Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:10 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [89]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [52]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q49  V22 GMAT 2: 700  Q50  V35
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3223 [23]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [4]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Re: Studies of test scores show that watching television has a markedly [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Parallelism is between children whose parents are Native english speakers and children whose parents are not English speakers.

In this context we are comparing children, i.e. two similar entities. Hence compared with has to be used. Compared to is used when we compare apples and oranges but here it is apples vs apples.

So applying the above two options E is the best suited option.
A & D are out because it uses "Compared To".
B is out because it uses who instead of whose.
C- just mentions "with". In this context we are comparing children with children. Not children and Native speakers.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [8]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Send PM
Re: Studies of test scores show that watching television has a markedly [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
StevenSzekeres wrote:
Can someone please explain why "as compared to" does not work? ie why is it "as compared with"?

Steven,

"Compared to" and "compared with" are both fine idioms. Honestly, when you add in the "as" they both become suspect, but neither "as compared with" or "as compared to" are grammatically or idiomatically wrong. As bad as they might sound, we can't cross off any answers for this reason.

The real issue here is one that you can discover by always remembering to ask: "What is this problem really about?" and then "What does the GMAT like to test within that subject?" You need to get in the habit of asking yourself these questions when you see certain trigger words. The word "compared" in this problem is a giveaway that this problem is really about comparisons, which are really just a special form of parallelism. With comparisons, you need to compare apples to apples. The GMAT loves to create wrong answer choices that compares two things that can't logically be compared. Here, you need to compare either:

-children with children

or

-parents with parents

but you can't compare

-children with parents.

This gets us quickly down to D and E. If you can get that far, you've done great work! Between D and E, don't worry about it. We're constantly working to improve our curriculum, and this is one we have under review.

Happy studying!

Brett
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 473 [1]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Send PM
Kudos
E compares correctly. The pointers to be compared are of similar nature hence "compare with" and comparison should be between children whose parents does this and that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Given Kudos: 208
Concentration: Economics, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V47
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Studies of test scores show that watching television has a markedly [#permalink]
Kudos
I totally understand the logic here, but isn't compare with Idiomatically wrong???
Director
Director
Affiliations: NYK Line
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Studies of test scores show that watching television has a markedly positive effect on children whose parents speak English as a second language, as compared to those whose native language is English.

A to those whose native language is English
B with children whose native language is English
C with those who are native English speakers
D to children whose parents do not
E with children whose parents are native English speakers

Can any one suggest why is A wrong
Those is a possessive pronoun should refer to preceeding noun in number which it is refering to parents and should logically refer to.

E is more wordy though its straight fwd.
I always mess up with Comparisons.... Pls suggest me whats wrong in my approach.

Originally posted by Archit143 on 08 Oct 2012, 02:59.
Last edited by hamm0 on 08 Oct 2012, 05:44, edited 1 time in total.
Underlined missing SC
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Archit143 wrote:
Studies of test scores show that watching television has a markedly positive effect on children whose parents speak English as a second language, as compared to those whose native language is English.

to those whose native language is English
with children whose native language is English
with those who are native English speakers
to children whose parents do not
with children whose parents are native English speakers

Can any one suggest why is A wrong
Those is a possessive pronoun should refer to preceeding noun in number which it is refering to parents and should logically refer to.

E is more wordy though its straight fwd.
I always mess up with Comparisions.... Pls suggest me whats wrong in my approach.

The best way to solve comparisons is to think the PRIMARY question: What are we comparing?

SO, what are we comparing in this question
Answer: Children whose parents speak english as second language to children whose parents speak english as native language.

A is wrong because it compares children whose parents speak English as a second language TO those whose native language is English

I this case THOSE refers to parents.

Thus only contenders for right answer are B,D ,and E . And B,D can be easily eliminated . Therefore E is the answer
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [2]
Given Kudos: 92
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1711 [3]
Given Kudos: 886
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
GPA: 3
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
I actually thought that D was also correct in this case.
I referred the Manhattan forum and found that they have made this question invalid as both D and E are correct.

ManhattanGMAT Staff

i've talked with Stacey, and we agree that "those" is fine to use for "children" in D, so the only real difference between D and E is the preposition at the beginning. Since that is a distinction that appears to be irrelevant these days, we have referred the problem to our problem writing committee. As far as i'm concerned, both D and E are acceptable on this one and the question is thus invalid..

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forum ... t6962.html
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4688 [1]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
AmritaSarkar89 wrote:
I totally understand the logic here, but isn't compare with Idiomatically wrong???

Please go through this link to clear your doubt - https://grammarist.com/usage/compared-to ... ared-with/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 530 Q45 V20
GPA: 3.91
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
AmritaSarkar89 wrote:

GMAT does not seem to differentiate between the usages of "compared with" and "compared to". All the 5 options are alright depending on which meaning the author wants to convey ! Thumb rule: When there are more than one grammatically correct sentence select the one that retains the meaning of the original sentence. In that respect, option A should be correct because all 5 sentences are grammatically correct.

That said I do see a probable problem in the non-underlined part: The word "as" before "compared" is not generally used in GMAT.

Such questions are not expected in the real GMAT.

Hi, I am still unsure with the explanation given. If all ans are correct then I would like to know why you are inclining yourself towards A? with the rule of concision? My take is E because I guess meaning wise E is most clear one.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
arunavamunshi1988 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
AmritaSarkar89 wrote:

GMAT does not seem to differentiate between the usages of "compared with" and "compared to". All the 5 options are alright depending on which meaning the author wants to convey ! Thumb rule: When there are more than one grammatically correct sentence select the one that retains the meaning of the original sentence. In that respect, option A should be correct because all 5 sentences are grammatically correct.

That said I do see a probable problem in the non-underlined part: The word "as" before "compared" is not generally used in GMAT.

Such questions are not expected in the real GMAT.

Hi, I am still unsure with the explanation given. If all ans are correct then I would like to know why you are inclining yourself towards A? with the rule of concision? My take is E because I guess meaning wise E is most clear one.

I already mentioned in my previous post the following:
"When there are more than one grammatically correct sentence, select the one that retains the meaning of the original sentence. In that respect, option A should be correct because all 5 sentences are grammatically correct." I prefer A because all other sentences, though grammatically correct, change the meaning of the original sentence.

Nonetheless, you can be rest assured that you would never get 5 grammatically correct options in the real test.

Not just E, all sentences convey a clear meaning.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB'22 (D)
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
arctic wrote:

(A) to those whose native language is English
(B) with children whose native language is English
(C) with those who are native English speakers
(D) to children whose parents do not
(E) with children whose parents are native English speakers

Manhattan says E, but I think it could be D. The pronoun "those" is not ambiguous since parents is referred to in the answer choice?

Official Explanation

Comparisons must compare logically parallel things, but this sentence compares "children whose parents speak English as a second language" with "those (children) whose native language is English.” (Note that the pronoun "those" refers to children logically and structurally, because of the parallelism required in a comparison. There is no pronoun error.) Logic tells us that a child can be in both of these categories: a child who is a native English speaker can have parents who speak English as a second language. Because the first item in the comparison - children whose parents speak English as a second language, is not underlined - we need to find a choice that contains a comparison between two things that are actually comparable (an “apples-to-apples” type of comparison).

Note that "compared to" and "compared with" are equivalent idioms from the point of view of the GMAT; either is correct. This split is merely an attempt to get us to waste time. According to some usage experts, these two idioms differ slightly in their emphasis on similarities vs. differences, but this distinction is not universally respected.

(A) This choice is incorrect, for the reasons given in the paragraph above.

(B) This choice continues to compare "children whose parents speak English as a second language" with "children whose native language is English."

(C) Although this choice replaces ”whose native language is English” with the equivalent phrase “who are native English speakers,” the choice does not fix the original comparison error. The sentence still compares “children whose parents speak English as a second language" with “children who are native English speakers.”

(D) The second group is now “children whose parents do not (speak English as a second language).” Do the parents in this second group speak English as a native language, then? Or do they not speak English at all? The meaning is ambiguous in this choice, while the meaning in the original sentence is quite clear: we’re comparing those who speak English as a second language to those who speak English as a first language.

(E) CORRECT. This choice correctly compares “children whose parents speak English as a second language” with the logically parallel “children whose parents are native English speakers."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
Kudos
Till now my understanding for 'as compared with' was that it is incorrect idiom .
Please tell me in what all cases it will not be considered incorrect egmat
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 413
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
GMATNinja I have learnt in my basic SC course that "as compared with" is not the correct idiom but here it is shown as correct. Can u please clear this up?

Gagan
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Kudos
In option D, can we fill the sentence using ellipsis.. [to children whose parents do not speak English as a second language]
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
vijayram2496 wrote:
In option D, can we fill the sentence using ellipsis.. [to children whose parents do not speak English as a second language]

Yes, your understanding seems correct Vijay.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
[quote="akhil911"]I actually thought that D was also correct in this case.
I referred the Manhattan forum and found that they have made this question invalid as both D and E are correct.

ManhattanGMAT Staff

i've talked with Stacey, and we agree that "those" is fine to use for "children" in D, so the only real difference between D and E is the preposition at the beginning. Since that is a distinction that appears to be irrelevant these days, we have referred the problem to our problem writing committee. As far as i'm concerned, both D and E are acceptable on this one and the question is thus invalid..

I got this question on CAT2. I chose D but the system indicated that D is wrong and E is correct. I tend to disagree, but it is what it is
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts