Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
Re: Students were vomiting on themselves ..... [#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
Unfortunately a student made the bad decision of putting out an email that was very wrong, probably as a scare tactic. Do you think an entire school and class needs to be unfairly painted as a bunch of people out of Animal House. Personally I wish that for every event where people don't meet a certain code of professionalism results in consequences but then again I also would have a much stricter version of how people should behave. If you act out of line at an event like this you should be banned from social events.

POLL: Who made the worst decision?

1. The students who behaved inappropriately at the Field Museum
2. The student who blew the incident out of proportion

What do you guys think? I vote for (2).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
msday86 wrote:
POLL: Who made the worst decision?

1. The students who behaved inappropriately at the Field Museum
2. The student who blew the incident out of proportion

What do you guys think? I vote for (2).

Without a doubt at this point its who wrote the email. Yet hindsight is 20/20 and had she known this would cause this issue there is no way she would have sent out what she did. I think it definitely would have been handled in a way where only accurate information would have been put out and most likely not via email. Its unfair too that she is being blamed by many people here since it was the decision of the 2nd year student body leadership to send it...they all agreed but she is being vilified as sending it out. I think it got leaked originally because so many of people found it hillarious that the leadership was saying all those things when it was nothing like what happened. So it probably went out to friends at other schools as a joke but after getting forwarded a few times the fact that it was completely false got ignored.

However, had a few students not been overly drunk then they wouldnt have felt the need to say anything. So their actions directly lead to #2...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Personally, I think its the media that is to blame. The newspaper and TV organizations didn't do their fact checking and put an unbelievable amount of focus on an event that was not particularly newsworthy.

Our economy is in the worst collapse since the Great Depression, we have a presidential election in a week, the City of Chicago has become the #1 city in America for total murders, there are 200,000 displaced refugees in the Congo this week, and yet the front page of the Chicago Sun-Times is a poorly researched article on 5 or 6 people who got a little too drunk at a business school ball. I don't condone the actions of the people who got too drunk, but really, is this something worth national media attention? Especially given the other things going on in the world?

On the media blowing things out of proportion, I saw an interview on TV today of two supposed "grad students" talking about the event as if they'd been there. They ended up being two undergrads who were making up the stories.

I'm really concerned about the state of our media organizations today. With all the important issues to tackle in Chicago, throughout the US, and around the world, and this is what consumes national attention?

Shame on our media organizations and shame on us for tolerating it.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
Steel wrote:
I'm really concerned about the state of our media organizations today. With all the important issues to tackle in Chicago, throughout the US, and around the world, and this is what consumes national attention?

Shame on our media organizations and shame on us for tolerating it.

I agree with you personally. However, all media are businesses, just like GE or Apple or Microsoft. Their goal is to make money by selling as many papers/magazines as possible. The future business leaders of the world throwing patron shots at Sue the T-rex is simply too good a story to pass up.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Well, I don't want to go any further than I wrote in the B-school life section, I received the e-mail that 1st year people received at Kellogg and I just can't believe that people were doing that, though I don't discard anything nowadays. That's the price schools will pay for accepting some "extravagant and young" people in my opinion. And perhaps the worst part of this whole issue is those Kellogg students who fwded the email they received.

Move on guys, one way or another, Kellogg is VERY good school, period.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2