It is currently 23 Sep 2017, 04:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Students in the metropolitan school district lack math

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7611 [0], given: 360

WE: Education (Education)
Re: Expression [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2010, 05:46
(D) are lacking so much in math skills as to be difficult to absorb into a city's economy becoming

D has the problem of using an unidiomatic expression - so much x ....as to be y.

At best the right idiom could be so x as to be y, with out the word much. Some people even object to this

Difficult to absorb is also a problem. Difficult to be absorbed is a better expression

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7611 [0], given: 360

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 94 [1], given: 7

Re: students [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2010, 16:17
This post received
KUDOS
seekmba wrote:
can someone please explain why D is wrong? I thought "city's economy" is better than "city economy".

Students in the metropolitan school district lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming ever more dependent on information-based industries.

(A) lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming
(B) lack math skills to a large enough degree that they will be difficult to absorb into a city’s economy that becomes
(C) lack of math skills is so large as to be difficult to absorb them into a city’s economy that becomes
(D) are lacking so much in math skills as to be difficult to absorb into a city’s economy becoming
(E) are so lacking in math skills that it will be difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming

D is wrong because "are lacking so much" is unidiomatic correct way of saying it is "so lacking in" also "as to be" is not idiomatic either. Also when you using "so" to suggest exten - ot needs to be followed by "that" to complete the thought. Hope it helps.

Kudos [?]: 94 [1], given: 7

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 181 [2], given: 8

Re: tense, idiom [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2011, 04:02
This post received
KUDOS
whichscore wrote:
Students in the metropolitan school district lack math skills to such a large degree as to
make it difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming
ever more dependent on
information-based industries.
(A) lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to absorb them into a
city economy becoming
(B) lack math skills to a large enough degree that they will be difficult to absorb into a
city’s economy that becomes
(C) lack of math skills is so large as to be difficult to absorb them into a city’s economy
that becomes
(D) are lacking so much in math skills as to be difficult to absorb into a city’s economy
becoming
(E) are so lacking in math skills that it will be difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming

A. Such is used here as an intensifier.So Large is redundant...2. should be city's economy
B 1. large enough degree is awkward.. enough is misplaced 2. simple present (becomes) indicates fact was true before, is true now, and will be true in the future , thus changes the meaning of original sentence
C.simple present (becomes) indicates fact was true before, is true now, and will be true in the future , thus changes the meaning of original sentence
D. ABSORB is a transitive verb thus requires an object
E.should be correct

Kudos [?]: 181 [2], given: 8

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 581 [0], given: 36

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2011, 04:36
The answer is E - the Idiom "So X that Y" has been used here.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 581 [0], given: 36

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 208 [0], given: 20

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2011, 08:50
Isn't E changing the meaning?
'it will be difficult'

(D) are lacking so much in math skills as to be difficult to absorb into a city’s economy becoming
can some one explain why D is incorrect? is it because of 'to be difficult'

Kudos [?]: 208 [0], given: 20

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2011, 04:39
Looking at the end of the answer choices, is'nt "city’s economy that becomes" correct compared to "city economy becoming"..

I mean, will the city's economy become "ever more dependent on information-based industries" or is it that the lack of lager degree of maths skills will lead to "Students" into "becoming more dependent on information-based industries".

Please explain, in this question stem, whom/what does "more dependent on information-based industries" modify. Does it modify the "city's economy" or the "students".

I had understood the question to be modifying the cit's economy, and had hence narrowed down to choices B & C, only based on this understanding, although the rest of the wording was not sounding right.

Whenever I have seen myself going wrong in SC, is mostly on such occasions, where I have not been able to dissect the question stem correctly, in identifying the clauses are modifying what/whom? In such cases I find myself unable to resolve such ambiguity. :(

Please help.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Math Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 2009 [0], given: 376

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2011, 05:00
Ritg wrote:
Looking at the end of the answer choices, is'nt "city’s economy that becomes" correct compared to "city economy becoming"..

I mean, will the city's economy become "ever more dependent on information-based industries" or is it that the lack of lager degree of maths skills will lead to "Students" into "becoming more dependent on information-based industries".

Please explain, in this question stem, whom/what does "more dependent on information-based industries" modify. Does it modify the "city's economy" or the "students".

I had understood the question to be modifying the cit's economy, and had hence narrowed down to choices B & C, only based on this understanding, although the rest of the wording was not sounding right.

Whenever I have seen myself going wrong in SC, is mostly on such occasions, where I have not been able to dissect the question stem correctly, in identifying the clauses are modifying what/whom? In such cases I find myself unable to resolve such ambiguity. :(

Please help.

Here's what I think:
economy becoming- here becoming is modifying economy because there is no comma before becoming.
economy that becomes - same as above.

Others may confirm.

~fluke

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 2009 [0], given: 376

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 36

Schools: Wharton,MIT, Tepper, Kelly,
WE 1: 7 years- Service Managament, poject Management, Business Consultant- Retail
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2011, 01:22
Students in the metropolitan school district lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming ever more dependent on information-based industries.

City economy becoming .. is correct as this means it happening right now...becomes is incorrect as it canges the meaning - this eliminates B & C ..
Correct idioms ..So.....that - it eliminates a & D ..
so ..as to & so much ...as to .. incorrect idioms as per GMAT...

Correct - E ...

(A) lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming
(B) lack math skills to a large enough degree that they will be difficult to absorb into a city’s economy that becomes
(C) lack of math skills is so large as to be difficult to absorb them into a city’s economy that becomes
(D) are lacking so much in math skills as to be difficult to absorb into a city’s economy becoming -Incorrect idiom

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 36

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 15

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2011, 05:45
I guess C ,which is wrong.I had noticed the error in the original sentence,but can not read the D,E(goof).
The error u have noticed in the original is idiomatic ,on the basis u can easily eliminate options.
A-Such .......as to(unidiomatic--it should be so(ad.)as to
B-So...that or Ad...To /for (construction is correct in GMAT not enough that.
C-idiomatic uses is correct,but wrong tense(simple present).it must be progressive
D-long clause need that (in D-seems ambiguous )
E- concise and idiomatic correct

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 15

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 33

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Re: Alter intent [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2011, 19:53
I think in E, it is used to postpone the subject. It's not referring to anything. OA? Is it E? I am locked down between A and E.

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 33

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 37

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2011, 22:36
+ 1 for E.

The pronoun "it" is a "placeholder it". According to MGMAT SC guide, "placeholder it " do not have a antecedent. eg

It is good to excercise daily. (it here does not refer to any noun).

Crick

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 7

Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2011, 23:33
Just because of idiom (So A that B) I find 'E' as the best answer, However, I am having one basic doubt in the following sentences (sunbtituting original sentence with with Option E)

Students in the metropolitan school district are so lacking in math skills that it will be difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming ever more dependent on information-based industries.

Shouldn't there be any conjunction between "economy and "becoming". I find it very difficult to understand what is becoming dependent on information-based industries. Is it "economy" or or everything after 'that' (it will be difficult to absorb them into a city economy).

Am not a Native speaker of the English, so I may not be familiar with these kind of Sentences. Please help

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-guide-to-the-official-guide-13-for-gmat-review-134210.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2011, 01:24
You yourself answered the question.

"....becoming ever more dependent on information-based industries" modifies city economy.

Students becoming dependent on industries would not make much sense.

Crick

Manager
Manager

Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2011, 05:02
yaa, I agree, however I didn't mean to say that there is any ambiguity, I just find this little awkward not to have any break before the modifying clause. & that means two independent clauses are joined without any conjunction:

Clause-1 : "it will be difficult to absorb them into a city economy"
Clause-2 : "(economy is) becoming ever more dependent on information-based industries"

if I try to frame a similar sentence
It is very difficult to live in Atlanta becoming ever more crowded

May be its just me who is finding it little awkward.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-guide-to-the-official-guide-13-for-gmat-review-134210.html

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1117 [0], given: 39

Re: SC: Students in the metropolitan school [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2011, 10:30
walker wrote:
Students in the metropolitan school district lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to adsorb them into a city economy becoming ever more dependent on information-based industries.

(A) lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to adsorb
them into a city economy becoming

(B) lack math skills to a large enough degree that they will be difficult to adsorb into a city's economy that becomes

(C) lack math skills is so large as to be difficult to adsorb them into a city's economy that becomes

(D) are lacking so much in math skills as to be difficult to adsorb into a city's economy becoming

(E) are so lacking in math skills that it will be difficult to adsorb them into a city economy becoming

The sentence expressing an ongoing situation (economy becoming), so present progressive (are lacking) is required. Thus, A, B and C are out. Furthermore, in D incorrect idiom so much as to be is used so D is out too. In E so ...... that idiom is used to meaning clearer. E is the best Choice.

Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Kudos [?]: 1117 [0], given: 39

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 283 [2], given: 7

Students in the metropolitan school district lack math [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2012, 23:01
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
103. Students in the metropolitan school district lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming ever more dependent on information-based industries.

(B) lack math skills to a large enough degree that they will be difficult to absorb into a city's economy that becomes
(C) lack of math skills is so large as to be difficult to absorb them into a city's economy that becomes
(D) are lacking so much in math skills as to be difficult to absorb into a city's economy becoming

[Reveal] Spoiler:
My answer is A

In E Lacking is used as a noun rather than as a verb and made parallel to becoming which is a verb is that correct ??

*mvictor - edited (added a spoiler and highlighted the underlined portion)
please, put anything that might spoil the process of solving the question for other people under a spoiler.

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Kudos [?]: 283 [2], given: 7

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 62 [1], given: 25

GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
Reviews Badge
Re: Students in the metropolitan school district lack math [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2012, 00:07
This post received
KUDOS
103. Students in the metropolitan school district lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to
absorb them into a city economy becoming
ever more dependent on information-based industries.
(A) lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to absorb them into a city economy
becoming Meaning. Their lack of math skills does not directly cause the difficulty.
(B) lack math skills to a large enough degree that they will be difficult to absorb into a city's economy that
becomes "Large enough" changes the meaning of the sentence. There is no threshold implied.
(C) lack of math skills is so large as to be difficult to absorb them into a city's economy that becomes "So...as" is incorrect. Should be "so...that"
(D) are lacking so much in math skills as to be difficult to absorb into a city's economy becoming "So...as" is incorrect. Should be "so...that"
(E) are so lacking in math skills that it will be difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming Ok

Kudos [?]: 62 [1], given: 25

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [2], given: 18

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 530 Q42 V20
GMAT 2: 540 Q43 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q48 V35
WE: Business Development (Hospitality and Tourism)

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2012, 01:47
This post received
KUDOS
A - such a large degree as - wrong idiom used
B/C - that becomes - changes the meaning as in it is not happening now as we speak.
D - So X ... as to be - wrong idiom

Lacking is right in E as it speaks of something that is happening now or an ongoing action and hence the present participle.

IMO E.

KUDOS - if my post has helped you.

Kudos [?]: 16 [2], given: 18

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2012, 06:13
E is the winner.

A classic idiom problem. such...as... vs so...that... . such...as... is generally wrong to when used to indicate extremity

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 27

Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V47
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2012, 08:09
crick20002002 wrote:
E is the winner.

A classic idiom problem. such...as... vs so...that... . such...as... is generally wrong to when used to indicate extremity

"are so lacking" doesn't sound unidiomatic?

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 27

Re: Students in the metropolitan school district lack math   [#permalink] 17 Mar 2012, 08:09

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 70 posts ]