It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 11:05

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Student Advisor: One of our exchange students faced multiple

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 1

Re: Student Advisor: One of our exchange students faced multiple [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2011, 01:48
+1 for B.

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 391 [0], given: 51

Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2011, 00:29
B is the answer

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Kudos [?]: 391 [0], given: 51

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 6

Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2011, 08:27
good question , great explanation also
thank you , did not saw B as answer

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 6

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2012, 22:18
B

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 593 [0], given: 264

GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2012, 08:12
casual reasoning based Qn...
+1 B.( reversal is not true)

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies http://gmatclub.com/forum/three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Kudos [?]: 593 [0], given: 264

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 931 [0], given: 322

Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2013, 19:25
Classic case of causal reasoning.

Stated relation is not reversed that weakens the argument.
So that possibility is highlighted and avoided by option (B).

Hence , (B).

Rgds,
TGC!

Kudos [?]: 931 [0], given: 322

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2014, 17:47
Between B and C

B) The programming content of NN IS ....more closely aligned.... Leads me to believe that it's more aligned because they changed their programming. Thus this answer supports the conclusion that more people switch to NN.

C) WW viewers liked NN better than WW. .......If they did like it, then why was the number of viewers lower in the first place?

I understand why C is correct, but I do feel like the tenses they used on the questions confused me.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 148

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2014, 23:18
Go for B

Fact 1: the student argue with her parents
Fact 2: Her GPD declined
Conclusion: 1 --> 2
Assumption: if fact 2 caused fact 1, then we cannot conclude that fact 1 cause fact 2

+1 Kudos please, if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 148

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 18059 [0], given: 1991

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
*700* Student Advisor: One of our exchange students faced multiple [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2015, 05:44
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Student Advisor: One of our exchange students faced multiple arguments with her parents over the course of the past year. Not surprisingly, her grade point average (GPA) over the same period showed a steep decline. This is just one example of a general truth: problematic family relationships can cause significant academic difficulties for our students.

Which of the following is an assumption underlying the general truism claimed by the Student Advisor?

A. Last year, the exchange student reduced the amount of time spent on academic work, resulting in a lower GPA.
B. The decline in the GPA of the exchange student was not the reason for the student's arguments with her parents.
C. School GPA is an accurate measure of a student's intellectual ability.
D. If proper measures are not taken, the decline in the student's academic performance may become irreversible.
E. Fluctuations in academic performance are typical for many students.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 18059 [0], given: 1991

Current Student
Status: Birds fly because they have wings, not because they have sky.

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 73

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Re: *700* Student Advisor: One of our exchange students faced multiple [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2015, 08:49
Negating B reverses the cause and effect and subsequently the argument falls flat. Answer should B.

Regards,
J

--------------------------------------------------
Consider Kudos if I helped in some way!!!

Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did.

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 73

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 113

Re: *700* Student Advisor: One of our exchange students faced multiple [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2015, 11:05
B for me tooo. Manhattan question !! nice one.

souvik101990 wrote:
Student Advisor: One of our exchange students faced multiple arguments with her parents over the course of the past year. Not surprisingly, her grade point average (GPA) over the same period showed a steep decline. This is just one example of a general truth: problematic family relationships can cause significant academic difficulties for our students. Which of the following is an assumption underlying the general truism claimed by the Student Advisor?

A. Last year, the exchange student reduced the amount of time spent on academic work, resulting in a lower GPA.

B. The decline in the GPA of the exchange student was not the reason for the student's arguments with her parents.

D. If proper measures are not taken, the decline in the student's academic performance may become irreversible.

Kudos to you, for helping me with some KUDOS.

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 113

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2015, 09:55
souvik101990 wrote:
Student Advisor: One of our exchange students faced multiple arguments with her parents over the course of the past year. Not surprisingly, her grade point average (GPA) over the same period showed a steep decline. This is just one example of a general truth: problematic family relationships can cause significant academic difficulties for our students. Which of the following is an assumption underlying the general truism claimed by the Student Advisor?

My concern is that the argument with the parents happened during a period or a semester and the results declined when the result of that semester came i.e after this period or semester of the argument. Than option B is out of question since decline has happened after the arguments.

Can someone help?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 231

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2016, 12:47
use of negation on statement B breaks the link between assumption and conclusion completely .correct answer B

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 231

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2016, 12:30
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2016, 12:34
fluke wrote:
ankit1234suhane wrote:
assumption is link between premise and conclusion if that is true how come OA is B?. OA B is reversal of conclusion.
Pls explain

Two things happened:
1. The student scored low.
2. The student had arguments with her parents.

While these two evidences seem to be interdependent, they may very well not be.

The student may be scoring low because of a third reason; perhaps she wants to pursue a different career altogether. Perhaps the very cause that triggered event 1 above could have also triggered 2, who knows.

Just because we are presented with two events, we can't deduce that one occurred because of the other.

(B) just reiterates one of the possible assumptions. It's excluding the possibility that event 1 caused event 2. For the conclusion to be true, we must at least make this assumption. There may be 1000 other assumptions to become sure of the conclusion; however, B should be one among those. "After all, an assumption" is what's asked.

Ans: "B"

Note: "B" alone wouldn't be sufficient to validate the conclusion.

The conclusion in plain words is that 'Problems in personal relationships affect academic results'. But B says, that the arguments with family post decline in academic results was not reason for trouble with family'. Aren't the two contradicting each other.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2016, 21:07
parker wrote:
Great explanation fluke!

This is a classic type of assumption. Anytime you are presented with an observation about two events that CORRELATE, and the conclusion makes a CAUSAL claim, it's a very good idea to check that there were not alternate models of causation that could have explained the observed phenomenon.

Remember that you're looking for a *necessary* assumption for these arguments--without that assumption being true, the argument falls apart. As gmatpassion said above, if you negate choice B the conclusion will no longer hold. That means the positive version of the answer choice must have been necessary to uphold the conclusion. In this case, the argument makes a causal claim (family problems CAUSE academic difficulties) based on the observed correlation between one student's drop in GPA and that student's family difficulties. This observation is of two events that happened at the SAME TIME. CAUSATION, however, implies that one happened BEFORE the other and LED to the other. One possible explanation of the correlation is the conclusion mentioned, but it's just as possible that the reverse model of causation was true (or that some third unknown factor caused both...for example, what if the student developed a psychological disorder that affected both relationships and GPA?)

I don't recommend defaulting to negation for all five choices because it can take some time, but if you're down to 2 answers choices and are having a hard time figuring out which is necessary and which is merely "helpful," negation is a very powerful tool. Here, if we say that the GPA decline WAS the reason for the arguments, then it's not possible for the arguments to have been the reason for the GPA decline (as the original conclusion posits). This must be our answer.

Hi,
thanks for your helpful sulotion, but I am wondering why (C) is not correct. In this case, one of my brainstormed assuption is that "GPA can be the indicator for acedemic ability, which is the intellectual ability (is it right?)". So, when it comes to (C), it meets the assumption that GPA is the accurate measure of intellectual ability. Here, we can use the negation method. Then (C)'s negation is GPA is not the accurate measure of intellectual ability, and that clearly hurts the conclusion based on the above assumption. If GPA cannot reflect the academic ability, how can they say the lower GPA means academic difficulties? -----even stronger than (B)

Is there anything i misunderstood? Thanks for more explanation:)

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 8

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Affiliations: NA

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 58

GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2016, 08:44
Jez0612 wrote:
parker wrote:
Great explanation fluke!

This is a classic type of assumption. Anytime you are presented with an observation about two events that CORRELATE, and the conclusion makes a CAUSAL claim, it's a very good idea to check that there were not alternate models of causation that could have explained the observed phenomenon.

Remember that you're looking for a *necessary* assumption for these arguments--without that assumption being true, the argument falls apart. As gmatpassion said above, if you negate choice B the conclusion will no longer hold. That means the positive version of the answer choice must have been necessary to uphold the conclusion. In this case, the argument makes a causal claim (family problems CAUSE academic difficulties) based on the observed correlation between one student's drop in GPA and that student's family difficulties. This observation is of two events that happened at the SAME TIME. CAUSATION, however, implies that one happened BEFORE the other and LED to the other. One possible explanation of the correlation is the conclusion mentioned, but it's just as possible that the reverse model of causation was true (or that some third unknown factor caused both...for example, what if the student developed a psychological disorder that affected both relationships and GPA?)

I don't recommend defaulting to negation for all five choices because it can take some time, but if you're down to 2 answers choices and are having a hard time figuring out which is necessary and which is merely "helpful," negation is a very powerful tool. Here, if we say that the GPA decline WAS the reason for the arguments, then it's not possible for the arguments to have been the reason for the GPA decline (as the original conclusion posits). This must be our answer.

Hi,
thanks for your helpful sulotion, but I am wondering why (C) is not correct. In this case, one of my brainstormed assuption is that "GPA can be the indicator for acedemic ability, which is the intellectual ability (is it right?)". So, when it comes to (C), it meets the assumption that GPA is the accurate measure of intellectual ability. Here, we can use the negation method. Then (C)'s negation is GPA is not the accurate measure of intellectual ability, and that clearly hurts the conclusion based on the above assumption. If GPA cannot reflect the academic ability, how can they say the lower GPA means academic difficulties? -----even stronger than (B)

Is there anything i misunderstood? Thanks for more explanation:)

Hello there , you are not following correct approach . Hope my explanation will help

Student Advisor: One of our exchange students faced multiple arguments with her parents over the course of the past year. Not surprisingly, her grade point average (GPA)over the same period showed a steep decline. This is just one example of a general truth: problematic family relationships can cause significant academic difficulties for our students.

Which of the following is an assumption underlying the general truism claimed by the Student Advisor?
(A) Last year, the exchange student reduced the amount of time spent on academic work, resulting in a lower GPA.
(B) The decline in the GPA of the. exchange student was not the reason for the student's arguments with her parents.
(C) School GPA is an accurate measure of a student's intellectual ability.
(D) If proper measures are not taken, the decline in the student's academic performance may become irreversible.
(E) Fluctuations in academic performance are typical for many students.

Conclusion here : This is just one example of a general truth: problematic family relationships can cause significant academic difficulties for our students.

assumption question requires statement that is required for the argument or conclusion to be true. So option C is irrelevant as it doesnt affect conclusion in any way whereas option B strengthens the conclusion by confirming that reason is not other way possible i.e. GPA decline is not the reason of argument .

#If you like my post , please encourage me by giving Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 58

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2017, 03:14
Could someone please explain what the question about? I understood the argument fully but I got it wrong because I fail to identify the type of the question.
Thanks

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3636 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2017, 04:46
nawaf52 wrote:
Could someone please explain what the question about? I understood the argument fully but I got it wrong because I fail to identify the type of the question.
Thanks

This is a typical GMAT CR structure for assumption type questions. The generalisation of this structure is as follows:

Observation: A and B are seen to happen together.
Conclusion: A causes B

Assumption in the above conclusion: B does not cause A.

In the subject question,
A = Problematic family relation (argument with parents)
B = Academic difficulty (poor GPA).

Kudos [?]: 3636 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 314

Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2017, 10:05
this is causal relationship.

cause ----> effect

no effect -----> no cause (cause reversal)

and answer is B

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 314

Re: Student Advisor: One of our exchange students faced multiple   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2017, 10:05

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 40 posts ] 

Student Advisor: One of our exchange students faced multiple

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap