Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 305 [11]
Given Kudos: 28
GPA: 3.9
WE:Account Management (Accounting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: HKUST '22 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [4]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Re: Success in school, according to many of the more cynical critics of pu [#permalink]
Kudos
D and E are close

D is missing 'Many more'

So E is most suitable

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [2]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Re: Success in school, according to many of the more cynical critics of pu [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Doer01 wrote:
Hi,

What makes A incorrect?

Doer01 A is incorrect because the clause "according to many of the more cynical critics" is set into the sentence as an inessential clause. However, the whole meaning of the sentence depends on the fact that this is the ideology of cynical critics.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.22
Send PM
Kudos
Rubina11 wrote:
Success in school, according to many of the more cynical critics of public education, is like playing marbles: Distinguished achievement depends not upon talent but upon luck.

A. Success in school, according to many of the more cynical critics of public education, is like playing marbles:

B. Criticizing success in public education cynically, many compare successful schooling to a
successful marble game:

C. School is a game of marbles, according to many of the more cynical critics of public education

D. The more cynical critics of public education say that success in schools is like playing marbles:

E. Many of the more cynical critics of public education say that succeeding in school is like playing marbles:

Rubina11 what is the source of this question?? totally took me for a ride
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 543 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
Success in school, according to many of the more cynical critics of public education, is like playing marbles: Distinguished achievement depends not upon talent but upon luck.

A. Success in school, according to many of the more cynical critics of public education, is like playing marbles:-> “success in school” is not parallel with “playing marbles”

B. Criticizing success in public education cynically, many compare successful schooling to a successful marble game: -> who are “many”?
C. School is a game of marbles, according to many of the more cynical critics of public education -> missing conjunction

D. The more cynical critics of public education say that success in schools is like playing marbles: -> “success in school” is not parallel with “playing marbles”
E. Many of the more cynical critics of public education say that succeeding in school is like playing marbles: -> correct: “succeeding in school” is parallel with “playing marbles”

[size=80][b][i]Posted from my mobile device[/i][/b][/size]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 259 [0]
Given Kudos: 303
Send PM
mikemcgarry Would you like to make some comment on this question ?

Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35488 [0]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Expert Reply
Rubina11 wrote:

A. Success in school, according to many of the more cynical critics of public education, is like playing marbles:

B. Criticizing success in public education cynically, many compare successful schooling to a
successful marble game:

C. School is a game of marbles, according to many of the more cynical critics of public education

D. The more cynical critics of public education say that success in schools is like playing marbles:

E. Many of the more cynical critics of public education say that succeeding in school is like playing marbles:

Rubina11 , please post the source of this question (and all questions).

Please do so in the original post, a few lines beneath E, this way:

Source: _________
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 305 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GPA: 3.9
WE:Account Management (Accounting)
Send PM
avikroy wrote:
Rubina11 wrote:

successful marble game:

Rubina11 what is the source of this question?? totally took me for a ride

This question is taken from this site
https://www.gmat-ask.narod.ru/gmat/gmscex1.htm
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 696
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
WE:General Management (Health Care)
Send PM
Success in school, according to many of the more cynical critics of pu [#permalink]
Here’s my two cents’ worth on the key errors from getting to what the sentence really means:

The stem means to say that doing well in school is akin to playing a game of marbles, and that doing well in school is being compared this way because such an achievement requires luck - according to a specific group of people (the not-your-average, harsher ones) among education cynics.

Now there are a few key problems, namely:
1. A metaphorical construct (success) is being compared to an activity (game of marbles) - on the GMAT, this is not considered a grammatically Apple-2-Apple comparison. We need to find something that compares either an activity or action to another activity or action.

2. The statement is made by a specific group of people, which are the ones who are more cynical than usual towards education.

3. We need to find proper comparative words eg when comparing nouns vs nouns, ‘like’ is preferred to other forms eg ‘as’.

Error analysis:
1. A is out since a metaphorical construct (success) is being compared to an action/activity of playing a game of marbles.

2. Change of meaning: the statement of comparison was made by a specific group of cynics, however in B it is suggesting some unspecified general group of people are making this comment.

3. Change of meaning: Succeeding in school is being compared to playing a game of marbles; however, in C, school is not just likened but in fact is being said to BE a game of marbles. C is out for this reason that the answer choice mistakenly says that when A is like B, A is B - this may not be foolproof and we should keep the level of ambiguity in the stem. On top of that, C is missing a conjunction; even if it didn’t, C would still be out for reasons cited above.

4. Succeeding is being compared to playing (one activity compared to another), while keeping the level of reference made by the specific group of cynics.

5. E commits the same error as in A, hence out.

Answer: D

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
As per my knowledge noun are compared using like ad action using as. Here action is compared using like which is wrong. Can somebody justify.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 696
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
WE:General Management (Health Care)
Send PM
Piyush0410 wrote:
As per my knowledge noun are compared using like ad action using as. Here action is compared using like which is wrong. Can somebody justify.

Piyush0410 my understanding is that in this case, the 'verb-ing' functions as a gerund / noun and thus the correct usage should be to pair the comparison using 'like' instead of 'as'. The word 'succeeding' is functioning as a subject of the sentence, and thus qualifies as a noun /gerund in this case.

Have shared a link here with you that addresses your question:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 39780.html

Additional useful links here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/as-vs-like-c ... 33950.html
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts