Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: Student Budgets - how much do you spend going out/month? [#permalink]
rca215 wrote:
nink wrote:
rca215 wrote:
3) Alcoholics. Generous Budget. :cry:

100% agree rca. Everytime I meet up with fellow Yale admits, my alcohol consumption and its related expense balloons up to a ridiculous level.....God knows what's gonna happen once I have to hang out with these guys everyday once the school starts. :-D

Almost halfway through my first full month, I'm 48% over budget. :shock:

On non-rent/utilities/non-ordinary items, I've spent $45/day so far. This is unsustainable.

Its best to throw away your b-school budget. Ignorance is bliss.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Steel wrote:

I can see that already...I've already caught myself saying "what's another $XXX when I'm already going into debt $100K+?"
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
maverick2011 wrote:
Steel wrote:

I can see that already...I've already caught myself saying "what's another $XXX when I'm already going into debt $100K+?"

I was speaking with a friend of mine who just finished his first year at bschool, he pretty much said "take your estimated budget, add 10k, that's your real budget." Sigh. :shock:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
isa wrote:
maverick2011 wrote:
Steel wrote:

I was speaking with a friend of mine who just finished his first year at bschool, he pretty much said "take your estimated budget, add 10k, that's your real budget." Sigh. :shock:

Actually, that makes me feel better because I was thinking something along those lines.

If you add up all the extras like club fees, going out for drinks/food, maybe some cash for equipment (say if you want to take up rock climbing or hockey) and then take advantage of the opportunity to travel, I could see it coming to an extra $10K.

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
refurb wrote:
Actually, that makes me feel better because I was thinking something along those lines.

If you add up all the extras like club fees, going out for drinks/food, maybe some cash for equipment (say if you want to take up rock climbing or hockey) and then take advantage of the opportunity to travel, I could see it coming to an extra $10K.

RF

Another suggestion he had was to avoid frequently dining out with friends, since in most non-fastfood/diner restaurants, each meal can quickly set you back about $30. Three or four times a week, that's easily a $100 right there.
Current Student
Send PM
isa wrote:
Another suggestion he had was to avoid frequently dining out with friends, since in most non-fastfood/diner restaurants, each meal can quickly set you back about $30. Three or four times a week, that's easily a $100 right there.

I think food and drink are the big killers. Each time isn't a lot of money, but it can add up fast!

Unfortunately the place I've got isn't that great for inviting people over, but grabbing a few pizzas and a case of beer and heading over to someone's place can be a lot cheaper and sometimes more fun!

RF
Current Student
 Q49  V41
Send PM
isa wrote:
refurb wrote:

RF

haha - definitely easy in the Fall with all the free meals. Winter you're so busy with recruiting, dinner out isn't going to happen as often. Spring you're going to be more than happy to spend that $100 on the great restaurants of Chicago (even formed a dinner club with friends this Spring to do just that). It was such a success (though obviously a weight on the wallet) that we're continuing it this year.
Current Student
Send PM
I wonder if student spending goes up or down over time?

Personally speaking, I would be a lot more willing to spend cash if I knew I had already secured a post-MBA job.

I would be too scared to spend $100 on a dinner if I didn't even know if I would have a job when I finished school!

RF
Current Student
 Q49  V41
Send PM
refurb wrote:

Personally speaking, I would be a lot more willing to spend cash if I knew I had already secured a post-MBA job.

I would be too scared to spend $100 on a dinner if I didn't even know if I would have a job when I finished school!

RF

haha - no no no - $100 on three dinners.... much more reasonable (saving the $100 dinners for when I get that sweet post-MBA job :) )
Current Student
Send PM
Steel wrote:
refurb wrote:

RF

haha - no no no - $100 on three dinners.... much more reasonable (saving the $100 dinners for when I get that sweet post-MBA job :) )

Oh!! That makes me feel better! :oops:

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
or learn to cook :)
It's quite feasible to knock out restaurant quality food in 30 mins (or less depending on what you are making).
Just requires you to teach yourself the art of the pallette (knowing what ingredients blend well together) and the basic cullinary skills (e.g. how to seal meat, resting food to let it cook through without making it rubbery, what temperatures cause what type of flavours, the impact on flavour through roasting, poaching, frying etc.)

Obviously helps if you enjoy cooking.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
$500 per month on going out seems pretty high to me. Obviously a lot of this will depend on where you are going to school. Your budget will be a lot higher in Boston or New York compared to Evanston or Ann Arbor. Remember, you don't have to go out every night. Or go to expensive dinners if you don't want to.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Schools: Tuck '17
GPA: 2.7
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Pre-party at home with cheap booze ;)
GMAT Club Bot