GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 16 Feb 2020, 22:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Students in the metropolitan school district lack math skills to such

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
D
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Students in the metropolitan school district lack math skills to such  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2020, 07:32
This question popped up on our Ask Me Anything About SC thread, and I'm reposting it here, just in case it helps anybody:

Aviral1995 wrote:
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma please help me with this question..
how can we identify which idiom is correct to use..i am really confused

https://gmatclub.com/forum/students-in- ... 79092.html

The following dialogue might help explain the idiom:

New Yorker #1: My bedroom is small.
    New Yorker #2: How small is your bedroom?
    New Yorker #1: My bedroom is so small that I have to sleep with my feet hanging out of the window!

The idiom in the final sentence is: "... so ______ that ______." That's the same idiom used in the correct answer choice, as explained in this post and others in this thread.

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Experts' Global Representative
P
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Re: Students in the metropolitan school district lack math skills to such  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2020, 06:21
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-

walker wrote:
Students in the metropolitan school district lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming ever more dependent on information-based industries.

(A) lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming

(B) lack math skills to a large enough degree that they will be difficult to absorb into a city’s economy that becomes

(C) lack of math skills is so large as to be difficult to absorb them into a city’s economy that becomes

(D) are lacking so much in math skills as to be difficult to absorb into a city’s economy becoming

(E) are so lacking in math skills that it will be difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming

Choice A: This answer choice fails to employ the correct idiom form "So...X...as to Y", as it uses the phrase "lack math skills to such a large degree as to make". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice B: This answer choice utilizes the phrase "large enough degree", which is not an acceptable idiom form. Additionally, this answer choice also utilizes the future tense verb "becomes" although the sentence implies that the city's growing dependency on information-based services is a currently ongoing process. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice C: This answer choice inappropriately uses the adjective "large" to describe a "lack of math skills". This answer choice also shares the tense-related error found in Option B. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice D: This answer choice repeats the same idiom-related error found in Option A through its use of the phrase "are lacking so much in math skills as to be". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice E: This answer choice employs the correct idiom form by using the phrase "so lacking in math skills that it will be difficult to absorb" and maintains the correct tense by utilizing the present participle "becoming". Thus, this answer choice is correct.

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Use of So As To on GMAT", you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Re: Students in the metropolitan school district lack math skills to such   [#permalink] 20 Jan 2020, 06:21

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 22 posts ] 

Students in the metropolitan school district lack math skills to such

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics