It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 22:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Students in the metropolitan school district lack math

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 4672 [3], given: 360

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Students in the metropolitan school district lack math [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2007, 01:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (00:57) correct 54% (01:15) wrong based on 958 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Students in the metropolitan school district lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming ever more dependent on information-based industries.

(A) lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming

(B) lack math skills to a large enough degree that they will be difficult to absorb into a city’s economy that becomes

(C) lack of math skills is so large as to be difficult to absorb them into a city’s economy that becomes

(D) are lacking so much in math skills as to be difficult to absorb into a city’s economy becoming

(E) are so lacking in math skills that it will be difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 4672 [3], given: 360

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Students in the metropolitan school [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2007, 02:04
[quote="walker"]Students in the metropolitan school district lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to adsorb them into a city economy becoming ever more dependent on information-based industries.

(A) lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to adsorb
them into a city economy becoming

(B) lack math skills to a large enough degree that they will be difficult to adsorb into a city's economy that becomes

(C) lack math skills is so large as to be difficult to adsorb them into a city's economy that becomes

(D) are lacking so much in math skills as to be difficult to adsorb into a city's economy becoming

(E) are so lacking in math skills that it will be difficult to adsorb them into a city economy becoming

A make more sense than any other answer.

B misses a term such as "such" in order to let the consequence valid. C says "so as to", a bad construction for the gmat. D has the same problem of C. moreover ...to absorb whom? E could be confusing (them?)

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2007, 13:15
I think the answer is D. Here the sentence tests "SO AS TO" usage.
All others are wrong. Any other takers?

--gregspirited

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 260 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2007, 06:56
This post was
BOOKMARKED
walker wrote:
Students in the metropolitan school district lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to adsorb them into a city economy becoming ever more dependent on information-based industries.

(B) lack math skills to a large enough degree that they will be difficult to adsorb into a city's economy that becomes

(C) lack math skills is so large as to be difficult to adsorb them into a city's economy that becomes

(D) are lacking so much in math skills as to be difficult to adsorb into a city's economy becoming

(E) are so lacking in math skills that it will be difficult to adsorb them into a city economy becoming

Between A & E for me. I pick E because in A the idiom is 'such X as to Y' where as to my knowledge the correct idiom is 'so X as to Y'. E correctly uses the idiom 'so X that Y'.

Kudos [?]: 260 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2007, 09:09
walker wrote:
Students in the metropolitan school district lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to adsorb them into a city economy becoming ever more dependent on information-based industries.

Will go for 'E'

In D - there is no pronoun or noun in the clause as to be difficult to adsorb into a city's economy becoming
absorb them would have been better

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 4672 [0], given: 360

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2007, 10:53
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Thanks. OA is E.

SC is from OG.

In D OG says: so much....as to be difficult is not a correct idiomatic expression.

Kudos [?]: 4672 [0], given: 360

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 0

Students in the metropolitan school district lack math [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2009, 03:40
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Students in the metropolitan school district lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming ever more dependent on information-based industries.

(A) lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming
(B) lack math skills to a large enough degree that they will be difficult to absorb into a city’s economy that becomes
(C) lack of math skills is so large as to be difficult to absorb them into a city’s economy that becomes
(D) are lacking so much in math skills as to be difficult to absorb into a city’s economy becoming
(E) are so lacking in math skills that it will be difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming

Kudos [?]: 8 [1], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 17

Re: students [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2009, 08:07
Not sure about the reasoning but I feel C is correct.

(A) lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming (Seem awkward to me)
(B) lack math skills to a large enough degree that they will be difficult to absorb into a city’s economy that becomes (Seem awkward to me)
(C) lack of math skills is so large as to be difficult to absorb them into a city’s economy that becomes (My choice for correct answer)
(D) are lacking so much in math skills as to be difficult to absorb into a city’s economy becoming (Meaning changed)
(E) are so lacking in math skills that it will be difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming (Meaning changed)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2009, 09:51
Options A, B and E have pronoun reference errors
Option D, meaning changed

Option C seems right

OA please?

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 11

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2009, 11:25
bipolarbear wrote:
I go with option E. As before, PLEASE UNDERLINE THE SECTION NEEDING TO BE CHANGED.

Option E says students are lacking in math skills itself, whereas the question somewhat says they have math skills but it is not upto mark to make them compititive in city economy. Not sure if it makes sense but you can say it's more GMATish :wink:

So I strongly believe E is incorrect choice.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 256 [0], given: 12

GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2009, 11:49
humans wrote:
bipolarbear wrote:
I go with option E. As before, PLEASE UNDERLINE THE SECTION NEEDING TO BE CHANGED.

Option E says students are lacking in math skills itself, whereas the question somewhat says they have math skills but it is not upto mark to make them compititive in city economy. Not sure if it makes sense but you can say it's more GMATish :wink:

So I strongly believe E is incorrect choice.

I stand by my answer choice of E. There isn't much of a difference between are so lacking math skills and lack math skills to such a large degree. A is way too complicated and uses unnecessary words.

O.A please?

Kudos [?]: 256 [0], given: 12

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2009, 14:14
This post received
KUDOS
E. Them only refers to people. E avoids pronoun reference error created by they and wordiness of choice A.

Kudos [?]: 12 [1], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2009, 11:06
The Sentence resembles an action happening (economy becoming )so the use of present progressive tense "are lacking " is preferred to rather simple present "lack"

Also the usage of right idiomatic expression "so x that" as in option E makes it a preferable choice.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 7

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2010, 08:24
(A) lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming-
(B) lack math skills to a large enough degree that they will be difficult to absorb into a city’s economy that becomes--
(C) lack of math skills is so large as to be difficult to absorb them into a city’s economy that becomes---"Student in the metropolitan school district" does not go with "lack of math skills"
(E) are so lacking in math skills that it will be difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming---Correct

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2010, 10:08
I would also go with E. Unfortunate but true I could get the answer on this SC in under 30 secs. And mostly do on all questions of SC on the club. But whenever I attempt some standardized CAT test my answers never reach this accuracy level. Why? Are these questions that are posted here easy?

Posted from my mobile device

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ros.
Nice Post + Some help + Lucid solution = Kudos

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do | Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 793 [0], given: 6

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2010, 15:21
can someone please explain why D is wrong? I thought "city's economy" is better than "city economy".

Kudos [?]: 793 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2010, 20:41

(E) are so lacking in math skills that it will be difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming >>> correct answer

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 2

Re: Expression [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2010, 04:59
Tough qs..atleast frm my persp...
I would go with B for this though there seems to be nothing wrong with E
Choosing B over E since B is more active than E...although i know it is incorrect .. :)

Can anyone point out the flaw in my reasoning????

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 2

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8191 [1], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2010, 05:24
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
B has two problems. 1.- lack to a large enough degree - is not an acceptable form of idiom; 2. they will be difficult to absorb do the students absorb or beabsorbed ? – they will be difficult to be absorbed - will be better.

In E is better because; 1. Apt idiom used. - so lacking that -. 2. - A city economy becoming- describes the ongoing activity better than –becomes - in B. The - it – in - it will be - is a place holder and hence needs no reference,

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8191 [1], given: 364

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 3

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2010, 22:11
daagh wrote:
B has two problems. 1.- lack to a large enough degree - is not an acceptable form of idiom; 2. they will be difficult to absorb do the students absorb or beabsorbed ? – they will be difficult to be absorbed - will be better.

In E is better because; 1. Apt idiom used. - so lacking that -. 2. - A city economy becoming- describes the ongoing activity better than –becomes - in B. The - it – in - it will be - is a place holder and hence needs no reference,

But in case of E, the placement of "so" does not seem to be quite correct to me. What is the problem with D?

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 3

Re: Expression   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2010, 22:11

Go to page    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 70 posts ] 

Students in the metropolitan school district lack math

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap