Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:49 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Finance, General Management
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30788 [1]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22049 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Struggling with GMAT :/ [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi ttaneja4,

Many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level; from what you describe, your studies have been book heavy, so it's possible that this has happened to you as well. This is meant to say that you might end up needing to invest in some new, non-book resources that emphasize Quant and Verbal Tactics.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
ttaneja4 wrote:
Hi everyone
I'm struggling to prepare for GMAT and turned to this forum on the advice of a friend. I've been planning to take the exam since March last year but kept putting it off for different reasons each time. Finally this year I applied for the ISB YLP program and got selected in the first round. I thought that this would motivate me enough to prepare for the exam so I booked the test for August 24, 2018. However, I kept scoring in low 600's so I decided to postpone the exam for I knew that I was capable of better. I had to let go of the opportunity of getting into ISB through the YLP program because i chose a better score over this chance. I've now rescheduled my exam for December 5, 2018 but i still find myself helpless about my preparations.

I have gone through all Manhattan books including foundations of math and verbal. I did not find the powercore CR bible very helpful and I'm now looking for advice on this forum especially from bb
Verbal is definitely a weak area for me. In Quant i find myself making silly mistakes and rushing through the questions. Another mistake that I've been making in quant is my tendency of trying to mechanically solve each question by using formulas instead of eliminating choices by smart thinking.

I would appreciate if you all can guide me in my journey to achieve a 720+ score.
Hi You have contacted me through study buddy portal . When I tried to reply, it is not being forwarded. You may contact me on 9958426758. We can discuss in detail. Sachin(Aim800only)

Sent from my Redmi 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1777 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Struggling with GMAT :/ [#permalink]
Hey ttaneja4, I have a few thoughts:

It sounds to me in general like you've hit what we call the 'plateau'! This means that phase when you've done your studying and know the material but seem to have stopped improving - you just keep making the same mistakes and keep missing the same types of questions. So how do you break through this glass ceiling?

Usually, the answer isn't more fine-tuning, it is an adaptation of strategy. for example, you say make ‘silly’ mistakes. Do you use simple numbers to verify your calculations or your logic? Making an abstract problem concrete with examples can make it much easier to avoid falling into logical traps. This is an example of what we call the 'Alternative' approach.

You also say that you keep trying to mechanically solve each question by using formulas instead of eliminating choices by smart thinking. This happens to many test takers - we call this using the Precise approach, which favours straightforward solving, instead of other answer strategies, such as the Alternative approach I just mentioned, or one using Logical tools.

I have similar thoughts on verbal, considering you have already studied the basics but are still having trouble. I think you probably ly don't need to solve a lot more questions... you've already done a lot, and just continuing at this pace will only make you tired. What you do need to do is 1) spend some time analysing your performance, and 2) weighing whether you need to change your answer strategies.
Many people, for example, make the mistake of reading all answer choices in all questions; with the clock running, you can’t afford to do this! Many Verbal questions are ones where all the relevant information is in the question itself, and you can use the PRECISE approach to answer the question directly, and avoid becoming confused by the answers. Other questions are those in which there is a general LOGICAL rule that can help answer the question quickly – reading all answers is a waste of time here as well. Only about a third of the questions are those in which it is necessary or preferable to go over all the answer choices (using the ALTERNATIVE approach). The trick is, of course, figuring out which question is which, and this requires concentrated study, checking not only whether you got the question right, but also whether you did so quickly and efficiently.

Thus, I suggest you consider a shift in strategy - is there a completely different way to answer questions that you've so far missed? Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info or check out our Intro to PAL video here, which explains different strategic approaches in depth.

ttaneja4 wrote:
Hi everyone
I'm struggling to prepare for GMAT and turned to this forum on the advice of a friend. I've been planning to take the exam since March last year but kept putting it off for different reasons each time. Finally this year I applied for the ISB YLP program and got selected in the first round. I thought that this would motivate me enough to prepare for the exam so I booked the test for August 24, 2018. However, I kept scoring in low 600's so I decided to postpone the exam for I knew that I was capable of better. I had to let go of the opportunity of getting into ISB through the YLP program because i chose a better score over this chance. I've now rescheduled my exam for December 5, 2018 but i still find myself helpless about my preparations.

I have gone through all Manhattan books including foundations of math and verbal. I did not find the powercore CR bible very helpful and I'm now looking for advice on this forum especially from bb
Verbal is definitely a weak area for me. In Quant i find myself making silly mistakes and rushing through the questions. Another mistake that I've been making in quant is my tendency of trying to mechanically solve each question by using formulas instead of eliminating choices by smart thinking.

I would appreciate if you all can guide me in my journey to achieve a 720+ score.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Top Contributor
Do NOT make silly mistakes on quant! They are extremely costly. On a global basis - lots of people do well on quant -- and any simple mistake can bring you down when it really shouldn't have.

Since you verbal is weakest, you really need to focus on the subsections separately and then bring them together.

If you feel you are stuck, it may help to open your eyes to see how someone else thinks through GMAT questions so you can subconsciously compare your thought process with others.

At GMAT Pill, that's what we provide - a different perspective that often opens up new doors for mental approaches to the same questions you are answering.

Here are 2 examples:

https://www.gmatpill.com/sentencecorrect ... ythons.mp4

https://www.gmatpill.com/criticalreasoni ... Estate.mp4

For Verbal, we recommend solidifying your SC skills first: https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... -questions

As you study OG, follow along our SC videos. Here's a sample: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1f_ckd ... H1HmTgctJI

You can learn more about our student success at https://www.gmatpill.com/testimonials
GMAT Club Bot