Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:10 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1033 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Re: Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experi [#permalink]
sujit2k7 wrote:
Just adding one point :

Good point @gmacforjyoab;
Option A)Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled
the secrets of how embryos develop to begin to be unraveled by scientists.

Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance..., => Here the appositive is referring back to whole thing 'Studying the fruit fly' ... as if 'Studying' is some adj describing fruit fly ... SO wrong

Option D also commits the same mistake...

rather we should say The study of the Fruit fly,a household nuisance.... --> as in option E

I will be glad if someone can give some more examples from OG or gmatprep where 'v-ing+noun+appositive' becomes bad construction :lol:

Hi Sujit2k7 ,

I guess the appositive here is an concrete appositive and hence it doesnt have to refer to studying , rather can refer to the immediate noun preceding the appositive. Hence the issue here is not due to incorrect reference of the appositive.
Perhaps you might want to check this link and a couple of posts by RON on the same topic on manhattan forum .
www.manhattangmat.com/forums/post35386.html#p35386

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

-Jyothi
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1033 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
Re: Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experi [#permalink]
mikemcgarry wrote:
sujit2k7 wrote:
Just adding one point :
Option A)Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled
the secrets of how embryos develop to begin to be unraveled by scientists.

Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance..., => Here the appositive is referring back to whole thing 'Studying the fruit fly' ... as if 'Studying' is some adj describing fruit fly ... SO wrong. Option D also commits the same mistake...

rather we should say The study of the Fruit fly,a household nuisance.... --> as in option E

I will be glad if someone can give some more examples from OG or gmatprep where 'v-ing+noun+appositive' becomes bad construction :lol:

Dear sujit2k7,
The default for any noun-modifier is the Modifier Touch Rule. See this post on modifiers.
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/modifiers- ... orrection/
Thus, in the structure [gerund][noun, object of gerund][modifier] it would be perfectly natural for the modifier to modify the noun it touches. There is absolutely nothing wrong with (A) in this regard.
Reflecting on Confucius, the great Chinese philosopher, grants us insights into ....
Properly cooking Brussels sprouts, a member of the cabbage family, is not as hard as ...
This is such a standard and correct form that I can't imagine anything in the OG in which this would be wrong. In this question, choice (A) has other problems, chiefly its passive structure, but the placement of the appositive is flawless.

In many constructions, if the object or predicate of the gerund is relatively short, then having modifier modify the gerund would also be perfectly acceptable,
Reading Shakespeare, a laudable habit in and of itself, can teach one about ....
Jogging up and down stairs, an exercise made famous in Rocky, does less harm to ....
These are all correct. I'm not sure what your question is --- does this answer your question?

Mike :-)

Wow Mike ...thanks for correcting me...
Still i have one doubt we have seen examples how GMAT tricks on "lowering interest rates" v/s "lowering of interest rates"
Is not in the same way "Studying the fruit fly" is different from "Study of fruit fly"
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
sujit2k7 wrote:
Wow Mike ...thanks for correcting me...
Still i have one doubt we have seen examples how GMAT tricks on "lowering interest rates" v/s "lowering of interest rates"
Is not in the same way "Studying the fruit fly" is different from "Study of fruit fly"

Dear sujit2k7
Notice ---
lowering interest rates = good
studying fruit flies = good
but
a lowering of interest rates = bad
a studying of fruit flies = bad
Now, what's very curious about this juxtaposition, the verb "to study" has a noun form "a study", but the verb "to lower" doesn't have a corresponding noun form "a lower" --- the closest noun would be something like "decrease" or "decline"
a study of fruit flies = good
a decrease in interest rates = good
Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Sat: V
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 07-22-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
jyotsnasarabu wrote:
Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled the secrets of how embryos develop to begin to be unraveled by scientists.
A) Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled the secrets of how embryos develop to begin to be unraveled by scientists.
B) By the study of the fruit fly, a household nuisance and also a time-honored experimental subject, it was possible for the secrets of how embryos develop to begin to be unraveled by scientists.
C) By studying a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, the fruit fly enabled scientist to begin to unravel the secrets of how embryos develop.
D) By studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance and also a time-honored experimental subject, the secrets of how embryos develop are beginning to be unraveled by scientist.
E) The study of the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled scientist to begin to unravel the secrets of how embryos develop.

