Test Takers are unhappy about their initial CAT Scores, but you really shouldn't be - it's just a measure of your skills right now and you're going to be learning content and Tactics over the coming months to help you to score higher. That having been said, you really MUST try your best to complete the FULL CAT each time (as we need to have a better sense of your natural skills, strengths and weaknesses). By essentially skipping the Verbal section of this first CAT, we are missing some important information about your current skills.

With 6 months, you could improve a great deal, but to raise this score 290+ points, you're going to have to make some significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. You will also find it better to study a 'mix' of Quant and Verbal each week (instead of the 'all of one, then all of the other' approach that you're thinking about).

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
3) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32888 [0]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
lybeaver wrote:
Hi guys,

I have about 6 months to prepare for my GMAT and I need an advice for my study plan.

I first took my GMAT Prep 1 a week ago to know my level. I scored 390 in which Q35 and V12. I only did Quant part and I skipped most of my Verbal since I haven’t prepared anything for Verbal yet.

For Quant, before I took the Prep Test, I reviewed Math’s concept for 2 weeks. The only book I used was GMAT Club Mathbook and I did some daily questions of the forum. The point turned out a little bit disappointing and I want to improve it to > Q47. My materials I have on hand for Quant are GMAT Club Mathbook and OG 2019. Which other materials should I use? My weakness is DS, what strategy should I take to improve DS?

For Verbal, my material are Manhattan SC and Powerscore Bible CR. I’m a non-native speaker and my IELTS level is 7.0, should I take the e-GMAT verbal course?

My aim score is >680. Do you think it’s better to study Quant first then Verbal or I should study both at the same time?

Thank you!

Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Best Books

For Concept Learning

Manhattan Quant Guides
Manhattan Verbal Guides
For CR: The Powerscore GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible
For RC: Aristotle RC Grail

For Practice

The Official Guide for GMAT 2015-18
The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review 2015-18
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2015-18

Strategies

You can start with Quant or Verbal which suits you. If you have started with Quant then Start with the Arithmetic but if started with verbal then start first with Sentence correction. One month for learning Quant concepts and one month for practicing question and same practice for Verbal. During you Practicing question don't forget to make an error log to track your weak areas after practice. Once you know your weak areas revise your Concepts related to those areas and do some more Practice. 6-8 CATs are enough for practice the real tests. Make your Stamina for sitting 3 hours in the test and don't study more than 2 hours in one sit and 4 hours per day

Top CATs for Practice

1. Official GMAC CATs
2. Manhattan CATs
3. Kaplan CATs
4. GMAT Club Quant CATs

Good Luck
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
lybeaver wrote:
Hi guys,

Thank you!

Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Hi lybeaver,

6 months is good enough to improve your score. It’s a good thing you have taken a GMAT Mock once. You now know your weaknesses and work on them. If you are willing to study dedicatedly for that period, you are sure to achieve your goal. I think you need to solidify you base and adopt a proper technique to answer the questions. I believe you may benefit from taking a GMATPREP course. If you are willing, there are some great GMAT prep companies that can help you with your preparation.

In order to make an informed decision I would highly encourage you to go to their websites and try on their free trial and decide for yourself which one do you like better. You try out free access to EmpowerGMAT, Magoosh and Optimus Prep as they have great reviews on GMATCLUB.

Also for verbal, I would highly encourage you to consider e-gmat verbal online or the e-gmat verbal live course. They are both amazing courses especially designed for non-natives. They offer almost 25% of their courses for free so you can try out their free trial to decide which one you want to go for. Plus the e-gmat Scholaranium which is included in both the courses is one of the best verbal practice tools in the market. You can easily track your progress in that you can identify your strengths and analyze and improve on your weak areas.

You can also try out the MGMAT guides they are phenomenal and cover the entire syllabus really well. Just by going through these guides and solving the OG will help you reach 600+.I must add that if you are particularly looking to discover and improve on your weak areas in Quant; a subscription to GMATCLUB tests is the best way to do that. They are indeed phenomenal and will not only pinpoint your weak areas but also help you improve on them.

Further taking multiple mocks might help. Apart from the GMATPREP, Manhattan GMAT tests and Veritas Prep Tests in my experience have good verbal and Quant section and will certainly help you point out and improve your weak areas.

Further another advantage of taking many mocks is to build up your stamina. Apart from the GMATPREP tests, taking practise tests of any major GMATPREP company ought to do that.

I would also encourage you to purchase GMATPREP QP 1 for some great additional practice. Here is a link that will help you with your decision.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-ve ... ml?fl=menu

Lastly, you can check out a very interesting article by Mike McGarry from Magoosh detailing a 3 month study plan

https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-g ... -students/. You will find it very helpful as it gives out a study plan as per your needs.

Hope this helps. All the best.
GMAT Club Bot