It is currently 19 Feb 2018, 11:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Non-Human User
Premium Member
Re: Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2014, 14:54
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2014, 17:36
I still don't understand why E is wrong.

If death rates are lower in the seasons where all of the holidays are, doesn't that lend evidence to the idea that elderly people that are willing their way to live through those seasons?
Verbal Forum Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2014, 22:05
SleeB wrote:
I still don't understand why E is wrong.

If death rates are lower in the seasons where all of the holidays are, doesn't that lend evidence to the idea that elderly people that are willing their way to live through those seasons?

Hi SleeB

(E) Many religions have important holidays in the spring and fall, seasons with the lowest death rates for elderly people.

E does not strengthen but rather weakens the conclusion. The conclusion is practicing religious makes people live longer, at least for a short time. But E means NOT religious BUT seasonal affects make people live longer. Thus, E does not strengthen the conclusion.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2015, 00:40
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2015, 11:04
oh for the love of gmat experts shed light on this!daagh carcass
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.2
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2016, 11:29
Is 'A' introducing new information? Are not strengthen questions looking for new info?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2016, 20:47
mrblack wrote:
Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a religion are much more likely to die immediately after an important religious holiday period than immediately before one. Researchers have concluded that the will to live can prolong life, at least for short periods of time.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the researchers' conclusion?

a) elderly people who practice a religion are less likely to die immediately before or during an important religious holiday than at any other time of the year
b) elderly people who practice a religion appear to experience less anxiety at the prospect of dying than do other people
c) some elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than most elderly people who do not
d) most elderly people who participate in religious holidays have different reasons for participating than young people do
e) many religious have important holidays in the spring and fall, seasons with the lowest death rates for elderly people

Can Someone explain why Option C is Incorrect here!

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

Expert Post
Math Expert
D

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2016, 20:57
smartguy595 wrote:
mrblack wrote:
Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a religion are much more likely to die immediately after an important religious holiday period than immediately before one. Researchers have concluded that the will to live can prolong life, at least for short periods of time.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the researchers' conclusion?

a) elderly people who practice a religion are less likely to die immediately before or during an important religious holiday than at any other time of the year
b) elderly people who practice a religion appear to experience less anxiety at the prospect of dying than do other people
c) some elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than most elderly people who do not
d) most elderly people who participate in religious holidays have different reasons for participating than young people do
e) many religious have important holidays in the spring and fall, seasons with the lowest death rates for elderly people

Hi,
the usage of 'some' in ' some elderly people'..
Quote:

It could mean that most elderly people who practice religion live lesser than some who do not practice..

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

BANGALORE/-

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2016, 21:03
chetan2u wrote:
smartguy595 wrote:
mrblack wrote:

Hi,
Quote:

It could mean that most elderly people who practice religion live lesser than some who do not practice..

Hi Chetan,

how do you deduce the Statement "most elderly people who practice religion live lesser than some who do not practice."

from original statement - "some elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than most elderly people who do not"

if there are total 100 elderly people who practice a religion & 100 who do not practice religion

then as per original statement - (1-100) of elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than (51-100) elderly people who do not.

am not sure how to relate this sentence to Conclusion & eliminate it :(

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

Expert Post
Math Expert
D

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2016, 21:18
smartguy595 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:

Hi,
Quote:

Hi Chetan,

how do you deduce the Statement "most elderly people who practice religion live lesser than some who do not practice."

from original statement - "some elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than most elderly people who do not"

if there are total 100 elderly people who practice a religion & 100 who do not practice religion

then as per original statement - (1-100) of elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than (51-100) elderly people who do not.

am not sure how to relate this sentence to Conclusion & eliminate it :(

Hi,
I am not deducing it, since I amusing the word 'could mean'..
what I am saying that with the wordings given this can also be a possibility..

what is important is the usage of word 'some'..
we do not know what is the case with the most of the elderly practicing religion..
IT may be possible..
most practicing could be living more than most of non followers..
But we cannot deduce the above logically fronm choice C..
that is the problem with it..

It just talks of some, which is not sufficient to strengthen because we cannot speak anything about the majority

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

BANGALORE/-

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2016, 00:58
vksunder wrote:
What is wrong with C?

Option C says that being religious is the reason for them to live longer. However the conclusion that we have to strengthen is 'Its their will that helps them to live longer'.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Marketing

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2016, 18:53

100 people practice religion.
die before religious ceremony ______________________ die in between________________-die after
30_____________50_____________20

the will is not the factor - weaken
so if we remove all other factor that could be responsible for prolong life - strengthen.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the researchers conclusion?

(A) Elderly people who practice a religion are less likely to die immediately before or during an important religious holiday than at any other time of the year.
(B) Elderly people who practice a religion appear to experience less anxiety at the prospect of dying than do other people. :- it actually weakens as it is the less anxiety that leads to delayed death, not the will power. Also, if you are less anxious about death, no matter if death come now or then.

(C) Some elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than most elderly people who do not. :- it is the religion and not will power. also some give it away.

(E) Many religions have important holidays in the spring and fall, seasons with the lowest death rates for elderly people.

I find A & E both seems good to me.
E strengthen the idea a bit more by stretching the sample size.

Expert pl help
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2016, 15:36
How can (A) be the answer. Isn't it just repeating what the question stem states?

Could someone please shed some light?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2016, 04:29
How is A the ans? It is simply re-phrasing the question
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2016, 09:11
Isn't Option A the re phrasal of the premise given in the argument as it is already given that people who practice a religion die after a religious holiday..
it is easily inferred that before a holiday or during that holiday they don't or areless likely to die.....

And I chose option C..Can anybpdy tell me what is wrong with that?
Current Student
S
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2016, 11:42
C is such an irritating choice. Is 'some' the only reason that plagues option C?
Director
Director
G
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2016, 02:09
My take on the question.
Premise: Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a religion are much more likely to die immediately after an important religious holiday period than immediately before one.
Conclusion: Researchers have concluded that the will to live can prolong life, at least for short periods of time.

From the conclusion we understand that the WILL TO LIVE is related to PRACTICE OF RELIGION.
We have to select a choice that strengthens the conclusion or makes it more believable.
We know strengthen choice SHOULD be new information and that is what made me choose option C and not A because A is a re-statement of the premise.

After going through the explanation, I understood why C is not correct.
Option C states
SOME elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than MOST elderly people who do not
Such words always make CR questions tricky.

If some elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than most elderly people who do not then there are some elderly people who practice religion but do not live longer (It can be even one person) than elderly people who do not practice.
So this kind of different from what the argument states as it does not mention whether some live or most live. It just states that elderly people who practice a religion are much more likely to die immediately after an important religious holiday period than immediately before one.
So this choice can be eliminated.

Choice A is an extension of what is stated in the argument.
Elderly people who practice a religion are less likely to die immediately before or during an important religious holiday than at any other time of the year.

Is my understanding of ‘some’ correct ?
Can a strengthen answer include information already stated in the argument ?

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2016, 11:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The conclusion is that will to live prolongs life. The premise is that religious people are more likely to die after a religious occasion than before.

The religious people intend to participate in a religious occasion - this intent creates a will to live at least till the day of the occasion. This will in turn makes them live till the day. However as soon as the day is over the intent to participate is gone and hence the will to live also reduces, thus religious people die immediately after the day of the occasion. Hence A is correct.

C is wrong because the argument does not claim that practising religion increases life span - the argument is about whether the will to live prolongs life.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Copenhagen, ESMT"19
GPA: 3.75
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 01:06
option A is almost same as given in argument but still it is the answer.

Option E is promising older people do want to live the religious holiday and due their desire for that they do not die during that period which is mentioned in option E that is during spring and fall there are less number of elderly death.
Director
Director
P
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 09:36

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the researchers conclusion?

(A) Elderly people who practice a religion are less likely to die immediately before or during an important religious holiday than at any other time of the year.
Correct. It is more of an inference. We know this already from the premise that the followers of a religion tend to die more number of times post the holidays than before the holidays.

(B) Elderly people who practice a religion appear to experience less anxiety at the prospect of dying than do other people.
This option is a weakener. It gives us an alternative that the anxiety is low in elderly people who follow a religion.

(C) Some elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than most elderly people who do not.
Its a fact set. Plus, we are not worried about the comparison with the non followers of religion.

(D) Most elderly people who participate in religious holidays have different reasons for participating than young people do.
We are not worried about the reason

We are not worried about the time of year when the religious holidays fall.

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant
2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation
3. LSAT RC compilation
4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal
5. QOTD RC (Carcass)
6. Challange OG RC

Re: Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a   [#permalink] 27 Aug 2017, 09:36

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 62 posts ] 

Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap