It is currently 16 Oct 2017, 19:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Studies have found that deaf children

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 219 [1], given: 56

Schools: McCombs '17
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Studies have found that deaf children [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2014, 06:11
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (01:03) correct 37% (01:01) wrong based on 509 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Studies have found that deaf children from American families who identify themselves as culturally deaf, and use sign language, are generally on a par with hearing children in terms of reading and writing, because they have been exposed to language since birth.

A and use sign language, are generally
B using sign language, are generally
C use sign language, and are generally
D and using sign language are generally
E and use sign language, generally
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 219 [1], given: 56

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 412 [3], given: 56

Re: Studies have found that deaf children [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2014, 06:46
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Oh wow.. Nice question. When i started to break the sentence, only then did I find the actual mistake.

Striking out the modifiers (prep. phrases), we have

Studies have found that deaf children from American families who identify themselves as culturally deaf, and use sign language, are generally on a par with hearing children in terms of reading and writing, because they have been exposed to language since birth.

Simply, the statement says, 'deaf children are generally on par with hearing children, because ....
The construction is of type "subject + linking verb + object ..." which is correct.

Sounds good.
the verb+ing followed by comma modifies the entire phrase preceding it; which is wrong. Also, not parallel.
and should introduce an independent clause or introduce the end element of a list. Both are not happening here.
identify and using are not parallel.
linking verb / main verb missing.

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Kudos [?]: 412 [3], given: 56

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 52 [1], given: 21

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2014, 08:07
This post received
KUDOS
anceer wrote:

1) deaf children should have ONE valid VERB
2) Identify and Use should be in parallel

A and use sign language, are generally Correct
B using sign language, are generally not parallel
C use sign language, and are generally due to comma before it , "use sign language" is run on sentence without a conjunction
D and using sign language are generally use and identify not in parallel
E and use sign language, generally deaf children do not have a verb

-Sameer
Press Kudos if the post helped

Kudos [?]: 52 [1], given: 21

Current Student
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.

Kudos [?]: 1845 [0], given: 229

GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2014, 10:25
I have few doubts in A :

1. children who identify themselves as culturally deaf, and use sign language --- why comma is separating parallel verbs identify and use; sentence is not presenting list of more than 3 items also not joining 2 ICs.

2. Why who is not repeated after and. as per MGMAT chapter 4 on parallelism repetition of subordinatior (who/whose etc) is expected to clear any ambiguity. That is why many people selected C.

children who identify themselves as culturally deaf and who use sign language are ...

I think both A and C have minor punctuation errors. Would someone like to clarify this ?

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Kudos [?]: 1845 [0], given: 229

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 21

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2014, 11:03
PiyushK wrote:
I have few doubts in A :

1. children who identify themselves as culturally deaf, and use sign language --- why comma is separating parallel verbs identify and use; sentence is not presenting list of more than 3 items also not joining 2 ICs.

2. Why who is not repeated after and. as per MGMAT chapter 4 on parallelism repetition of subordinatior (who/whose etc) is expected to clear any ambiguity. That is why many people selected C.

children who identify themselves as culturally deaf and who use sign language are ...

I think both A and C have minor punctuation errors. Would someone like to clarify this ?

You are right. Comma before AND should ideally represent either a list of 3 or more items or a conjunction with independent clause.
Seems like all the choices are incorrect in this question :)

-Sameer
Press Kudos if the post helped

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 21

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 618 [0], given: 606

Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 21:50
My 2 cents:

Intended meaning:
Studies have found that
--deaf children are generally on a par with hearing children in terms of reading and writing.
How is that so? Because they have been exposed to language since birth.
Deaf children identify themselves as culturally deaf and use sign language.
This is what A convey.
Option C
Studies have found that deaf children use sign language, and are generally on a par with hearing children in terms of reading and writing.
How is that so? Because they have been exposed to language since birth. [Is it explaining why they use sign lang and are on a par... No. It is explaining why they r on a par]

>>comma+ing modifier usage is not clear in meaning or we can say awkward.
>>Wrong as stated above
>> identify and using NOPE.
>>Missing main verb

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 22:16
PiyushK wrote:
I have few doubts in A :

Hi PiyushK,
How r u :)
Regarding point#2, hope below link form MGMAT answers it.I believe, there is an excellent eGmat article also on this but somehow i cant find it right-now.
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/par ... 12348.html

Ralph likes people who are popular and who are tall.
HOWEVER, this is a different trap where there is ambiguity on whether he likes two different types of people OR people who are two different things. To add clarity, we would distinguish as:
Ralph likes people who are popular and tall. (he likes people who are popular and tall)

Ralph likes people who are popular and people who are tall. (he likes people who are popular and he also likes people who are tall)
Ralph likes people who are popular and who are tall. (ambiguity here... the GMAT might allow this, but if given the preference chose a sentence with a clearer meaning)

As per this by dropping second who both identify and use get linked to the same subject deaf children. Please share your views on this.

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 15

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 23:02
For me this is a sub lvl question.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 15

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2015, 04:50
anceer wrote:

the hardest thing to do here is to find that using sign langugae in b can not modify the main clause logically. this is process of meaning/logic analyses which are still more easy than english grammar rules which are also tested on this exam.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 916

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2015, 16:00
sameer_kalra wrote:
PiyushK wrote:
I have few doubts in A :

You are right. Comma before AND should ideally represent either a list of 3 or more items or a conjunction with independent clause.
Seems like all the choices are incorrect in this question :)

I think point number 1 is a very valid point. I did some research and figured out three things
1) Comma + and is used to join two independent clauses
2) Comma + and is used for closing a list of items
3) Since commas are used in pairs to enclose phrases that interrupt a clause , we can place a comma before "and" (or any of the seven coordinating conjunctions) when the conjunction launches such a phrase
example "I told him, and really meant this time, to not abusive language" . (Here two commas are introducing non essential phrases)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 21

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.44
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2015, 06:32
Totally agree! why would someone punctuate 'and use sign language' within commas?!

PiyushK wrote:
I have few doubts in A :

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 21

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 7

GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 2.3

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2015, 13:03
A cannot be correct. Not a GMAT quality question.

I strongly encourage studying mostly from official GMAC material, and take everything (in verbal) from private schools with a grain of salt.

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 7

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 906

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: 314 Q167 V147

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2016, 07:19
anceer wrote:

Hi,
First of all,I have the same problem as PiyushK,but through the PEO I could find my choice.
The clue is in the non-underline part "because they have been exposed to language since birth";This is the reason to what the studies have found.
If the intended meaning is to say that the studies have found deaf children doing 2 things:using sign language,being on par,the reasoning cited in the latter part should response to this.
However,that reasoning part is actually explain only why these deaf children are on par with the hearing children.Hence,there is only main verb in this sentence "are"
With this conclusion,option C,D,E are out.
Between A and B,option B has the //ism problem;hence only A survives. :-D
My guess on the comma before "and use sign" is to separate the non-essential information.Also the ellipsis takes "who" from ",and use sign language".

Please comment if anything is wrong
Thanks

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 906

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 159

saurav: suman
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2017, 22:47
official solution
In this confusing sentence, you must understand the modifier following families. It is “American families who identify as this…and use sign language.” After you see that this modifier is correct, you should get rid of it to see the main portion of the sentence: “Studies have found that deaf children…are generally on a par with….” After this analysis you see that answer choice (A) is indeed correct. In (B) the modifier “using sign language” is illogical and incorrect – they do not identify themselves as culturally deaf “using sign language”. “They identify themselves and use sign language” (C) lacks the necessary “and” to link this verb back with identify. In (D) it needs to be the verb “use” not the participle “using” and (E) lacks the necessary “are” before generally. Answer is (A).

You have to have the darkness for the dawn to come.

Give Kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 159

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 64

WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2017, 05:11
A) identify and use are parallel , after language verb is reqd so "are" generally
B) using sign language modifier error = modifying subject studies.
C) ,and are generally is wrong
D) using and identify are not parallel
E) , generally lacks verb

Give Kudos for correct answer and/or if you like the solution.

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 64

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 01:26
anceer wrote:

how can A be correct.

who identify ____ and use________
comma is not correct
we cant say
who is X, and Y.

What is wrong with B

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 342

Re: Studies have found that deaf children   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2017, 01:26

Studies have found that deaf children

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap