Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [1]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [1]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GPA: 3.56
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2224 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Re: Study Plan for score improvement from 600 to 720+ in 3 months [#permalink]
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi AnanyaPS,

In the title of your post, you refer to a 600 - is that Score from a practice CAT/mock or from the Official GMAT?

Based on your work schedule, you will likely need a Study Plan that is flexible to your availability. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied so far?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs/mocks (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi AnanyaPS,

In the title of your post, you refer to a 600 - is that Score from a practice CAT/mock or from the Official GMAT?

Based on your work schedule, you will likely need a Study Plan that is flexible to your availability. Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied so far?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs/mocks (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Hi RichC

Thank you for your reply . I have given the GMAT once and the 600(Q41,V30) is my official GMAT score. Please find below the answers to your questions, I hope my answers can provide some insights to you, which in turn can help me.

Studies:
1) How long have you studied so far? I had been preparing for roughly 3 months and then I gave the GMAT and landed the disastrous score of 600. Right now, I am planning to start my prep again.
2) What study materials have you used so far? I had used the MGMAT books and MGMAT CATs. Now I have the eGMAT video lessons and access to GMAT club tests.
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs/mocks (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?I wasn't scoring really well, my average score used to hover around 610 -630 .

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School? I plan to apply in Aug , Sept 2019.
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?I plan to apply for Indian B-Schools (IIMs, ISB). It is a highly competitive pool, anything less than a 710 won't help me in getting a interview call.

Thank you for all your help.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi AnanyaPS,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your CAT score results - along with your Official Score - show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 610 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. It's possible that you have developed some 'bad habits' during your prior studies that will take some time to 'fix' (and replace with new 'good habits'). Raising a 600 to the point that you could consistently score 720+ will likely require at least another 2-3 months of consistent, guided study - and you'll have to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

Based on your timeline, you have plenty of time to continue studying and improving - which is good. Given your work schedule though, it might be challenging to commit to a consistent study routine, but you're going to have to find a way to study throughout the week - with a focus on the proper Tactics and patterns of the Exam.

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn't provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi AnanyaPS,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. To be honest, it’s quite difficult for anyone to give you an exact study plan, since all students are unique and need different timelines to prepare for the GMAT. That being said, before you get started with your prep, you should familiarize yourself with the GMAT and then take an official GMAT practice exam. Taking that practice exam will give you a better sense of the road ahead.

If after taking your practice exam you’d like further advice regarding your study plan, please report back here, and I can provide some specific advice. You also may find it helpful to read the following articles about how to study for the GMAT while working in a demanding job and how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Good luck!
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16594 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi, AnanyaPS

Firstly, improving your score from 600 to 720 is achievable in 3 months assuming that you spend at least 3 hours a day. However, considering that it is actually difficult for you to be committed to working on GMAT, your own strategy to improve is truly necessary, which is time-efficient and effective. To hit the score over 720, you should work on both Quant and Verbal. It seems that you need to solidify the basic concepts and establish the foundation of both. But, you can also focus on either Quant or Verbal. You should know which section would be easier and less time-consuming to improve.

For example, if you are good at logical thinking, then you’d better focus on getting high quant score. To give some advice about how to improve quant, focus on 5 key topics (Integer, Statistics, Inequality, Probability, and Absolute Value) that account for 80% of the GMAT exam. You don’t have to waste time studying the other topics. Then, focus on DS, since DS can be a quick win. If you master DS, it will be easier and less time consuming to tackle PS problems. There are patterns and logic to GMAT quant problems and you can save a lot of time especially in DS questions. With Math Revolution ’s ’Variable Approach’ for DS questions, you can minimize time spent on each question while improving accuracy (over 80 percent) (solving a question in + having a checking time = 2 minute) On average, our students have about 10 minutes to spare before the exam ends. To briefly explain our ’variable approach’, we apply ’variables–equations matching system’ to the DS questions. For example, you first need to count the number of variables and equations given in the question. By doing so, you can determine which answer choice will most likely be the answer. If there are only two variables in a question, you need at least 2 equations to solve the question. Since two conditions in the question usually give 2 separate equations, it is most likely that C (both conditions together are sufficient) will be the answer.

Then, you can apply our ‘IVY approach’ to PS type questions. Our IVY approach for PS focuses on translation of the question words. All the PS questions can be translated into mathematical formula. By applying ‘IVY axiom’, you can quickly solve the questions and have 10 minutes to spare. (More information about our approach: https://www.mathrevolution.com/gmat/vs)

Please let us know if you have further questions.
You can reach us at info@mathrevolution.com

Success is within your reach,
GMAT Club Bot