Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:32 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4719 [74]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [17]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [10]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4719 [3]
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Re: Studies show that young people with higher-than-average blood pressure [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Ok, i'll rewrite the whole sentence with its correct answer, but i'll also place the qualifiers in parenthesis so that you can see them better:

Studies show that young people (with higher-than-average blood pressure) (whose families have a history of high blood pressure) are more likely than others to develop a severe form of the condition.

as you can see, "with higher....." is a discriptive phrase describing "young people," then right after that, we have another descriptive phrase that runs immediately after it (whose families.....). Because it is perfectly fine to have 2 phrases running after each other, the "whose families" is also describing the same noun "young people." If there was also a third phrase that would come right after "whose families.....", THEN we MUST have a comma in order to avoid any reference confusion. However, according to the grammar rule, it is perfectly fine to have two descriptive phrases running after each other like our problem above.

Clear?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4719 [1]
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Re: Studies show that young people with higher-than-average blood pressure [#permalink]
Kudos
I really think it's about being logical about it. Since we know about the rule that 2 descriptive phrases can run after each other, if you think that the second phrase is describing the first phrase, then take a look to see if the connection between the 2 phrases is logical. If the connection isn't logical, then it must be referring to the noun before the first phrase. As long as the grammar rule isn't broken, then it should be acceptable. On the other hand, if the 2 phrases could logically describe each other, but this is not the intension of the sentence, then a comma in this case would be necessary.

Also, when you take a look at other answer choices, doesn't answer choice B seem to be the least damaging answer? Although the correct answer choice may not necessarily present its grammar structure in the most ideal way, the correct answer choice must be the choice that, at least, has the least damage as possible.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1622 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Can you please let us know the source of the SC. Also underlying the sentence in the Q would help us :)

IMO, even with OA B (which looks the best among options), it doesn't look correct:

Studies show that young people with higher-than-average blood pressure whose families have a history of high blood pressure are more likely than others to develop a severe form of the condition.

I feel there should be a comma or "and" to connect the two sections

Studies show that young people with higher-than-average blood pressure, and whose families have a history of high blood pressure, are more likely than others to develop a severe form of the condition.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5422 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
I dont think we need a COMMA before AND. As per your reasoning ", and whose" is incorrectly modifying the young ppl and also we have two clauses while the second has be an dependent clause.

If you read the last non-underlined part, we have a comparison - are more likely than others. For this likely than others, we need the plural subject modified by some characteristics, which is in B.

I think if we have COMMA before and after the entire part in B then that will be correctly modified correct answer:

Studies show that young people with higher-than-average blood pressure, whose families have a history of high blood pressure, are more likely than others to develop a severe form of the condition.

gmattokyo wrote:
Can you please let us know the source of the SC. Also underlying the sentence in the Q would help us :)

IMO, even with OA B (which looks the best among options), it doesn't look correct:

Studies show that young people with higher-than-average blood pressure whose families have a history of high blood pressure are more likely than others to develop a severe form of the condition.

I feel there should be a comma or "and" to connect the two sections

Studies show that young people with higher-than-average blood pressure, and whose families have a history of high blood pressure, are more likely than others to develop a severe form of the condition.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: UWC
Own Kudos [?]: 8798 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE:Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
E: young people with higher-than-average blood pressure with a history of high blood pressure running in their family....

Option E seems to nonsensically imply that blood pressure has a history of high blood pressure
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 696 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
is adding "And " to the choice E would have made it OA as well ?

Andwith a history of high blood pressure running in their family
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I'm not sure but I would guess its still not the best choice and my reasoning is that "and" would try and make the phrases parallel but the phrase after the "and"(a history of high blood pressure) would be a prepositional phrase while the phrase before the "and" (higher-than-average blood pressure) is not.

On a different note, Shraddha, isn't 'runs/running in the family an idiomatic phrase?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi @vishu1414,

The sentence will read as follows if we add “and” before “with”:

Studies show that young people with higher-than-average blood pressure and with a history of high blood pressure running in their family are more likely than others to develop a severe form of the condition.

The answer will still not be correct because the problem of “running” still persists. Also “and” introduces a list in the sentence. The sentence now talks about two kinds of young people – first kind with higher-than-average blood pressure and the second kind with the history of blood pressure in the family. This certainly is not the intended meaning.

@macjas:
The correct “idiom” is “run/running in the family” alright. But when we use the term history, we say that “he has a history of heart disease in his family”. We do not use “run/running” with history. We can say: Heart diseases run in his family, OR His family has the history of heart diseases.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Hey Shraddha thanks for the input. I do have another question about E though.

Concerning the word "with" in the context of the sentence:

Studies show that young people with higher-than-average blood pressure with a history of high blood pressure running in their family

Does "with" refer back to "young people" or "higher-than-average blood pressure". I don't know if this is a matter of grammar or logic?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [3]
Send PM
Kudos