The options are C, D and E are all wrong with the singular use of scientist. Someone please edit the options.
With "Scientists" the option E is a clear choice.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
jyotsnasarabu wrote:
D) By studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance and also a time-honored experimental subject, the secrets of how embryos develop are beginning to be unraveled by scientists.

I just wana make sure that in D, we have a dangling modifier. I mean making the independent clause Passive doesn't fix that problem.. Right?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I have a question in option E

The study of the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled scientists to begin to unravel the secrets of how embryos develop.

In this, the subject is the study but the modifier "a household nuisance" modifies the fruit fly. Shouldn't this be wrong?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
saaror wrote:
I have a question in option E

The study of the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled scientists to begin to unravel the secrets of how embryos develop.

In this, the subject is the study but the modifier "a household nuisance" modifies the fruit fly. Shouldn't this be wrong?

It is alright. The standard rule is that a modifier modifies the noun it touches. Here the modifier "a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject" touches "fruit fly" and correctly modifies it. This is a standard placement of modifier.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
O got this all wrong on my mock but here is how I would solve it re looking at each of the questions..

Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled the secrets of how embryos develop to begin to be unraveled by scientists.

approach - cancel -, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, - which now leaves us with

Studying the fruit fly has enabled the secrets of how embryos develop to begin to be unraveled by scientists.

Meaning. Scientist have studied FF which enables them to understand the secret of how embryos develop
Problems in the original sentence
- The subject is scientist right at the end
- The study has enabled the scientist to unravel secrets
- how embryos develop to begin

(A) Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled the secrets of how embryos develop to begin to be unraveled by scientists.
because of the above reason a is out

(B) By the study of the fruit fly, a household nuisance and also a time-honored experimental subject, it was possible for the secrets of how embryos develop to begin to be unraveled by scientists.
same reason as above "how embryos develop to begin to be" + "by the study of" puts the entire sentence into the past tense

(C) By studying a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, the fruit fly enabled scientists to begin to unravel the secrets of how embryos develop.
"by the study of" puts the entire sentence into the past tense + the comma has been removed at the start

(D) By studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance and also a time-honored experimental subject, the secrets of how embryos develop are beginning to be unraveled by scientists.
originally I chose this but once I re-studied it I realised
"by the study of" puts the entire sentence into the past tense + beginning makes it past tense but the original sentence is present tence

(E) The study of the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled scientists to begin to unravel the secrets of how embryos develop.
right answer
- present tense
- remove the ing a red light always to re-evaluate the answer
- correct the awkward part of "how embryos develop to begin"
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
GPA: 3.3
Send PM

A. Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled the secrets of how embryos develop to begin to be unraveled by scientists.
(1) modifier error: studying the fruit fly can’t enable the secrets; studying the fruit fly can enable SCIENTISTS to unravel or identify the secrets

B. By the study of the fruit fly, a household nuisance and also a time-honored experimental subject, it was possible for the secrets of how embryos develop to begin to be unraveled by scientists.
(1) improper comparison marker: “and also” doesn’t convey the proper comparison – “a household nuisance” is bad and “a time-honored experimental subject” is good;

C. By studying a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, the fruit fly enabled scientists to begin to unravel the secrets of how embryos develop.
(1) modifier error: the fruit fly didn’t study anything

D. By studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance and also a time-honored experimental subject, the secrets of how embryos develop are beginning to be unraveled by scientists.
(1) modifier error: “the secrets” didn’t study the fruit fly; (2) improper comparison marker: “and also” doesn’t convey the proper comparison – “a household nuisance” is bad and “a time-honored experimental subject” is good;

E. The study of the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled scientists to begin to unravel the secrets of how embryos develop.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
A. 'Studying the fruit fly' needs to modify 'scientists' and not 'household nuisance'
B. 'it was possible for secrets to ... to unravel' is incorrect. Implies secrets unravel by themselves.
'it was possible .. for scientists' is the correct usage.
C. Implies that the fruit fly is 'studying'.
D. 'By studying' is modifying secrets which is incorrect.
E. Correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
Dear EMPOWERgmatVerbal and MartyTargetTestPrep
could you enlighten why the preposition followed by adverb ?
Does the preposition ought to follow by object only? (noun/pronoun).

Another question, are there rules that define the conditions:
1 Ver+ing Of noun - correct
2. Verb+ing Of noun - Incorrect
3. noun of Verb+ing - correct
4. noun of Verb+ing - Incorrect

Thank you in advance.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts