GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 24 May 2018, 00:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Studies show that children who listen too much classic music

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Studies show that children who listen too much classic music [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2016, 10:48
Guyz, this does not seem to be a very good post.

Option A is clearly incomplete! It doesnt have a 'logical' structure at all!

And, what is the last line "People who like Dogs.." doing there? Is that an option too? Becuase that is, at least complete.

Now, it only gets a logical structure when we combine A and B together. This, i think, should be option A:
"1) The shoes store in the city sold twice as many shoes as the shoes store in the countryside did last week, and a Today paper advertisement has been shown to increase the number of shoes sold. The shoes store in the city must have had a bigger advertisement in the Today paper than the shoes store in the countryside. "

But, still A isn't the correct answer.

To me, the last (un-numbered) option makes more sense.

But anyways, i request the poster to either clarify or remove/edit this post.

One Kudos for an everlasting piece of knowledge is not a bad deal at all... :thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2016, 05:36
[you-tube][/you-tube]
blueseas wrote:
Studies show that children who listen too much classic music are more likely than others to become silent adults. Shawn, who is a silent adult, must have listened more classic music as a child than I did, since I am not silent.

Which of the following most closely parallels the logical structure above?

1) The shoes store in the city must have had a bigger advertisement in the Today paper than the shoes store in the countryside.

2) The shoes store in the city sold twice as many shoes as the shoes store in the countryside did last week, and a Today paper advertisement has been shown to increase the number of shoes sold.

3) Studies show that fat people live shorter lives, on average, than thin people do. Tom is a fat man and therefore might be expected to live a shorter life than Peter, who is a thin man.

4) The mayor stated that all meetings would be canceled for the day if rainfall last night were greater than five inches. Therefore, since the rainfall was only four inches, we must be attending the meeting today.

5) According to research, people with unusual math talent do not achieve their true potential unless they are given formal lessons. Therefore Jeff, who has achieved his full math potential without formal lessons must not have unusual math talent.

People who like dogs also like cats. Karen does not like cats, so she must not like dogs either.

why not b?

Edit: by carcass

Let me assist. Everything is wonderful with this question except one thing. It beats me that no one has pointed it out. CR is a logic not a creed.
The answer is not B C D or E.
Because they didnt even copy the logic pattern.
A as well did NOT parallel the logic pattern. It would have paralleled the logic pattern had it said, Studies show that shoe storeswith bigger ads in Today papers sell more than shoe stores with smaller ads in Today papers. The shoes store in the city sold more than shoe stores in the country side. Therefore. The shoes store in the city must have had a bigger advertisement in the Today paper than the shoes store in the countryside.

But the question asked, Which of the following most closely parallels the logical structure above?.
Now there are options from B through E that more closely copied the logic than the other.
We do not know if A copied the logic more than the other since A is not an argument. It has no premise.
We dont know what the heck led to the conclusion in A. It could be worse than the other options or better than them
So factually A as it stands in that argument CANNOT be the answer.
The other options like B seems to be part of A but got truncated by a typo.
Please jettison this question.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2016, 03:51
blueseas wrote:
Studies show that children who listen too much classic music are more likely than others to become silent adults. Shawn, who is a silent adult, must have listened more classic music as a child than I did, since I am not silent.

1) The shoes store in the city must have had a bigger advertisement in the Today paper than the shoes store in the countryside.

2) The shoes store in the city sold twice as many shoes as the shoes store in the countryside did last week, and a Today paper advertisement has been shown to increase the number of shoes sold.

3) Studies show that fat people live shorter lives, on average, than thin people do. Tom is a fat man and therefore might be expected to live a shorter life than Peter, who is a thin man.

4) The mayor stated that all meetings would be canceled for the day if rainfall last night were greater than five inches. Therefore, since the rainfall was only four inches, we must be attending the meeting today.

5) According to research, people with unusual math talent do not achieve their true potential unless they are given formal lessons. Therefore Jeff, who has achieved his full math potential without formal lessons must not have unusual math talent.

People who like dogs also like cats. Karen does not like cats, so she must not like dogs either.

why not b?

Edit: by carcass

The premise is a non deductive statement. It is only more likely true and not 100% correct. It implies some who do not listen too much classic music can also be silent. The conclusion is deductive statement; 'must have' indicates that. Therefore, it is a poor argument, that is, invalid. For a valid conclusion it should be non deductive. Only option C is somewhat a similar structure.
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
WE: Real Estate (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2016, 13:40
This post received
KUDOS
hahahaha, when I saw the answer pop :shock: :shock: :shock:
Is this some kind of a joke? How on earth can A be correct? I'll go for answer choice F in that case, the door :arrow:

New Application Tracker : update your school profiles instantly!

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE: Account Management (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2016, 13:45
This post received
KUDOS
this is a test by gmatclub to find the effect of OA on the brain.
Final Result: OA truncates the reasoning of an average GMAT student to a level that will make your neighbour's dog to start barking and howling.

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
WE: Real Estate (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2016, 14:03
:lol: :lol: :lol: that one cracked me up. I hope you its true though, coz if Gmat dares throw a question like this at me. I'd rather lose the point than choose A, for the sake of logic. :P

New Application Tracker : update your school profiles instantly!

Director
Director
S
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2016, 06:03
Can someone give a detailed OE ? Please specify the source too ...

" The few , the fearless "

Director
Director
S
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2016, 08:43
Got this one wrong ... Can you please specify the source ? Detailed solution will be appreciated ...

" The few , the fearless "

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2016, 09:25
Nez wrote:
Final Result: OA truncates the reasoning of an average GMAT student to a level that will make your neighbour's dog to start barking and howling.

Hi,
i have edited the Q and now the correct answer is A..
yes surprisingly from last 3 years, few of us found the truncated option A as correct and many recieved KUDOS for flawed question and answer

basically the logical reasoning is..
Something doing A is more likely to be B. X is B, so it must be A..

the LOGIC in Q and A follows same flow..

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

GMAT online Tutor

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Studies show that children who listen too much classic music [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2016, 02:00
The question states that If a person does X, he is Y. Since A is Y, he must do X.

Answer choice A clearly mimics this logic.

If advertisements(X) in newspaper are shown to increase sales(Y) and if Store in the city(A) sold more shoes(Y), the it must have bigger advertisement(X).

Thanks.
Ankit Bansal

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.8
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2016, 01:11
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Here is a way I derived the answer A (after wrongly chose B) - I think it's just for my understanding, not sure if with this approach I will consume much more time or not during the real exam.

(The bracket indicate negate. e.g X, (X) = not X)

Please discuss more.

Thanks,
HL

[4.33] In the end, what would you gain from everlasting remembrance? Absolutely nothing. So what is left worth living for?
This alone: justice in thought, goodness in action, speech that cannot deceive, and a disposition glad of whatever comes, welcoming it as necessary, as familiar, as flowing from the same source and fountain as yourself. (Marcus Aurelius)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2016, 05:47
This is what I think the explanation would be:

music --> silent
Share have silent --> Shawn must have music

A) Ad --> increase no. of shoe sold
City shoe has higher no. of shoes sold --> City shoe mush have Ad
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2016, 13:44
chetan2u wrote:
Nez wrote:

Hi,
i have edited the Q and now the correct answer is A..
yes surprisingly from last 3 years, few of us found the truncated option A as correct and many recieved KUDOS for flawed question and answer

basically the logical reasoning is..
Something doing A is more likely to be B. X is B, so it must be A..

the LOGIC in Q and A follows same flow..

Hi chetan2u,

Can you please provide a breakdown for each of answer choices? I can see why A is correct, but I think it is beneficial to understand why the others are wrong.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 01:19

It starts with a cause and effect.

Cause: Listening To Too Much Classical Music

Effect: Become Silent Adult

Then it goes from effect to cause.

Effect: Shawn is silent.

Cause: Therefore, Shawn must have listened to more classical music than I did.

Now look at answer choice C/(3).

C starts with a cause and effect.

Cause: Fat

Effect: Shorter Life

Then it goes to cause again.

Causes: Tom is fat. Peter is thin.

Then effect.

Effect: Tom expected to live a shorter life than Peter will.

So the original argument starts with cause and effect and then reverses cause and effect, using effect as the basis for a conclusion about cause.

C, on the other hand, starts with cause and effect but does not reverse cause and effect. Rather C uses cause to predict effect
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Sep 2016, 05:46
Quote:

1) The shoes store in the city must have had a bigger advertisement in the Today paper than the shoes store in the countryside. The shoes store in the city sold twice as many shoes as the shoes store in the countryside did last week, and a Today paper advertisement has been shown to increase the number of shoes sold.

2) Studies show that fat people live shorter lives, on average, than thin people do. Tom is a fat man and therefore might be expected to live a shorter life than Peter, who is a thin man.

3) The mayor stated that all meetings would be canceled for the day if rainfall last night were greater than five inches. Therefore, since the rainfall was only four inches, we must be attending the meeting today.

4) According to research, people with unusual math talent do not achieve their true potential unless they are given formal lessons. Therefore Jeff, who has achieved his full math potential without formal lessons must not have unusual math talent.

5)People who like dogs also like cats. Karen does not like cats, so she must not like dogs either.

I feel there is definitely a flaw of 'If X, then Y' implies 'Hence y, so X' along with a comparative analogy to be drawn which can be seen only in option A. All the other options only exploit the flaw aspect and hence doesnot parallel the given argument. Let me know your views..:)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2016, 01:42
Clearly the important bit here is the comparison between two... Also the comparison only states that the Y-X X-Y inversion in the context of comparison
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2016, 12:07
carcass
I am still not able to understand why A is a correct choice. If possible, please elaborate. Also, reason behind to reject E.
Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 May 2017, 17:26
My 2 cents:
This question is a replica of this question:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/top150-cr-st ... fl=similar
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Studies show that children who listen too much classic music [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2017, 00:34
This post received
KUDOS
I go with option A, here is my reasoning :)

First, lets see the way the argument is phrased.

They first put forth a theory, stating that children who listen to classical music, grow up to be silent adults. The next sentence draws a comparison between Shawn and the author and then comes to a conclusion based on the theory. Let us see which analogy fits best with the above.

1) The shoes store in the city must have had a bigger advertisement in the Today paper than the shoes store in the countryside. The shoes store in the city sold twice as many shoes as the shoes store in the countryside did last week, and a Today paper advertisement has been shown to increase the number of shoes sold.

Lets come to this one later

2) Studies show that fat people live shorter lives, on average, than thin people do. Tom is a fat man and therefore might be expected to live a shorter life than Peter, who is a thin man.

Here, the argument first puts forth a theory and the conclusion is something that happens in the future and does not have a definitive outcome unlike the main argument where we know for sure how they turn out as adults. Thus this option is wrong.

3) The mayor stated that all meetings would be canceled for the day if rainfall last night were greater than five inches. Therefore, since the rainfall was only four inches, we must be attending the meeting today.

Similar to option 2, non-definitive future event.

4) According to research, people with unusual math talent do not achieve their true potential unless they are given formal lessons. Therefore Jeff, who has achieved his full math potential without formal lessons must not have unusual math talent.

This seems like a good option, but lets remember that in the main argument we made a comparison between 2 persons. In this argument, we are talking only about Jeff and his mathematical talents.

5)People who like dogs also like cats. Karen does not like cats, so she must not like dogs either.

Similar to option number 4, we only talk about Karen.

This leaves us with option number 1. Here we know for sure that the city sales were much better than the country side sales and we are also having a comparison between the city and country sales .
Current Student
B
Concentration: Operations, International Business
Schools: MIT ZLOG (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q40 V33
GMAT 2: 650 Q44 V36
GPA: 3.83
WE: Operations (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 21:29
I'll try and explain my reasoning for this question, I hope I can help explain why A is correct and the rest are not.

Breakdown:
Premise:Children -> Listen too much classical music -> Become Silent Adults
Conclusion:
Shawn is silent <- Listened to more Classical than I
I am not silent <- Listened to less classical than Shawn

City Store sold more shoes<- Posted Bigger Ad than Country store
Country store sold less shoes <- Poster smaller Ad than City store
Any store -> Puts Ads -> Increases Sales.
{Correct}

Hope you can see the correct logic here

Conclusion is made the premise here and a new conclusion is asserted.{Wrong}

This is a straightforward logical statement, but is not the same as the question. {Wrong}

There is no comparison between Jeff and another person, therefore the reasoning isn't similar to the question stem. {Wrong}

Similar to option D, Karen's preference isnt compared to another person. This is again different than the question stem, ergo: {Wrong}

Does my explanation make sense?
Re: Studies show that children who listen too much classic music   [#permalink] 24 Dec 2017, 21:29

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 41 posts ] 

Studies show that children who listen too much classic music

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap