GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jul 2018, 19:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Study of Relationship between aggression and Television viewing

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT Date: 11-23-2015
GPA: 3.6
WE: Science (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Study of Relationship between aggression and Television viewing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2015, 10:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

74% (01:34) correct 26% (01:51) wrong based on 289 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

In a study of the relationship between aggression and television viewing in nursery school children, many interesting interactions among family styles, aggression, and television viewing were found. High aggression occurred in both high-viewing and low viewing children and this seemed to be related to parental lifestyle. High-achieving, competitive, middle-class parents, whose children did not watch much television, had more aggressive children than
parents who planned their lives in an organized, child-centered way, which included larger amounts of television viewing.

Which one of the following conclusions is best supported by the passage?

(A) Low levels of television viewing often lead to high levels of aggression among children.

(B) The level of aggression of a child cannot be predicted from levels of television viewing alone.

(C) If high-achieving, competitive, parents were more child-centered, their children would be less aggressive.

(D) High levels of television viewing can explain high levels of aggression among children only when the parents are not child-centered.

(E) Parental lifestyle is less important than the amount of television viewing in determining the aggressiveness of children.

"Please hit kudos, if you like this post"
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V27
GPA: 3.11
WE: Other (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Study of Relationship between aggression and Television viewing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2016, 08:23
Can experts help us here please?/////

Press +1 Kudos if my post helped you a little and help me to ulcock the tests ;) Wish you all success

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Re: Study of Relationship between aggression and Television viewing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2016, 17:36
Resad95 wrote:
Can experts help us here please?/////

If you could specifically mention what your query is, then I would be able address it properly.

(Once you post your query, please send me a PM with the link to your post, so that I do not miss it).
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2016, 23:59
Since this is inference question , most logical answer which " must be true" is B that levels of aggression cannot be predicted from TV viewing alone. But my question is about C, can inference answer have " If " in it ?

Press +1 Kudos if my post helped you a little and help me to ulcock the tests ;) Wish you all success

Board of Directors
G
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2016, 14:12
WillGetIt wrote:
In a study of the relationship between aggression and television viewing in nursery school children, many interesting interactions among family styles, aggression, and television viewing were found. High aggression occurred in both high-viewing and low viewing children and this seemed to be related to parental lifestyle. High-achieving, competitive, middle-class parents, whose children did not watch much television, had more aggressive children than
parents who planned their lives in an organized, child-centered way, which included larger amounts of television viewing.

Which one of the following conclusions is best supported by the passage?

(A) Low levels of television viewing often lead to high levels of aggression among children.

(B) The level of aggression of a child cannot be predicted from levels of television viewing alone.

(C) If high-achieving, competitive, parents were more child-centered, their children would be less aggressive.

(D) High levels of television viewing can explain high levels of aggression among children only when the parents are not child-centered.

(E) Parental lifestyle is less important than the amount of television viewing in determining the aggressiveness of children.

"Please hit kudos, if you like this post"

Child Agression -

1. Relationship with Child Agression Vs Television viewing

High Agression occurred in both -

(a) TV High-viewing and
(b) TV Low viewing

2. Relationship with Child Agression Vs Family styles

High-achieving, competitive, middle-class parents ( Who Do not watch TV ) > Organized, child-centered way ( Watched TV)

Since , both High TV Viewing & Low TV viewing results in child agression it cant alone be used to predict child agression ( B) follows from the passage...

(C) Talks about a possibility - Which doesn't directly flow from the stimulus

Moreover, we are not sure about the result of the action proposed in the option, it can result in less aggression/more agression...

hence , I wdon't like (C) and the other options...

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2016, 04:19
Resad95 wrote:
Since this is inference question , most logical answer which " must be true" is B that levels of aggression cannot be predicted from TV viewing alone. But my question is about C, can inference answer have " If " in it ?

Yes - a cause-effect relation ( if...then clause) can also be inferred. However in this case, C cannot be inferred because it is not known which of the 5 factors or their combination (organized, child-centered, high-achieving, competitive, middle-class) contributes to the aggression of the children. It is poossible that if the parent is competitive, no mater what, the child will become aggressive. Thus C cannot be deduced.
Retired Moderator
P
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2016, 06:41
From the stem - Low and High level both lead to aggressive behaviour.

Parental lifestyle seemed to be linked to the behaviour.

The relationship and extent is not stated explicitly. only B justifies.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2016, 08:26
sayantanc2k wrote:
Resad95 wrote:

Yes - a cause-effect relation ( if...then clause) can also be inferred. However in this case, C cannot be inferred because it is not known which of the 5 factors or their combination (organized, child-centered, high-achieving, competitive, middle-class) contributes to the aggression of the children. It is poossible that if the parent is competitive, no mater what, the child will become aggressive. Thus C cannot be deduced.

Thank you :wink:

Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2017, 23:37
The argument says : Relationship between aggression and Television viewing was found.

1) High aggression occurred in both High and Low viewing.
2) Parental Lifestyle is also responsible for this.

(A) Low levels of television viewing often lead to high levels of aggression among children. This is too broad.

(B) The level of aggression of a child cannot be predicted from levels of television viewing alone. : Correct, we discussed there are two reasons mentioned. So, how could it be only 1 factor alone.

(C) If high-achieving, competitive, parents were more child-centered, their children would be less aggressive. No, had this occurred, that would have occurred. Incorrect. We know what they do as high achieving and as competitive but now what if they were child centered.

(D) High levels of television viewing can explain high levels of aggression among children only when the parents are not child-centered. : Again too broad. May be parents are child centered still they are aggressive,

(E) Parental lifestyle is less important than the amount of television viewing in determining the aggressiveness of children. We cannot make such comparisons on or won unless we have any such information in the passage.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Re: Study of Relationship between aggression and Television viewing   [#permalink] 03 Apr 2017, 23:37

Study of Relationship between aggression and Television viewing

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap