GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 02 Jul 2020, 08:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Student: To improve business you should put up a sign offering a speci

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
Student: To improve business you should put up a sign offering a speci  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2020, 20:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

96% (00:59) correct 4% (01:12) wrong based on 80 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Competition Mode Question

Student: To improve business you should put up a sign offering a special deal of 12 croissants for only $3.

Baker: That would not help my business. I need to sell more of all of my products, not just more croissants.

Which of the following, if true, most weakens the Baker's objection?

(A) A special offer may cause a customer to think that the product being advertised is the only one supplied by the company.
(B) Bakeries can be affected greatly by changes in the price of flour.
(C) Some marketing experts believe that lowering the price of a product can create a negative image amongst consumers.
(D) Special offers attract customers who would not otherwise enter a store and who could potentially buy products not included in the offer.
(E) Running a successful bakery requires good culinary and business knowledge.

Re: Student: To improve business you should put up a sign offering a speci  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2020, 22:03
A - supports the baker's objection, hence it is INCORRECT

B - Argument is IRRELEVANT

C - weakens student's argument but doesn't impact Baker's argument

D- supports student's argument and weakens Baker's objection- lowering croissant prices attracts more customers thus increases potential sales of other products - CORRECT

E - supports Baker's profession but doesnt affect his objection in any way
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 580 Q42 V27
CAT Tests
Re: Student: To improve business you should put up a sign offering a speci  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2020, 22:05
Ans: D
A) A special offer may cause a customer to think that the product being advertised is the only one supplied by the company. strengthener.
(B) Bakeries can be affected greatly by changes in the price of flour.out of scope.
(C) Some marketing experts believe that lowering the price of a product can create a negative image amongst consumers.strengthener
(D) Special offers attract customers who would not otherwise enter a store and who could potentially buy products not included in the offer.correct
(E) Running a successful bakery requires good culinary and business knowledge.out of scope
IESE School Moderator
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2020, 22:10
D.

We have to think about what extra information we can bring in here to weaken the statement made by the baker.

Baker's assumption: offer on croissants will only sell croissants, what if people coming to shop for the croissants help in bringing the customers to the shop and they end up buying other products as well who otherwise would not have came to shop.

Let's see answer statements:

A: this will strengthen the baker's argument
B. out of scope
C. Irrelevant
D. Matched with the analysis. Let's hold this.
E. Irrelevant

So D

Cheers,
NJ
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Schools: Sloan '22, ISB, IIM
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 4
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2020, 22:37
Quote:
Student: To improve business you should put up a sign offering a special deal of 12 croissants for only $3.

Baker: That would not help my business. I need to sell more of all of my products, not just more croissants.

(A) A special offer may cause a customer to think that the product being advertised is the only one supplied by the company.
This strengthens baker's objection, implying only people who want to eat croissants will likely enter the store

This is not relevant to the reasoning

(C) Some marketing experts believe that lowering the price of a product can create a negative image amongst consumers.
This also strengthens the bakers objection. if overall image of the store decreases then overall revenue might be impacted

(D) Special offers attract customers who would not otherwise enter a store and who could potentially buy products not included in the offer.
This implies more customers may enter the store and may end up buying stuff other than that on offer. this will drive bakers' overall sales to higher figures

this principle is not relevant to baker's objection
Ans: D
McCombs School Moderator
G
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2020, 22:57

(A) A special offer may cause a customer to think that the product being advertised is the only one supplied by the company. -- Kind of strengthens baker's argument
(B) Bakeries can be affected greatly by changes in the price of flour. -- Not at all linked to the argument in the passage
(C) Some marketing experts believe that lowering the price of a product can create a negative image amongst consumers. -- strengthens baker's argument as well
(D) Special offers attract customers who would not otherwise enter a store and who could potentially buy products not included in the offer. -- CORRECT, this increases the advertisement to store visit ratio, thus increasing the no. of customers interested in different products once they visit the store, a scenario which would not happened, had the baker not advertised her croissant.
(E) Running a successful bakery requires good culinary and business knowledge. -- IRRELEVANT detail about bakery business not pertaining to the argument at hand.

So, it should be D.
SVP
SVP
D

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2020, 04:26
Quote:

arg
[s] inc business by discounting croissant
[b] need to sell variety not one type

strg
ans (D) discount to one type can incentive other product purchases
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2020, 09:46

Stimulus: Student suggests to the baker that to improve business he should put up the sign 3 dollars for 12 croissants.
Baker: The baker states that this suggestion will not help as the baker needs to sell more of all his products not just croissants.

IMO D : consumers who see the offer will be attracted to the shop and could take anything that they or see like. If the offer would not be there then these consumers might not have visited the shop.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2020, 10:24
In my opinion answer should be D because all other options are not weakening the Bker’s argument
A: Strengthening the Baker’s argument
B,C and E are out of scope
D looks fine as it weakens the Baker’s argument by giving a new or other perspective.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2020, 11:35
Ans Could be D , IMO.

Conclusion By Baker : A special deal for croissants would not help his business.
Given
He need to sell more of all of my products, not just more croissants.

We need to weaken B's objection .
In what scenario A special deal for croissants will help B's business.
What if after getting a special deal about croissants People will start notice B's store and come inside the store . In that process , this can help to sell more products. Any option in this thinking will weaken B's conclusion .

-- This is strengthening B's conclusion . So Out ..
-- This is out of scope to B's conclusion . So Out ..

-- This is strengthening B's conclusion . So Out ..

[i] -- Exactly this is what we came in our analysis . This is weakening B's conclusion .

-- This is out of scope to B's conclusion . So Out ..

The more realistic you are during your practice, the more confident you will be during the CAT.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 620 Q45 V31
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2020, 12:33
Baker's objection is that selling only crossiant at special price won't help much with overall product selling
we need to weaken this.

Quote:

This will support baker's claim rather than weakening it. A is out

Quote:

Irrelevant. No effect on baker's claim. B is out

Quote:

This will indirectly support baker's claim. C is out

Quote:

Yes, It says offer will attract customer to buy items not included in offer. i.e. items other than crossiant also will sell. D is correct

Quote:
(E) Running a successful bakery requires good culinary and business knowledge

Totally irrelevant. E is out
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2020, 13:09
D.

Advertising the croissants could bring more people into the store, and these people might buy other products as well.

GMAT Motivation: "The GMAT never sleeps. She waits in bed for you, one eye open. And if you are not careful, one day you wake up and she's gone."
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2020, 01:20

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Incorrect.

This is a Conclusion Weakening question in the Dialog format. You are asked to choose the answer choice which weakens the baker's objection (or strengthens the student's suggestion):

Since this answer choice shows a negative side of a special offer, it does not weaken the baker's objection, but instead, strengthens it. If the offer causes customers to think that the baker only sells croissants, then it will not help him sell bread, cookies, or any other products.

Incorrect.

The data in this answer choice neither weakens nor strengthens the baker's objection. The price of flour may be an important expense of the bakery, but it does not favor offering, or not offering, a special deal on croissants. Remember, your task is to weaken the baker's objection or to strengthen the student's suggestion.

Incorrect.

This answer choice presents a negative outcome of offering a special deal. Since the student is suggesting a special price on croissants, this statement, therefore, weakens the student's suggestion. However, we are supposed to be weakening the baker's objection.

This answer choice weakens the baker's objection. The baker claims that if he implements the special offer, he will only sell more croissants. This statement tells us that such an offer can, in fact, increase the sales of all products in the bakery, and, therefore, directly undermines this claim.

Incorrect.

This answer choice neither weakens nor strengthens the baker's objection. Although it may be true, this statement is too general and does not relate directly to either side of the argument.

Attachment:
2020-05-27_1318.png
2020-05-27_1318.png [ 32.77 KiB | Viewed 331 times ]

Re: Student: To improve business you should put up a sign offering a speci   [#permalink] 27 May 2020, 01:20

Student: To improve business you should put up a sign offering a speci

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics