Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 23 May 2017, 22:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Apr 2010
Posts: 96
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 1

Re: CR: elderly people who practice a religion [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2010, 09:25
A. C is wrong because it is scoped too widely and does not address the assumption at hand.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Apr 2006
Posts: 277
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 206 [0], given: 2

Re: CR: elderly people who practice a religion [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2010, 13:34
A.

A ... Shows the will to prolong life for short period..
_________________

Trying hard to achieve something unachievable now....

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Apr 2008
Posts: 191
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 81 [2] , given: 1

Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2011, 14:00
2
This post received
KUDOS
17
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a religion are much more likely to die immediately after an important religious holiday period than immediately before one. Researchers have concluded that the will to live can prolong life, at least for short periods of time.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the researchers' conclusion?

a) elderly people who practice a religion are less likely to die immediately before or during an important religious holiday than at any other time of the year
b) elderly people who practice a religion appear to experience less anxiety at the prospect of dying than do other people
c) some elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than most elderly people who do not
d) most elderly people who participate in religious holidays have different reasons for participating than young people do
e) many religious have important holidays in the spring and fall, seasons with the lowest death rates for elderly people
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 May 2011
Posts: 204
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 12-27-2011
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Old people and dying [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2011, 16:13
if the conclusion is based on the premise that OLD RELIGIOUS PEOPLE ARE MORE LIKELY DO DIE AFTER A RELIGIOUS HOLIDAY THAN BEFORE- THAN A PREMISE THAT SAYS THE SAME THING :'LESS LIKELY" TO DIE BEFORE OR DURING IS STRENGHENING THE CONCLUSION.

THEY HAVE A WILL TO LIVE BEFORE AND DURING A HOLIDAY SO THEY DONT DIE. BUT AFTER A HOLIDAY AND LONG BEFORE THEY HAVE NOT GOT THE WILL TO LIVE. A is right
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Apr 2008
Posts: 191
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 1

Re: Old people and dying [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2011, 17:20
How can you infer that waiting after the holidays to die is a sign of willpower? There are always important religious holidays after the upcoming holiday....does that mean that the old people will live forever?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 May 2011
Posts: 204
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 12-27-2011
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Old people and dying [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2011, 18:31
1
This post received
KUDOS
premise is:
elderly people who practice a religion are much more likely to die immediately after an important religious holiday period than immediately before one
the conclusion is:
at least for short periods of time.

so they die right after a holiday-it's the premise and they can make it for a short term.so the holiday that come after the holiday does not really matter. how can you conclude that they live forever.

premise: religion makes power of will for a short time so the eldery are likely to die only after a holiday and not before.

so if you say that eldery are not likely to die before/during a holiday you strenghten the conclusion
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Prep started for the n-th time
Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 692
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 37

Re: Old people and dying [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2011, 19:50
+1 for A.

Kudos to dimri10 for great explanation

Crick
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2011
Posts: 144
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 1

Re: Old people and dying [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2011, 05:31
Why cannot we go for C..It states that some elderly people who practice religion live much longer than people who do not..Isn't that premise enough to state the conclusion that people live longer due to the belief in religion..
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 May 2011
Posts: 204
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 12-27-2011
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Old people and dying [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2011, 05:47
1
This post received
KUDOS
OptimusPrimea1 wrote:
Why cannot we go for C..It states that some elderly people who practice religion live much longer than people who do not..Isn't that premise enough to state the conclusion that people live longer due to the belief in religion..


IMDO C IS WRONG:
1. nothing in the stem declares something about non-religious or compare between non-religious (NR) and religious (R).
2. nothing in the stem states that R live longer than NR (WITH ALL DUE RESPECT THE STEM DEALS WITH DEATH)- It just states that R deaths are likely to occure after a holiday.
to clarify: according to the stem nothing is declared about NR. so theoritically THE STEN DOES NOT NEGATE the possibility in which all NR live longer than R, but R dies in specific period (after) and not in other periods (during/before).
let's say that all NR in the world are 100 and R are 100 too.

according to the stem a possibility that all 100 NR are over 90 years and all R are just below(i.e) 80, but R tend to die after holidays not during/before because that short power of will in front of a holiday is dragging them only a bit more. hence C is false. this is only MDO.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Apr 2008
Posts: 191
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 1

Re: Old people and dying [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2011, 10:07
I initially picked E)...how does that not strengthen the conclusion of will power -> live longer?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 May 2011
Posts: 204
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 12-27-2011
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Old people and dying [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2011, 12:20
Not e. 1. E declares lower rates of death for eldery in general not for R eldery. 2. E does not say in what period in fall/spring the lower rates of death are. Maybe the lower rates of death are immidiately after a holiday which weakens the conclusion? 3. If the stem states that they drag only short period it will be an extreme to declare that power of will made them live for all fall or spring In CR every single word is important. I think u could be right if E stated that lower rates of death of Eldery R occure in summer or fall or greater rates after summer or fall that have holidays.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2010
Posts: 289
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 44

Re: CR: elderly people who practice a religion [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2011, 05:45
GOOD QUESTION.
_________________

kudos me if you like my post.

Attitude determine everything.
all the best and God bless you.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 105
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 15

Re: CR: elderly people who practice a religion [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2011, 14:09
greenoak wrote:
Quote:
I hate this question. I still don't see the connection between will to live and religion (as per your assumption).


The assumption is not mine :) I just tried to analyse the argument’s structure. ‘Assumption’ can be defined as premise which is not stated explicitly (hidden premise). In this sense, ‘religious elder people didn’t die before or during the holiday because of their will to live’ is the argument’s assumption – it is not stated, but implied. Well, I could express it in the following way (more detailed): ‘religious elder people didn’t die before or during the holiday because their religion gives them will to live’.

Then, in our case, the conclusion (theoretically) could be strengthened by
a) strengthening premises or adding additional premises which support the conclusion
b) clarifying assumptions – i.e., stating them explicitly

Personally, for this question I’d prefer ‘clarifying assumption’-way of strengthening the argument – because it’s easy to see that a link between ‘will to live’ and ‘religion’ is missing. However, the authors of the q. did not provide us with the suitable answer choice… The only option that strengthens the conclusion (A) does so by strengthening the premise. So I chose A.


Good explanation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Oct 2011
Posts: 266
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 110

Re: Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2011, 08:51
A is definitely the answer. Other options are too extreme to strengthen the link between practicing religion and the increased will to live.
_________________

Consider KUDOS if you feel the effort's worth it

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Dec 2011
Posts: 433
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 70

Re: Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2012, 05:51
A is the best among all the answers. However, option A seems to be a reiteration of the first sentence of the argument ... it is not really bringing any additional evidence.

Regarding the question on the link between "being religious" and "will to live", I believe religious people eagerly want to attend the religious events for which they wish to live at least till the event.
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Nov 2011
Posts: 305
Followers: 556

Kudos [?]: 1066 [0], given: 2

Re: Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2012, 14:50
Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a religion are much more likely to die immediately after an important religious holiday period than immediately before one. Researchers have concluded that the will to live can prolong life, at least for short periods of time.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the researchers conclusion?

(A) Elderly people who practice a religion are less likely to die immediately before or during an important religious holiday than at any other time of the year.

This supports the conclusion that the 'will to live' influences whether someone perishes. Presumably (and I guess we have to make a tiny assumption here), religious people have surge in the will to live during religious holidays. Therefore, they are less likely to die right before or during the religious holiday.

(B) Elderly people who practice a religion appear to experience less anxiety at the prospect of dying than do other people.

This is too general.

(C) Some elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than most elderly people who do not.

We are focused not on the longevity per se, but when exactly people die.

(D) Most elderly people who participate in religious holidays have different reasons for participating than young people do.

Out of scope.

(E) Many religions have important holidays in the spring and fall, seasons with the lowest death rates for elderly people.

There could be other seasonal variations in deaths of the elderly. We would have to control for these before making any causal inferences between religious holidays and mortality.


Hope that helps!
_________________

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep


Image

Image

Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: SAE
Joined: 11 Jul 2012
Posts: 508
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 288 [0], given: 269

Re: CR: elderly people who practice a religion [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2012, 03:52
prashantbacchewar wrote:
Can somebody please explain why the Answer is A


Premise - elderly people who practice a religion are much more likely to die immediately after an important religious holiday period than immediately before one
Conclusion - the will to live can prolong life, at least for short periods of time

Any options which strengthen the conclusion is your answer.

(A) Elderly people who practice a religion are less likely to die immediately before or during an important religious holiday than at any other time of the year.
(B) Elderly people who practice a religion appear to experience less anxiety at the prospect of dying than do other people. (Does not talk about the will, so ignore)
(C) Some elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than most elderly people who do not. (Even non -religious people can have strong will power)
(D) Most elderly people who participate in religious holidays have different reasons for participating than young people do. (No connections)(E) Many religions have important holidays in the spring and fall, seasons with the lowest death rates for elderly people. (No connections)

Only option A strengthen the conclusion
_________________

First Attempt 710 - http://gmatclub.com/forum/first-attempt-141273.html

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: CR: elderly people who practice a religion [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2012, 12:04
greenoak wrote:
Another A.

Quote:
Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a religion are much more likely to die immediately after an important religious holiday period than immediately before one. Researchers have concluded that the will to live can prolong life, at least for short periods of time.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the researchers conclusion?


Premise: religious elderly people die less before or during religious holiday.
Assumption: they didn’t die before or during the holiday because of their will to live
Conclusion: will to live can prolong life

(A) Elderly people who practice a religion are less likely to die immediately before or during an important religious holiday than at any other time of the year.
Additional evidence: death probability for religious elderly people is less for the period before or during religious holiday that for any other time of the year (not only for the period after the holiday). This evidence strengthens premise -> strengthens the conclusion.

(B) Elderly people who practice a religion appear to experience less anxiety at the prospect of dying than do other people. (Anxiety is not necessary connected to the ability to prolong life.)

(C) Some elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than most elderly people who do not. (this is true only for ‘some’ people. However, it is not enough to make a generalization.)

(D) Most elderly people who participate in religious holidays have different reasons for participating than young people do. (The reasons for participating in holidays are not connected either to the ability to prolong life or to the will to live)

(E) Many religions have important holidays in the spring and fall, seasons with the lowest death rates for elderly people. (This in fact weakens the conclusion, since it provides alternative explanation: death rates in spring and fall may be lower for another reason)


Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a religion are much more likely to die immediately after an important religious holiday period than immediately before one. So the argument that death probability for religious elderly people is less for the period before or during religious holiday that for any other time of the year is not valid. For me it's B because "Elderly people who practice a religion appear to experience less anxiety at the prospect of dying than do other people." so after the religious festival they have less will to live which is not prolonging their life.
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: 1,750 Q's attempted and counting
Affiliations: University of Florida
Joined: 09 Jul 2013
Posts: 512
Location: United States (FL)
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 828 [0], given: 630

Re: Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2013, 19:57
I thought this was a very good question. I kind of saw this question as a quant question. It may seem unclear but I'll show you.

In the question the stimulus talked about elderly people and their propensity for death around the religious holidays. I saw the reference point "religious holidays" as a marker in a calendar as well as a greater than or less than sign with elderly death rates as two variables.

I saw an equation such as ----> x < More deaths after Religious Holidays , with "<" meaning "Religious Holiday".

As greenoak pointed out earlier in thread, you can strength the argument by
Quote:
a) strengthening premises or adding additional premises which support the conclusion
b) clarifying assumptions – i.e., stating them explicitly

Answer choice A merely stated the "flip-side" of one of the premises and revealed an assumption in the argument; that if the elderly die more after a religious holiday they will die less often prior to or during a holiday. Therefore, the assumption finishes my equation and affirms/strengthens one of the premises.

Less deaths before --- Religious Holiday --- More deaths after

In addition, this answer choice had many terms and phrases that alerted me that it was "In Scope". Many of the other answer choices seemed irrelevant or out-of-scope.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Jan 2013
Posts: 34
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 26

Re: CR: elderly people who practice a religion [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2014, 02:15
vksunder wrote:
What is wrong with C?


C talks about some so straightforwardly rejected
Re: CR: elderly people who practice a religion   [#permalink] 23 Feb 2014, 02:15

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 58 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Studies have shown that children who watch a lot of television do not SajjadAhmad 1 30 Apr 2017, 11:12
Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a mrblack 0 03 Dec 2016, 12:38
3 A broad based study of elderly people who say that they have rphardu 6 05 Jan 2016, 16:36
Studies have shown that people who keep daily diet records hogann 0 02 Sep 2015, 07:47
28 Studies have shown that people who keep daily diet records lkothari 78 13 Aug 2016, 04:14
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.