Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-27-2013
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 627 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V47
GMAT 3: 780 Q49 V51
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 627 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V47
GMAT 3: 780 Q49 V51
Send PM
Re: Suggest me to improve my verbal score [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi,

I hope that you are well. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Practice your reading. I've posted about this before but the idea is that you should be reading GMAT-Like articles every day to improve your reading speed and comprehension. I like the economist. When you do this reading take your time and try for FULL COMPREHENSION. Re-read sentences that you do not understand and read with a dictionary so that you can look up words that you do not know. As you read think about the main idea of the passage and how the author supports the main idea. Also think about what assumptions the author might be making.

2. Practice with an error log. Keep track of every question that you got wrong or had difficulty with so that you can analyze the question types that are difficult for you. Then you can focus studying content to reinforce your weak areas. Also, periodically re-solve the questions in your error log and remove the questions that you have mastered.

3. Try to stick with real GMAT questions. There are good "fake" math questions out there BUT I am skeptical about the quality of "fake" verbal questions (I have sampled verbal from a bunch of different sources and I'm just not a big fan of anyone's questions.) Verbal clones are much harder to create. That said there is enough official stuff (especially easy/medium questions): You have the Official Guide, The Verbal Review, The 9 GMAT Paper Tests, the 10 FLTs, Question Pack 1, GMATprep (and prep docs), and if you are desperate for more practice there are TONS of LSAT critical reasoning questions and TONS of GRE/LSAT reading comprehension. You can also use SAT sentence correction which is far easier than GMAT but OK for basic practice. You will lack CAT verbal (besides GMATPrep) but the paper tests can give you a pretty good idea of where you are scoring.

Happy Studies!

HG
Intern
Intern
Send PM
HerrGrau wrote:
Hi,

I hope that you are well. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Practice your reading. I've posted about this before but the idea is that you should be reading GMAT-Like articles every day to improve your reading speed and comprehension. I like the economist. When you do this reading take your time and try for FULL COMPREHENSION. Re-read sentences that you do not understand and read with a dictionary so that you can look up words that you do not know. As you read think about the main idea of the passage and how the author supports the main idea. Also think about what assumptions the author might be making.

2. Practice with an error log. Keep track of every question that you got wrong or had difficulty with so that you can analyze the question types that are difficult for you. Then you can focus studying content to reinforce your weak areas. Also, periodically re-solve the questions in your error log and remove the questions that you have mastered.

3. Try to stick with real GMAT questions. There are good "fake" math questions out there BUT I am skeptical about the quality of "fake" verbal questions (I have sampled verbal from a bunch of different sources and I'm just not a big fan of anyone's questions.) Verbal clones are much harder to create. That said there is enough official stuff (especially easy/medium questions): You have the Official Guide, The Verbal Review, The 9 GMAT Paper Tests, the 10 FLTs, Question Pack 1, GMATprep (and prep docs), and if you are desperate for more practice there are TONS of LSAT critical reasoning questions and TONS of GRE/LSAT reading comprehension. You can also use SAT sentence correction which is far easier than GMAT but OK for basic practice. You will lack CAT verbal (besides GMATPrep) but the paper tests can give you a pretty good idea of where you are scoring.

Happy Studies!

HG

Hi,

Thanks for your help, Today i have given my Gmat & scored 600.

q44 & v28. I was like completely lost whenever i am seeing the RC & CR. I afraid to read the one completely cuz of time. I suppose my Verbal score has reach somehow by this point because of SC & some fluke answer in RC & CR. Could you please provide me somemore tip to built strong in there areas. I always feel why would i need to spend time for CR/RC for getting a wrong answer. I could easily able to paraphrase the RC passage & could write of my own way but the question makes me feel like nothing.

Please help me.

In Quant , my target score in 48-49, please provide your suggestion here.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
f2,

The thing about RC - as you point out - paraphrasing the passage is great - but what matters most is actually getting the question right.

Oftentimes, if you read the passage efficiently, you'll free up time to think more critically about the actual question.

See if this video helps you go through RC passages. If you like it, we have more:

https://www.gmatpill.com/practicequestio ... tions.html
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts