Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [91]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [30]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [7]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618664 [3]
Given Kudos: 81564
Send PM
Re: Studies have shown that people who keep daily diet records are far mor [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
lkothari wrote:
Studies have shown that people who keep daily diet records are far more successful at losing weight than people who don’t keep track of what they eat. Researchers believe that many weight-loss efforts fail because people eat more calories than they intend to consume. One study followed a group of patients who reported that they could not lose weight when consuming only 1,200 calories a day. The study found that the group consumed, on average, 47% more than it claimed and exercised 51% less. In contrast, when dieters record what they eat, their actual consumption more closely matches their reported consumption.

The two boldface portions in the argument above are best described by which of the following statements?

(A) The first is a conclusion reached by researchers; the second is evidence that that conclusion is correct.

(B) The first is an explanation of why a certain theory is thought to be true; the second is an example of research results that support this theory.

(C) The first is an example illustrating the truth of a certain theory; the second is a competing theory.

(D) The first is a premise upon which the researchers base their opinion; the second illustrates that their opinion is correct.

(E) The first introduces a theory that the researchers have disproved; the second is the basis for the researchers’ argument.

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

The conclusion of this argument is that “many weight-loss efforts fail because people eat more calories than they intend to consume.” The first boldface portion is a factual premise (“Studies have shown…”) that there is an observed correlation between keeping a diet record and losing weight successfully. This premise (indirectly) supports the researchers’ conclusion. The second boldface portion is another supporting premise, this one citing a specific study showing that dieters who do not keep a diet record eat far more than they realize.

(A) The first boldface is not the conclusion, it is an observed fact. The second boldface is evidence that the researchers’ conclusion is correct, but is not evidence that the first boldface is correct.

(B) The first boldface is a fact that supports the researchers’ theory, but it does not explain why their conclusion is correct—the other premises do so.

(C) The first boldface is a fact that supports the researchers’ theory, but it does not illustrate the truth of that theory—the second boldface does. The second boldface is a fact that supports the researchers’ theory; it is not a competing theory.

(D) CORRECT. The first boldface (diet record = diet success) is a basis for the researchers’ conclusion that many weight-loss efforts fail because people consume more than they intended. The second boldface directly illustrates how weight-loss efforts of a certain group failed for exactly that reason.

(E) The first boldface is a factual statement, not a theory. Furthermore, the first boldface supports the theory of the researchers; it is not something they have disproved.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 343 [5]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Studies have shown that people who keep daily diet records are far mor [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
As soon as I read option A I didn't feel the need to go through the other options because option A seemed right to me. That is a huuuuuge mistake. Never ever do this. Examine every option before you pick any.

After realizing my mistake I read the ques properly and concluded that there is no conclusion in the argument. It is just a collection of facts.

In Researchers opinion, weight loss efforts fail because people eat more than they intend do. And they eat more because they do no keep track of how much they consume (which is what the studies claim). Also when dieters record their intake, they eat as much as they intend to. Hence Researchers opinion is based on bold-faced peortion 1.
Bold-faced portion 2 clearly indicates that Researchers opinion is correct because the group under study did not keep track of what they ate and how much they exercised and hence were unable to lose weight.

Hence answer should be D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [2]
Given Kudos: 58
Send PM
Kudos
pmenon wrote:
i picked A since the first boldface seems to be a conclusion to me ...

I chose A too. Wouldn't it be a conclusion if I said "Studies have shown that without water life could not be sustained". Lastly, "The study found that.." makes it sound like evidence.

I do see how D could be correct. Can you tell me the source of this question?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
I initally chose A as well, but I can see why D is correct.

When "Studies show" something, that means its a fact/premise. I agree that this is not an opinion. But the next sentence "Researchers believe that many weight-loss efforts fail because people eat more calories than they intend to consume" is definitely an opinion or theory.

And the 2nd boldface does illustrate that their theory/opinion is correct.

Good question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1821 [2]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
Kudos
(A.) The first is a conclusionreached by researchers; the second is evidence that that conclusion is correct.
The wording of the first sentence is an introduction of a topic by citing a result of the study... It is not a conlusion test... IF YOU ARE DOUBTFUL.. TRY THE BECAUSE LINKING TEST...
(a)People who keep daily diet records are far more successful at losing weight BECAUSE Researchers believe that many fail...
(b)Researchers believe that many weight-loss efforts fail BECAUSE people who keep daily diet records are far more successful at losing weight...

WHICH SEEMS LIKE A SUPPORT? WHICH SEEMS LIKE A CONCLUSION?

(B) The first is an explanation of why a certain theory is thought to be true; the second is an example of research results that support this theory.
Results of a study is not a THEORY until established so...

(C) The first is an example illustrating the truth of a certain theory; the second is a competingtheory.
The first did not illustrate any truth.. It just showed a known result... and the second is in harmony with the first...

(D) The first is a premise upon which the researchers base their opinion; the second illustrates that their opinion is correct.

(E) The first introduces atheory that the researchers have disproved; the second is the basis for the researchers’ argument.[/quote]
The author agrees with the result....

Answer: D
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3945 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Kudos
I don't agree with D.
Although the first part is a premise, there is not an opinion. The researches are just reporting a finding in a study.

What is the source please?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma -while BF1 is a "Fact", why should we believe this fact is a premise specifically.

"Facts" can very easily be just background information, not playing the role of premise necessarily.

What in the argument tells you that BF1 (which is a fact) is playing the role of a premise specifically.

There is very little difference between context and premises. Context helps you understand the premises. Premises support the conclusion. The distinction is often not white and black.

After reading the argument, what would you say is the author's opinion? That people who keep records are more successful at losing weight.

BF1 - Studies have shown that people who keep daily diet records are far more successful at losing weight than people who don’t keep track of what they eat.
supports the opinion. So it is a premise.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64888 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Studies have shown that people who keep daily diet records are far mor [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
SlowTortoise wrote:
KarishmaB wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma -while BF1 is a "Fact", why should we believe this fact is a premise specifically.

"Facts" can very easily be just background information, not playing the role of premise necessarily.

What in the argument tells you that BF1 (which is a fact) is playing the role of a premise specifically.

There is very little difference between context and premises. Context helps you understand the premises. Premises support the conclusion. The distinction is often not white and black.

KarishmaB

I had a few questions about premises/facts and background information:

(1) Is it right to say that a premise that doesn't affect (support/reject) a conclusion (main or otherwise) is background information?
(1.1) What if a clause/sentence implictly supports or aligns with a conclusion or sub-conclusion? Would it still be called background information?

The distinction between context (background info) and premises is irrelevant to the process of solving the question. The difference is subtle and debatable at times. Focus on separating the conclusion from the argument.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 535 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
GMAT Date: 02-11-2015
WE:Psychology and Counseling (Other)
sonnco wrote:
pmenon wrote:

I chose A too. Wouldn't it be a conclusion if I said "Studies have shown that without water life could not be sustained". Lastly, "The study found that.." makes it sound like evidence.

I do see how D could be correct. Can you tell me the source of this question?

Studies have shown that people who keep daily diet records are far more successful at losing weight than people who don’t keep track of what they eat.
Researchers believe that many weight-loss efforts fail because people eat more calories than they intend to consume.
One study followed a group of patients who reported that they could not lose weight when consuming only 1,200 calories a day.
The study found that the group consumed, on average, 47% more than it claimed and exercised 51% less.
In contrast, when dieters record what they eat, their actual consumption more closely matches their reported consumption.
Therefore, not keeping track of what one eats makes it far more difficult for that person to lose weight.

(A.) The first is a conclusion reached by researchers; the second is evidence that that conclusion is correct.

The sentence in red was added by me, to illustrate a possible conclusion of this argument.

(A) When a sentence starts with "studies have shown" it signals a premise. Think of it as building a theory. Your theory is that "keeping track with what you eat helps in losing weight". You need support for this, so you are looking for data that support it. In other words, you would read as many studies as possible and share their results. So, the first sentence, cannot be the actual conclusion. It presents supportive evidence coming from studies. The conclusion, adding up all those premises, could be sth like the sentence in red.

The second sentence cannot be evidence that makes the first statement 100% secure either. That because it is sort of irrelevant. The second sentence only says that the results of one study showed that participants consumed more than ther reported and exercised less that they reported. This doesn't have to do with them keeping records with what they eat, which is what the first sentence says.

(D) is correct. The first is a premise (explained above). The second is another premise in support of the first premise. It adds strength to the first premise in that it shows that people can be misleaded when it comes to how much they have consumed.

:)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.63
WE:Project Management (Health Care)
Send PM
Studies have shown that people who keep daily diet records are far mor [#permalink]
lkothari wrote:
Studies have shown that people who keep daily diet records are far more successful at losing weight than people who don’t keep track of what they eat. Researchers believe that many weight-loss efforts fail because people eat more calories than they intend to consume. One study followed a group of patients who reported that they could not lose weight when consuming only 1,200 calories a day. The study found that the group consumed, on average, 47% more than it claimed and exercised 51% less. In contrast, when dieters record what they eat, their actual consumption more closely matches their reported consumption.

The two boldface portions in the argument above are best described by which of the following statements?

(A) The first is a conclusion reached by researchers; the second is evidence that that conclusion is correct.
(C) The first is an example illustrating the truth of a certain theory; the second is a competing theory.
(E) The first introduces a theory that the researchers have disproved; the second is the basis for the researchers’ argument.

The conclusion of the argument starts with "Researchers believe that...", while the 1st sentence is just a premise to support that conclusion (theory), an indicator would be "have found" - something already happened.

The 2nd part "The study found that the group..." and the last sentence "In contrast, when..." together are used to support the conclusion "many weight-loss efforts fail because people eat more calories than they intend to consume".

So we have
  • 1st part: premise/evidence/illustration/example/another theory to support the conclusion
  • 2nd part: another premise/evidence... to support

Now going through all answer:
A) the first is not the conclusion "reached by researchers", no evidence supports the fact the 1st mentioned study is conduct by those researchers.
B) tempting answer - but I don't really think the 1st sentence (people who keep track are more successful at losing weight ) explain why the conclusion (many fail because people eat more than they intended to), but rather the conclusion is a further expansion on the logic of the 1st sentence
C) the 2nd is not the theory (conclusion), but another example to support the theory
D) fits our pre-thinking, correct
E) the 1st is not a theory being disproved

Originally posted by PhantomAY on 22 May 2020, 19:58.
Last edited by PhantomAY on 22 May 2020, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 369
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V35
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:

KarishmaB

I had a few questions about premises/facts and background information:

(1) Is it right to say that a premise that doesn't affect (support/reject) a conclusion (main or otherwise) is background information?
(1.1) What if a clause/sentence implictly supports or aligns with a conclusion or sub-conclusion? Would it still be called background information?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts