Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GMAT Date: 07-04-2013
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GMAT Date: 07-04-2013
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.59
WE:Accounting (Law)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Suggestions on how to include a BusinessWeek article?? [#permalink]
Hey there,

On one hand, it's great that Business Week did an article on you. I mean, that's really flattering and you're right, the article is well written.

However, kple12's point is extremely valid. How does this make you stronger. How does this make you a better applicant? To be blunt, it doesn't. At best, it is a point of interest. I think you should include it but let's think about it in terms of your application:

1) Essays - most essay topics do not allow you to successfully use this article in a natural way. If it was on your take on an industry, for example, you could casually mention it to show insight. But it's on the GMAT vs. CAT and, as a junior, that doesn't mean that much. You were a case study in an article and you can't write an essay on that.

2) Resume - you're right to include it here. This is the only place it makes sense. I think you should consider the phrasing of the bullet to be more impactful but, regardless, this is where it belongs

3) Application - these may, or may not, ask you to list any major accomplishments. Keep in mind the word "accomplishments". I don't believe this is an accomplishment. Once again, it's a point of interest. It'll lend some interest to your resume (which most adcoms read first) but if you confuse it with achievements, it'll raise some eyebrows.

4) Recommendations - no recommender could possibly write about this and, if they did, it would stick out.

Overall, it's a cool point to bring up but (and I don't mean this in a mean way) don't make more of a deal than it is. It's great that you were in an article, but it isn't the cornerstone of your application either.

Bhavik
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Suggestions on how to include a BusinessWeek article?? [#permalink]