Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:54 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: Study Strategies for Weak Quant [#permalink]
Don't be afraid to look at the answers and answer explanations! That's what they're there for.

The key, however, is once you look at them, you need to be able to

1. replicate them on a blank sheet of paper
2. understand them

If you can replicate every answer (including the process) of every quant question in the GMAT, you will have a hell of a GMAT score, right?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yeah, that’s the hope. It’s just amazing how there are people where it comes natural to them. I really didn’t touch Verbal and got a reasonably high score on my first try.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi tvotech92,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to retake the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi tvotech92,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to retake the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich

Thank you for the reply. So I'll do my best to answer these questions as succinctly and accurately as I can.

1.) Started studying two months ago.

2.) 2015 Kaplan GMAT book, 2017 Official GMAT Quantitative Guide, GMAT Club free online.

3.) This is where I feel my practice was inadequate. I only took two times practice tests on Princeton Review (530 overall. 65 percentile Verbal, 23 percentile quant) and the times GMAT Cub test where I scored 500 with similar thresholds.

4.) Goal score is mid-600s-700

5.) Likely within 3/4 months

6.) Starting the application process now

7.) University of Wisconsin, University of Southern Illinois, University of Texas at Arlington. (I want to work in Marketing Research and these schools have specific programs for it.) Other schools I may consider applying to if I'm feeling ambitious and I tremendously raise my GMAT are Duke and Indiana.

Thanks for all your help!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi tvotech92,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your CAT scores - along with your Official GMAT Score - show that you essentially performed the same each time (around 550 +/- a few points). Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so since you've studied for just 2 months, there's a reasonable chance that you will naturally improve as you continue to study. That having been said, raising a 570 around 100+ points will likely take at least another 2 months of consistent, guided study. You could conceivably gain all of those missing points in the Quant section, but with your naturally-strong Verbal skills, there are some points to be gained in the Verbal section as well.

Many Test Takers who use a "book heavy" study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided. This is meant to say that you would likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some kind (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Excellent points and pretty much spot on with where I'm at. My cousin, currently at Kellogg, took the test 4 times and said he raised his score by at least 50 points by taking Target Test Prep online, which specifically geared towards his weak quant. I think I will consider that as well.

Amazingly, the program director at UW told me to go ahead and apply despite the lower than average score and that we would "discuss the implications of it" when it come to me to talk about financial aid consideration, which to me seems to imply that I am not out of consideration at Wisconsin despite being statistically significantly out of their 20-80 GMAT threshold. I will take that advice with a grain of salt. She also said the committee would likely ask that I retake the GMAT but would give me time to do so in the summer.

I believe I can sufficiently put in at least 10-15 hours per week of study. 2 hours a day, 4/5 hours on a day off from work (I work full time), and a rest day. Would you recommend that?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
GMAT Club Bot